Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,934 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.thejournal.ie/simon-coveney-uk-block-of-covid-funding-5228522-Oct2020/

Seems that Sinn Fein are running out of excuses for the situation up North.

"Speaking on RTɒs Morning Ireland, Coveney said that while there is a perspective that British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is under pressure to release further funding, that is not what he was told during his meeting with the Northern Ireland Secretary in Belfast yesterday.

Coveney said that he was told by Lewis that “finance from London shouldn’t be a problem”.

“What he is saying is that the British government has already made significant funding available to the Executive specifically for Covid in Northern Ireland and the response there,”"

They really need to get their act together up there, the incompetence of the SF/DUP government may cost us all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Eoin O'Broin and Mary Lou etc, those well known thugs and sociopaths. :) Truth, you need to see somebody about those boogeymen and women under your bed. Really!

well they do have a long history of putting things under cars …….

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/simon-coveney-uk-block-of-covid-funding-5228522-Oct2020/

Seems that Sinn Fein are running out of excuses for the situation up North.

"Speaking on RTɒs Morning Ireland, Coveney said that while there is a perspective that British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is under pressure to release further funding, that is not what he was told during his meeting with the Northern Ireland Secretary in Belfast yesterday.

Coveney said that he was told by Lewis that “finance from London shouldn’t be a problem”.

“What he is saying is that the British government has already made significant funding available to the Executive specifically for Covid in Northern Ireland and the response there,”"

They really need to get their act together up there, the incompetence of the SF/DUP government may cost us all.

So the British (the government of Boris????) say, 'everything is fine, nothing to see here' and you bought it? :):)

https://www.thejournal.ie/michelle-oneill-covid-19-5228604-Oct2020/

Hope Michelle gets the same sympathy around here that members of the government got who were self-isolating..........................oh.

Hope Michelle gets the same sympathy around here that members of the government got who were self-isolating..........................oh.

I didn't see anyone doubt or wish anyone in the government ill. I did see someone doubt very stridently whether a party leader was being genuine about her illness though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,649 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Ah...progress...'put troops on the soil'.

Any predictions of when you will get around to dealing with a 'clearly flagged peacekeeping intervention'. The purpose of which would be to act a 'buffer', the very thing the British cabinet was agonising over and considering.

Francie, you can flag it as the second coming of Jesus Christ or 'The Annual Housewife of the Year, hosted by Gay Bryne' all you want, it doesn't mean anything in the terms of realpolitik. That is what is missing here, when you go on about this dream of yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I wish her well and hope she is OK and hasn't gotten the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

So the British (the government of Boris????) say, 'everything is fine, nothing to see here' and you bought it? :):)

Well there's a certain pension scheme up there that SF held up, they have form.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,649 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Supposition.

No its reality. The fact that it didn't happen is in of itself, self evident.

So you don't wish to accept or address the diplomatic efforts that went into trying to avoid a war. OK, speaks for itself.

What was the end result? A UN resolution directly against Argentina and calling them the aggressor. If Ireland did what you are talking about, there would be a similar UN resolution directed against Ireland and we would be the aggressor.
    Any, if limited sympathy we may have had, would be gone over night.

Yes, NATO members, who could see just as clearly as Wilson and Callaghan saw, what was going on and what could happen if no intervention was made. And at that stage the British had NO intention and were vehemently rejecting the idea of sending in their own troops. So panicked was that move in the end that the order was made while Jim Callaghan was on a helicopter flight from a meeting with the PM.

To be fair Francie, West Germnay and the like, had much bigger fish to fry then worry about some Catholic and Nationalists getting a box in the head in Derry from some B-Special. It was certainly not big enough to warrant them rethinking NATO, when the USSR were on their doorsteps with the Red Army and their nuclear weapons.
    Again your dreams are crashing against the cliff called reality.

Europe had little interest in the North overall.
    The fact is after all this tooing and froing and what iffing Mark , that we did nothing for people we were mandated to protect.

What mandate was this exactly? As bad as it sounds, they were citizens of the UK, not the Republic.
    And that is to our shame. I think (I say this tentatively) the lesson has been learned, we cannot back off confronting issues in the north, as when they go bad they affect us all. Even if partitionists are in denial of that.

Ah, we are back to the emotive, when reason fails.
    Altogether now...shout it out.... SHAAAAAAAAAMMMME!!
    Sorry but you can leather yourself with a whip all you want, I will not be partaking.

markodaly wrote: »
    I will not be partaking.

You didn't 'partake' mark. You just made up stuff I said and then constructed a reply.

• Advertisement

You didn't 'partake' mark. You just made up stuff I said and then constructed a reply.

Probably closer to the mark to suggest that you made up what you said than he made up what you said.

It was just not possible in 1969 to do what you said should have been done. Realpolitik was that Ireland was a non-player in international diplomacy. Since then, by opening to the world, through successive governments led by FF and FG, through membership of the EU, through active participation in UN peacekeeping, through active participation in international organisations, through the hard work of our diplomats (all of which opposed to a greater or lesser extent by Sinn Fein and the IRA), despite the best efforts of the IRA (supported by Sinn Fein) to destroy the country's reputation, Ireland has managed to achieve a level of respect around the world that mean if it happened today we would be able to address the issue through diplomatic means without the use of violence.

Now, before you mention Aiken, Ireland's minor diplomatic fame at the time, centred around one intervention in respect of the NNF Treaty, a treaty that was destested by the main powers in UK, France, Russia, China and the US. It was also predicated on Ireland's neutrality, it's solid position of non-agreession, and non-participation in conflict. Sending our army into the North would have blown all of that up as pure hypocrisy. Now I know that hypocrisy is a comfort blanket for Irish republicanism, but it doesn't wash in the wider world.

Your posts on this subject show an alarming naivety about the realities of world politics in the 1960s and 1970s and the power make-up of the United Nations. I am not sure whether it derives from a parochial vision of the world inherent to inward-looking political movements or whether it is part of fervent tenets of Irish republicanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

A woman might be seriously sick and you are getting a swipe in at others, your some woman.

I do recall people saying Mary Lou was missing even though she was isolating at a period, is that what you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

• Registered Users Posts: 55,712 ✭✭✭✭walshb

christy c wrote: »
    It reads like something from Waterford Whispers news.

Christmas twice a year as well they want!!!

And people fall for it unfortunately

Yep, usually those that contribute fook all...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

walshb wrote: »
    Yep, usually those that contribute fook all...

you can prove this? Didnt think so.

Probably closer to the mark to suggest that you made up what you said than he made up what you said.

It was just not possible in 1969 to do what you said should have been done. Realpolitik was that Ireland was a non-player in international diplomacy. Since then, by opening to the world, through successive governments led by FF and FG, through membership of the EU, through active participation in UN peacekeeping, through active participation in international organisations, through the hard work of our diplomats (all of which opposed to a greater or lesser extent by Sinn Fein and the IRA), despite the best efforts of the IRA (supported by Sinn Fein) to destroy the country's reputation, Ireland has managed to achieve a level of respect around the world that mean if it happened today we would be able to address the issue through diplomatic means without the use of violence.

Now, before you mention Aiken, Ireland's minor diplomatic fame at the time, centred around one intervention in respect of the NNF Treaty, a treaty that was destested by the main powers in UK, France, Russia, China and the US. It was also predicated on Ireland's neutrality, it's solid position of non-agreession, and non-participation in conflict. Sending our army into the North would have blown all of that up as pure hypocrisy. Now I know that hypocrisy is a comfort blanket for Irish republicanism, but it doesn't wash in the wider world.

Your posts on this subject show an alarming naivety about the realities of world politics in the 1960s and 1970s and the power make-up of the United Nations. I am not sure whether it derives from a parochial vision of the world inherent to inward-looking political movements or whether it is part of fervent tenets of Irish republicanism.

Your posting shows an alarming inability to understand what is being proposed. You are like one of the characters out of Dad's Army.

Bottom line - you do everything you can including ignoring international law if need be to protect your people. You do not worry about your 'standing' and invites to soirees with other diplomats. That is real politik.
    If you abjectly fail as we did, you stand accused of cowardice and in Lynch's case selfish self interest. He did actually admit to the fear of losing power. Shameful (and I don't care if mark has a conniption because I used that word)

Now off you go and talk to someone else about 'invasions', I am done repeating myself.

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    you can prove this? Didnt think so.

Prove it...? Gimme a break...

A woman might be seriously sick and you are getting a swipe in at others, your some woman.

I do recall people saying Mary Lou was missing even though she was isolating at a period, is that what you are talking about?

People don't matter as long as the dig is got.

People don't matter as long as the dig is got.

if your consistent position on this thread alone makes your opinion on anything clear is that your party considers human life expendable so pack in your pathetic fake concern

mynamejeff wrote: »
    if your consistent position on this thread alone makes your opinion on anything clear is that your party considers human life expendable so pack in your pathetic fake concern

No, I think every life lost is a tragedy. You've got the wrong poster there I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

walshb wrote: »
    Christmas twice a year as well they want!!!

You should check out independent.ie which lists out the full length of the promised gravy train. Superficially great news of those who do not work save that it is rich in fantasy so it wont ever come true.

Just as well Bowie is no longer interested in a cheap house

Not so great for those who do work.

A disaster for anyone who has enjoyed a modicum of success in life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

No, I think every life lost is a tragedy. You've got the wrong poster there I'm afraid.

Yep pay attention Jeff. Francie's heroes had no choice but murder and terrorise because Jack Lynch did not send in Irish troops as peacekeepers in 1969. And its NOT an invasion no matter what anyone says

Truthvader wrote: »
    Yep pay attention Jeff. Francie's heroes had no choice but murder and terrorise because Jack Lynch did not send in Irish troops as peacekeepers in 1969. And its NOT an invasion no matter what anyone says

I don't believe in the cult of 'heroes' Truth. I believe in ordinary people.

Ordinary people do extreme things. Ireland is no different to any where else on the planet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Truthvader wrote: »

Michael Collins murdered people and Ireland celebrate him. Pot kettle

Michael Collins murdered people and Ireland celebrate him. Pot kettle

so did bin laden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

mynamejeff wrote: »
    so did bin laden

So you reject the founders of the state?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement