Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Another 'good republican' ;)
    THE Republic's Foreign Affairs Minister Simon Coveney has said he would like to see a united Ireland in his "political lifetime".

In a surprise statement that is expected to buoy northern nationalists but draw stern criticism from unionists, the 45-year-old Fine Gael deputy leader said he was "constitutional nationalist" who aspired to a 32-county republic.

"I would like to see a united Ireland in my lifetime – if possible, in my political lifetime," he told the Oireachtas Good Friday Agreement Committee yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

From the legend who repeats lies and insinuations about republicans that aren't 'good' in his opinion.

Face it blanch, you are like Gerry, you have your own good republicans too. :)

Blanch was probably up at Mckevitts funeral, him being FGs type of republican

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Bowie wrote: »
    Another 'good republican' ;)

I'd have some trust in him to have a sensible approach to it. Not sugar coat it but get out there and secure some investment. Recognise the financial hurdles and get ahead of them.

jh79 wrote: »
    I'd have some trust in him to have a sensible approach to it. Not sugar coat it but get out there and secure some investment. Recognise the financial hurdles and get ahead of them.

Agreed, as do the FG membership, yet the FG HQ gifted the leadership to Varadkar.
    Pointing out being a Republican isn't necessarily being a shinner or a FG'er. Not that there's anything wrong with being either.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Who is proposing a UI without securing investment and support jh79...do tell?

Must have sent you guys reeling in shock that Coveney reckons it's doable in his political lifetime. :)

• Advertisement

Must have sent you guys reeling in shock that Coveney reckons it's doable in his political lifetime. :)

There's folk think a transition period would be discrimination :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    There's folk think a transition period would be discrimination :)

There are folk that think there is no cost to unification, that believe in taxing unicorns and rainbows to pay for it, that harmonisation is not necessary, thereby preserving discrimination.

Complete charlatans that ignore the costs of unification.

blanch152 wrote: »
    There are folk that think there is no cost to unification, that believe in taxing unicorns and rainbows to pay for it, that harmonisation is not necessary, thereby preserving discrimination.

There are folk who think partition has cost nothing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Quick one, Blanch.....do you think unification, should it happen in the most perfect of economic circumstances such so that even the likes of you were on board, would be an on the spot flick of the switch? Or do you think it would be a gradual transition? A passing of the torch rather than blowing a stick of dynamite if you will.

If you would expect, as most rational people would, that it will be a gradual transition, do you think it would be egregiously discriminatory should all things not be equalised overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

There are folk who think partition has cost nothing either.

And there are folks that think a UI should happen regardless of cost.

• Advertisement

Francie i've posted many times that if you wanted an UI FG are the party to vote for as they would be best for the economy. SF populist someone else will pay approach is not going to achieve it.

Gonna be hard for Coveney to achieve from the opposition benches.

Francie i've posted many times that if you wanted an UI FG are the party to vote for as they would be best for the economy. SF populist someone else will pay approach is not going to achieve it.

Irish Water? Irish Unity?

No thanks jh79

markodaly wrote: »
    And there are folks that think a UI should happen regardless of cost.

Yes, I would be one because partition is too costly in far more ways than money.

You seem to be missing one vital fact, in all likelihood Coveney's political career ends at the next election,

You seem to be missing one vital fact, in all likelihood Coveney's political career ends at the next election,

You missed the last line of my post. Not much he can do from the opposition benches.

You missed the last line of my post. Not much he can do from the opposition benches.

There is consensus on a UI in the political sphere jh79...government/opposition in alignment, so from a UI perspective we have a national government.

There is consensus on a UI in the political sphere jh79...government/opposition in alignment, so from a UI perspective we have a national government.

There's not a consensus on timelines though. Bluster from Martin / MLD on it not happening / happening within 5 years. Leo seems to think it's a long time away.

While it's essentially up to the British i can't see anything happening untill the economy is fixed and after that it could be decades of negotiations to get it right.

There's not a consensus on timelines though. Bluster from Martin / MLD on it not happening / happening within 5 years. Leo seems to think it's a long time away.

While it's essentially up to the British i can't see anything happening untill the economy is fixed and after that it could be decades of negotiations to get it right.

if's and buts.

Fact is you don't know jh79.

if's and buts.

Fact is you don't know jh79.

Either do you but my opinion that the Republic is not willing to pay for it is supported by an opinion poll.

A 40% drop when asked if they were willing to pay via taxation would be foolish to ignore.

Either do you but my opinion that the Republic is not willing to pay for it is supported by an opinion poll.

A 40% drop when asked if they were willing to pay via taxation would be foolish to ignore.

One opinion poll asking a question we would all probably answer no to, is not a consensus or a reason not to proceed.

And correct, I don't know either, which is why I am not making grandiose claims on it.

Times are changing fast, I am happy to go where they are flowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭touts

Had to laugh when I heard Pearse Doherty called out red handed for spreading Fake News on Saturday with Katie Hannon. And by Mary Butler of all people. She's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer and yet she gutted him and all he could do was stammer and stutter a half apology. And in the week that people are not exactly very friendly to populist rabble rousers.

touts wrote: »
    Had to laugh when I heard Pearse Doherty called out red handed for spreading Fake News on Saturday with Katie Hannon. And by Mary Butler of all people. She's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer and yet she gutted him and all he could do was stammer and stutter a half apology. And in the week that people are not exactly very friendly to populist rabble rousers.

What happened?

Was he 'torn a new one', so to spake? :)

He wont be sitting on them, he'll be in a warehouse in Birmingham overseeing mayonnaise shipments for his brother

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

What happened?

He said we're the worst in the EU for Covid spread and she said 'no we're not, we're mid table'.

No comment however when he said that it's a disgrace that someone in the HSE should get a €92k pay rise and she said 'I don't know who decided on that'.

I think that's the bigger problem here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭touts

What happened?

She left him go off on a rant about how Ireland was the worst ranked country in Europe for percentage of population vaccinated. He was getting really riled up and then she just interrupted with actual facts and he was speechless. Knew he had been caught out on a complete lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

She left him go off on a rant about how Ireland was the worst ranked country in Europe for percentage of population vaccinated. He was getting really riled up and then she just interrupted with actual facts and he was speechless. Knew he had been caught out on a complete lie.

It is the Trump/Brexit tactic, make up a statistic to criticise your opponent, lie about it, double down on the lie, keep repeating it. Unfortunately, as we have seen with Trump, it works a lot of the time.

Sinn Fein are quick to pick up on every nasty trick in the book.

It is the Trump/Brexit tactic, make up a statistic to criticise your opponent, lie about it, double down on the lie, keep repeating it. Unfortunately, as we have seen with Trump, it works a lot of the time.

Sinn Fein are quick to pick up on every nasty trick in the book.

Is that the guy Leo helped with planning and who sympathised with him on his media issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Is that the guy Leo helped with planning and who sympathised with him on his media issues?

The same guy who attended a $500 a plate fund raising dinner for Sinn Fein and met privately with then Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams. Maybe they compared notes on their property empires or swapped notes on how best to suppress sexual assault allegations. The same guy Adams later congratulated on being elected the 45th president of the US.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    The same guy who attended a $500 a plate fund raising dinner for Sinn Fein and met privately with then Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams. Maybe they compared notes on their property empires or swapped notes on how best to suppress sexual assault allegations. The same guy Adams later congratulated on being elected the 45th president of the US.

What was wrong with that?

Doing planning favours SS though...that used to get you in trouble back in the day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement