Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

why are you cursing?

He seems to be frustrated and giving the benefit of the doubt, unaware all parties and private companies etc. engage in same. It is spin of course and should be questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Bowie wrote: »
    Some people either cannot or pretend they cannot comprehend the very basics.

Again, (x3) can you clarify;

Ah, a made up conspiracy theory with zero facts to back it up. Sounds legit ;)
    It's not like councilors need be elected or anything...

Covid times aside, can you tell me why FF/FG persist on housing policy despite it getting year on year record breakingly worse? To fix the crises?
    My conspiracy theory is that they want to make money for private concerns regardless of the cost to the tax payer. I based this on many years of private rental companies becoming enriched as the crises worsened at a loss to the tax payer.

Most FFG councillors are bought and paid for, some probably have tattoos saying property of #######

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Some people either cannot or pretend they cannot comprehend the very basics.

Again, (x3) can you clarify;

Ah, a made up conspiracy theory with zero facts to back it up. Sounds legit ;)
    It's not like councilors need be elected or anything...

Covid times aside, can you tell me why FF/FG persist on housing policy despite it getting year on year record breakingly worse? To fix the crises?
    My conspiracy theory is that they want to make money for private concerns regardless of the cost to the tax payer. I based this on many years of private rental companies becoming enriched as the crises worsened at a loss to the tax payer.

Go back over my posts, I explained it clearly in terms of the laws of economics.

Your response was that the laws of economics don't apply under FF/FG. I am still interested in a longer explanation.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Go back over my posts, I explained it clearly in terms of the laws of economics.

Your response was that the laws of economics don't apply under FF/FG. I am still interested in a longer explanation.

No you didn't. You claimed, "increasing supply at a rate greater than increasing demand ensures that the market price drops." What has that got to do with Councilors voting down not fit for purpose rental builds?

FF/FG interference in the market often puts the individual citizen at a disadvantage.
    More build to rent apartments where the tax payer subsidises the rent or pays the rent will help the housing crisis/tax payer how exactly?

Why would these private rental companies lower pricing exactly?

If you can't or won't answer, fair enough.

No you didn't. You claimed, "increasing supply at a rate greater than increasing demand ensures that the market price drops." What has that got to do with Councilors voting down not fit for purpose rental builds?

Increasing supply at a rate greater than increasing demand ensures that the market price drops, however, if Councillors vote to restrict supply, as the SF/I4C councillors have done, the market price won't drop. That is how economics works.

Now, explain to us again, why those economic rules don't apply during periods of FF/FG governments? It is really interesting.

• Advertisement

Dont know how anyone on €5-600 a week could have any kind of life living in Dublin, they are pricing themselves into a position where businesses will either have to close or relocate to somewhere they can get staff,

Increasing supply at a rate greater than increasing demand ensures that the market price drops, however, if Councillors vote to restrict supply, as the SF/I4C councillors have done, the market price won't drop. That is how economics works.

Now, explain to us again, why those economic rules don't apply during periods of FF/FG governments? It is really interesting.

Can you show us how that has worked in Ireland thus far?
    Have we had year on year worsening crises because;

a) we didn't build enough private rentals.

b) the tax payer subsidising high rents means they don't need lower them.

More build to rent apartments where the tax payer subsidises the rent or pays the rent will help the housing crisis/tax payer how exactly?

I've done so repeatedly. If you attempted to answer the above questions the penny might drop for you.

If private rental companies can charge what they like, and get it, they have no reason to lower rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Most FFG councillors are bought and paid for, some probably have tattoos saying property of #######

This is so, unfortunately. And add SF to that. The problems, the area/s (except their very own), the people; means almost nothing to them. Many of them see the E'000 and reckon that will be just fine for four years.
    Makes a person wonder would it be best to just blank out the Number of the Vote and an X over the list.

This is so, unfortunately. And add SF to that. The problems, the area/s (except their very own), the people; means almost nothing to them. Many of them see the E'000 and reckon that will be just fine for four years.
    Makes a person wonder would it be best to just blank out the Number of the Vote and an X over the list.

We know the 'inappropriate behaviour' of FF/FG. It's possible others might be same or worse, however we are guaranteed such with FF/FG.

Edit:
    This might be why socially conscious parties are not signing off on some builds.
    The State will be left with a bill of more than €15 million for the reconstruction of Priory Hall, the notorious firetrap apartment complex in north Dublin, according to new figures from Dublin City Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I've done so repeatedly. If you attempted to answer the above questions the penny might drop for you.

If private rental companies can charge what they like, and get it, they have no reason to lower rents.
    Here, knock yourself out:

https://www.tcd.ie/Economics/assets/pdf/MScEPS/Irisheconomy/Ronan%20Lyons%20-%20Chapter%20on%20Housing%20-%20Economy%20of%20Ireland.pdf

https://www.centralbank.ie/docs/default-source/publications/research-technical-papers/research-technical-paper-08rt12.pdf?sfvrsn=8

http://files.nesc.ie/nesc_background_papers/NESC_112_bg_3.pdf

https://www.esri.ie/system/files?file=media/file-uploads/2017-11/QEC2017WIN_SA_McQuinn.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

[QUOTE=Bowie;11597661Quote:
    The State will be left with a bill of more than €15 million for the reconstruction of Priory Hall, the notorious firetrap apartment complex in north Dublin, according to new figures from Dublin City Council.8]
    Edit:
    This might be why socially conscious parties are not signing off on some builds.

[/QUOTE]

Who was the developer who built Priory Hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yes, yes, I know, Jimmy Saville was an innocent man, according to your philosophy.

What annoys me is that Francie only extends this basic human right to Sinn Fein and other republicans. He believes he is free to say "FG councillors caught red handed taking money for planning favours, numerous cases of planning abuses in the history of the state etc etc etc" and blacken the names of loads of people as a result.

I mean if I was to say that the IRA were responsible for the sexual abuse of Mairia Cahill and Paudie McGahon and that SF turned a blind eye to it, Francie would be first to jump up and down about courts of law etc. etc.

Those are his and your standards, and when you fail to live up to them, it is breathtaking hypocrisy. I apply different realistic standards, assessing the evidence and reaching reasonable conclusions.

Jimmy Savile is an innocent man, Gerry Adams was never in the IRA but Leo is corrupt and people working in the Irish Times are on the FG payroll.

Am I doing this right from the SF point of view? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Are we back to the discussion where Matt goes on about building houses like its a South Park episode?

That has been done to death at this stage and no, the basic economic laws still haven't changed!! :)

I can answer the first question quite simply. It hasn't worked in Ireland so far because as the statement clearly sets out you have to increase supply. Political parties such as SF and I4C who block the increases in supply prevent the resultant decrease in market rents.

It is simple economics.

It is also nefarious politicking. Block the increases in supply at local level and you can ensure that rents stay high and you can blame the government.

You can bluster all you like but you can't avoid the simple truths I have set out.

markodaly wrote: »
    Jimmy Savile is an innocent man, Gerry Adams was never in the IRA but Leo is corrupt and people working in the Irish Times are on the FG payroll.

Am I doing this right from the SF point of view? :D:D

Absolutely, that is the way of the world.

atticu wrote: »

He was a good republican.

atticu wrote: »

There were lots of Priory halls , there was also a flooded hospital thanks to Celtiic tiger building practices, Hasnt the beloved Dinny not been pulled up for shoddy workmanship on the new Childrens Hospital, Cowboy building is rarely political but always greed based

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There were lots of Priory halls , there was also a flooded hospital thanks to Celtiic tiger building practices, Hasnt the beloved Dinny not been pulled up for shoddy workmanship on the new Childrens Hospital, Cowboy building is rarely political but always greed based

What shoddy workmanship on the children's hospital?

Do none of ye on either side not get sick of the whataboutery, plus the social media behavior of one side in this is damaging support for them somewhat yet it still persists.

mariaalice wrote: »
    What shoddy workmanship on the children's hospital?

Do none of ye on either side not get sick of the whataboutery, plus the social media behavior of one side in this is damaging support for them somewhat yet it still persists.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/engineering-firm-denies-performance-on-childrens-hospital-was-not-up-to-standard-37834016.html

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

I have to say I'm a bit surprised and hopefully this is the beginning of me being wrong about them!

I just read an article saying that sinn fein are backing the British army's help in dealing with covid.

A nice step to end the polarisation up North, it gives me hope it continues.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0120/1191003-northern-ireland-covid-19/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Triangle wrote: »
    I have to say I'm a bit surprised and hopefully this is the beginning of me being wrong about them!

I just read an article saying that sinn fein are backing the British army's help in dealing with covid.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0120/1191003-northern-ireland-covid-19/

It is good to see.

I doubt it would happen in any other circumstances though.

I am not getting into this but it's not a shoddy project, the work is checked within an inch of its life as it should be.

A few posters here could give the worst intransigent unionists a run for their money and that's saying something.

SF will get their turn but what their supporters here don't seem to understand is because of this they don't have the luxury of being like Paul Murphy or Richard Boyde Barret who will never be in government they can sprouting semi-nonsense to their heart's content.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,883 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

SF will get their turn but what their supporters here don't seem to understand is because of this they don't have the luxury of being Paul Murphy or Richard Boyde Barret sprouting semi-nonsense knowing they will never be in government.
    'because of' what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

SF will get their turn but what their supporters here don't seem to understand is because of this they don't have the luxury of being Paul Murphy or Richard Boyde Barret sprouting semi-nonsense knowing they will never be in government.

Are you trying to say that there is no difference between People Before Profit and Sinn Fein?

Triangle wrote: »

No surprise, she said SF had no issue with it back last year.

jm08 wrote: »
    Are you trying to say that there is no difference between People Before Profit and Sinn Fein?

PBP are full Citizen Smith, SF would be 90s FF

'because of' what?

They can't have too many hostages to fortune i.e we can solve homelessness and that is just one issue they will be savaged.

They can't have too many hostages to fortune i.e we can solve homelessness and that is just one issue they will be savaged.

Where have they said they 'can solve homelessness'?

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »

Richard Boyde Barret and Paul Murphy will never be in government so they can say what they like knowing they will never be challenged, SF will most likely get their turn in government, there are no guarantees though, because of that every hostage to fortune, every grandiose promise. every nonsensical pronunciation they have ever made will be pounced on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement