Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    Increasing supply at a rate greater than increasing demand ensures that the market price drops.

Not under FF/FG it won't.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

https://twitter.com/philip_ryan/status/1351551874831421440?s=21

I don’t particularly care about what she said about #MeToo, but SF press officers sharing the recording with journalists and leaving that bit out is dodgy as f*ck and a stupid, stupid thing to do.

It’s like they don’t think journalists talk to each other.

Faugheen wrote: »

I don’t particularly care about what she said about #MeToo, but SF press officers sharing the recording with journalists and leaving that bit out is dodgy as f*ck and a stupid, stupid thing to do.

It's a nothing story. I'm suprised SF were arsed doing anything. I'd have more respect if they ignored the idiocy of the desperate FF/FG lobby.
    We've the complete inaccurate balls of the mother and baby home report. FF/FG covering for their former party members and the church. Varadkar jumping on board with the SF all island approach but Donnelly not answering four requests from Stormount and on and on...MLMD likes Spacey and Allen movies, I mean ffs..

Bowie wrote: »
    It's a nothing story. I'm suprised SF were arsed doing anything. I'd have more respect if they ignored the idiocy of the desperate FF/FG lobby.

If SF press officers are leaving out parts of a press conference I wouldn’t consider that a ‘nothing’ story at all.

If it’s nothing they are they editing it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lyn Boylan just anxious to up her profile get her snout in the taxpayers pòca again.

Cullinane .....well..... has form in the stupidity arena.

Carry on.....

• Advertisement

If SF press officers are leaving out parts of a press conference I wouldn’t consider that a ‘nothing’ story at all.

If it’s nothing they are they editing it out?

I'm on about the whole MLMD #metoo being a nothing story.
    I don't think SF thought they could hide anything. Seems to me they were engaging in wishful thinking, believing they could edit to set the narrative.
    We've a Tanaiste tells bare faced lies. I'd be more concerned on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

SF Ireland Branch at every opportunity lambasting the government over special advisers....

SFUK branch in Stormount today opposing a bill thay would:

1) The Functioning of Government Bill aims to cut the number of advisers and put new rules in place.
    2)The bill also provides for Spads to be the subject of processes and procedures of the disciplinary code that operates in the civil service.
    3) Mr Allister's bill would also create a new criminal offence if advisers leak information or use unofficial emails to conduct government business.
    4) The bill also requires that the activities and meetings of ministers and special advisers be recorded within the civil service.

Now I dont see any reason to block any part of this bill, as Special Advisors are paid from the public purse.

One would think that maybe SF dont want meeting with their special advisers recorded ? I wonder why thay could be

piplip87 wrote: »
    SF Ireland Branch at every opportunity lambasting the government over special advisers....

1) The Functioning of Government Bill aims to cut the number of advisers and put new rules in place.
    2)The bill also provides for Spads to be the subject of processes and procedures of the disciplinary code that operates in the civil service.
    3) Mr Allister's bill would also create a new criminal offence if advisers leak information or use unofficial emails to conduct government business.
    4) The bill also requires that the activities and meetings of ministers and special advisers be recorded within the civil service.

Now I dont see any reason to block any part of this bill, as Special Advisors are paid from the public purse.

One would think that maybe SF dont want meeting with their special advisers recorded ? I wonder why thay could be

Planning a bank robbery :rolleyes:

How about wanting to keep policy ideas secret until they iron out the wrinkles? How about deciding who to put forward for election before having a record? etc. etc.

Would like to see the leak thing here TBH.

I'm on about the whole MLMD #metoo being a nothing story.
    I don't think SF thought they could hide anything. Seems to me they were engaging in wishful thinking, believing they could edit to set the narrative.
    We've a Tanaiste tells bare faced lies. I'd be more concerned on that.

I’d also concerned about a political party which is trying to get into government deleting segments of a press conference that they thought might be problematic.

It was such a foolish thing to do.

I’d also concerned about a political party which is trying to get into government deleting segments of a press conference that they thought might be problematic.

Yes. Hardly nefarious. It was a press conference. They tend to be recorded and reported.
    On that point, if you read the Indo article on MLMD/#metoo it reads like Bacik and Murphy came out with statements. More likely it was edited from a broader conversation also we don't know what kind of loaded questions were posed.

• Advertisement

Yes. Hardly nefarious. It was a press conference. They tend to be recorded and reported.

But with press conferences not all journalists can be there due to COVID, and are relying on the press officers to send the audio onto them.

That’s where it’s a problem.

But with press conferences not all journalists can be there due to COVID, and are relying on the press officers to send the audio onto them.

That’s where it’s a problem.

People create a press release edited to make them look good. That's how it works. Press releases are not note for note record.

People create a press release edited to make them look good. That's how it works. Press releases are not note for note record.

I’m not talking about press releases.

I’m talking about actual, on the record statements made by elected representatives.

They hoped none of the journalists would notice and that is wrong, no matter how much you want to downplay it.

I’m not talking about press releases.

I’m talking about actual, on the record statements made by elected representatives.

They hoped none of the journalists would notice and that is wrong, no matter how much you want to downplay it.

Not down playing it. Speaking on your reaction. It's commonplace. In fact it's a press officers job to edit such things.
    The idea they did this from a recorded press conference means it's easy to find what the left out anyway. I don't see a problem. Not saying they didn't do it. If they reversed any statement or included text that didn't happen, I'd see a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Planning a bank robbery :rolleyes:

How about wanting to keep policy ideas secret until they iron out the wrinkles? How about deciding who to put forward for election before having a record? etc. etc.

Would like to see the leak thing here TBH.

Both of those are corrupt uses of public money.

Special advisors are hired out of public money to advise on government business not to devise policy ideas for political parties or decide election candidates.

The latter is probably against SF rules as well.

Not under FF/FG it won't.

So the laws of economics stop working when FF/FG are in government?

I've heard it all now.

Not down playing it. Speaking on your reaction. It's commonplace. In fact it's a press officers job to edit such things.
    The idea they did this from a recorded press conference means it's easy to find what the left out anyway. I don't see a problem. Not saying they didn't do it. If they reversed any statement or included text that didn't happen, I'd see a problem.

It is absolutely not ‘commonplace’ to edit a press conference to send to journalists who couldn’t be there, whereby on-the-record remarks were made.

This wasn’t just a press conference between Cullinane, Boylan and the press officer. Members of the media were there. They heard them say it. They likely have recordings of them saying it. However, SF sent an edited version to journalists who weren’t there.

If you honestly can’t see the issue here, then any remark you make about the Tanaiste telling lies is redundant. This is completely dishonest of SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

What was deleted?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

EDIT: You know what, it's really not worth my time engaging with people below me Bowie.

jm08 wrote: »
    What was deleted?

Cullinane and Boylan defending Mary Lou’s comments on the Me Too stuff.

As I said before, her comments don’t particularly bother me, but deleting on the record remarks made to journalists is shady as f*ck

• Advertisement

piplip87 wrote: »

I don't think Sinn Fein are the only ones who have difficulty with the bill. So far there have been 81 amendments to it from all sources (its 15 pages). As for the number of SPADs. Most ministers have one each. The First Minister /Deputy First Minister have six. Ms Emma Little-Pengelly is on a nice little earner of £78,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmmm lot of anger here, someone must have lifted a very slimy slate.

Usually more light gets out of a black hole than anything detrimental to SF.

Cullinane and Boylan defending Mary Lou’s comments on the Me Too stuff.

As I said before, her comments don’t particularly bother me, but deleting on the record remarks made to journalists is shady as f*ck

Am I reading this right? Sinn Fein removed comments where Cullinane and Boylan defended Mary Lou? And some people have a problem with this?

A press conference isn't a court of law you know.

EDIT: You know what, it's really not worth my time engaging with people below me Bowie.

Below you is it sur? *doffs cap*

We were discussing why socially leaning parties might vote against new builds.
    Simply saying more builds helps lower pricing isn't how it's been working out. I get the theory and if the market was left to it's own devices it would be a logical conclusion. However we have FF/FG who will encourage rental companies to build/buy and rent to the tax payer, who will meet their asking prices. So they have not, as yet, seen the need to lower pricing.

Be more honest if you engaged rather than tried to be clever.

Also, as suggested, the idea that PBP/SF/SD etc. were doing so in a hypocritical manner because they don't really want to fix the housing crisis is a nonsense quite frankly.

jm08 wrote: »
    Am I reading this right? Sinn Fein removed comments where Cullinane and Boylan defended Mary Lou? And some people have a problem with this?

A press conference isn't a court of law you know.

No it’s not a court of law.

When some journalists can’t go to the press conference because of COVID, they rely on the parties to send unedited accounts of what was said.

SF chopped it out, and sent to journalists as if nothing was said, even though it is on the record.

This is completely dishonest. If you don’t see it, then don’t ever bitch and moan at government spin again.

No it’s not a court of law.

When some journalists can’t go to the press conference because of COVID, they rely on the parties to send unedited accounts of what was said.

SF chopped it out, and sent to journalists as if nothing was said, even though it is on the record.

This is completely dishonest. If you don’t see it, then don’t ever bitch and moan at government spin again.

Press releases are biased. This is a press officers job.
    Unless SF completely told lies there is no issue here at all.
    And yes, it is spin. This does not mean we can't critique it. Personally I'll take a parties stance on something with a pinch of salt but their reasoning might often be different than publicised.
    This is similar to unelected SF members guiding party policy, which every single party also engages in. Common place.

No good journalist takes a press release as the full story. They'll take it as a statement from a biased source.

Below you is it sur? *doffs cap*

We were discussing why socially leaning parties might vote against new builds.
    Simply saying more builds helps lower pricing isn't how it's been working out. I get the theory and if the market was left to it's own devices it would be a logical conclusion. However we have FF/FG who will encourage rental companies to build/buy and rent to the tax payer, who will meet their asking prices. So they have not, as yet, seen the need to lower pricing.

Be more honest if you engaged rather than tried to be clever.

Also, as suggested, the idea that PBP/SF/SD etc. were doing so in a hypocritical manner because they don't really want to fix the housing crisis is a nonsense quite frankly.

You were about to explain to us how the laws of economics don't work just because FF and FG are in government, you might finish that for our amusement.

As for PBP/I4C/SF (who mentioned SDs in this context) not wanting the housing crisis fixed at local level in case their political opponents at national level get credit, there is nothing nonsensical about it at all. It is the same sort of slimy behaviour that sees the transcripts of press conferences edited.

It is absolutely not ‘commonplace’ to edit a press conference to send to journalists who couldn’t be there, whereby on-the-record remarks were made.

This wasn’t just a press conference between Cullinane, Boylan and the press officer. Members of the media were there. They heard them say it. They likely have recordings of them saying it. However, SF sent an edited version to journalists who weren’t there.

If you honestly can’t see the issue here, then any remark you make about the Tanaiste telling lies is redundant. This is completely dishonest of SF.

I don't understand the fuss over this. SF routinely lie, that is known.

Press releases are biased. This is a press officers job.
    Unless SF completely told lies there is no issue here at all.
    And yes, it is spin. This does not mean we can't critique it. Personally I'll take a parties stance on something with a pinch of salt but their reasoning might often be different than publicised.
    This is similar to unelected SF members guiding party policy, which every single party also engages in. Common place.

No good journalist takes a press release as the full story. They'll take it as a statement from a biased source.

For f*ck’s sake.

This wasn’t a f*cking press release.

This was a fully fledged press conference, in front of journalists, and these statements were made on the record.

The tried to bury comments that were made on the record. That is shady as f*ck.

Jesus there’s no talking to Shinners at all. Everything is fine if they’re at it but nobody else can do it.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    You were about to explain to us how the laws of economics don't work just because FF and FG are in government, you might finish that for our amusement.

As for PBP/I4C/SF (who mentioned SDs in this context) not wanting the housing crisis fixed at local level in case their political opponents at national level get credit, there is nothing nonsensical about it at all. It is the same sort of slimy behaviour that sees the transcripts of press conferences edited.

Some people either cannot or pretend they cannot comprehend the very basics.

Again, (x3) can you clarify;
    More build to rent apartments where the tax payer subsidises the rent or pays the rent will help the housing crisis/tax payer how exactly?

Why would these private rental companies lower pricing exactly?

Ah, a made up conspiracy theory with zero facts to back it up. Sounds legit ;)
    It's not like councilors need be elected or anything...

Covid times aside, can you tell me why FF/FG persist on housing policy despite it getting year on year record breakingly worse? To fix the crises?
    My conspiracy theory is that they want to make money for private concerns regardless of the cost to the tax payer. I based this on many years of private rental companies becoming enriched as the crises worsened at a loss to the tax payer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement