Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

blanch152 wrote: »
    As I said, that is old news. Since then, a number of Sinn Fein TDs have admitted to calling round intimidating politely requesting members to take down social media posts.

Its hard to know what the right thing to do is in these circumstances. Personally, I think it is better to actually talk to the person face-to-face rather than hide behind a text message. That maybe more an old fashioned way of doing things.
    What I do find really weird is how strange it to Irish culture that seemingly now you have to make an appointment before you can call to someone's house nowadays (maybe only in urban areas). That really doesn't happen down the country yet. People still drop into people unannounced.

As for Christine - still living at home with her parents at age 22, she doesn't have any privacy. Leo & Co. shoulder the blame for that issue that she has to live at home still.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

jm08 wrote: »
    Its hard to know what the right thing to do is in these circumstances. Personally, I think it is better to actually talk to the person face-to-face rather than hide behind a text message. That maybe more an old fashioned way of doing things.
    What I do find really weird is how strange it to Irish culture that seemingly now you have to make an appointment before you can call to someone's house nowadays (maybe only in urban areas). That really doesn't happen down the country yet. People still drop into people unannounced.

As for Christine - still living at home with her parents at age 22, she doesn't have any privacy. Leo & Co. shoulder the blame for that issue that she has to live at home still.

You can't drop into anyone unannounced, since last March.

Oh, silly me, Covid-19 rules don't apply to Sinn Fein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

As I said, that is old news. Since then, a number of Sinn Fein TDs have admitted to calling round intimidating politely requesting members to take down social media posts.

They didn't call around to intimidate that woman as you and FG claimed.
    Calling to people you are in a party with is common practice. The FG spin here is baloney.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Well, I and my neighbours have been knocking at each other's doors unannounced all year (wearing a mask and social distancing) and whatever about my neighbours, I'm not a member of Sinn Fein. It was a neighbour who called to Christine's home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Untrue on several fronts.

Yes you could drop in to other homes at various times "since March", though in various limited circumstances as long as you followed certain protocols, and there was nothing stopping next door neighbours from knocking on another's door and talking to them from a socially distanced space. Even during the strictest lockdown measures.

All of the above is separate to the fact Ireland eased it's lockdown on The 1st of December anyway blanch. If you didn't know this - you really have no right posting about it tbh, if you did know about it, and purposely ran with that misinformation, Goebells himself would be proud.

Either way, not a good look.

You'll go to any lengths rather than admit that FG tried to paint this as something it wasn't - won't you blanch?

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »
    Well, I and my neighbours have been knocking at each other's doors unannounced all year (wearing a mask and social distancing) and whatever about my neighbours, I'm not a member of Sinn Fein. It was a neighbour who called to Christine's home.

I'm reminded of Eoghan Murphy using pensioners as a publicity stunt, calling in during covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

McMurphy wrote: »
    Not trying to take credit for it, so quoted it in full.

Sums it up here, 110% proof the divisive nature of Leo Varadkar, and the utter poison he's trying to wedge into Irish politics.

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1336610925692874753?s=19

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1293663127809204233?s=19

The Woke nonsense is in all parties now but it is especially toxic in the modern left, including Sinn Féin.

Leo takes advantage when he can, he hasn't any real beliefs politically. He often has fun with things though.

He sees this as a chance to rub it in a bit to modern SF who have an awful lot of holier than thou judgemental types in the party.

Leo has his sound bite, had some fun.

It's a pity that such a decent man as Stanley has to be the centre of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Danzy wrote: »

FFS.

Lets keep the cringing to an acceptable level, I know its' Christmas but please give everyone a phucking break?

Decent people do not celebrate human attrocities or victimise homosexuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Danzy wrote: »
    The Woke nonsense is in all parties now but it is especially toxic in the modern left, including Sinn Féin.

Leo takes advantage when he can, he hasn't any real beliefs politically. He often has fun with things though.

He sees this as a chance to rub it in a bit to modern SF who have an awful lot of holier than thou judgemental types in the party.

Leo has his sound bite, had some fun.

One would have guessed that far from being a “decent man” Stanley was author of his own downfall.

Saying one thing, thinking another.

PAC members should grow a set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

• Advertisement

Nobotty wrote: »

I think many a politician is trawling their twitter history.
    This is Trump/GOP level politics trying to get dirt rather than discuss or defend policy. It's poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Wrong again after one sentence of your post...RTE DID NOT quote him, RTE did exactly what you did, 'inferred something' from what he actually said. What he ACTUALLY said in his explanation to PAC (which was nothing about a 'gay Taoiseach) is in the sound file I posted and in the artiles that correctly use quote tags.
    Stanley is referring to Varadkar's 'Ireland without prejudice' speech.

It'll be interesting to see next week who has put more effort into defending Brian Stanley's tweets when he returns to the Dail...Brian Stanley or Francie Brady?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

aido79 wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see next week has put more effort into defending Brian Stanley's tweets when he returns to the Dail...Brian Stanley or Francie Brady?

I enjoy exposing bull**** and lies. My wee vocation.

P.S. I haven't defended them by the way, for the record. I have said tweet 1. was insensitive and tweet 2 was vulgar and badly written. Neither should have appeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

aido79 wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see next week has put more effort into defending Brian Stanley's tweets when he returns to the Dail...Brian Stanley or Francie Brady?

My wedge is on the Francie lad.......

My wedge is on the Francie lad.......

:D:D

Any more rumours imminent Brendi? :D:D

Bowie wrote: »
    This is Trump/GOP level politics trying to get dirt rather than discuss or defend policy. It's poor.

Would agree tbh, its all gone a bit silly season the past few days and doesnt do the country a bit of good

Plenty of actual issues to be sorted

Would agree tbh, its all gone a bit silly season the past few days and doesnt do the country a bit of good

Plenty of actual issues to be sorted

Retweets now being outed...crazy stuff. I think that 'Nazi building' one appeared on boards here in the 'funny pictures thread'.

The Brid Smith alleged full time FG twitter trawler is earning the bucks. :)

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It’s all a load of ****e.

Seriously, all this time-wasting bollocks started with that motion of no-confidence in Varadkar which was never going to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Looks like we are back to civil war politics with SF replacing FF in the game.
    Same ****e we've been listening to for the last hundred years.
    New politics :D:D:D.

Varadkar has drawn a whole new level of comment in on his SM posts on this stuff. But it is still the backfire that happened on FG's negative posting during the election. He could be turning off a whole new demographic and end up worse off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Embarrassing stuff from FFG and SF. Don't expect much better from the former two. What has happened to SF. :( Terrible leadership that is.

It's desperate. All that matters is policy and the intent to carry out those policies.
    This new batch is just a load a bollo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

So in the past few weeks alone we've had

1) SF voting to privatise public housing in the North.
    2) Raising rents on social housing during a pandemic.
    3)Calling round to young girls home asking them to delete social media posts.
    4). The whole Brian Stanley story.
    5) Marylou saying that anti vaxxers have genuine concerns
    6) Now some other Shinner saying 9/11 was a hoax. ..

Not to forget they are also anti EU.

Now all we need is a SF TD to go on a mad rant about foreigners and we have the full set

Apart from their been two Sinn Feins. Sinn Fein Ireland and Sinn Fein UK. I'm glad to see that they are finally saying the things in public their supporters have been saying for years.

Although I doubt the right wing branch in America will like the 911 stuff

piplip87 wrote: »

Now all we need is a SF TD to go on a mad rant about foreigners and we have the full set

Apart from their been two Sinn Feins. Sinn Fein Ireland and Sinn Fein UK. I'm glad to see that they are finally saying the things in public their supporters have been saying for years.

I really love the thinking that one TD's or councillor's actions or even two or three means the whole party are like that.

In my county alone that kind of thinking means FG are sterling loving corrupt representatives, and violent glass wielding thugs if you criticise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Friends of SF in America are furious with the 9/11 stuff.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friends_of_Sinn_F%C3%A9in

Bowie wrote: »
    Retweets now being outed...crazy stuff. I think that 'Nazi building' one appeared on boards here in the 'funny pictures thread'.

The Brid Smith alleged full time FG twitter trawler is earning the bucks. :)

I would suggest that any posters in the habit of analysing the thanks that other posters leave on posts might pause a little for reflection before commenting on this.

And I thought Violet-Anne was the landline waiting to explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Left wing they ain't.

I would suggest that any posters in the habit of analysing the thanks that other posters leave on posts might pause a little for reflection before commenting on this.

When you're honest about your opinion you don't need to play strategic Blanch.
    I stand by the idea that this is simply more bollo to distract and we've more important issues to attend to than a SF politician retweeting 9/11 conspiracy etc. etc. It's mundane.

Like this kind of jaded quip:
    And I thought Violet-Anne was the landline waiting to explode.

FG do plenty of damage and have lowered the bar of political discourse but the damage to society and the cronyism is more important isn't it?

• Advertisement

Varadkar has drawn a whole new level of comment in on his SM posts on this stuff. But it is still the backfire that happened on FG's negative posting during the election. He could be turning off a whole new demographic and end up worse off.

Yes, I am sure he can expect more of the dog-whistle homophobia and racism that is often directed at him, including from these boards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement