Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,911 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bowie wrote: »
    This is a classic Blanch.

Could have been penned by Leo himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    Start a thread on O'Gorman and Thatchell if you want.

I will stick to Mary-Lou on this thread.

My comment/question, which you failed to answer was literally about MLMD.

There's a common trait within FF/FG of using victims and minorities to try score political points while attacking members of the public for not voting how FF/FG might like. It's low grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

That's not true, around here, I get pestered continuously about the issue and get mislabelled by many about my voting.

Well, I don't care who you vote for. I am interested in who you are peddling your attack dog spin for though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Are the SF stooges in here insinuating that Roderic O Gorman is a paedophile or a paedophile sympathiser?

I don't think it's true.

• Advertisement

Are the SF stooges in here insinuating that Roderic O Gorman is a paedophile or a paedophile sympathiser?

I don't think it's true.

Not that I can see. Quite the opposite in fact. Using that bull hockey to dispense with MLMD supporting Spacey/Allen habits/views because she likes their films.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

christy c wrote: »
    A former official said it in relation to Ireland, was there an official comment by the IMF? Genuine question.

As we all know, we had based our spending pre 08 on unsustainable tax revenues. When this revenue collapsed, we needed to make up the shortfall.

Good part of that was the billions to bail out Dinny's boyfriend's failed bank

• Registered Users Posts: 27,934 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

McMurphy wrote: »
    No, but you are, and you brought the insinuations into it. Because once again, like a moth to a bulb, you couldn't resist the shinner bash story, and once again have egg on your face.

You just can't help yourself.

Complete and utter bollocks, the story I read - and you actually linked to, did not defend either men's actions or allegations, but instead said their work still stood on its own two feet.

On Spacey.

Blanch caught spoofing and spreading his misinformation yet again.

If you have to resort to lying and bullshytting - it really reveals the nothingness in the story to begin with, complete and utter non story.

No egg on my face. I am really surprised at your dogged defence of Mary-Lou on this. A nothing story that has other politicians commenting on this

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sinn-fein-leader-criticised-for-her-admiration-of-disgraced-hollywood-duo-and-rebuke-of-cancel-culture-39970572.html

Your own party leader - Catherine Murphy - had this to say on Mary-Lou's criticisms of Me Too:

"Catherine Murphy, co-leader of the Social Democrats, also expressed surprise, saying MeToo had done much good in countering what was the misuse of power by the famous, who held such power by dint of their fame, as in the Harvey Weinstein case.

“It can be very difficult for people to challenge that power, because there were few tools at their disposal — yet word of mouth and boycotts were some of them,” she said.

“When they do challenge such power, it shouldn’t be dismissed or diminished."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Neither Spacey nor Allen have been convicted of any crimes. In that context, the fact that any of these statements are remotely controversial is absolutely ridiculous.

#MeToo completely destroyed the concept of innocent until proven guilty, but I for one am glad to see a politician choosing not to go along with the "someone said this person did something, therefore they did it" mentality. In fact, the left's general refusal to do so is one of the things which would give me pause in deciding to vote for them, were it not for the fact that cost of living inflation eclipses such issues by orders of magnitude.

No egg on my face. I am really surprised at your dogged defence of Mary-Lou on this. A nothing story that has other politicians commenting on this

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sinn-fein-leader-criticised-for-her-admiration-of-disgraced-hollywood-duo-and-rebuke-of-cancel-culture-39970572.html

Your own party leader - Catherine Murphy - had this to say on Mary-Lou's criticisms of Me Too:

"Catherine Murphy, co-leader of the Social Democrats, also expressed surprise, saying MeToo had done much good in countering what was the misuse of power by the famous, who held such power by dint of their fame, as in the Harvey Weinstein case.

“It can be very difficult for people to challenge that power, because there were few tools at their disposal — yet word of mouth and boycotts were some of them,” she said.

#metoo has done much harm also, and any politician praising it needs to recognise that too.
    It gives a hiding place for those who will hang on the basis of an allegation or to those with another agenda and is one of the most undemocratic developments I have ever seen in the world tbh.
    It's days are numbered as more and more people realise it's potential for abuse.

• Advertisement

You often cite the 'permanently outraged'. Outside of MLMD saying she thinks cancel culture is too absolutist, what's the outrage? Do I infer you are a misogynist now? Is that how the game is played? I'm not saying you are based on this.
    I think #metoo was long over due.

Here's a good un':
    Outside of the Dail and a the permanently outraged on Twitter and boards, who cares about these issues?

I mean, the same set of outraged posters were telling me two weeks ago that Roderic was a dead duck over some perceived non-issue with Mother and Baby homes. Now who is talking about it?

Covid-19 is affecting everyone's mental health, but it seems the permanently outraged are being affected more than the norm.

A double whammy rounded off with the inference people you disagree with might have mental health issues. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

No egg on your face?

Ok, I'll give you a get out of jail card so.

Back this up please, can you quote her defending them?
    blanch152 wrote:
    This is the Sinn Fein thread, Mary-Lou is on record defending Spacey and Allen,

Your chance to shine is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Neither Spacey nor Allen have been convicted of any crimes. In that context, the fact that any of these statements are remotely controversial is absolutely ridiculous.

#MeToo completely destroyed the concept of innocent until proven guilty, but I for one am glad to see a politician choosing not to go along with the "someone said this person did something, therefore they did it" mentality. In fact, the left's general refusal to do so is one of the things which would give me pause in deciding to vote for them, were it not for the fact that cost of living inflation eclipses such issues by orders of magnitude.

Could we leave those two to the film forum, please?

FG thought it was appropriate,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Did they....where?

It was actually Labour and the Social Democrats who raised the issue of Mary-Lou's remarks, not FF nor FG.

It helps understand why she was unable to attract any coalition partners after the last election.

It was actually Labour and the Social Democrats who raised the issue of Mary-Lou's remarks, not FF nor FG.

It helps understand why she was unable to attract any coalition partners after the last election.

So SF are okay now, except for MLMD liking 'Glen Garry, Glen Ross' and 'Bananas'? :rolleyes:

So SF are okay now, except for MLMD liking 'Glen Garry, Glen Ross' and 'Bananas'? :rolleyes:

:D:D:D Like this is where we are at now. How freaking desperate does it get, Mary Lou's choice of film?

I'm responding to the suggestion that Mary Lou has somehow done wrong by refusing to engage in witch hunting. She has done absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever and personally I would break with what is apparently a very large proportion of leftists in agreeing with the remarks.

Leo is a fan of"call me by your name", be careful he doesn't eat the toe off you

• Advertisement

Varadkar the shinner through and through. Here he is advocating for an all island approach to Covid
    :)

McMurphy wrote: »
    No egg on your face?

Ok, I'll give you a get out of jail card so.

Let's be clear on this. In raising the remarks made by Mary-Lou, I was echoing concerns raised by respected political figures such as Catherine Murphy and Ivana Bacik. In responding with a look-over-there at O'Gorman piece, you were echoing concerns raised by right-wing bigots.

I am very comfortable sitting where I am on this.

Let's be clear on this. In raising the remarks made by Mary-Lou, I was echoing concerns raised by respected political figures such as Catherine Murphy and Ivana Bacik. In responding with a look-over-there at O'Gorman piece, you were echoing concerns raised by right-wing bigots.

Echoing concerns, where you blancharised it to add on your own spin about defending the pair, yeah?

So just so we're clear, you've no evidence or anything of substance at all to back up your complete and utter lie?

Grand so.

She said she enjoyed Allen's movies, and apparently Leo had said the same thing s few weeks beforehand (Dec 1st 2020).

Course you are. Seems you like the egg face look too. :D

Let's be clear on this. In raising the remarks made by Mary-Lou, I was echoing concerns raised by respected political figures such as Catherine Murphy and Ivana Bacik.

Ivana Bacik is a bigoted, sexist disgrace of a politician. One of the many failed politicians whose continued relevance is owed entirely to the shambles that is government appointment to the Seanad.

Varadkar the shinner through and through. Here he is advocating for an all island approach to Covid
    :)

Couldn't make this up, poor auld blanch - always something there to hang him out to dry by the gonads.

Epic fail. :pac:

See this?
    Just think how stupid a political leader is to endorse Spacey and Allen, and then think of them holding the reins of power. An apologist for abuse of women and young boys is not the kind of person we want as Taoiseach, unless you choose to differ on this.

I mean, it's not like she is doing something simple like quoting Mean Girls, is it?

Here you are claiming MLMD is "An apologist for abuse of women and young boys". This goes with your race baiting and using of minorities to score political points.

You end with a quip regarding Varadkar's complete lack of empathy and disrespect for people suffering through Covid and the families of the dead like MLMD liking films by Allen and Spacey is comparable.
    Just awful.

You could ask a whole range of people, from Lousie O'Keefe, to Vicky Phelan to Catherine Corless, who is responsible for and who are apologists for ongoing abuse of women and child victims and I'll bet SF and Mary Lou will be a long long way down the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

christy c wrote: »
    A former official said it in relation to Ireland, was there an official comment by the IMF? Genuine question.

As we all know, we had based our spending pre 08 on unsustainable tax revenues. When this revenue collapsed, we needed to make up the shortfall.

@Blaaz. Maybe you missed this or I missed your reply. Where were you getting that the IMF said austerity was a mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/we-were-wrong-imf-report-details-the-damage-of-austerity-11533

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/27/austerity-policies-do-more-harm-than-good-imf-study-concludes

In relation to eire
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/austerity-only-policy-for-ireland-was-a-mistake-admits-former-imf-chief-866012-Apr2013/%3famp=1

In sound,for those unwilling to read (i think its the man,that headed up the imf "mission" here,hope he is offial enough!!)
    https://m.soundcloud.com/morning-ireland/austerity-was-a-mistake-says/reposts

Greece (generally regarded as worst case)

https://www.bruegel.org/2015/04/the-imfs-big-greek-mistake/

www.economics.utoronto.ca › ...PDF
    IMF admits: We failed to realise the damage austerity would do to Greece

Admission to needing debt restructuring (remember syriza being laughed at for pointing this out years previously)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22791248

Will i continue,remember rte and irish media and political establishment still sneer at those who pointed out the obvious at the time

Thanks for the links, I was referring specifically to Ireland and had seen that former IMF guy's comments before. Greece was an even bigger mess and made Ireland look like a speed bump.

I stand by what I said, luckily the electorate did sneer at SF and their policies at the time. We had a huge gap to plug between spending and income. Very little coming out of SF's mouth at the time was credible IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Ivana Bacik is a bigoted, sexist disgrace of a politician. One of the many failed politicians whose continued relevance is owed entirely to the shambles that is government appointment to the Seanad.

Isnt she elected on the panel from Trinners?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement