Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

smurgen wrote: »

Finian McGrath was independent. Highly disingenuous tweet tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭PearseCork92

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What anti vax stuff? Sounds like the usual straw clutching again.:)
    You realize Switzerland has put the breaks on vaccine approval for now? Citing incomplete data from the manufacturers.

"Switzerland’s medical regulator Swissmedic says it lacks the necessary information to sign off on three different coronavirus vaccines ordered by the government."

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/incomplete-data-stalls-swiss-authorisation-of-covid-19-vaccines/46196598

But you know they will likely approve them once they get that data, right? Are you implying that Switzerland is anti vax?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Did you actually read the article?
    Phelan, Minister for Local Government and Electoral Reform, refused to stand by his call for a review group.

He told the Irish Sun: “A woman contacted me because her daughter was ill sometime after having received the vaccine.

“Personally speaking I am happy to believe the medical evidence which is to state the vaccine saves lives.

“Ninety per cent of what a politician does is raise issues of constituents. You don’t have to believe or disbelieve what you are being asked. Your job is to raise it.”

On the symptoms he highlighted, he replied:“From the point of view of the lay person there are similarities. But every medical expert is of the view it is not related to HPV.

And the potential benefits of taking the vaccine are hugely significant. I am not in a position to argue with any medical expert about anything.

“I am not in a position to demand any review be set up if the people who administer public health in the country are of a particular view.

In a sense, the question was asked blindly as a representation for a family I know well.

Of course he didn't. 14 posts in but has a repertoire of whataboutery posts from other parties two decades ago to avoid discussing SF today.

• Advertisement

micosoft wrote: »
    Of course he didn't. 14 posts in but has a repertoire of whataboutery posts from other parties two decades ago to avoid discussing SF today.

These night-shift bots are of a far lower standard than they daytime crew alright.

What anti vax stuff? Sounds like the usual straw clutching again.:)
    You realize Switzerland has put the breaks on vaccine approval for now? Citing incomplete data from the manufacturers.

"Switzerland’s medical regulator Swissmedic says it lacks the necessary information to sign off on three different coronavirus vaccines ordered by the government."

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/incomplete-data-stalls-swiss-authorisation-of-covid-19-vaccines/46196598

You mean brakes? The Swiss Medical regulator is saying they need more data on these specific vaccinations? I don't see how there is any parallel to anti-vaccination points of view.

Matt Carthy on CB Live tonight was priceless. When asked about anti vax and fluoride, immediately brought up student nurses not being paid and in a later breath accused Kate O'Connell/FG of deflection :rolleyes:

Good to see they have members who can read and implement the playbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Matt Carthy on CB Live tonight was priceless. When asked about anti vax and fluoride, immediately brought up student nurses not being paid and in a later breath accused Kate O'Connell/FG of deflection :rolleyes:

Carthy is an intellectual heavyweight in the movement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭PearseCork92

I love the way you highlight him backpeddling after being raked over the coals as if he wasn't casting doubt on the vaccine in the first instance.

Another FG genius Mary Mitchell O'Connor said that she received a text from a GP saying that she wouldn't allow her daughter take the same vaccine. You can find it on record if you care to look.

If being a vaccine skeptic and anti-water fluoridation maketh a party of numpties, the boys and girls in blue need not look too far outside their own party.

And if pointing out this amusing reality makes me a shinnerbot in your eyes, then a shinnerbot I be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I love the way you highlight him backpeddling after being raked over the coals as if he wasn't casting doubt on the vaccine in the first instance.

Another FG genius Mary Mitchell O'Connor said that she received a text from a GP saying that she wouldn't allow her daughter take the same vaccine. You can find it on record if you care to look.

If being a vaccine skeptic and anti-water fluoridation maketh a party of numpties, the boys and girls in blue need not look too far outside their own party.

And if pointing out this amusing reality makes me a shinnerbot in your eyes, then a shinnerbot I be.

Not much doubt about that in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

astrofool wrote: »
    But you know they will likely approve them once they get that data, right? Are you implying that Switzerland is anti vax?

Of course not. But neither is Mary Lou. It's just the usual nonsense mud slinging from nonsense straw clutching posts again I was highlighting. I see that the usual nighthawks were busy bumping the thread late at all hours. Have to keep it in the top three it seems. Alot of anger indeed! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Is that a reliable poll?

Why are a large portion of SF supporters anti vaxxers?

Assuming it's an educational issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I thought the FG person was very weak, and not really up to going toe to toe with the Shinner fella, who was very very confident & well able to talk. Several issues discussed, but Claire never pressed Carthy for clear answers!

Carthy got his 'Nurses pay' message out though, crystal clear :cool:

6 wrote: »
    Is that a reliable poll?

Why are a large portion of SF supporters anti vaxxers?

Assuming it's an educational issue?

As one poster said of Switzerland they will likely approve once they get the data :)

As one poster said of Switzerland they will likely approve once they get the data :)

No party wants to be labeled anti vaxxers. That would be disastrous.

6 wrote: »
    No party wants to be labeled anti vaxxers. That would be disastrous.

But they're not. That's on other people labelling them that.

Sinn Fein have the largest anti vaxxers % according to that poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

If they are not antivax you need to have a chat with Mary Lou and update her. No sign of Violet Anne been allowed in public to give her views?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I don't think SF have an anti vax policy.
    What your voters get up to is their business really.
    SF voters being the largest group in the country at the last GE is worrying as an indicator of numbers that might not take it but I certainly don't think that's a, party message.
    I know loads of people in my circle who are at least wary of the jab because it is so new and most wouldn't taking that message from any politics at all. Just stuff they read for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

They're an anti vaccine party as long as you ignore all of the pro vaccine stuff.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Kate O'Connell on Primetime...is that the best FG have? Disastrous performance.

Reduced to muttering 'anti science...anti science at the end'.

Carthy was good and on message...what is currently important, not some old ****e about flouride.

Most anti vaxxers are young and SF have the young vote seems to me be why they are higher than FG and FF.
    Mary Lou was spot on saying that they need to work at informing and convinced those with concerns...not pillory people and demean, like some do.

But Kate O'Connell! Senior camogie folks senior camogie, don't be sending them out there without a hurley!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Carthy was good and on message...what is currently important, not some old ****e about flouride. !

Agreed, the Fine Gael lady was totally outgunned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Carthy was good and on message...what is currently important, not some old ****e about flouride.

Most anti vaxxers are young and SF have the young vote seems to me be why they are higher than FG and FF.
    Mary Lou was spot on saying that they need to work at informing and convinced those with concerns...not pillory people and demean, like some do.

But Kate O'Connell! Senior camogie folks senior camogie, don't be sending them out there without a hurley!

Not just demographics. More anti-vaxxer are SF voters because SF have targeted that cohort in the past. They seen the popularity of the like of "The Girl Against Fluoride" and Gemma O'D and wanted a piece of the action (Both are anti-vax too).

• Registered Users Posts: 55,756 ✭✭✭✭walshb

But she was spot on as regards SF espousing and appealing to anti this, that and everything....spot on about them simple being populist..and the most ridiculous one is their anti establishment, whatever that actually is.....anti people, I suppose...

Claire was spot on about them going whatever way the wind blows...

SF need to try shake this nonsense....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I thought Kate O'Connell lost her seat in the last election, why are FG choosing to send out someone who was clearly rejected by the electorate to go toe to toe with Carthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Sorry, but Mary-Lou clearly adopted the anti-vaxxer line when on Claire Byrne yesterday morning.

Tactically hiding behind needing further information is the opening gambit of the anti-vaxxers and Mary-Lou had fully bought into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Baseball bat I understand is the implement of choice.

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    I thought Kate O'Connell lost her seat in the last election, why are FG choosing to send out someone who was clearly rejected by the electorate to go toe to toe with Carthy?

Because she's a pharmacist by training and has a long track record of speaking out against anti-vaxxers, pseudoscientists and other quackery?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement