Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Bowie wrote: »
    You've yet to comment on it bar using their deaths in playing the fool trying to be clever. Disrespectful.

The IRA killed soldiers. Regretful but such is war. If you don't want to be shot at, or blown up, don't join an army during a conflict.

Are you comparing one teenager buying chips and another calling home to say he'd be late on par with armed soldiers?
    #notanormalparty

Or go fishing with your grandad. Or your pal's grandad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

The real disgrace is the political capital FG were allowed make of it. The sooner we move on from the bitter snide trump era of Varadkar and his YFG minions the better off both ourselves and FG will be IMO.

I think there's going to be more of it to be honest

No it's not. They only tried to link it to garner outrage.
    Would you have liked him to 'celebrate' the death of the boys? He was right not to IMO.

Well, seeing as he was drawing attention to the IRA's activities on that particular day, he could have condemned the killing of the boys as a stain on the honourable history of the republican moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Nobotty wrote: »
    I'm only joshing you!
    He apologised for being insensitive expressing his opinion like he did in a public tweet
    He did not apologise for his opinion AT ALL,nor did he need to and nor should he or anyone have to
    We are all entitled to our opinion
    Its important to remember that
    I thought he explained his gay tweet well

He was forced to grovel by the leadership.

They are pathetic. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Hmmm, let's compare their margin of victory in the 'Will We Won't We' referendum to Will We WOn't We referenda held by other insurgents/revolutionaries/freedom fighters around the world...oh look, none of them ever sought a mandate to try to achieve equality and freedom from oppression.

A very good point you raise, but one that has been addressed many many times.

The Sinn Fein of 1919 had a clear mandate from the people. That ended with the Treaty being democratically accepted.

The Sinn Fein (a very different Sinn Fein) of 1969 did not.

Why? Because the culture of the country had changed. The tolerance and acceptance of violence was reduced down to the sociopathic and criminal elements of society.

That is not to condone the events of 1919 to 1921, however, it does explain why they are different to the events of 1969 onwards.

• Advertisement

rdwight wrote: »

Or meet a girl in a bar in Belfast to be lured to your death.

Or go drinking in Birmingham with your mates to be blown to bits.

Or to be an innocent 18-year old looking for a bit of adventure and end up a year later vapourised by the IRA.

Catherine Murphy's stance on this is interesting:

https://www.thejournal.ie/brian-stanley-dail-5300439-Dec2020/

"Murphy said that the issue is “at the end of the day it is a disciplinary matter for Sinn Féin and the standards they have set for themselves.”

The SocDem co-leader said the PAC can’t have a situation where the launch of an important report last week is “overshadowed” by questions from reporters on the conduct of the chair.

“We can’t have a repeat of that,” she said, adding that, “At the end of the day, it is down to Sinn Féin about where they set the bar,” she said."

Well done to her for calling out the low standards in Sinn Fein. I expect that the SD supporters around here agree with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

blanch152 wrote: »

Or to be an innocent 18-year old looking for a bit of adventure and end up a year later vapourised by the IRA.

Or go on civil rights march in derry and get murdered by British paratroopers... Do u want me to go on we can all throw events out there and as somebody who grew up during the troubles as a Catholic, I would have a few more first hand experiences of the reasons alot of people decided their only option was to try and fight back by joining the IRA /Inla.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Terrorist sympathiser.

And who gave the Provos the right to plant bombs and take human life? Where did their mandate come from? Answer, neanderthal rednecks.

Did Stanley survive today?

I did more than sympathize.

There is always a reaction to brutal occupation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

It wasn't the first attempt on Mountbatten, either he knew the risk and ignored it or MI5 decided allowing it to happen could be of more use,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ooooh .....lot of anger... and this guy is still chair of the PAC.

Not good, I say, not good for our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Leo ask for his P45 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I don't think being an armed soldier is the same thing. It's not like the two teens blown up by the UDA/BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A very good point you raise, but one that has been addressed many many times.

The Sinn Fein of 1919 had a clear mandate from the people. That ended with the Treaty being democratically accepted.

The Sinn Fein (a very different Sinn Fein) of 1969 did not.

Why? Because the culture of the country had changed. The tolerance and acceptance of violence was reduced down to the sociopathic and criminal elements of society.

That is not to condone the events of 1919 to 1921, however, it does explain why they are different to the events of 1969 onwards.

The 'tolerance of violence' was reduced...did to tell that to the people being beaten off the streets while everyone with responsibility looked on?

What a pile of patronising, lie down and wait until democracy ad human decency occurs to those with the power to change things.

So what if you found it hard to tolerate? The world doesn't revolve around you and your high moral mountain.

Well, seeing as he was drawing attention to the IRA's activities on that particular day, he could have condemned the killing of the boys as a stain on the honourable history of the republican moment.

Nope. He was drawing attention to an incident.

Using murdered people to try score points again. Disrespectful.

You tried to compare armed soldiers to two teens. You've still not addressed it. Seems your 'balanced' perspective doesn't recognise the UDA/BA murders.

Don't be angry Brendi, I thought youse had your man.
    Youse shouldn't have gone for the glittery trinket of a 'heavy' intimidating a girl. When that got rumbled everyone could see the hand being played and stepped away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It'll be discussed by the 7 of us on this thread for years to come, unknown to the wider world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Danzy wrote: »
    It'll be discussed by the 7 of us on this thread for years to come, unknown to the wider world.

It's not like he gave confidential information to his mate or sorted out a former party member with a supreme Court job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how is it the manage to have SF and DUP chairs of committees up the north?

afro man wrote: »
    Or go on civil rights march in derry and get murdered by British paratroopers... Do u want me to go on we can all throw events out there and as somebody who grew up during the troubles as a Catholic, I would have a few more first hand experiences of the reasons alot of people decided their only option was to try and fight back by joining the IRA /Inla.

You're right afro. We could go through the whole CAIN list. I confined my comment to innocent victims killed by the IRA on the same day as Warrenpoint and unmentioned by Stanley.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    It's not like he gave confidential information to his mate or sorted out a former party member with a supreme Court job.

...or said the civil service was very white, or said SF didn't like white males or quoted 'Mean Girls' for a bet when speaking on Covid to the nation...

It wasn't the first attempt on Mountbatten, either he knew the risk and ignored it or MI5 decided allowing it to happen could be of more use,

I just knew that whoever was to blame for the deaths of the children it wouldn't be the people who planted or detonated the bomb.

(I seem to remember that the bomber(s) had sight of the fishing party when they pressed the button. I may be wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

You're right afro. We could go through the whole CAIN list. I confined my comment to innocent victims killed by the IRA on the same day as Warrenpoint and unmentioned by Stanley.

Unfortunately to many clowns and people living in the past and not thinking before they go on social media..and that applies to all the political parties

The issue you were responding to was another poster trying to equate two teens blown up by the UDA/BA to armed soldiers blown up in a conflict.
    All you did was move the discussion away from the UDA/BA bombing so you could do whatabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I wonder if the SF/IRA fans that post regularly on this thread (the Sinn Fein thread) could go 24 hours without mentioning or alluding to FG. I'm betting they can't.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I wonder if the SF/IRA fans that post regularly on this thread (the Sinn Fein thread) could go 24 hours without mentioning or alluding to FG. I'm betting they can't.

It all stems from Varadkar being a bit of a gilly and himself and FG hiding behind shinners to avoid accountability. FF are likely just filling their pockets in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Bleak healthcare system up north.
    Imagine the furore a lot of you lads would be kicking up if this were here.
    Firstly, no grip of the coronavirus situation politically from either side.
    Begs the question, do the people of either side of the divide pay any attention to their political leaders?
    Health care in car parks and then give out about ministers and the system here!
    This has to be the biggest political health disaster in Europe and SF never stfu about our problems down here.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2020/1215/1184594-coronavirus-ni/

And the lad above talking about Varadkar being a gilly, sad what passes for political competence elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Begs the question, do the people of either side of the divide pay any attention to their political leaders?
    This has to be the biggest political health disaster in Europe and SF never stfu about our problems down here.

And the lad above talking about Varadkar being a gilly, sad what passes for political competence elsewhere

SF have appealed non stop. Westminster won't listen it seems. A rogue government there. Surprised this hasn't come to your attention as the Brexit deadlines passed again. Or was that Sinn Fein too?

What's Michelle O'Neil been saying about Covid down here?

See what I mean? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The system has failed and the statelet has failed. These things can falter along until there is a crisis and then those who chose to ignore the failure suddenly appear to point fingers. Nobody can rise above the issues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement