Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Interesting level of social media followers for SF in comparison to other parties. I wonder how many are "anonymous" for each party :)

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/sinn-fein-eclipses-rivals-with-251000-facebook-and-140000-twitter-followers-39904744.html

• Registered Users Posts: 68,945 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Interesting level of social media followers for SF in comparison to other parties. I wonder how many are "anonymous" for each party :)

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/sinn-fein-eclipses-rivals-with-251000-facebook-and-140000-twitter-followers-39904744.html

Hard to be anonymous on FB. Would be interesting if somebody had a close look at anonymous accounts on twitter alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Wouldnt there be a crossover, I'd be fairly certain that Varadkar follows MaryLou and vice versa,

Hard to be anonymous on FB. Would be interesting if somebody had a close look at anonymous accounts on twitter alright.

Really? If you read the comments on facebook on any article at all you will notice that a large chunk of the comments are coming from anonymous accounts.

Really? If you read the comments on facebook on any article at all you will notice that a large chunk of the comments are coming from anonymous accounts.

Thought you needed to verify yourself. No expert on FB mind you.

• Advertisement

Wouldnt there be a crossover, I'd be fairly certain that Varadkar follows MaryLou and vice versa,

I follow all the parties on Twitter and a crosssection of TD's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

Thought you needed to verify yourself. No expert on FB mind you.

Just need a working email address same as twitter. And it's much more misleading as they'll have real sounding names compared to "Francie123" with 20 followers on twitter. Like yourself people assume they're verified real people with real friends etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I follow all the parties on Twitter and a crosssection of TD's.

That's what I'm getting at, followers doesn't equate to actual supporters

That's what I'm getting at, followers doesn't equate to actual supporters

Yes, I agree. Even putting down that you are a member of a particular party doesn't mean you are either.

Kraftwerk wrote: »
    Just need a working email address same as twitter. And it's much more misleading as they'll have real sounding names compared to "Francie123" with 20 followers on twitter. Like yourself people assume they're verified real people with real friends etc.

I think you are wrong about just needing a working email address. It's a lot more difficult than that.
    Have to say, I haven't ever been aware of them posting on political party FB pages...any data on how big a problem it is here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Facebook have been known to, and will shut down accounts where you pretend to be someone else.

In fact, I'm pretty sure one of their policies is that your profile page contains "the name you use in real life" though I'm open to correction on this, it's been a while since i looked on there.

That's not within an asses roar of any other social media platform so far as I'm aware anyway.

I think you are wrong about just needing a working email address. It's a lot more difficult than that.
    Have to say, I haven't ever been aware of them posting on political party FB pages...any data on how big a problem it is here?

We've already established that you think a lot of things that are just untrue. Here's another example. Quick Google will show you what you need to create a Facebook account. It's the same as twitter.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Facebook have been known to, and will shut down accounts where you pretend to be someone else.

In fact, I'm pretty sure one of their policies is that your profile page contains "the name you use in real life" though I'm open to correction on this, it's been a while since i looked on there.

That's not within an asses roar of any other social media platform so far as I'm aware anyway.

The same stuff is in the policies off all social media platforms. And they all remove fake accounts but their detection is usually based on detecting automated or patterned behaviour.

They've no way of knowing that Michael McMurphy posting about SF isn't real.

As for the "not within an asses roars of other social media platforms" political parties have more presence on facebook than any other social media platform and as the article states.

"Facebook is widely regarded as the most important social media platform because of the shareability of posts.

Unlike Twitter, which tends to attract more highly politicised individuals, Facebook reaches more ordinary voters."

We've already established that you think a lot of things that are just untrue. Here's another example. Quick Google will show you what you need to create a Facebook account. It's the same as twitter.

It may be all you need to set up an account but what I said was 'it was harder to create an 'anonymous' account because of hoops FB makes you jump through...hoops that are easy to jump through if you are genuine and not so easy if you aren't i.e. 'Harder'.

If you would just read posts you might not be so angry all the time.

I have been looking through party accounts on FB to find one of these anonymous accounts and haven't succeeded....could you point to one or several to show the level of the problem?

It may be all you need to set up an account but what I said was 'it was harder to create an 'anonymous' account because of hoops FB makes you jump through...hoops that are easy to jump through if you are genuine and not so easy if you aren't i.e. 'Harder'.

If you would just read posts you might not be so angry all the time.

I have been looking through party accounts on FB to find one of these anonymous accounts and haven't succeeded....could you point to one or several to show the level of the problem?

What hoops? It's the same as twitter. The only verification needed is verifying an email address. If you just made the briefest of attempts to educate yourself before telling everyone else they're wrong you wouldn't have to make such a meal of every argument trying to weasel out of whatever stupid statement you made.

And I have neither the time nor interest in going searching Facebook for fake accounts.

What hoops? It's the same as twitter. The only verification needed is verifying an email address. If you just made the briefest of attempts to educate yourself before telling everyone else they're wrong you wouldn't have to make such a meal of every argument trying to weasel out of whatever stupid statement you made.

And I have neither the time nor interest in going searching Facebook for fake accounts.

So you know it happens...but you can't show it happening on any party accounts on FB? I still haven't found one BTW doing the 'research' you claim I don't do.

What I said was it is not as simple as verifying an email address if you are trying to be anonymous. PLEASE read what is being said. Maybe read about how 'Hard' it is here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/eqzr0v/my_attempt_at_creating_an_anonymous_facebook/

The same stuff is in the policies off all social media platforms. And they all remove fake accounts but their detection is usually based on detecting automated or patterned behaviour.

They've no way of knowing that Michael McMurphy posting about SF isn't real.

As for the "not within an asses roars of other social media platforms" political parties have more presence on facebook than any other social media platform and as the article states.

"Facebook is widely regarded as the most important social media platform because of the shareability of posts.

Unlike Twitter, which tends to attract more highly politicised individuals, Facebook reaches more ordinary voters."

Do the rest of them have a policy dictating that your profile must be the name you use in real life?

In fairness, I don't use it much, I use a pseudonym on twitter, but definitely don't recall any policy stating I couldn't.

Edit, no it actively states using a pseudonym is fine, whereas Facebook says the opposite.

I don't even know why it's being debated, it's well known that Facebook has a fake profile issue and they fully admit to this themselves.

It's difficult for them to prove that 'John Murphy' isnt who he claims to be. Facebook themselves believe that 1 in 20 profiles on facebook are fake with someone claiming to be someone they are not. Given they are likely being kind to themselves there, the reality is probably far worse.

They also have a major issue with bot accounts, they need to delete about 6 billion accounts created by bots every single year. That is not a typo, 6 billion.

I don't even know why it's being debated, it's well known that Facebook has a fake profile issue and they fully admit to this themselves.

It's difficult for them to prove that 'John Murphy' isnt who he claims to be. Facebook themselves believe that 1 in 20 profiles on facebook are fake with someone claiming to be someone they are not. Given they are likely being kind to themselves there, the reality is probably far worse.

They also have a major issue with bot accounts, they need to delete about 6 billion accounts created by bots every single year. That is not a typo, 6 billion.

Can you point to one posting in Irish political party accounts? Any data on the prevalence of the problem there specifically.

I know the problem with bot accounts and fake accounts trying to sell stuff.

You guys are making the claims...can you back them up is the question.

No-one is trying to deny there are obviously fake profile accounts, I'm a personal friend with a very famous sportsperson who uses a pseudonym on Facebook for obvious reasons.

The point is - you're not supposed to on Facebook, but that isn't the case on most other social media platforms where pseudonyms are encouraged.

• Advertisement

Can you point to one posting in Irish political party accounts? Any data on the prevalence of the problem there specifically.

I know the problem with bot accounts and fake accounts trying to sell stuff.

You guys are making the claims...can you back them up is the question.

Sorry, are you claiming that Facebook are lying about a fake account problem on their platform? I'm not sure what your end game is on that?

It's well known they have a problem. So much so that they admit to it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Has nothing to do with SF.

smurgen wrote: »
    Has nothing to do with SF.

Go point smurg. Might be useful if you posted that to the people pulling this off topic :)

Sorry, are you claiming that Facebook are lying about a fake account problem on their platform? I'm not sure what your end game is on that?

It's well known they have a problem. So much so that they admit to it themselves.

No.
    The discussion is about anonymous accounts posting on Irish political party pages.

I can find none, nor any data on how big an issue it is on Facebook.

I have claimed and shown at least some back up that it is 'harder' to set up an anonymous account on FB than it is on Twitter (where anonymous accounts are a known issue and some even think them a good idea)

No.
    The discussion is about anonymous accounts posting on Irish political party pages.

I can find none, nor any data on how big an issue it is on Facebook.

I have claimed and shown at least some back up that it is 'harder' to set up an anonymous account on FB than it is on Twitter (where anonymous accounts are a known issue and some even think them a good idea)

"The discussion is about anonymous accounts posting on Irish political party pages."

I don't follow political party facebook pages and never made the above claim, so you will need to do your own research on that.

"The discussion is about anonymous accounts posting on Irish political party pages."

I don't follow political party facebook pages and never made the above claim, so you will need to do your own research on that.

You did make this claim though.

And my answer is, 'No I have never noticed a large chunk of the comments are coming from anonymous accounts'

So far that seems to be a feeling in your water as you haven't as yet posted an example of this happening in an Irish political context...of which thread is concerned..

You did make this claim though.

And my answer is, 'No I have never noticed a large chunk of the comments are coming from anonymous accounts'

So far that seems to be a feeling in your water as you haven't as yet posted an example of this happening in an Irish political context...of which thread is concerned..

I stand by my point that if you read the comments on anything on facebook, you will see a large amount of fake accounts trying to rile people up/spreading conspiracy stuff. Facebook agree they have an issue with fake accounts.

If you haven't noticed that then you must not be on facebook.

We have gone off topic anyway, so let's leave it there.

I stand by my point that if you read the comments on anything on facebook, you will see a large amount of fake accounts trying to rile people up/spreading conspiracy stuff. Facebook agree they have an issue with fake accounts.

If you haven't noticed that then you must not be on facebook.

We have gone off topic anyway, so let's leave it there.

Nothing to back up your claim...happy to leave it there if you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Who said there are none? There's clearly SF and FG shills on here who spend every waking moment promoting and defending their chosen party while pretending to be impartial voters.

But to suggest that 6 new accounts on twitter is evidence of a FG recruitment for nefarious activities because these new accounts have no followers is complete conspiracy theory nonsense. The village idiots are slapping up stupidity wrapped as conspiracy and gullible people like Francie are eating it up and regurgitating it on here as fact. Then you have other posters compounding the conspiracy nonsense by saying that everything bad thing you hear about FG is probably true.

Like I said this is freemen of the land level stuff.

No idea. I was pointing out its likely is all.

I've never promoted SF myself. Feel free to check my long posting history. I praised the housing element pre election.
    That said I'd take them head and shoulders above FG but that's more on FG. FG do get up to some amount of shenanigans and their attitude is abysmal.

• Advertisement

Nothing to back up your claim...happy to leave it there if you wish.

I have Facebook's own comments to back up my claim, saying at least 1 in 20 profiles on their website are fake. Pretty clear cut and straight from the horses mouth.

Feel free to ignore that though and claim I have "nothing to back it up". Trumpian logic on show. I don't even know what you have to gain from defending facebook here.

Enjoy the rest of your evening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement