Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Political party introduce Bill in the Dáil shocker.

Is it a good bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,878 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is it a good bill?

Thought you had read it, you pronounced judgement on it anyhow. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

The purpose of the Bill is to ensure that employers could no longer discriminate against a job applicant or current employee because of where they were brought up or how they speak and the lingo they use.

God above. If this nonsense carries on, soon you wont be able to choose someone for a job at all. Accent and language usage are one of the most important assessments used in interviews. What is it next, an independent body to draw applicant CVs at random for you ?

God above. If this nonsense carries on, soon you wont be able to choose someone for a job at all. Accent and language usage are one of the most important assessments used in interviews. What is it next, an independent body to draw applicant CVs at random for you ?

Next they will be able to show up unwashed, dirty clothes etc and it will be discrimination if they don't get the job.

Next they will be able to show up unwashed, dirty clothes etc and it will be discrimination if they don't get the job.

Bit of Daily Mail sensationalism ^ there. I haven't read the Bill but I could garuntee it is to protect people otherwise qualified who are discriminated against because of where they come from. Unacceptable to me as a democrat anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Bit of Daily Mail sensationalism ^ there. I haven't read the Bill but I could garuntee it is to protect people otherwise qualified who are discriminated against because of where they come from. Unacceptable to me as a democrat anyhow.

I use to use my aunt's address when I was starting out. Don't see how they can police that TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

If someone doesn't hire you because if your accent, you're better off not working there anyway.

Can't help but think this is virtue signalling though, in my line of work (a professional office based line) being well presented, knowledgeable and personable are what determines your hire, I have never experienced accent coming into it (especially in terms of I wouldn't hire him because he sounds like a guerrier etc).

If someone doesn't hire you because if your accent, you're better off not working there anyway.

Can't help but think this is virtue signalling though, in my line of work (a professional office based line) being well presented, knowledgeable and personable are what determines your hire, I have never experienced accent coming into it (especially in terms of I wouldn't hire him because he sounds like a guerrier etc).

So, 'I'm alright Jack', nothing to see here.

I use to use my aunt's address when I was starting out. Don't see how they can police that TBH.

I would imagine it more designed to prevent racism than protecting someone with a Kerry or Cork or Dublin accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Like where do you draw the line? What is in this bill that the law doesn't already cover?

It's a hot air publicity stunt.

Why don't they bring in a bill to do some actual good beyond these tired political stunts?

• Advertisement

Bit harsh??

The legislation is likely aimed at younger people not being discriminated due to background,when they starting off... we all know someone who had to use a relatives address on their cv to make it past screening

You cant discrimate againest someone for being a traveller(and rightly so),it stands to logic you shouldnt be allowed to discrimate againest someone over where they are from??

I'm fully in agreement with that Blaaz, in case wires have been crossed.

Like where do you draw the line? What is in this bill that the law doesn't already cover?

It's a hot air publicity stunt.

Why don't they bring in a bill to do some actual good beyond these tired political stunts?

Well, I'd have known nothing about it until you guys started ranting about it. :) Bills are presented all the time.

Bit harsh??

The legislation is likely aimed at younger people not being discriminated due to background,when they starting off... we all know someone who had to use a relatives address on their cv to make it past screening

You cant discrimate againest someone for being a traveller(and rightly so),it stands to logic you shouldnt be allowed to discrimate againest someone over where they are from??

I don't know anyone who used a different address for a CV so that statement is incorrect. In fact this is the first time I ever heard about people using dummy address's for a CV.

I don't know anyone who used a different address for a CV so that statement is incorrect. In fact this is the first time I ever heard about people using dummy address's for a CV.

Its very common. Depends on where you come from i'd imagine.
    I don't know anyone tap dances, but I'm sure it happens.

It's some country we have made. People losing themselves in righteous indignation over some people getting too close to one another at a funeral and our Minister For Transport pretending on live TV that he is unaware of daily flights into and out of Lanzarote/Dublin a full year into the pandemic and there won't be a peep out of the same crew.

Its very common. Depends on where you come from i'd imagine.
    I don't know anyone tap dances, but I'm sure it happens.

I don't think it very common. Not common at all.
    Huge parts of all cities now are rental so what does an address mean? are you saying I could grow up in inner city Dublin(which is what the article refers to), then rent a property in Bray as an example, go to interview and everyone would think I came from Bray?

It's some country we have made. People losing themselves in righteous indignation over some people getting too close to one another at a funeral and our Minister For Transport pretending on live TV that he is unaware of daily flights into and out of Lanzorote/Dublin a full year into the pandemic and there won't be a peep out of the same crew.

I think you posted that now wrong thread

Huge parts of all cities now are rental so what does an address mean? are you saying I could grow up in inner city Dublin(which is what the article refers to), then rent a property in Bray as an example, go to interview and everyone would think I came from Bray?

You never heard of it, but yet YOU KNOW it's not common. :)

I think you posted that now wrong thread

Why's that? Is this not the thread where people got righeous about funerals?

That's fine.

No. Obviously the point is if you come from and currently reside in an area with a bad reputation you might use a different address. I've done it and I know folk who have.
    You might not know anyone who has and that's grand but I don't understand why you are arguing against it ever happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,930 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

In reality, there is nothing to see here.

I have gone to the Oireachtas website to see the Bill for myself, and there is nothing there, not a thing.

I was looking to see whether this was a publicity stunt like Gino's Assisted Suicide Bill or whether there was a genuine effort to introduce a Bill.

I found exactly nothing.

Now maybe somebody from Sinn Fein can direct me to where the details of this Bill are but I am thinking this is just a publicity stunt.

blanch152 wrote: »
    In reality, there is nothing to see here.

I have gone to the Oireachtas website to see the Bill for myself, and there is nothing there, not a thing.

I was looking to see whether this was a publicity stunt like Gino's Assisted Suicide Bill or whether there was a genuine effort to introduce a Bill.

I found exactly nothing.

Now maybe somebody from Sinn Fein can direct me to where the details of this Bill are but I am thinking this is just a publicity stunt.

This is the first I heard of it.
    piplip87 wrote: »
    In the middle of a global pandemic, SF are taking on the big issue of accent discrimination.

How in the name of God do you enforce it?

Maybe Piplip87 can enlighten us?

If it's about accents or where you're from I can't see how it might be policed.

This is the first I heard of it.

Maybe Piplip87 can enlighten us?

If it's about accents or where you're from I can't see how it might be policed.

There are quite a number of posters on here defending the legislation. Surely they aren't just defending something that they haven't seen and know nothing about?

Maybe there is no such bill, it is all made up, and they will look like fools for defending it. If they can't produce it, I say it doesn't exist, and it is no more than hot air.

There are quite a number of posters on here defending the legislation. Surely they aren't just defending something that they haven't seen and know nothing about?

Maybe there is no such bill, it is all made up, and they will look like fools for defending it. If they can't produce it, I say it doesn't exist, and it is no more than hot air.

Who defended it...I quite clearly said I hadn't read it and that I wasn't aware of it until the poster made their post.

I read people discussing the idea and what form it might take.
    If there is no bill it wouldn't make anyone look foolish be they for or against the it IMO.

Real or not likely used as another distraction on behalf of FF/FG.

I read people discussing the idea and what form it might take.
    If there is no bill it wouldn't make anyone look foolish be they for or against the it IMO.

Real or not likely used as another distraction on behalf of FF/FG.

There may be a bill, there may not.

I just find it amusing that people are defending it without having seen it.

Who defended 'the Bill'? Second time of asking?

I think it's a good idea to protect people from discrimination.

What thread was this happening on? People discussed the idea.
    I think it would be good, (it does exist turns out) but impossible to police.
    I know from personal experience that accent plays a part in the working environment. I've heard directors make light of how you get the real story when you meet the 'mammy' etc. due to people changing their accent to avoid discrimination. Again don't know how practical such a thing would be.

• Advertisement

What thread was this happening on? People discussed the idea.
    I think it would be good, (it does exist turns out) but impossible to police.
    I know from personal experience that accent plays a part in the working environment. I've heard directors make light of how you get the real story when you meet the 'mammy' etc. due to people changing their accent to avoid discrimination. Again don't know how practical such a thing would be.

I find it very difficult to see how it would work, whether or not it is a good idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement