Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

His policies and the way he acted over the last few years is nothing short of disgraceful

- Nonsense about 18 other covids.
    - Threatening Nurses on strike that they will be fined.
    - Hospital trolley crises that he looked over and let get worse
    - Near on one million people on waiting lists to see consultants
    - Cervical smear scandals
    - Children's Hospital overspend
    - One nurse to 11 patients is not good enough or safe.

Theres loads more.

Thats better
    Maithú :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nobotty wrote: »
    Yeah I'd agree with that
    Quite a lot of I'll wait and see how it goes
    Me,I'll take it at the first available opportunity
    The needle does look a little longer than usual though :eek:

Same here, but even in my own family circle I know of a few who are hesitant and they'd have been the first in the queue for all the other established vaccines for my nieces and nephews. Certainly not anti-vaxx.

Language needs to be tempered by some here.

*How big a needle? Gulp :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Longer than the flu one anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I'm going to wait and see what the EU says. I think the Brits rushed it, but it's likely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Never knew it had a name, but it is going to be talked about on the radio shortly It's not all about 'anti-vaxx' but 'vaccine Hesitancy' and how to overcome it. Loads of political parties, celebs etc lined up to tackle it.

So I would imagine quite a few of those in the poll are in the 'vaccine hesitency' bracket rather than being overtly anti-vaxx.

The pile-on to demean, demonise and deride these people is coming from the 'we are chosen people' complex in FG mainly and to a lesser degree other parties.

Leadership is about leading.

And why is there more 'vaccine hesitency' among SF supporters??

• Advertisement

6 wrote: »

Is there? Personally I'll await the trial results to be signed off on by the EU health experts.

Saw that a while ago. Isn't that just some rando twitter account? Is there a link to the Mail? Sample of 1044.
    You'd have to ask them. Don't see any SF policy on it.

Well, why is there vaccine hesitancy in the first place?

The suggestion has been made that because the young vote is with SF at the moment that that may be the reason.

We'd need a lot more data to find out. Don't you think that SF's leader has the right attitude though...don't preach or demean, educate and convince and address concerns?

As I said, language is important and nobody should be trying to score political points here. There are worrying percentages for all parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Bowie wrote: »
    Saw that a while ago. Isn't that just some rando twitter account? Is there a link to the Mail? Sample of 1044.

Knock yourself out, there's a download link to the survey as published in the Mail, p17 is the relevent one: https://www.irelandthinks.ie/single-post/10-things-to-know-about-covid-from-our-november-poll

• Advertisement

Well, why is there vaccine hesitancy in the first place?

The suggestion has been made that because the young vote is with SF at the moment that that may be the reason.

We'd need a lot more data to find out. Don't you think that SF's leader has the right attitude though...don't preach or demean, educate and convince and address concerns?

As I said, language is important and nobody should be trying to score political points here. There are worrying percentages for all parties.

No idea why there is vaccine hesitancy tbh among SF primarily. Protest vote? No idea.

Mary Lou has said she will take the vaccine btw.
    “I will have the vaccine as soon as I am eligible for it... Vaccines save lives.”

Knock yourself out, there's a download link to the survey as published in the Mail, p17 is the relevent one: https://www.irelandthinks.ie/single-post/10-things-to-know-about-covid-from-our-november-poll

Thanks. I'll take it with a pinch of salt. I don't believe vaccine hesitancy is a prerequisite of voting SF. I'd be hesitant of anything Boris' mob rushed ahead of the EU seal of approval.

No idea why there is vaccine hesitancy tbh among SF primarily. Protest vote? No idea.

Mary Lou has said she will take the vaccine btw.

Yes, and on Claire Bynre yesterday said she understood concerns and that they needed to be addressed and people would need to be convinced.

There was an immediate rush to the keyboards with some to label that as underlying anti-vaxxer signs.

Yes, and on Claire Bynre yesterday said she understood concerns and that they needed to be addressed and people would need to be convinced.

There was an immediate rush to the keyboards with some to label that as underlying anti-vaxxer signs.

Convinced about what though? What's to convince?

Using language like she did doesn't help. Reinforces my belief that she's a poor leader. I say that as someone who has voted SF a lot in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Might not of been her intention but it is a common trope. Typically anti-vaxxers say that they are only asking questions. Thing is no amount of evidence ever satisfies them.

Convinced about what though? What's to convince?

Using language like she did doesn't help. Reinforces my belief that she's a poor leader. I say that as someone who has voted SF a lot in the past.

So you think entrenching people who are hesitant by insulting them is a good idea?

okie doke.

So you think entrenching people who are hesitant by insulting them is a good idea?

okie doke.

insulting? :confused:

okie doke.

The softly softly approach hasn't worked in the past and it seems a better option is not to give them a platform in the first place. There will always be a few who will never be convinced but SF have allowed them to spread doubt in the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Seems to me there is some hesitancy in the EU.
    One can only wonder why the vaccines aren't cleared yet.
    They're being rolled out in the US an UK, but here we wait till its cleared, there has to be reasoning behind that and our govt seem to be toeing that line, hardly a stick to beat the opposition with when the govt is following the let's wait and see policy themselves.

jh79 wrote: »
    The softly softly approach hasn't worked in the past and it seems a better option is not to give them a platform in the first place. There will always be a few who will never be convinced but SF have allowed them to spread doubt in the rest.

How do you mean the softly softly approach hasn't worked?

The uptake in the HPV vaccine went from 50 to 70% in 2 years because the HSE invested in a campaign of info and convincing using people like Laura Brennan and her family etc.

Invest in education seems to be at least a part of the answer and a big part.

*Are you talking about using the law to fight this? Arrest people etc? :eek:

• Advertisement

Seems to me there is some hesitancy in the EU.
    One can only wonder why the vaccines aren't cleared yet.
    They're being rolled out in the US an UK, but here we wait till its cleared, there has to be reasoning behind that and our govt seem to be toeing that line, hardly a stick to beat the opposition with when the govt is following the let's wait and see policy themselves.

You are just guessing, and formulating your own theory.

There is a reason. The EMA are meeting end of December and the vaccine will be authorised once approved by them.

Britain had the option of processing it through emergency authorisation pending safety checks, as was their right. Hamcock even tried to claim a Brexit victory :rolleyes: Debunked of course.

So, no conspiracy. It's moving the way it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

There is a reason. The EMA are meeting end of December and the vaccine will be authorised once approved by them.

Britain had the option of processing it through emergency authorisation pending safety checks, as was their right. Hamcock even tried to claim a Brexit victory :rolleyes: Debunked of course.

Who said there was a conspiracy.
    If it's safe we are going to be a month behind the UK and Northern Ireland, on the hind tit so to speak.
    One can only wonder why that is.

Can you get the vaccine in Dublin now? If not, why not? Not approved yet. So being hesitant to take it until then seems logical.
    Trying to make it a stick to beat shinners with is a stretch.

Can you get the vaccine in Dublin now? If not, why not? Not approved yet. So being hesitant to take it until then seems logical.
    Trying to make it a stick to beat shinners with is a stretch.

Didn't they do that themselves with the Ireland Thinks poll?

Who said there was a conspiracy.
    If it's safe we are going to be a month behind the UK and Northern Ireland, on the hind tit so to speak.
    One can only wonder why that is.

There's no wondering. I literally told you above. It's not a top secret :)

SF did it?

So FG FF are responsible for the opinions of all the people that say they will vote for them? Wow...interesting theory.

How do you mean the softly softly approach hasn't worked?

The uptake in the HPV vaccine went from 50 to 70% in 2 years because the HSE invested in a campaign of info and convincing using people like Laura Brennan and her family etc.

Invest in education seems to be at least a part of the answer and a big part.

*Are you talking about using the law to fight this? Arrest people etc? :eek:

No not laws by just ignoring them especially in the media. Unfortunately they found a platform on social media and SF helped get them noticed and gave them validation by retweets and the like.

No. If you can point to any policy...
    I think flogging this dead Shergar is a bit tired.

Edit:

Just saw it's a deal on the FG website. Ironically citing "Facebook and other social media platforms are a breeding ground for false information."
    Poor form using covid once again to get a political dig in.

MLMD has had Covid and is going to take the vaccine. Desperate spin by FG. I hope they get a student nurse.

No. If you can point to any policy...
    I think flogging this dead Shergar is a bit tired.

Edit:

Just saw it's a deal on the FG website. Ironically citing "Facebook and other social media platforms are a breeding ground for false information."
    Poor form using covid once again to get a political dig in.

MLMD has had Covid and is going to take the vaccine. Desperate spin by FG. I hope they get a student nurse.

So why did they cast doubts about previous vaccines given they had a lot more evidence for their safety?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭PearseCork92

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Like Fine Gael voters really give a phuck about either.

I suggest you start getting a grip and find something topical to talk about.

If we can stomach a leader who leaks government files and has more faces than a sphere ( get your head around that one ) I reckon we can stomach a bit of fluoride in the water. We have been scrubbing our teeth with it for years, I reckon we should be fine.

Don't panic, I would expect a loyalist politician to say something outrageous this afternoon, you can start screeching blue murder about that for a few hours, should keep you going for a day or so.

Despite what you might think I have no strong opinions on what Loyalist politicians might say or not say.

I'm just having a bit of craic with people calling me a shinnerbot when I helpfully point out Fine Gael carved out a general election position on anti-fluoridation at a general election and even took it to the European parliament.

Can we get any Fine Gael cheerleader here to put their hand up and admit that they were the monster raving looney anti-fluoride party not so long ago? Anyone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement