Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

The 'electorate' said 'No thanks' to de Party Kaftwerk. Tough reality that for you all.

Good man Francie. Stick to your guns. SF won the election! Jet fuel can't melt steel beams!! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,948 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Kraftwerk wrote: »
    I've read it. The usual Shinner gob****e stuff.

In response to a comment on an unelected councillor sneaking in the back door he said its like how an elected TD was then voted leader of the party. And now we'll have 3 pages of shinners trying to justify their idiotic comments.

Hilarious how ignorant shinners are elections :pac:

'Unelected' people are co-opted all the time.
    Maybe have a pop at Brendie for his trite little bit of nonsense?

Nobody elected Leo to be Taoiseach, not even his party did, they wanted Simon, if you want to really dig into democracy.

Give the 'sinister' stuff a rest if you don't want reminding of this stuff.

Good man Francie. Stick to your guns. SF won the election! Jet fuel can't melt steel beams!! :pac::pac:

SF = 24.5%
    FF = 22.2%
    FG = 20.9%

McMurphy wrote: »
    No, it's obviously still going over your head, despite Coveney receiving more than twice the votes than Leo - the party leaders still chose Varadkar, who then went on to lead FG to their second worse election results in the party's history.

Get it now?

As I said its the "SF won the election nonsense". Leo won the leadership contest. He was an elected TD and was elected party leader because he had the majority of votes from the other elected FG members.

And you think that's like an unelected taxi driver being made a councillor? :pac:

As I said its the "SF won the election nonsense". Leo won the leadership contest. He was an elected TD and was elected party leader because he had the majority of votes from the other elected FG members.

And you think that's like an unelected taxi driver being made a councillor? :pac:

And as with all co-options that all parties make, the electorate will get their say at the next election...which didn't work out too well for old Leo. Agreed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Two things wrong with this post, nowhere in the post you quoted of mine, or on this entire site or otherwise have I ever made a claim "Sinn Fein won the election" - why resort to posting nonsense that is so easily debunked is beyond me tbh, but have at it, secondly Leo didn't have the majority of votes, that's the bloody point FFS.

SF = 24.5%
    FF = 22.2%
    FG = 20.9%

Ah Francie. I wasn't being entirely serious but you genuinely believe SF won the election and were screwed over? This is entry level new Shinner twitter rant stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Ah Francie. I wasn't being entirely serious but you genuinely believe SF won the election and were screwed over? This is entry level new Shinner twitter rant stuff...

Using that type of logic we could say that FF won every election from 1932 up until 2011 and should have been in government for 79 straight years.

Of course, they weren't.

No...just pointing out how it went to YOU, who seems to be the only one here talking in Win/Lose terms.

Christmas Eve is not working out too well for you Kraftwerk...have at the eggnog. ;)

Two things wrong with this post, nowhere in the post you quoted of mine, or on this entire site or otherwise have I ever made a claim "Sinn Fein won the election" - why resort to posting nonsense that is so easily debunked is beyond me tbh, but have at it, secondly Leo didn't have the majority of votes, that's the bloody point FFS.

The old Shinner switcheroo!

Firstly if you read the post you'll notice I never said that anyone said those words. I said its an argument on that level. Secondly Francie is actually arguing that they did win it! Another Shinner shot in the back by a comrade!

Thirdly here's the switcheroo. Part one was invent something to deny that it happened and part two is invent your own misleading claim!

Again if you read the post you'll see the words "from the other elected FG members." which he did. That's why he won the contest. He had much more parliamentary support from those that were elected.

• Advertisement

The old Shinner switcheroo!

Firstly if you read the post you'll notice I never said that anyone said those words. I said its an argument on that level. Secondly Francie is actually arguing that they did win it! Another Shinner shot in the back by a comrade!

Thirdly here's the switcheroo. Part one was invent something to deny that it happened and part two is invent your own misleading claim!

Again if you read the post you'll see the words "from the other elected FG members." which he did. That's why he won the contest. He had much more parliamentary support from those that were elected.

Read carefully...like ALL co-opted representatives, he got his chance in front of the electorate and the electorate said: NO Thank you FG, not this time, NO way José

If the electorate say that to Derren he won't be a councillor no more...but Oh look, Leo is gonna be Taoiseach again in a year...once more without the electorate having a say on that.

That's how our democracy works, you say. Well that's fine, I agree. So what the fug is brendi's problem or yours?

No...just pointing out how it went to YOU, who seems to be the only one here talking in Win/Lose terms.

Christmas Eve is not working out too well for you Kraftwerk...have at the eggnog. ;)

Christmas eve is fine here Francie. Great start to the morning with some quality Shinner entertainment! I don't have any eggnog unfortunately.

But given its Christmas eve I will have to leave you fine people and spend some time with the family. Politics aside I hope you all have a nice and safe Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,499 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Brenner didn't think that brainfart through too well :D

Sorry to burst your bubble Randal, I can’t recall saying there was anything ‘wrong’ with the procedures which Derren went through.

I merely pointed out the facts and they do happen in other parties too.

The Brenner has come under attack here on Christmas Eve for no good reason.

Not nice people.

Sorry to burst your bubble Randal, I can’t recall saying there was anything ‘wrong’ with the procedures which Derren went through.

I merely pointed out the facts and they do happen in other parties too.

The Brenner has come under attack here on Christmas Eve for no good reason.

Not nice people.

A reply straight from the Farage School Of Reputational Salvage. :):)

Merry Christmas Brendi. I got the gift from you and Kraftwerk and Mattser...cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    I don’t think you understood my post.

There are genuine medical reasons for a particular individual to have concerns about a specific vaccine.

There is no reason for general scaremongering about vacccines.

Reilly appears to have engaged in the former, numerous Sinn Fein representatives in the latter.

If you don’t understand the difference, fine.

I understood. I'll be more plain.
    People are allowed have concerns. We live in a free democracy. Having concerns is not being anti anything. People are allowed have uncertainty based on lack of knowledge, being unsure or unfamiliar so hesitant.

Reilly saw a proven vaccine and had reservations over adverse reactions, even though he's a medical doctor. FF/SF/FG politicians had concerns over newer vaccines and raised those concerns as they'd heard of adverse reactions etc..
    The only difference here is Reilly is FG and you want to attack only the SF politicians. It's quite clear.

You've now introduced 'scaremongering'. Is this to move away from Reilly? Anyone actively telling people not to vaccinate because they will 100% be damaged or the like is an anti-vaxxer IMO. If you can point to anyone spreading lies as fact to deter and scare people I would consider them an anti-vaxxer.
    Reilly is not an anti vaxxer IMO. But if the shinners are for having concerns so is Reilly.

blanch152 wrote: »
    A government that has a country in the top 10 of every possible metric?

Again Occam’s Razor is against you on this one.

Which ignores Child homelessness and other crises.

I am fascinated by the gap and disconnect between SF supporters and their politicians.

None of the shinners I know are in to the liberal stuff particularly when it comes to immigration. They are worlds apart from what you hear in the Dail.

All that holds it together is "United Ireland" but scratch the surface and the base will fall a part.

I see big splits on issues coming sooner rather than later.

More predictions of it's demise. Would you look at FF/FG? They had to partner ffs. All FF/FG have is crony money deals.
    The only shinner party members I met were at college. Some of the lecturers were shinners.
    I know people who vote for them and they are as much likely to vote for a local indie all down to the unavoidable fact that people are very unhappy with FG.

Simon won, Leo was handed the prize.

So a FG councilor gifting her council seat to her daughter would be okay?
    And what's your problem with how a man makes a living? #notanormalparty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Suppose Sinn Féin had actually bothered to respect their voters and draw up a framework program for Government and Mary Lou became Taoiseach, if something happened that MLM couldn't carry on in that role, do the SF guys think that there should straight up be another election?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Bowie wrote: »
    Simon won, Leo was handed the prize.

So a FG councilor gifting her council seat to her daughter would be okay?
    And what's your problem with how a man makes a living? #notanormalparty

Don't know the ins and outs of this but co- opting a family member into the council is common practice, when Manus Kelly died they co-opted his dad, then he retired and now Manus' brother is the Councillor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Don't know the ins and outs of this but co- opting a family member into the council is common practice, when Manus Kelly died they co-opted his dad, then he retired and now Manus' brother is the Councillor

Fair few do it in local councils when they win a seat in the Dail, common practice or not, it should not be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,499 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Suckit wrote: »
    Fair few do it in local councils when they win a seat in the Dail, common practice or not, it should not be allowed.

I agree, but what is the alternative.

You can’t have elections every time...perhaps the next highest after the previous election

Yes its common. I'm wonder what FG hypocrisy might be the reason for the gripe over the lad drove a taxi?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I agree, but what is the alternative.

You can’t have elections every time...perhaps the next highest after the previous election
    That's what I would think too.
    They were the ones to put themselves forward, done the work etc.
    It's as bad as the dual mandate. Nobody voted for the relative or friend of somebody.
    The TD's sitting with a brother, sister, father, mother, cousin etc. have the same power/influence they shouldn't have once the dual mandate was abolished.
    I'm not a big fan of political parties running for local government either, but that's a different kettle of corruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I was talking with someone a few days ago and they made a great point on the United Ireland debate.

It would make SF by far the biggest party on the island, much bigger than FG, FF or the DUP, elections would be in the short to medium term at least a foregone conclusion. And that is what the ultimate goal is for an United Ireland - power.

As he said, and his words, not mine - Hitler didn't start in 1939.

I myself have always focused on the economic impacts of an UI, and really didn't give much thought to the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

A united Ireland, unlikely for a long time yet. The Republic can not afford it. When it comes down to Sf and their supporters, as long as Sf get their media attention they will continue to bombast about problems, tangible results they could not give a toss. All one has to do it look north for the proof. Unrest and chaos it where Sf thrive. Sf supporters? all that anger and the increasing ideology of entitlements gives way to some of it. How people can expect to keep getting things at someones else's cost is been increasingly waved away with arrogance. There is a lot of irony with what the Sf supporters and voters think and say. Peoples anger and resent is no longer been managed and instead, people just want to lash out. The famous angry vote is not a wise vote. People can not have everything it's simply not possible for this. The insistence from some that it can be that way gives way to instability and unrest.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

There is huge disappointment among one major political activist group in the border region, due to the successful conclusion of Brexit talks.

The hope had been for damaging trade disruption, rancour at the border, imposition of hardware for checks and a big hit to the ROI economy. All to cause destabilisation in the south and a push for the border poll agenda, irrespective of the cost on the ground. The worse the better.

Expect to see another invented "crisis" hit Stormont in the middle of next year to replace what had been hoped for from Brexit. If vaccination runs well then the obvious route of Covid will be removed.

I expect it to be something from the culture or legacy bag of tricks, that plays well with the middle class student types in the South also. Fiachra and Realtín et al will be apoplectic but remain clueless that they're being played. A 2-for-1 deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Realtin a lovely name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Realtin a lovely name

She is cancelling her consignment of 'smash the border' T shirts. The only thing she will be smashing now is her avocado brunch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

A united Ireland, unlikely for a long time yet. The Republic can not afford it. When it comes down to Sf and their supporters, as long as Sf get their media attention they will continue to bombast about problems, tangible results they could not give a toss. All one has to do it look north for the proof. Unrest and chaos it where Sf thrive. Sf supporters? all that anger and the increasing ideology of entitlements gives way to some of it. How people can expect to keep getting things at someones else's cost is been increasingly waved away with arrogance. There is a lot of irony with what the Sf supporters and voters think and say. Peoples anger and resent is no longer been managed and instead, people just want to lash out. The famous angry vote is not a wise vote. People can not have everything it's simply not possible for this. The insistence from some that it can be that way gives way to instability and unrest.

The only anger I can see here on Christmas day is from the establishment supporters. Like I always see. Not happy having power challenged.have a day off and have a happy Christmas!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement