Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Some of the stuff being posted in that group is appalling. The death threats in particular should be investigated.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/secret-facebook-group-reveals-bitter-tirades-and-abuse-of-sinn-f%C3%A9in-s-opponents-1.4440745

• Registered Users Posts: 68,958 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Why are Sinn Fein taking this action if this is just the workings of some " FG dirt trawler"?

Ask SF. Group has been there for a while and somebody in the media has decided to try and make a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

McMurphy wrote: »
    If a shinner TD is a member of a local tennis club, do Sinn Fein then have "an unofficial tennis club"?

From reading your own link, the Shinners have requested social media platforms to remove any pages or groups using their name.

Quick question bish, if I set up a group called "FG supporters group" on Facebook this morning, and stuff it full of anti SF/FF comments from troll accounts, are FG responsible for that too?

No Mc, but if FG TD's or members, are in the group and stay there then they are implicated in the group surely, as in this case with the individual TD's involved.
    I'm not blaming SF for the group at all, but I'm wondering about the TD's in it is all.

Ask SF. Group has been there for a while and somebody in the media has decided to try and make a link.

Kenny and Wynne are the link.
    They suddenly left when SF was contacted.
    Two more TD's from SF advised on their social media by hq.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,958 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No Mc, but if FG TD's or members, are in the group and stay there then they are implicated in the group surely, as in this case with the individual TD's involved.
    I'm not blaming SF for the group at all, but I'm wondering about the TD's in it is all.

Were they active in the group is the question. I'm in groups as I say that don't even appear on my timeline anymore because I don't interact...still a member though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

In it?

Honestly no idea what the group is, but could it be some joined the group as it was using the name Sinn Fein, and left it at that?

Must take a quick look at what groups I'm a member of in Facebook, a platform I rarely have used In a few years tbh, but won't have left groups.

Very careless lads, check your social media contacts is my advice, who knows what you're liking unknown to yourselves;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I think this might be a ploy to increase SF support and strengthen existing support. Many out there probably agree with the contents of this group and SF would tend to attract some fairly fringe people anyway.

Bertie Ahern was the teflon Taoiseach, SF are the teflon party, they can do no wrong in some people's eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Very careless lads, check your social media contacts is my advice, who knows what you're liking unknown to yourselves;)

Another non story,scraping the barrel.... clutching at straws....zzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

smurgen wrote: »
    Another non story,scraping the barrel.... clutching at straws....zzzz

Seeing as Varadkars friend non friend seemed to have questionable views on refugees I think this can of worms may bring up unpleasant connections for all parties,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

Kenny and Wynne are the link.
    They suddenly left when SF was contacted.
    Two more TD's from SF advised on their social media by hq.

Katie Hannon believes it's woth a slot. Should be good listening to the non story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why didn't the Irish Times name the administrator(s) of the group?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

SF TDs would want to learn how to 'engage the brain before opening their mouths' when it comes to social media interaction. Far too many idiotic posts/tweets etc especially on most recent occasions when they've had FFG on the rack.

If there is any positives at all to be taken from any of these skirmishes between FG and SF however it is the fact that FF are being left behind the main two protagonists.
    The next election will be a FG SF battle.

This isnt a SF official group

Oh and Gerry Adams was never in the IRA neither

Normal party.

Normal party.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

O’Broin, trying to dominate the Saturday programme.

Getting a new one torn out for him.

I'm in about 10 - 15 groups on Facebook...am I responsible for the content? No:) Do I even read everything posted to them? No.

The Phantom FG Dirt Trawler earned another weeks wages I see. :)

:eek:

Jaysus........

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I can 100% guarantee that those who have flocked to SF due to the ongoing cost of living issue won't give two sh!tes about these stories - and that the relentless focus on this type of crap by the media is fuelling a very real sentiment that there's a concerted effort to delegitimise SF by "official Ireland".

I don't know how many times this is going to have to be repeated, but the cost of living situation for young people is so unbelievably dire that literally no amount of deflection whatsoever is going to make the slightest bit of difference. The only thing that can stem the flow of young voters to SF is the emergence of another viable leftist party. Nothing else is going to work. I don't even think a change in policy or ideology by FF or FG would work at this stage, there's too much bad blood by now and nobody would believe such a policy or ideological change was sincere.

People who are paying upwards of €2,000 for a one bedroom flat couldn't give two sh!tes about who said what on Facebook or Twitter. It's absolutely ridiculous that so many people simply don't seem to understand this. If that's the reality of your living situation, that putting a roof over your head is costing you €24,000 a year, it's absolutely ludicrous to suggest that some nasty comments about those directly responsible for putting you in that situation to begin with is going to endear you to them or cause you to forgive them. The entire debate is idiotic.

Nobody voting for SF isn't already alienated and disenfranchised by FFG's celebration of the soaring cost of living as some kind of macroeconomic success. To those voters who could find their lives going backwards at a moment's notice - or who already have been experiencing that - SF is something of a last stand. It's worth trying because everything else has failed.

I've said this many times over the years, but if a credible leftist party without SF's baggage were to emerge, many young people would abandon SF. It's not about party, it's about ideology. And no amount of personal crap can change the fact that neoliberalism as an ideology is actively destroying young peoples' lives, ergo regardless of how low SF or its online supporters stoop, they are still seen as a better option than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I can 100% guarantee that those who have flocked to SF due to the ongoing cost of living issue won't give two sh!tes about these stories - and that the relentless focus on this type of crap by the media is fuelling a very real sentiment that there's a concerted effort to delegitimise SF by "official Ireland".

I don't know how many times this is going to have to be repeated, but the cost of living situation for young people is so unbelievably dire that literally no amount of deflection whatsoever is going to make the slightest bit of difference. The only thing that can stem the flow of young voters to SF is the emergence of another viable leftist party. Nothing else is going to work. I don't even think a change in policy or ideology by FF or FG would work at this stage, there's too much bad blood by now and nobody would believe such a policy or ideological change was sincere.

People who are paying upwards of €2,000 for a one bedroom flat couldn't give two sh!tes about who said what on Facebook or Twitter. It's absolutely ridiculous that so many people simply don't seem to understand this. If that's the reality of your living situation, that putting a roof over your head is costing you €24,000 a year, it's absolutely ludicrous to suggest that some nasty comments about those directly responsible for putting you in that situation to begin with is going to endear you to them or cause you to forgive them. The entire debate is idiotic.

Nobody voting for SF isn't already alienated and disenfranchised by FFG's celebration of the soaring cost of living as some kind of macroeconomic success. To those voters who could find their lives going backwards at a moment's notice - or who already have been experiencing that - SF is something of a last stand. It's worth trying because everything else has failed.

I've said this many times over the years, but if a credible leftist party without SF's baggage were to emerge, many young people would abandon SF. It's not about party, it's about ideology. And no amount of personal crap can change the fact that neoliberalism as an ideology is actively destroying young peoples' lives, ergo regardless of how low SF or its online supporters stoop, they are still seen as a better option than the others.

Anyone paying over €2,000 a month for a one-bed apartment and complaining about it is a fool easily parted from his money.

Only high-quality, high-luxury one-beds fall into that category.

The anti-government hyperbole reaches a new hysterical high.

McMurphy wrote: »
    If a shinner TD is a member of a local tennis club, do Sinn Fein then have "an unofficial tennis club"?

From reading your own link, the Shinners have requested social media platforms to remove any pages or groups using their name.

Quick question bish, if I set up a group called "FG supporters group" on Facebook this morning, and stuff it full of anti SF/FF comments from troll accounts, are FG responsible for that too?

Don’t but this risible defence.

The group had three SF party members, possible holding official positions, as administrators according to the Irish Times.

It also had senior SF TDs and councillors as members, so noting like your whataboutery example.

#notanormalparty

Sinn Féin is trying to distance itself from some of the terrible social media posts created around it. It is pretty obvious that on social media there is some terrible stuff put up about politicians and a lot of it is hate and near violent encouraging vitriol.
    Some tds and party members are involved in this social media bashing, particularly about FG and its ministers imo.
    Time to clean up the act they reckon. Trying to close down a Facebook secret group.
    There is some fact it seems to the SF linked social media hate campaign.
    Could it be some people on here are involved maybe?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sinn-f%C3%A9in-asked-facebook-to-remove-secret-party-supporter-group-1.4440850?mode=amp

I would not be surprised if some of those on here were members of that group.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Once again the Irish Times disgraces itself spinning for FG. The backlash over FG's online bile called for a solid off the Irish Times.
    Desperate. As annoying and childish as this all is FG are now known as the bratty online troll party that won't pay student nurses and hands out crony favours.
    As long as parties tackle social issues adults actually care about, leave Leo and YFG to lower the bar.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I would not be surprised if some of those on here were members of that group.

Lot of anger breaking out it would appear.

The slate over the sordid underbelly of SF social media activity is being disturbed and the maggots are scurrying for cover.

Not nice persons.

Anyone paying over €2,000 a month for a one-bed apartment and complaining about it is a fool easily parted from his money.

Only high-quality, high-luxury one-beds fall into that category.

The anti-government hyperbole reaches a new hysterical high.

You're right. FF/FG hand them out to people with no income. Tax payer covers it.

Bowie wrote: »
    Once again the Irish Times disgraces itself spinning for FG. The backlash over FG's online bile called for a solid off the Irish Times.
    Desperate. As annoying and childish as this all is FG are now known as the bratty online troll party that won't pay student nurses and hands out crony favours.
    As long as parties tackle social issues adults actually care about, leave Leo and YFG to lower the bar.

As far as I can see, there is not a single untruth in the Irish Times article.

I am fairly sure that as a Social Democrats supporter, you weren’t a member of a Sinn Fein group on Facebook either, so I really don’t understand how you can attack the Irish Times article.

Either you produce evidence that it is untrue, or keep demonstrating a lack of credibility.

As far as I can see, there is not a single untruth in the Irish Times article.

I am fairly sure that as a Social Democrats supporter, you weren’t a member of a Sinn Fein group on Facebook either, so I really don’t understand how you can attack the Irish Times article.

Either you produce evidence that it is untrue, or keep demonstrating a lack of credibility.

The article is a biased hatchet job. It gives the impression only SF people engage in such when IMO FG officially, are worse between Varadkar and YFG and the like.

FYI: I vote based on policy. I'm not tied do or die to any party. I'm part of the majority of the electorate.

What does Leo and YFG have to do with a group of 16,000 Sinn Fein supporters on Facebook?

What does Leo and YFG have to do with a group of 16,000 Sinn Fein supporters on Facebook?

The article ignored them completely thats what. It was one sided and plays to the only FG trick left in their bag, trolling.

The article ignored them completely thats what. It was one sided and plays to the only FG trick left in their bag, trolling.

But of course it ignores them, given it's not about them. It's about a Sinn Fein supporters group of 16,000 on facebook that was seemingly allowing unmoderated abuse and death threats. You could look at any news report ever and go "yeah but what whatabout XYZ".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Just another sf bashing article. I'm a member of many groups like call for a revolution in Ireland, rebel telly,traitor republic etc, and if fg and ff think it's only sf pages that show hatred towards the Gov they are diluded.

• Advertisement

But of course it ignores them, given it's not about them. It's about a Sinn Fein supporters group of 16,000 on facebook that was seemingly allowing unmoderated abuse and death threats. You could look at any news report ever and go "yeah but what whatabout XYZ".

Not defending it. Pointing out the article is a one sided hatchet job. The talk the last while has been FG trolling and using online attacks, so IT does a job on the rivals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement