Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I wonder how SF will handle the latest nphet press release given that it blows their covid strategy out of the water?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/it-is-an-utterly-false-promise-nphet-rejects-zero-covid-strategy-as-impractical-and-risky-1.4470532?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 68,878 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I wonder how SF will handle the latest nphet press release given that it blows their covid strategy out of the water?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/it-is-an-utterly-false-promise-nphet-rejects-zero-covid-strategy-as-impractical-and-risky-1.4470532?mode=amp

Well they say they will follow the advice. Not sure they were stalwarts of the Zero Covid approach, that's more a SD/Green thing.
    Sinn Féin now says it agrees with most of the premise of the Zero Covid approach, but does not believe it is possible without the political will to pursue the same strategy in Northern Ireland.

There is some support among Government TDs and senators for this approach. Fianna Fáil TD Christopher O’Sullivan said he was "disappointed" that the Cabinet stopped short of the kind of mandatory quarantine measures in place in New Zealand and Australia.

The approach is favoured more strongly among the Green Party. Neasa Hourigan said the Cabinet should consider Zero Covid, given that it has been effective in other countries.

Green Senator Vincent P Martin made a speech in the Seanad on Tuesday outlining a number of reasons why the Government should consider such a strategy.

And there are some in Cabinet, including Green Party deputy leader Catherine Martin and Minister for Higher Education Simon Harris, who would like the current travel restrictions to go further.

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2021/0127/1193477-zero-covid-politics/

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

downcow wrote: »
    I wish I shared your confidence.
    PSNI investigated an ira funeral in April and we are still waiting to hear.
    They investigated the Storey funeral which had thousands at it in JUNE we are still waiting and 6 months after it they had still not interviewed the main players eg Michelle O’Neil (and May still not have)
    There is a claim that undercover PSNI filmed the funeral this week. They were afraid to park a land rover on route with much higher quality cameras or put a drone up because they may cause offence. The purpose of the undercover cop is to quell the pressure PSNI are coming under to act against these breaches. No significant action will be taken.
    You really couldn’t make it up. Having to go undercover at an ira funeral in 2021 to be safe. But sure they’ve gone away!

You will rue the day if you ever let sf into power in Roi

It's not only republican funerals which have issues as you rightly know. From a public health perspective the Bobby Storey funeral didn't follow best practice but either did the garda funeral or the Herbie Hutton funeral so if you're dishing out your fake outrage you could at least do it in equal measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

grayzer75 wrote: »
    It's not only republican funerals which have issues as you rightly know. From a public health perspective the Bobby Storey funeral didn't follow best practice but either did the garda funeral or the Herbie Hutton funeral so if you're dishing out your fake outrage you could at least do it in equal measures.

Perhaps the difference is that leaders of a political party gave speeches at a politicised funeral in the case of Storey. And appeared in selfies.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2020/07/02/news/michelle-o-neill-says-funeral-selfie-should-not-have-happened--1992518/

rdwight wrote: »
    Perhaps the difference is that leaders of a political party gave speeches at a politicised funeral in the case of Storey. And appeared in selfies.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2020/07/02/news/michelle-o-neill-says-funeral-selfie-should-not-have-happened--1992518/

I think they have accepted they got that wrong, as others who have made mistakes have said. Funerals and other events still causing issues across the island though as people drop their guard.

RIP.ie lists funerals and gatherings to pay respects are not discouraged in funeral notices, I was at one this week and while I stood only on the route, people did group together and follow the hearse to the church. Gardai were there and let it go. Very very hard to do it at a time like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Well they say they will follow the advice. Not sure they were stalwarts of the Zero Covid approach, that's more a SD/Green thing.

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2021/0127/1193477-zero-covid-politics/

From that report Francie.

"Sinn Féin now says it agrees with most of the premise of the Zero Covid approach, but does not believe it is possible without the political will to pursue the same strategy in Northern Ireland."

I think that's proof of their political footballing on it.
    They agree on zero covid, but only if it includes NI?
    Talk about being two faced, you're either for it or not, but if we have it here it would mean closing the border and no party wants that.
    Their and other gutterings lately has been purely trying to undermine the efforts the govt and most of the country are making to suppress the virus. Mixing up messages and totally confusing people.
    As I said before, just as dangerous as the Gemma O Dohertys etc, maybe even moreso, because they have a bigger following.
    This nonsense has to stop.

"Sinn Féin now says it agrees with most of the premise of the Zero Covid approach, but does not believe it is possible without the political will to pursue the same strategy in Northern Ireland."

Talk about being two faced, you're either for it or not, but if we have it here it would mean closing the border and no party wants that.
    Their and other gutterings lately has been purely trying to undermine the efforts the govt and most of the country are making to suppress the virus. Mixing up messages and totally confusing people.
    As I said before, just as dangerous as the Gemma O Dohertys etc, maybe even moreso, because they have a bigger following.

Ha ha ha...'trying to confuse'??? Let's ignore NPHET advice this week...open up...away we go...oops, we need to pull the horns in and accept NPHET advice and lockdown again.

Jesus Bish, did you really single out the Shinners for 'confusing people'???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

SF will go where ever the wind blows. If there the public mood was to go against the Zero Covid strategy, they would drop tools and run with it, there is a reason why they are arguably the most populist party in Ireland.
    Promise to do everything but actually do nothing.

markodaly wrote: »
    SF will go where ever the wind blows. If there the public mood was to go against the Zero Covid strategy, they would drop tools and run with it, there is a reason why they are arguably the most populist party in Ireland.
    Promise to do everything but actually do nothing.

Hate to mention Leo again, but don't we have the classic example of FG and his 'populism' in how he flip flopped on the public mood for Same Sex Marriage and Adoption rights? I can back that up if you wish?

The 'populism' tag used in relation to the political party you hate is a bit lame and tired to be honest. Effectively means nothing as they are all 'populist' when it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Hate to mention Leo again, but don't we have the classic example of FG and his 'populism' in how he flip flopped on the public mood for Same Sex Marriage and Adoption rights? I can back that up if you wish?

The 'populism' tag used in relation to the political party you hate is a bit lame and tired to be honest. Effectively means nothing as they are all 'populist' when it suits.

Right on queue, another post about Leo and FG. Leo is probably talked about more in this SF thread than SF itself.

• Advertisement

Right on queue, another post about Leo and FG. Leo is probably talked about more in this SF thread than SF itself.

You could say, right on cue, another 'populist' claim that one particular party is guilty of 'populism'.

This is like FG activity on Twitter...call the Shinners out on something, end up getting your own party exposed for doing the exact same thing...food parcels anyone? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,930 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

A lot of egg-faced posters who were advocating it as well. I am sure that someone will be along to tell us that Sinn Fein weren't advocating this at all, just like there was consistency in closing schools and opening pubs.

blanch152 wrote: »
    A lot of egg-faced posters who were advocating it as well. I am sure that someone will be along to tell us that Sinn Fein weren't advocating this at all, just like there was consistency in closing schools and opening pubs.

Have the Greens pulled back from it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Green failed Donegal candidate Michael White was still pushing for it this morning

Green failed Donegal candidate Michael White was still pushing for it this morning

This is the Sinn Fein thread!!!

The Greens are in government, they are with the government on this, and with the public health advice.

Tony Holohan and Philip Nolan have made the opposition look stupid, could almost have been quoting my posts.

The Greens are in government, they are with the government on this, and with the public health advice.

Tony Holohan and Philip Nolan have made the opposition look stupid, could almost have been quoting my posts.

Greens still on for it yesterday

A Senator last week sometime said it. Hardly the Greens still on for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

It would be pointless trying to achieve zero covid unless it includes Northern Ireland.
    The reason is that people could fly into Belfast and cross any one of about 300 crossings into the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I think they have accepted they got that wrong, as others who have made mistakes have said. Funerals and other events still causing issues across the island though as people drop their guard.

RIP.ie lists funerals and gatherings to pay respects are not discouraged in funeral notices, I was at one this week and while I stood only on the route, people did group together and follow the hearse to the church. Gardai were there and let it go. Very very hard to do it at a time like that.

They absolutely have not. Michelle has stated categorically that she will not apologise for attending the funeral and breaking the regulations.

jm08 wrote: »
    It would be pointless trying to achieve zero covid unless it includes Northern Ireland.
    The reason is that people could fly into Belfast and cross any one of about 300 crossings into the Republic.

Anyone else see the guy on the news flying from Portugal to get around the UK ban, UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

They absolutely have not. Michelle has stated categorically that she will not apologise for attending the funeral and breaking the regulations.

I don't think that is correct.

Michelle O'Neill's statement in full

“There has been considerable controversy over my attendance at Bobby Storey’s funeral.
    “He was my friend.
    "At the foremost of my mind are all the families who are grieving.
    “I have listened carefully to the voices of those who have lost loved ones.
    “No family’s grief is more important than another’s.
    “I am particularly concerned that grieving families, who have lost a loved one during the pandemic had their heartache compounded by the necessary restrictions which were in place at that time.
    “Not being able to have their family and friends’ support to help them through was hugely difficult.
    “I am also concerned that those grieving families are experiencing more hurt over recent days. I am sorry for that.
    “Bobby’s family also must have space to grieve.
    “If the regulations had prevented me from attending his funeral I would have obeyed those regulations.
    “At the funeral and mass I kept to the regulations as I have advised others to do.
    “The PSNI will look into all of this.
    “It is unfortunate that this matter has divided the Executive.
    “We have important work to do and I firmly believe that all the parties of the Executive are committed to this and to powersharing.
    “We have made good progress in this despite all the difficulties. My commitment is to continue this work.
    “Covid 19 is still with us and I will continue to lead us through this and in to recovery.”

jm08 wrote: »
    I don't think that is correct.

Michelle O'Neill's statement in full

“There has been considerable controversy over my attendance at Bobby Storey’s funeral.
    “He was my friend.
    "At the foremost of my mind are all the families who are grieving.
    “I have listened carefully to the voices of those who have lost loved ones.
    “No family’s grief is more important than another’s.
    “I am particularly concerned that grieving families, who have lost a loved one during the pandemic had their heartache compounded by the necessary restrictions which were in place at that time.
    “Not being able to have their family and friends’ support to help them through was hugely difficult.
    “I am also concerned that those grieving families are experiencing more hurt over recent days. I am sorry for that.
    “Bobby’s family also must have space to grieve.
    “If the regulations had prevented me from attending his funeral I would have obeyed those regulations.
    “At the funeral and mass I kept to the regulations as I have advised others to do.
    “The PSNI will look into all of this.
    “It is unfortunate that this matter has divided the Executive.
    “We have important work to do and I firmly believe that all the parties of the Executive are committed to this and to powersharing.
    “We have made good progress in this despite all the difficulties. My commitment is to continue this work.
    “Covid 19 is still with us and I will continue to lead us through this and in to recovery.”

It wasn't good enough. Nobody broke any regulations in Clifden as the regulations had not come into force, yet they resigned.

We still don't have the results of the PSNI investigation either.

Aren't SF with NPHET...and I presume all of us...they are for Zero Covid but it isn't possible here.
    Unless I am reading that article from RTE wrong

Aren't SF with NPHET...and I presume all of us...they are for Zero Covid but it isn't possible here.
    Unless I am reading that article from RTE wrong

Oh dear, oh dear.

After weeks of screaming for the island to be cut-off, now you are telling us that Sinn Fein were never in favour of it because it wasn't possible, even though we told you so for weeks.

Oh dear, oh dear.

After weeks of screaming for the island to be cut-off, now you are telling us that Sinn Fein were never in favour of it because it wasn't possible, even though we told you so for weeks.

Stopping people coming on to the island isn't a Zero Covid strategy blanch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The Dail is where the EOB should be, it is, after all, our elected house and legislative chamber, not an RTE studio.

One would think SF would understand that, but alas no.

I listened to it. Both the SF and FG lads were on the phone. Why wasn't the FG'er in the Dail? They are actually in government right?

Oh dear, Leo is everywhere. This is the Sinn Fein thread, why are we talking about Leo?

Because he makes an arse of himself and tells lies on an almost daily basis.

Another disgraceful example of sinn Fein arrogance this week.
    Another republican funeral. That’s at least 10 republican funerals have seriously breached covid regulations. Not only that, but more lies.
    Sinn Fein assured the bbc on Tuesday that no elected sf reps were at the funeral. That has been proved wrong and Gerry Kelly has now admitted there were 2 or 3 sf elected reps in attendance at the funeral but won’t disclose who.
    The shinners are just arrogantly laughing at everyone. Can you imagine any other party continuing to do this week in week out. And of course the PSNI are scarred to act for fear of cries of discrimination.

I doubt they were laughing at the burial. TBF the government down south are giving mixed messages on funerals. it wasn't good form if it was a shinner, now any funeral is grand, even if you've to fly.

It wasn't good enough. Nobody broke any regulations in Clifden as the regulations had not come into force, yet they resigned.

We still don't have the results of the PSNI investigation either.

Who looked for their resignations? I certainly didn't.
    The only resignation I thought appropriate was the chap who lied to us and his bosses several times.
    I was critical of Golfgate and the Storey funeral and all breaches and mistakes.

• Advertisement

I wish I shared your confidence.
    PSNI investigated an ira funeral in April and we are still waiting to hear.
    They investigated the Storey funeral which had thousands at it in JUNE we are still waiting and 6 months after it they had still not interviewed the main players eg Michelle O’Neil (and May still not have)
    There is a claim that undercover PSNI filmed the funeral this week. They were afraid to park a land rover on route with much higher quality cameras or put a drone up because they may cause offence. The purpose of the undercover cop is to quell the pressure PSNI are coming under to act against these breaches. No significant action will be taken.
    You really couldn’t make it up. Having to go undercover at an ira funeral in 2021 to be safe. But sure they’ve gone away!

You will rue the day if you ever let sf into power in Roi

TBF it's an improvement on them bounding into a pub and grabbing up who ever and beating them etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement