Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

blanch152 wrote: »
    54,000 people signifies the level of essential travel in the common travel area.

That number is impossible to police, and impossible to reduce, hence the need to look at an alternative solution. This isn't 1930s DeValera's Ireland where only a handful of contacts with the UK were needed.

I know of one couple who flew Easyjet to Belfast after their Aer Lingus Dublin flight got cancelled and they're from Malahide but wanted to come home from London for Christmas - not essential travel at all. They even got the bus up from Belfast to Dublin. A pair of idiots tbh but I'm sure there's plenty more like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

grayzer75 wrote: »
    I know of one couple who flew Easyjet to Belfast after their Aer Lingus Dublin flight got cancelled and they're from Malahide but wanted to come home from London for Christmas - not essential travel at all. They even got the bus up from Belfast to Dublin. A pair of idiots tbh but I'm sure there's plenty more like them.

They are not included in the 54,000 essential travellers who came through Dublin Airport.

Francie is trying to tarnish thousands of people as rulebreakers without any evidence at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They are not included in the 54,000 essential travellers who came through Dublin Airport.

Francie is trying to tarnish thousands of people as rulebreakers without any evidence at all.

Have you a link or not?

Have you a link or not?

You are accusing 54,000 people of being rulebreakers without any evidence, and you are asking me to produce a link to prove they are not rulebreakers.

As it is the Sinn Fein thread, maybe you could prove to me that Mary-Lou is not Chief of Staff of the IRA, because by your rules, I could just say that she is without any evidence.

You are accusing 54,000 people of being rulebreakers without any evidence, and you are asking me to produce a link to prove they are not rulebreakers.

As it is the Sinn Fein thread, maybe you could prove to me that Mary-Lou is not Chief of Staff of the IRA, because by your rules, I could just say that she is without any evidence.

Where did I accuse them of being 'rulebreakers' blanch?

Where is the back up to show these were essential workers? Just back up please, more than willing to accept it if you can back it up.

• Advertisement
      • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

There are folk that think there is no cost to unification, that believe in taxing unicorns and rainbows to pay for it, that harmonisation is not necessary, thereby preserving discrimination.

Complete charlatans that ignore the costs of unification.

So you're off the pretend link from education to border control and are now dodging the silly claim you made and questions you dodged concerning a transition period to lie about people claiming unification would cost nothing...sad.

We will need address costs. We will not refuse to form a united Ireland over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Bowie wrote: »
        So you're off the pretend link from education to border control and are now dodging the silly claim you made and questions you dodged concerning a transition period to lie about people claiming unification would cost nothing...sad.

We will need address costs. We will not refuse to form a united Ireland over it.

Just as a matter of interest, how much money is too much in your opinion for a United Ireland?

Given the Government income is about 60bn EUR in a good year....would you be willing to pay for example 50 euro a week for it?

Just as a matter of interest, how much money is too much in your opinion for a United Ireland?

Given the Government income is about 60bn EUR in a good year....would you be willing to pay for example 50 euro a week for it?

Can't say. I don't think anyone can give solid numbers so it's hard to judge. If you can tell me we'd be eating out of bins, for a fact or people would be dropping dead from the hunger while sleeping in the cold I'd suggest we hold off.

TBF, we went broke for personal greed and got into generational debt to enable the same people and institutions flourish once again. Considering this was all acceptable and likely to happen again in our lifetime I'd rather we made sacrifices for a united Ireland than white collar chancers.
        I would not want someone on welfare or working needing state aid to enrich pals of FF/FG/Greens with rent to have to pay 50, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Can't say. I don't think anyone can give solid numbers so it's hard to judge. If you can tell me we'd be eating out of bins, for a fact or people would be dropping dead from the hunger while sleeping in the cold I'd suggest we hold off.

TBF, we went broke for personal greed and got into generational debt to enable the same people and institutions flourish once again. Considering this was all acceptable and likely to happen again in our lifetime I'd rather we made sacrifices for a united Ireland than white collar chancers.
        I would not want someone on welfare or working needing state aid to enrich pals of FF/FG/Greens with rent to have to pay 50, no.

Tricky one here is that FDI will need to increase to match the population increase so taxing multinationals wouldn't be wise. The ordinary worker is going to foot most of the bill. Unlike the bank bailout they will have a choice.

jh79 wrote: »
        Tricky one here is that FDI will need to increase to match the population increase so taxing multinationals wouldn't be wise. The ordinary worker is going to foot most of the bill. Unlike the bank bailout they will have a choice.

As regards the other lads query, do you think people would have voted for generational debt?

• Advertisement

I meant you personally, would you pay 50 euro a week for twenty years for a United Ireland?

Edit i didn't mean it so aggressively but yourself in the context as an ordinary worker!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

As regards the other lads query, do you think people would have voted for generational debt?

Hard to know given the circumstances. Why does it matter anyways? We get to choose if we want unification.

I meant you personally, would you pay 50 euro a week for twenty years for a United Ireland?

Edit i didn't mean it so aggressively but yourself in the context as an ordinary worker!

Maybe. However I can imagine there'd be some kind of a ****show afoot to call for that so I'd need more specifics. If you're comparing it to like subscribing for Netflix with no other consequences, yes.
        How much extra tax will I be/have paid because of FF/FG and their banking and property pals I wonder?

Do you think we should have no transition period?
        Do you think the public would have voted for generational debt re: the last crash?

Hard to know given the circumstances. Why does it matter anyways? We get to choose if we want unification.

It's the same premise, what would you be willing to pay for the bailouts or do you think they shouldn't have happened?

I'm comparing the two. My thinking is we have and will be rode bailing out white collar chancers so paying towards a UI is much more rewarding and satisfying, IMO.

It's the same premise, what would you be willing to pay for the bailouts or do you think they shouldn't have happened?

I'm comparing the two. My thinking is we have and will be rode bailing out white collar chancers so paying towards a UI is much more rewarding and satisfying, IMO.

Philip Boucher Hayes had a good documentary on the radio last week where he reckoned the bank bailout cost us 40 odd billion but saved us over a hundred billion had the banks not been bailed out. Interesting to note too that anyone with shares in a bank last everything.

Anyway, you haven't answered my question, bad money if that's how you see it is already spent. The Germany example shows that reunification is extremely expensive for a good number of years - where one side is going to bring the other up to the same level. What do you think is a fair amount extra for an average worker in ROI to pay towards Unification?

Even in a transition (where everything stays the same in NI) you're still running a whopper deficit.

For colour some numbers:

In ordinary times we have 2.1 million income tax payers - if we hit them for 50 euro extra a week that's about 5 and a half billion extra. That's about roughly half the NI subvention.

Philip Boucher Hayes had a good documentary on the radio last week where he reckoned the bank bailout cost us 40 odd billion but saved us over a hundred billion had the banks not been bailed out. Interesting to note too that anyone with shares in a bank last everything.

Anyway, you haven't answered my question, bad money if that's how you see it is already spent. The Germany example shows that reunification is extremely expensive for a good number of years - where one side is going to bring the other up to the same level. What do you think is a fair amount extra for an average worker in ROI to pay towards Unification?

Even in a transition (where everything stays the same in NI) you're still running a whopper deficit.

For colour some numbers:

In ordinary times we have 2.1 million income tax payers - if we hit them for 50 euro extra a week that's about 5 and a half billion extra. That's about roughly half the NI subvention.

I have answered yours completely. See the post above the one you quoted.
        You have not answered mine.

Why do you think we should not have a transition period?
        Do you think the public would have voted for generational debt?

I have answered yours completely. See the post above the one you quoted.
        You have not answered mine.

Why do you think we should not have a transition period?
        Do you think the public would have voted for generational debt?

We will have a transitional period but it shouldn't be any longer than a year maximum. Otherwise you run the risk of "constant flux" that deters badly needed investment (investment craves stability, people don't put money into things that are going to change).

Of course the public wouldn't vote for debt. Why do you think they should vote for it with no benefit in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Remember at the weekend, Pearse Doherty getting owned for saying we had the worst figures in Europe, turns out he was right. Bet the same posters saying he got owned by Mary Butler will be very quiet or deflect. Shambles of a strategy by FFG. Apologies on a postcard:)

UDAWINNER wrote: »
        Remember at the weekend, Pearse Doherty getting owned for saying we had the worst figures in Europe, turns out he was right. Bet the same posters saying he got owned by Mary Butler will be very quiet or deflect. Shambles of a strategy by FFG. Apologies on a postcard:)

Almost as if ffg have taken to simply lying and gaslighting the population

Stephen donnolly was at same type sh1t last night....they cant be trusted

Didn't he say we had the worst vaccination numbers - which isn't true?

No one is arguing the cases are off the chart (but dropping)

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 19,498 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Didn't he say we had the worst vaccination numbers - which isn't true?

No one is arguing the cases are off the chart (but dropping)

Lookit, Pat got the chance to blow off steam, but he was warned and advised as to what to do, but did he do it?

Not a chance.

It’s like blaming the Clampers when you get the iron boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

touts wrote: »
        Had to laugh when I heard Pearse Doherty called out red handed for spreading Fake News on Saturday with Katie Hannon. And by Mary Butler of all people. She's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer and yet she gutted him and all he could do was stammer and stutter a half apology. And in the week that people are not exactly very friendly to populist rabble rousers.

Pearse was right by the looks of things.

Almost as if ffg have taken to simply lying and gaslighting the population

Stephen donnolly was at same type sh1t last night....they cant be trusted

Stephen was doing a Micheál Martin denial (a lá the bank bailout) last night. Got torn another new one on social media for it, so he did, so he did, didn't he. :)

https://mobile.twitter.com/newschambers/status/1348719146893258758

More fake news.

Pearse at the weekend shot his mouth off about us having the worst vaccination numbers in the world. He was wrong, and he still is wrong.

Not surprising that someone will try and twist the facts to make out he was right.

You won't get an answer on this. There is a very simplistic and naive narrative peddled by some posters around here that we can afford a united Ireland because we bailed out the banks. It is disingenuous, silly and off the wall, but that doesn't stop them.

For colour some numbers:

The thing is that many of those who call for a united Ireland are not taxpayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

The thing is that many of those who call for a united Ireland are not taxpayers.

Have you evidence to back this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

grayzer75 wrote: »
        Have you evidence to back this up?

Just one of the assumptions in the FG playbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

You won't get an answer on this. There is a very simplistic and naive narrative peddled by some posters around here that we can afford a united Ireland because we bailed out the banks. It is disingenuous, silly and off the wall, but that doesn't stop them.

Thought Dinny was a mad royalist

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Fann Linn wrote: »
        Pearse was right by the looks of things.

Yer wan picked up on Dohertys statement to deflect from high pay rises in the HSE upper echelons, 92k in one case

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

With negative interest rates at the moment, now is the time to borrow money.

This discussion has been closed.
      Advertisement