Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Where have SF promised low taxes,they are promoting a wealth tax,likely to.cost me several grand a year?

SF voted against increasing property tax which effectively gave the rich a massive tax cut while those in small properties only saved the equivalent of a handful of coffees a year. Property tax is a fundamentally left wing ideology and it is needed in order for Sinn Fein to increase spending to the levels they promise. However it wasn't popular so they voted against it. Pure populism while in opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Where have SF promised low taxes,they are promoting a wealth tax,likely to.cost me several grand a year?

Thinly veiled "I have net wealth of 1.2m to my name" post :D

Mate,i paid like 60K in once off taxes last year, (in process of lining up another purchase,but womt be as much)

Fair play, hope to get to that level of wealth myself someday. We will probably have an Artificial Intelligence as our Government by the time I actually get there though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

Might take up this tactic in work , go in do nothing all day shout at everyone else about how much of **** job they are doing . Seems that what makes you popular these days .

Need to make sure there's plenty of gullible morons around to fall for it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,956 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

markodaly wrote: »
    SF have ministers in Stormont, who are the executive, they are in charge.
    You cant dismiss that. It is a fact.

That would be why I didn't dismiss it.
    I did dismiss the idea they were 'in charge'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Might take up this tactic in work , go in do nothing all day shout at everyone else about how much of **** job they are doing . Seems that what makes you popular these days .

You're right.
    MM uses these tactics whenever he's asked a question. 'Yeah, but, look at SF, blah blah blah'.

Good to see him being called out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

markodaly wrote: »
    SF have ministers in Stormont, who are the executive, they are in charge.
    You cant dismiss that. It is a fact.

Nothing happens in Stormont without cross party agreement, SF and the SDLP cant get anything passed without at least one unionist party backing it, would be similar to FG needing PBP to back them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Isn't that what FG has done for the majority of it's life? They're not the only ones tbf. Nice work if you can get it.

It helps when they really are doing a crap job for the most part or even for some of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Suckit wrote: »
    Isn't that what FG has done for the majority of it's life? They're not the only ones tbf. Nice work if you can get it.

It helps when they really are doing a crap job for the most part or even for some of it.
    Not really il judge a party on its merits and what it has done while in power. Im not a fan of FG but i will give them credit for making tough calls and getting this countries economy back up and running .This country is in now flying no matter what SF would have you believe, i also will give them credit for the way they have handled this pandemic .We have some of the best numbers in Europe- now lets Take SF and where they are in power - Covid out of control , some of the worst numbers in Europe in fact - people getting treated in car parks , children having to come south to get vital hospital treatment - homelessness some of the highest numbers in Europe. I think shows what any normal persons concerns would be if they get into power down here. A prosperous country left in ruins by the end of their first term. Housing crisis is bollocks , drive around Dublin houses and apartments being built everywhere then you have SF councilors objecting to developers building houses but quite happy to get into bed with them in the north. I will vote for whatever party is good for me and good for my country and SF certainly are not that party . Load mouth imposters they play up to the populist ****e of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Not really il judge a party on its merits and what it has done while in power. Im not a fan of FG but i will give them credit for making tough calls and getting this countries economy back up and running .This country is in now flying no matter what SF would have you believe, i also will give them credit for the way they have handled this pandemic .We have some of the best numbers in Europe- now lets Take SF and where they are in power - Covid out of control , some of the worst numbers in Europe in fact - people getting treated in car parks , children having to come south to get vital hospital treatment - homelessness some of the highest numbers in Europe. I think shows what any normal persons concerns would be if they get into power down here. A prosperous country left in ruins by the end of their first term. Housing crisis is bollocks , drive around Dublin houses and apartments being built everywhere then you have SF councilors objecting to developers building houses but quite happy to get into bed with them in the north. I will vote for whatever party is good for me and good for my country and SF certainly are not that party . Load mouth imposters they play up to the populist ****e of the day.
    Have you noticed how much we've been borrowing, hundreds of thousands of workers either off work or on short time, none of those apartments are for sale to ordinary workers,singling out SF for objecting is a bit strange, Supervalu object to every Aldi/Lidl/Tesco up and down the country , that's blocking employment but its grand with FFG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Luckily we have fact-checkers doing digging on some of the more fantastical claims about Norn Iron. It's become a bit of a sport south of Newry for political parties to make up guff about conditions in NI in a desperate attempt to throw shade at Sinn Fein.

Among other things, thejournal.ie did a factcheck on homelessness in NI vs the Republic. They rated a similar claim to your own as a big fat FALSE. (From 2016, but you can bet your last farthing it's still true given how the situation has spiraled in our jurisdiction).

"So while we can’t give an entirely accurate number of those in homelessness in Northern Ireland (by our Department of the Environment criterion), we can confidently say it is not four times what it is here, and may well even be lower.

So Minister Kelly’s claim is very likely to be entirely FALSE
    ."

https://www.thejournal.ie/ge16-fact-check-election-2016-ireland-northern-ireland-sinn-fein-homelessness-child-poverty-2610158-Feb2016/

Have you noticed how much we've been borrowing, hundreds of thousands of workers either off work or on short time, none of those apartments are for sale to ordinary workers,singling out SF for objecting is a bit strange, Supervalu object to every Aldi/Lidl/Tesco up and down the country , that's blocking employment but its grand with FFG

In what way are the private firm supervalu not like sinn fein, the party who are engaged in an extremely vociferous campaign on availability of housing?

Anyone?

Anyone at the back?

The false equivalences on this thread get worse and worse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

blanch152 wrote: »
    Conspiracy theory nonsense about schools. The positivity rate in schools is around 2% compared to 10% in the general population.

Anti-vaxxers, 9-11 deniers, racists and homophobes, now Sinn Fein can add cooranvirus conspiracy theorists to their ranks.

Ahemmmmm

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1340707304702926849?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Have you noticed we're in the middle of a pandemic?

Have you noticed that if we had followed Shinner policy we wouldn't be able to borrow anything at realistic rates??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Yurt! wrote: »
    Luckily we have fact-checkers doing digging on some of the more fantastical claims about Norn Iron. It's become a bit of a sport south of Newry for political parties to make up guff about conditions in NI in a desperate attempt to throw shade at Sinn Fein.

Among other things, thejournal.ie did a factcheck on homelessness in NI vs the Republic. They rated a similar claim to your own as a big fat FALSE. (From 2016, but you can bet your last farthing it's still true given how the situation has spiraled in our jurisdiction).

"So while we can’t give an entirely accurate number of those in homelessness in Northern Ireland (by our Department of the Environment criterion), we can confidently say it is not four times what it is here, and may well even be lower.

So Minister Kelly’s claim is very likely to be entirely FALSE
    ."

https://www.thejournal.ie/ge16-fact-check-election-2016-ireland-northern-ireland-sinn-fein-homelessness-child-poverty-2610158-Feb2016/

Bit too vague to have anything resembling credibility.

Usual Journal stuff im afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

smurgen wrote: »

Like the FG'er calling around to threaten the pensioner, it won't be addressed. It took several tries to get the Councilor admiring the blueshirts acknowledged.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,958 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    Like the FG'er calling around to threaten the pensioner, it won't be addressed. It took several tries to get the Councilor admiring the blueshirts acknowledged.

You can’t keep FG out of a SF thread, can you?

Surprised Leo didn’t get a mention somewhere in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

You are some chancer blanch.

You're at it in ffg thread too btw.

That's the kettle calling the teapot black ass if ever there was an example. :pac:

How do you feel about former health minister Reilly being an anti-vaxxer?

• Advertisement

What makes him an anti vaxxer? Because his eldest had a bad reaction to a new vaccine in the 1980s, which he admitted made him hesitant to give it to his younger children, but he did in the end? That's all it takes?

That's some reach Bowie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

"I was concerned because one of my children had a reaction to the old MMR.". Someone has doubts about giving a vaccine to his children because one of them has an adverse reaction but then vaccinated the rest once there was clear risks of not doing so.

Not exactly an anti vaxxer is it? Shinners lying again. Colour me shocked.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    What makes him an anti vaxxer? Because his eldest had a bad reaction to a new vaccine in the 1980s, which he admitted made him hesitant to give it to his younger children, but he did in the end? That's all it takes?

Agreed, however Blanch has posted on TD's raising concerns, merely asking questions, as anti-vaxxers, so I was asking him.
    Kraftwerk wrote: »
    "I was concerned because one of my children had a reaction to the old MMR.". Someone has doubts about giving a vaccine to his children because one of them has an adverse reaction but then vaccinated the rest once there was clear risks of not doing so.

Not exactly an anti vaxxer is it? Shinners lying again. Colour me shocked.

Can you point to the lie, (Blueshirt?)?

Similar to the reach made about the poll on vacines which
    asked 'would you take the vaccine?'.
    No allowance made for hesirancy just a redtop sensationalist 'Shinners are anti vaxxers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

No allowance made for hesirancy just a redtop sensationalist 'Shinners are anti vaxxers'.

When you say hesitancy what do you mean?

An anti vaxxer is someone who refuses to believe or casts unfounded doubt about the scientific evidence. SF td's have done just that.

jh79 wrote: »
    When you say hesitancy what do you mean?

An anti vaxxer is someone who refuses to believe or casts unfounded doubt about the scientific evidence. SF td's have done just that.

Vaccine hesitancy is well known and talked about.
    The poll did not ask if people were 'anti Vaxx' but merely the same thing O'Reilly was asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Vaccine hesitancy is well known and talked about.
    The poll did not ask if people were 'anti Vaxx' but merely the same thing O'Reilly was asked.

It's not just the poll though it's the public representatives too. The combination suggests some anti vaxxer leanings.

If a similar poll at a later date gives the same results then it would be hard to argue otherwise. The vaccine is approved now and the evidence up to the usual standard.

jh79 wrote: »
    It's not just the poll though it's the public representatives too. The combination suggests some anti vaxxer leanings.

If a similar poll at a later date gives the same results then it would be hard to argue otherwise. The vaccine is approved now and the evidence up to the usual standard.

You cannot say until you have the correct data.

You can sensationalise though. As we have seen all parties have had anti vaxxers and those hesitant about vaccines. The only way to judge is party policy.

That poll where only 55% said they would take the vaccine just showed that Sinn Fein have soaked up the vote of a lot of the fringe anti establishment types that would tend to be anti most things if they are being endorsed by the "establishment". That's not a knock on Sinn Fein by the way, every vote counts equally and the party did a good job tapping into that base for the election.

• Advertisement

That poll where only 55% said they would take the vaccine just showed that Sinn Fein have soaked up the vote of a lot of the fringe anti establishment types that would tend to be anti most things if they are being endorsed by the "establishment". That's not a knock on Sinn Fein by the way, every vote counts equally and the party did a good job tapping into that base for the election.

People were not aaked if they were pro or anti vaxx.

You are guessing here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement