Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Sinn Féin's MEPs voted against a new trade deal which will gradually eliminate tariffs on goods moving between the EU and Singapore over the next five years.

The party, along with Independent MEPs Luke 'Ming' Flanagan and Nessa Childers, went against the landmark deal earlier this week.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sf-opposed-new-eu-free-trade-deal-with-singapore-37821965.html

They are just like Trump.

Trump Fein.

In government they will veto free trade costing us thousands of jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I have said Stanley's tweet on Kilmichael/Narrow Water was insensitive and he was right to apologise for that. Triumphalism is wrong.

There was no 'intimidation' or 'heavy's' at her door is what I am claiming. But a friend, who left the house STILL a friend.

I fully respect her right to think it was wrong that he came to the house, but as others have pointed out, she doesn't seem to understand what being a member of an organisation is. That's a different issue.

When Stanley apologises to Varadkar next week, and he will, will you then finally accept that his tweet about Varadkar was dog-whistle homophobia?

It is not just her who thinks it was wrong that he came to the house, it is most normal people who think it is wrong. It is very easy for a white middle-class male of privilege to say there was no intimidation, but you aren't the vulnerable young woman the subject of the intimidation. Your posts have repeatedly demonstrated a failure to understand this, going back as far as the Mairia Cahill threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,977 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Shoot the whistleblower time again.

I don't know of any other organisation that polices its members in that way. I know that for many Sinn Fein members this is hard to understand because it is what they are used to, but no normal voluntary organisation behaves like that.

I wouldn't expect somebody who has no problems with giving internal sensitive confidential files to a friend, to get it either.

jm08 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as 'free' trade.

"What protection teaches us, is to do to ourselves in time of peace what enemies seek to do to us in time of war."
    Henry George

When Stanley apologises to Varadkar next week, and he will, will you then finally accept that his tweet about Varadkar was dog-whistle homophobia?

It is not just her who thinks it was wrong that he came to the house, it is most normal people who think it is wrong. It is very easy for a white middle-class male of privilege to say there was no intimidation, but you aren't the vulnerable young woman the subject of the intimidation. Your posts have repeatedly demonstrated a failure to understand this, going back as far as the Mairia Cahill threads.

He went to the house as a friend and left as a friend. Good enough for me that there was no bullying or intimidation despite your characterisation of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Shoot the whistleblower time again.

I don't know of any other organisation that polices its members in that way. I know that for many Sinn Fein members this is hard to understand because it is what they are used to, but no normal voluntary organisation behaves like that.

Whistleblowing? What was being blown?

As a PRO for Ogra Sinn Fein, she speaks for Ogra Sinn Fein. She says she was contacted by fellow members of Ogra who asked her to bring her complaints through the proper channels.

Every voluntary organisation operates through a committee. You can't have office holders doing solo runs. What she should do is show some respect for her fellow Ogra members by listening to her fellow members and follow the rules.

Incredibly forthright and honest interview from MLMD on Claire Byrne and a lot of it needs to be said particularly 'There is no shared history of what happened on this island'.

Suspected this post was about getting ahead of the bad news, so had a listen to the interview.

Car Crash doesn't suffice to describe it.

Brian Stanley is given a week off because Mary-Lou has a duty of care to members, but no duty of care needed for ordinary members who can have people calling to their door day and night telling them to delete tweets!!

Glad to have on record her view that Warrenpoint was justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

"What protection teaches us, is to do to ourselves in time of peace what enemies seek to do to us in time of war."
    Henry George

'Free' Trade still doesn't exist no matter how much you want to believe it. There are always trades such as giving up some of your sovereignty (which is fine if you understand that is what happens). Its ok to disagree with giving up part of your soverignity as well.

Whistleblowing? What was being blown?

As a PRO for Ogra Sinn Fein, she speaks for Ogra Sinn Fein. She says she was contacted by fellow members of Ogra who asked her to bring her complaints through the proper channels.

Every voluntary organisation operates through a committee. You can't have office holders doing solo runs. What she should do is show some respect for her fellow Ogra members by listening to her fellow members and follow the rules.

https://extra.ie/2020/12/05/news/irish-news/sinn-fein-member-warning/amp

She was whistle-blowing the homophobia within Sinn Fein.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/12/06/sinn-fein-brian-stanley-leo-varadkar-racist-homophobic-tweets-sexuality-members-quit-party/

"Another, Christine O’Mahony resigned from her role as the chairperson of Ógra Sinn Féin in UCD. She said on Twitter: “As a black and bisexual woman I can’t stay silent on these issues. My principles before party.”"

Glad that they are all brave enough to stand up and call it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

He went to the house as a friend and left as a friend. Good enough for me that there was no bullying or intimidation despite your characterisation of it.

More likely he went to have a word as he didn't want it written down so it could be screenshot and shared. That's the only viable reason I'd see for having a face to face 'word'.
    But I'm sure it'll be portrayed as just a friendly chat ofc.

• Advertisement

Suspected this post was about getting ahead of the bad news, so had a listen to the interview.

Car Crash doesn't suffice to describe it.

Brian Stanley is given a week off because Mary-Lou has a duty of care to members, but no duty of care needed for ordinary members who can have people calling to their door day and night telling them to delete tweets!!

Glad to have on record her view that Warrenpoint was justified.

You couldn't have gotten a more graphic portrayal of how right she was about there being 'no shared history n this island' than the interview with Arlene Foster on News at One.

What Michael needs to do is reel Arlene into the conversation that needs to be had about the past. Unless he is going to accept her claims about State colluison here, then there is indeed 'no shared history'.

As to MLMD comment's on Narrow Water and car bombs etc...I couldn't care less if her honesty means SF drops 30 points in the polls, if we end up finding a way to remember a divided past, inclusively and with respect. That would mean the various conflict/wars are all over.

'Free' Trade still doesn't exist no matter how much you want to believe it. There are always trades such as giving up some of your sovereignty (which is fine if you understand that is what happens). Its ok to disagree with giving up part of your soverignity as well.

If you trade under WTO rules you also have to pool sovereignty.

Mind you SF were against Ireland singing up to GATT in 1948 and the Marrakesh argeement in 1994.

Triangle wrote: »
    More likely he went to have a word as he didn't want it written down so it could be screenshot and shared. That's the only viable reason I'd see for having a face to face 'word'.
    But I'm sure it'll be portrayed as just a friendly chat ofc.

Look...read the girl's own words. He went there a 'friend' and left as a 'friend' she didn't want to name, and when she did she worried about the 'friendship'.

that is the facts we know. Don't be led by the blanch characterisations of t as a visit from the 'heavy's' etc. That has been shown to be a lie, not by me, but by the girl's own comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I would be really intrigued to know what "very important role" Stanley, who didn't stand for election for SF until 1999, played in the peace process. :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/Ballymagash_T/status/1335697503765860358

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Look...read the girl's own words. He went there a 'friend' and left as a 'friend' she didn't want to name, and when she did she worried about the 'friendship'.

that is the facts we know. Don't be led by the blanch characterisations of t as a visit from the 'heavy's' etc. That has been shown to be a lie, not by me, but by the girl's own comments.

It does give a view into what you call a friend
    To most people it is someone to maybe go to pub, or have over for dinner, few drinks nice conversation.
    To Francie it is someone who comes over to your house to threaten you and then abuse you online.
    Funny description of a "friend" to me

I would be really intrigued to know what "very important role" Stanley, who didn't stand for election for SF until 1999, played in the peace process. :rolleyes:

Opp's another lie. Which of course requires another lie to get themselves out of. Its a vicious circle.

It does give a view into what you call a friend
    To most people it is someone to maybe go to pub, or have over for dinner, few drinks nice conversation.
    To Francie it is someone who comes over to your house to threaten you and then abuse you online.
    Funny description of a "friend" to me

It is Christine O'Mahony's view of a 'friend'. BECAUSE she said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Incredibly forthright and honest interview from MLMD on Claire Byrne and a lot of it needs to be said particularly 'There is no shared history of what happened on this island'.

Au contraire Francois, that was an absolute car crash.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/podcasts/series/32758

Whenever you hear a Sinn Fein spokesperson talk about something that happened in the past, the safest and most accurate assumption is that it is a lie.

Au contraire Francois, it was an absolute car crash.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/podcasts/series/32758

Honest and forthright answering is often portrayed as a 'carcrash' by those who disagree with what is being said.

No problem accepting that the anti SF posters would disagree.

• Advertisement

It is Christine O'Mahony's view of a 'friend'. BECAUSE she said it.

The person who had to first go to the press because of SF, then had to follow this up with a online tweet to stop the abuse.
    Just because the lady is too nice to call him the xxxxx he is, you are using it as an excuse?(sorry I don't like that word myself either)
    Do you think a friend threatens someone and abuses them online ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

She says she was contacted by fellow members of Ogra who asked her to bring her complaints through the proper channels.

Would love to hear more about these " proper channels " :P

Whenever you hear a Sinn Fein spokesperson talk about something that happened in the past, the safest and most accurate assumption is that it is a lie.

Tweeter may have missed the word 'Process' and the meanng of it. You too can play a very important part in the Process blanch, as I can. It does not neccesarily mean he played a part at the start of the 'Process'.

Deary me. The 'pile-on goes on and on'. :):)

The person who had to first go to the press because of SF, then had to follow this up with a online tweet to stop the abuse.
    Just because the lady is too nice to call him the xxxxx he is, you are using it as an excuse?(sorry I don't like that word myself either)
    Do you think a friend threatens someone and abuses them online ?

Jesus...what a ridiculous take, Utterly craven clinging on to a lie, started by people on here.

He didn't threaten or abuse her online. Another lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Sinn Féin's MEPs voted against a new trade deal which will gradually eliminate tariffs on goods moving between the EU and Singapore over the next five years.

The party, along with Independent MEPs Luke 'Ming' Flanagan and Nessa Childers, went against the landmark deal earlier this week.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sf-opposed-new-eu-free-trade-deal-with-singapore-37821965.html

They are just like Trump.

Trump Fein.

In government they will veto free trade costing us thousands of jobs.

I'd imagine the reason SF and Ming voted against is that they are members of the pro China communist/green alliance.

Honest and forthright answering is often portrayed as a 'carcrash' by those who disagree with what is being said.

No problem accepting that the anti SF posters would disagree.

Brian Stanley: Duty of care once it is SF member, any other party then f**k them why do they need time off. Absolute joke excuse.

Not drag it out after saying he has taken a week off? :D then of course Blah blah blah FG something something something....:p
    What a clueless comment about equivalence of a tweet. This is car crash stuff so far. Shows you what Mary Lou thinks of life when she thinks a judge appointment is more important.

The problem with the tweet is tone. What an idiot.....fair play to Claire. Mary Lou is looking like an idiot

Jesus...what a ridiculous take, Utterly craven clinging on to a lie, started by people on here.

He didn't threaten or abuse her online. Another lie.

She copied the tweet. The one you claimed to have not seen and then magically knew about it. You actually linked to it.

Tweeter may have missed the word 'Process' and the meanng of it. You too can play a very important part in the Process blanch, as I can. It does not neccesarily mean he played a part at the start of the 'Process'.

Deary me. The 'pile-on goes on and on'. :):)

Maybe you would enlighten us on the magnificent contribution that Brian has made to the safety of this country.

She copied the tweet. The one you claimed to have not seen and then magically knew about it. You actually linked to it.

Would someone else explain to SK what is being said here. I give up.

https://twitter.com/christineomg5/status/1334967574828879872

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

How about you read her words:

"a senior SF member called to my house. He said he had a phone call from head office and I was to delete the tweets and call him. It was inappropriate. I left the party as a result. I won't stay silent on homophobia. I didn't want to name him because he's a friend.

Whether he was a neighbour she was friendly with is irrelevant. In her own words SF inappropriately sent someone to her house to silence her. And she left the party because of it.

What you've done is latch onto the fact he was a neighbour and tried to argue it was a neighbourly visit, then moved to the word "friend" and claimed he was there as a friend. Despite not being there yourself and only having her account to go on.

If SF asked your da to have a word with you about making a fool of yourself on the Internet would it be A: SF trying to silence you? *Wink wink* pssst pick this one!!!. Or B: Your da offering friendly advice? *definitely not* Come on Francie, I'm expecting a breakthrough here. You can do it! Concentrate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement