Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Bowie wrote: »
    Not in the council I know they don't.That's a fact. I've nothing to gain either way.
    And no the topic was building houses. If the council build houses they are not going to be using in house staff. Do you believe council employees have ever built a house?
    You are making up road blocks here. We could say no as they'd own the land in some circumstances.

You just made up 'on the cheap'. Never said such a thing.
    Building is cheaper than buying especially in large numbers. You've been shown this.
    Just because FF/FG want to line the pockets of cronies doesn't make it a good deal for the tax payer.

Council used to tender out to small builders,then the boom happened and small builders weren't interested in council work, then the bust, in Australia or working in call centres now

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    Not in the council I know they don't.That's a fact. I've nothing to gain either way.
    And no the topic was building houses. If the council build houses they are not going to be using in house staff. Do you believe council employees have ever built a house?
    You are making up road blocks here. We could say no as they'd own the land in some circumstances.

You just made up 'on the cheap'. Never said such a thing.
    Building is cheaper than buying especially in large numbers. You've been shown this.
    Just because FF/FG want to line the pockets of cronies doesn't make it a good deal for the tax payer.

Again, let me explain this to you simply.

Councils employ tradespeople including plumbers, electricians etc. They have permanent jobs and excellent rates of pay. They also have Union agreements that they can’t be undercut by contracting out.

These are facts, you can’t walk away from them. As a Journal article says, these facts mean that it is not possible to say whether Councils can build houses cheaper than developers, and it may cost more.

They are inconvenient facts to your mantra of Councils building houses. Sorry to burst that bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

blanch152 wrote: »

Councils employ tradespeople including plumbers, electricians etc. They have permanent jobs and excellent rates of pay. They also have Union agreements that they can’t be undercut by contracting out.

These are facts, you can’t walk away from them. As a Journal article says, these facts mean that it is not possible to say whether Councils can build houses cheaper than developers, and it may cost more.

They are inconvenient facts to your mantra of Councils building houses. Sorry to burst that bubble.

Hi Blanch, I hear you're a supporter of a party who abstain from votes, in unison with the Shinners now.

I'm just wondering, do we all have to be "anti EU" now, and what's the story with party's (FF) that voted with the EU as a whole against us?

It's just the farm takes up most of my time during the day, and at night I just like a nice cup of tay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Nice to see SFs Chris McManus standing up for our country in the EU

Just not enough to vote against the Europeans trying to label our country a tax haven..

Walshb, you seem to have gone fierce quiet since it was pointed out that the greens (who are in govt) also "failed to stand up for our country" by abstaining also, with the Shinners.

And an FF MEP (also in govt) (Barry Andrews) actually voted in agreement with the EU - another fella who didn't stand up for us lol.

I can't help wonder why you only mentioned Sinn Fein in that post, you wouldn't have been hoping no-one called you out on it were you, or did you stop reading when you read the headline?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Bureaucracy/red tape and unions do more harm to the civil service than anything else. The council down here in Kerry cant turn on a tap without consulting 10 different people and then when they want to turn it off they have to consult another 10 different people again. Sometimes I even think they are politically motivated people tossing spanners in the works on purpose in order to make things look bad for others.

Dan.

Bureaucracy/red tape and unions do more harm to the civil service than anything else. The council down here in Kerry cant turn on a tap without consulting 10 different people and then when they want to turn it off they have to consult another 10 different people again. Sometimes I even think they are politically motivated people tossing spanners in the works on purpose in order to make things look bad for others.

IW look after water now, not the councils.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You are not wrong.

This is exactly why in the real world, councils can't be entrusted with building houses.

Our local authorities are full of old-school demarcation union agreements and blockages with huge inefficiencies. The list of things taken off them from motor tax, driving licences, business water charges, water infrastructure, road building etc. over the last 40 years or so is testament to their huge inefficiency.

To be fair, a lot of it is down to the structure of too many local authorities in a country this size, but the county boundary thing is strange in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

blanch152 wrote: »

But it might only be 'a plumber' 'a electrician' at every Council. This just may give an indication as to what the/a Council may be responsible for.
    Also, in some weird way the Council (with their Unions) may themselves incline to proselytise on what it is that they think the wage rates for trades-people should be.

When a Council renovates they do employ in private electricians and plumbers and I am fairly sure, private renovation people. At the public roundabout, a plumber I queried, was from a firm based c.40 miles away.

I read, that in 1940s,1950s, that private builders were contracted to build council housing. (Some of these firms had built private housing, bigger housing, prior to building for a Council; and these firms used a somewhat similar design for Council housing).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

All Island strategy. Ffs
    You'll never get the DUP to agree to it, so just drop it SF

Its trotted out more often than Norma Foley's the 'schools are safe' manta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Just reading tonight the death notice of Martin Kenny father Vincent.
    A staunch republican.
    Not a close friend but we knew each other well.
    Rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Mary Lou loving the quarantine train.

If FF/FG/Greens were more enthusiastic about mandatory quarantine Mary Lou would be dead against it shouting about human rights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

If FF/FG/Greens were more enthusiastic about mandatory quarantine Mary Lou would be dead against it shouting about human rights etc.

An increase in unemployment is an increase in her voter base.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,880 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

How do you characterise the reluctance of FF FG GR's to support the calls for an island wide strategy?
    The complete lack of contact or co-operation with those in the north? Is it because SF are 'enthusiastic' about it and they cannot stomach, like children, or politically risk supporting something the Shinners want? Because their reluctance here and downright callousness reeks of nothing else.

Chaotic callous government that cares more about political oneupmanship and survival than the health of the island. Unless I'm missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

How do you characterise the reluctance of FF FG GR's to support the calls for an island wide strategy?
    The complete lack of contact or co-operation with those in the north? Is it because SF are 'enthusiastic' about it and they cannot stomach, like children, or politically risk supporting something the Shinners want? Because their reluctance here and downright callousness reeks of nothing else.

Chaotic callous government that cares more about political oneupmanship and survival than the health of the island. Unless I'm missing something.

I think you are correct. Sinn Fein are terrible also, albeit for different reasons.

There is no political party in Ireland I would feel happy to support at the minute.

Just to be clear, I'm far from a fan of FF FG Greens, I think they are handling it abysmally. Maybe they just know that Foster up North won't work with them on it.
    But I was still disgusted by Mary Lou on Morning Ireland, she'll grab anything and everything, pure populist.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,880 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Just to be clear, I'm far from a fan of FF FG Greens, I think they are handling it abysmally. Maybe they just know that Foster up North won't work with them on it.
    But I was still disgusted by Mary Lou on Morning Ireland, she'll grab anything and everything, pure populist.

I listened to Morning Ireland too and the threat to the people of this island did not come from Mary Lou but Jeffery Donaldson.
    It is time that the government of THIS country put IT'S people first and call out those who are a bona fide threat to the island. Then they can worry about opposition criticism.

They won't call for an island wide strategy, because "they know Arlene Foster won't work with them on it":confused:

Like is that a serious reply? We're in the midst of one of the most serious health pandemics in living memory, with a highly contagious virus ravaging our citizens, and our govt probably just haven't bothered their barneys consulting with the UK or northern executive on the possibilities of exploring an island wide strategy, just because the DUP will prob say no?

Mustn't upset our creationist overlords.

Michaél, Leo or Eamon should be negotiating with the Tory government already and discuss the mutual benefits to both nations health, to introduce a ban on all Britain-ireland travel, by sea or by air for all but essential travel. If that means stopping flights and having strict checks on ferry's etc, so be it.

I can't see why the DUP can't be bypassed anyway if they emerge as an obstacle, it's not like the Brits don't have form in that regard.

But suggesting they have not already explored the possibility of getting an island wide strategy underway, just because the DUP might say no, is ridiculously stupid, not to mention pathetically cowardice if it is indeed their reason.

• Advertisement

She asked for an all island approach. What's wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Fann Linn wrote: »
    She asked for an all island approach. What's wrong with that?

What would an all-island approach entail?

McMurphy wrote: »
    They won't call for an island wide strategy, because "they know Arlene Foster won't work with them on it":confused:

Like is that a serious reply? We're in the midst of one of the most serious health pandemics in living memory, with a highly contagious virus ravaging our citizens, and our govt probably just haven't bothered their barneys consulting with the UK or northern executive on the possibilities of exploring an island wide strategy, just because the DUP will prob say no?

Mustn't upset our creationist overlords.

Michaél, Leo or Eamon should be negotiating with the Tory government already and discuss the mutual benefits to both nations health, to introduce a ban on all Britain-ireland travel, by sea or by air for all but essential travel. If that means stopping flights and having strict checks on ferry's etc, so be it.

I can't see why the DUP can't be bypassed anyway if they emerge as an obstacle, it's not like the Brits don't have form in that regard.

But suggesting they have not already explored the possibility of getting an island wide strategy underway, just because the DUP might say no, is ridiculously stupid, not to mention pathetically cowardice if it is indeed their reason.

Calm yourself there McMurphy, I don't have any bloody answers, I'm just another regular nobody sharing my thoughts.
    I haven't a clue what the government are doing and no need to go on a mad rant because I shared a random opinion of "Maybe they know Arlene Foster won't work with them on it".
    I AGREE they are making a balls of everything. I agree they need to work with the north.

I only came on here because I don't like Mary Lou and think she flip flops on everything, and I think she would have been shouting about our "freedom" if those in charge had tried this months ago.

An all island approach to tackling the virus.

North-South restrictions are the same, at the same time. IE no lifting restrictions here, meaning lads from Newry nip over this side for a haircut or pint because the norths locked down, and vise versa, so no-one from Donegal might nip over to Derry for same if restrictions are lifted north of the border while still in place here.

Island of Ireland travel restrictions for all but essential travel from and to Britain, north and south. Similar international travel restrictions for flights and ferry's north/south.

The two island approach is nonsense, and would to the square root of nothing to protect us from the UK, and vise versa, and should be treated like the bolloxology it is.

The Tory's could go over the DUPers heads if they become their usual pedantic problematic selves.

The fact they haven't even discussed or explored the possibility of making this a reality with their British counterparts is a disgrace.

She explained it this morning;
    Locator forms correctly filled out and followed up on.
    PSNI and Gardai actively stopping all non essential cross border traffic.
    Quarantine and PCR testing

Didn't catch the rest.

Calm yourself there McMurphy, I don't have any bloody answers, I'm just another regular nobody sharing my thoughts.
    I haven't a clue what the government are doing and no need to go on a mad rant because I shared a random opinion of "Maybe they know Arlene Foster won't work with them on it".
    I AGREE they are making a balls of everything. I agree they need to work with the north.

I only came on here because I don't like Mary Lou and think she flip flops on everything, and I think she would have been shouting about our "freedom" if those in charge had tried this months ago.

I like how you at least admit to not having a scaldy balls notion on what to do, but want to dismiss the most bleedin obvious and sensible and necessary suggestion, because - "you don't like who suggested it"

You're honest, I'll at least give you that.

McMurphy wrote: »
    I like how you at least admit to not having a scaldy balls notion on what to do, but want to dismiss the most bleedin obvious and sensible and necessary suggestion, because - "you don't like who suggested it"

You're honest, I'll at least give you that.

Of course I haven't a notion, sure I'm not in politics. But Mary Lou is the ultimate spoofer.

If the government try to come to an agreement on an all-Ireland approach and it's refused up North then I say close the border. We can watch Mary Lou explode then. Would be fun to watch.

Of course I haven't a notion, sure I'm not in politics. But Mary Lou is the ultimate spoofer.

If the government try to come to an agreement on an all-Ireland approach and it's refused up North then I say close the border. We can watch Mary Lou explode then. Would be fun to watch.

The govt won't close the border.

So long as it is not a partitionist quarantine I take it? Or has she become one overnight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

From what I recall hearing last week, the Northern Assembly doesn't have the competence to support an all island approach. British Gov. have that competence and as we all know, they don't care what happens on the island of Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement