Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,878 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What thread was this happening on? People discussed the idea.
    I think it would be good, (it does exist turns out) but impossible to police.
    I know from personal experience that accent plays a part in the working environment. I've heard directors make light of how you get the real story when you meet the 'mammy' etc. due to people changing their accent to avoid discrimination. Again don't know how practical such a thing would be.

I would imagine that having it in legislation would work as a deterrent like a lot of discrimination legislation, it is difficult to prove but the fact it is there helps to eradicate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,930 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I would imagine that having it in legislation would work as a deterrent like a lot of discrimination legislation, it is difficult to prove but the fact it is there helps to eradicate it.

Explain to me, using your vast understanding and knowledge of legislation, how to define "accent" in a piece of legislation?

Explain to me how a requirement to speak clearly and consistently in say, a sales job, constitutes a discriminatory requirement? Would the legislation account for that exception?

To me, this looks like Chris Andrews was out on the beer last Saturday night and met some local Sinn Feiners and had a brainfart about legislation to outlaw discrimination against accents.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Explain to me, using your vast understanding and knowledge of legislation, how to define "accent" in a piece of legislation?

Explain to me how a requirement to speak clearly and consistently in say, a sales job, constitutes a discriminatory requirement? Would the legislation account for that exception?

To me, this looks like Chris Andrews was out on the beer last Saturday night and met some local Sinn Feiners and had a brainfart about legislation to outlaw discrimination against accents.

Can you show me in the Bill where it talks about 'accent'?

I was talking about being discriminated against because of where you live/come from.

Can you show me in the Bill where it talks about 'accent'?

I was talking about being discriminated against because of where you live/come from.
    I would imagine it more designed to prevent racism than protecting someone with a Kerry or Cork or Dublin accent.

Which is it? Where you come from? Racism? Accent? Can you imagine it as something different?

What Bill? No sign of it anywhere online, just SF heads promising to do something sometime.

I don't know how you imagine it is something to do with racism, when we have high protection from racism already.

This is exactly what I speak of, you haven't seen the Bill, yet here you are imagining what it is about and challenging others on what they say.

Which is it? Where you come from? Racism? Accent? Can you imagine it as something different?

What Bill? No sign of it anywhere online, just SF heads promising to do something sometime.

I don't know how you imagine it is something to do with racism, when we have high protection from racism already.

This is exactly what I speak of, you haven't seen the Bill, yet here you are imagining what it is about and challenging others on what they say.

I said what I presumed it was about in my 3rd post on the subject. Review the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

So in a Dail debate on housng the opposition spokesperson for Housing, Sinn Fein's Eoin O'Brion left the Dail to have a chat on RTE Radio.....

So much for holding the government to account and more about getting your soundbites out on the airwaves.

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1354850905334706177

https://twitter.com/DarraghOBrienTD/status/1354852687796383747

As an aside, did anyone here David 'Up da Ra' Cullinane earlier? God awful performance. It seems he doesn't realise that we do not make or produce the vaccines here in Ireland, nor have we much control over production issues.... wont stop him roaring about it in the Dail though.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Legislating against discrimination based on class, where you come from, or accent (if feasible) seems in principle a good idea.

Mind you, I'd make an exception for middle class people from Rathgar who try, with painful results, to sound like Northsiders .

markodaly wrote: »
    So in a Dail debate on housng the opposition spokesperson for Housing, Sinn Fein's Eoin O'Brion left the Dail to have a chat on RTE Radio.....

So much for holding the government to account and more about getting your soundbites out on the airwaves.

As an aside, did anyone here David 'Up da Ra' Cullinane earlier? God awful performance. It seems he doesn't realise that we do not make or produce the vaccines here in Ireland, nor have we much control over production issues.... wont stop him roaring about it in the Dail though.

Did you hear when Leo got asked about housing here, he went on a diatribe about the Shinners in the North. :)

Did you hear when Leo got asked about housing here, he went on a diatribe about the Shinners in the North. :)

Care to comment on what happened today?

Care to comment on what happened today?

Leo was asked a question about here, didn't want to answer and in the timeless tradition of Enda, ranted about SF in the north for a while. It was embarrassing tbh.

• Advertisement

Leo was asked a question about here, didn't want to answer and in the timeless tradition of Enda, ranted about SF in the north for a while. It was embarrassing tbh.

So, it all comes back to Leo at the end of the day.
    Fascinating stuff.

You know one day, Leo will retire or move on from politics, people will need to find another scapegoat when that happens.

So, it all comes back to Leo at the end of the day.
    Fascinating stuff.

You know one day, Leo will retire or move on from politics, people will need to find another scapegoat when that happens.

Well he was evading a question from a Shinner, perfectly relevant here. I guess if we have another Enda/Leo who uses this tactic the criticism won't go away mark.

Well he was evading a question from a Shinner, perfectly relevant here. I guess if we have another Enda/Leo who uses this tactic the criticism won't go away mark.

Yet, you only bring it up as a way to defend what a SF TD did today in the Dail by not debating Housing but going off to do an interview with RTE instead.

Do you have any comment on that particular incident?

Yet, you only bring it up as a way to defend what a SF TD did today in the Dail by not debating Housing but going off to do an interview with RTE instead.

Do you have any comment on that particular incident?

I'm sure there were SF deputies there Mark, they aren't ALL there all the time. What did he miss?

I'm sure there were SF deputies there Mark, they aren't ALL there all the time. What did he miss?

One would think in a debate on housing, the main opposition TD for housing would be there to debate it in the Dail?

He did write a book on it, don't you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

He was challenged to debate housing and he did a grand job. As did the FG'er apart from making claims about SF which yer man disputed.

You don't see it as supporting teams but might it be a bit of ABU? Exchange SF for united?

One would think in a debate on housing, the main opposition TD for housing would be there to debate it in the Dail?

I asked, what did he miss? Did the Minister say or do anythig different from the mess they have been running that has created the problems in housing? Go on and tell us.

I asked, what did he miss? Did the Minister say or do anythig different from the mess they have been running that has created the problems in housing? Go on and tell us.

The Dail is where the EOB should be, it is, after all, our elected house and legislative chamber, not an RTE studio.

One would think SF would understand that, but alas no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

The Dail is where the EOB should be, it is, after all, our elected house and legislative chamber, not an RTE studio.

I'd be much more concerned with what our actual government are doing than the opposition.

Almost as if people are trying to deflect....

How come you are not on here every day of the week complaining mark? Bit odd given there are TD's giving TV and Radio interviews every day of the week. Why I wonder would you pick today to make this complaint? Slow news day?

• Advertisement

spotted his book in the comic section yesterday

Oh dear, Leo is everywhere. This is the Sinn Fein thread, why are we talking about Leo?

Oh dear, Leo is everywhere. This is the Sinn Fein thread, why are we talking about Leo?

375x500.249.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I'd imagine that it's because our current Tánaiste and previous Taoiseach is pretty inevitably going to come up in conversation regarding the main opposition.

You're fond of your Tory politics across the water, Blanch....surely you wouldn't think it was irrelevant to mention Boris Johnson when discussing something Keir Starmer disagrees with him on?

The accusations of whataboutery when our current government actions or opinions are contrasted with those of SF are blatant attempts to avoid difficult lines of reasoning. I don't get why people bother, there's enough sh*t to throw at SF for some of it to stick without the Junior Cert level debate tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Another disgraceful example of sinn Fein arrogance this week.
    Another republican funeral. That’s at least 10 republican funerals have seriously breached covid regulations. Not only that, but more lies.
    Sinn Fein assured the bbc on Tuesday that no elected sf reps were at the funeral. That has been proved wrong and Gerry Kelly has now admitted there were 2 or 3 sf elected reps in attendance at the funeral but won’t disclose who.
    The shinners are just arrogantly laughing at everyone. Can you imagine any other party continuing to do this week in week out. And of course the PSNI are scarred to act for fear of cries of discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

downcow wrote: »
    Another disgraceful example of sinn Fein arrogance this week.
    Another republican funeral. That’s at least 10 republican funerals have seriously breached covid regulations. Not only that, but more lies.
    Sinn Fein assured the bbc on Tuesday that no elected sf reps were at the funeral. That has been proved wrong and Gerry Kelly has now admitted there were 2 or 3 sf elected reps in attendance at the funeral but won’t disclose who.
    The shinners are just arrogantly laughing at everyone. Can you imagine any other party continuing to do this week in week out. And of course the PSNI are scarred to act for fear of cries of discrimination.

Any links or sources?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Apparently photographs taken, so it should be open and shut one presumes.

The big gates are expected to open, it’s said.

Apparently photographs taken, so it should be open and shut one presumes.

The big gates are expected to open, it’s said.

I wish I shared your confidence.
    PSNI investigated an ira funeral in April and we are still waiting to hear.
    They investigated the Storey funeral which had thousands at it in JUNE we are still waiting and 6 months after it they had still not interviewed the main players eg Michelle O’Neil (and May still not have)
    There is a claim that undercover PSNI filmed the funeral this week. They were afraid to park a land rover on route with much higher quality cameras or put a drone up because they may cause offence. The purpose of the undercover cop is to quell the pressure PSNI are coming under to act against these breaches. No significant action will be taken.
    You really couldn’t make it up. Having to go undercover at an ira funeral in 2021 to be safe. But sure they’ve gone away!

You will rue the day if you ever let sf into power in Roi

• Advertisement

There was a big funeral in Waterford too, 2000 people at it, Gardai had to break it up.
    Sinn Fein didn't organise that one either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement