Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Leo on radio this morning essentially saying that it's not that they want to close the border they just want to move it south, cede Cavan Monagahn and Donegal and hope to contain it.

Lunacy again...an all island solution is the only way.

The one thing that everybody is now saying is that widespread lockdowns and similar positions across every situation is not the correct way to do things.

Norway are showing that localised solutions prove the best way to contain the virus. Our county-by-county approach may even need further localisation.

It is now clear that political objectives are the only thing driving the Sinn Fein response on this. Calling for an all-island approach when all the science is pointing the other way is just political expediency. At the same time, they are criticising the government for balancing public health and economic issues. More proof that Sinn Fein are not a normal party.

:) Who said they take their instructions from Boris?

Several of the 5 partners in the executive wish to take instructions from Boris is what has been said.

That s what has made securing the health of this island so difficult. The incidence of the virus in the north is down to this divisiveness and the failure of the state it has caused.

Excuses for the inaction of politicians - partition made me do it.

What nonsense, once again trying to make political capital out of people getting sick and dying when the real reason is politicians incapable of making decisions. .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    The one thing that everybody is now saying is that widespread lockdowns and similar positions across every situation is not the correct way to do things.

Norway are showing that localised solutions prove the best way to contain the virus. Our county-by-county approach may even need further localisation.

It is now clear that political objectives are the only thing driving the Sinn Fein response on this. Calling for an all-island approach when all the science is pointing the other way is just political expediency. At the same time, they are criticising the government for balancing public health and economic issues. More proof that Sinn Fein are not a normal party.

'All the science'?

Is there any point asking you to back up this assertion?

Excuses for the inaction of politicians - partition made me do it.

What nonsense, once again trying to make political capital out of people getting sick and dying when the real reason is politicians incapable of making decisions. .

:D:D
    Says the poster engaging in a macabre competition since the start.

Moving the border further south is not a solution now as it wasn't a solution making 3, 6 or 9 counties a separate state a 100 years ago.

It is the very essence of kick the can down the road political expediency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

:D:D
    Says the poster engaging in a macabre competition since the start.

Moving the border further south is not a solution now as it wasn't a solution making 3, 6 or 9 counties a separate state a 100 years ago.

It is the very essence of kick the can down the road political expediency.

Mary-Lou on morning Ireland seems, in favour of just that approach.
    She said including border counties in such a move restriction wise seems to be a good approach.

And turning every policy into a UI debate is just a ridiculous old strawman attitude.

• Advertisement

She said including border counties in such a move restriction wise seems to be a good approach.

And what else did she say?

That in the absence of an all island approach ....other ways HAD to be looked at.

And what else did she say?

That in the absence of an all island approach ....other ways HAD to be looked at.

The Dublin Central TD said to control community transmission in border areas where "they are essentially one community" it is necessary to take increased actions.

And she didn't say we need a UI to get rid of covid.

The Dublin Central TD said to control community transmission in border areas where "they are essentially one community" it is necessary to take increased actions.

And she didn't say we need a UI to get rid of covid.

Em...nor did I.

We need an all island approach.

Em...nor did I.

"Moving the border further south is not a solution now as it wasn't a solution making 3, 6 or 9 counties a separate state a 100 years ago."

So that wasn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Em...nor did I.

So places like Waterford should be subject to the same restrictions as Derry?

• Advertisement

"Moving the border further south is not a solution now as it wasn't a solution making 3, 6 or 9 counties a separate state a 100 years ago."

So that wasn't you?

It was me.

Seriously...you gonna get into a **** load of pedantic nonsense?

We need an all island approach to pandemics and threats to our health and food security - agree or disagree?

We wouldn't be faced with this issue today if we had one from the start.

Cavan and Waterford are subject to the same restrictions now, with vastly different rates.

What is your point Johnny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

I think that's not what he meant
    Parts of Antrim are not too far as free of this as the extreme SE but Belfast trumps that
    An all island approach does not mean the same restrictions everywhere
    It means appropriate restrictions available island wide
    We probably should be extending our mid term break from 1 to 2 weeks aswell for example
    Thats a circuit break based on the same science as a 2 week quarantine as long as its in tandem with the other restrictions announced over in the north

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

And turning every policy into a UI debate is just a ridiculous old strawman attitude.

thing is donegal had it lowest cases yesterday since 27/09, our 14 day rates are obviously massive at the moment and one days numbers does not a summer make. but i have seen a massive reduction in general traffic, northern traffic and rest of the country traffic in the last 10 days. i think a lot of that happened with the country wide level 3 before that the level 3 here was basically a waste of time.

but i am sick of SF playing politics im not sure what MLM is advocating when the new NI lockdown appears to be less than what we are doing in level 3

It was me.

Seriously...you gonna get into a **** load of pedantic nonsense?

We need an all island approach to pandemics and threats to our health and food security - agree or disagree?

We wouldn't be faced with this issue today if we had one from the start.

If its blame you're for this you're trying to lay, where are you trying to lay it?
    Of course an all island approach is the best way to deal with it, but sitting harping about partition that happened 100 years ago is just a strawman argument about where we are now.
    Covid would be here whether we had a UI or not, and given the figures we have today that part of the island should be in tighter restrictions than the rest of us anyway.

thing is donegal had it lowest cases yesterday since 27/09, our 14 day rates are obviously massive at the moment and one days numbers does not a summer make. but i have seen a massive reduction in general traffic, northern traffic and rest of the country traffic in the last 10 days. i think a lot of that happened with the country wide level 3 before that the level 3 here was basically a waste of time.

but i am sick of SF playing politics im not sure what MLM is advocating when the new NI lockdown appears to be less than what we are doing in level 3

Its not less
    Pubs in the south are still serving ,many at night in tents

The doors of these tents are closed and as someone said to me,this must be to keep the heat in and the virus out... :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Nobotty wrote: »
    Its not less
    Pubs in the south are still serving ,many at night in tents

The doors of these tents are closed and as someone said to me,this must be to keep the heat in and the virus out... :D:D

Plus all the schools in the north are closing for two weeks from Friday.

I think that's not what he meant
    Parts of Antrim are not too far as free of this as the extreme SE but Belfast trumps that
    An all island approach does not mean the same restrictions everywhere
    It means appropriate restrictions available island wide
    We probably should be extending our mid term break from 1 to 2 weeks aswell for example
    Thats a circuit break based on the same science as a 2 week quarantine as long as its in tandem with the other restrictions announced over in the north

No, we should not be extending our mid term break from 1 to 2 weeks.

There is no evidence that schools are a major factor in transmission.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/facts/questions-answers-school-transmission

The NI measure is Sinn Fein pandering to populist mistaken fears.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/facts/questions-answers-school-transmission

Do you not know how the assembly works?

All parties decide and implement the measures not just one party ffs.

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Do you not know how the assembly works?

All parties decide and implement the measures not just one party ffs.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1014/1171411-coronavirus-northern-ireland/

"She said she supported moves to close schools for two weeks and did so with a heavy heart given the "unfortunate situation"."

Sinn Fein have led the charge on that particular measure.

• Advertisement

I welcome the moves in the north this morning.
    Like ourselves they're finding it hard to agree the right policy to deal with this outbreak.
    There isrecognition on both sides of the border of the difficulty of finding the ground between containment, economy, health care, education and mental wellbeing.
    The only certainty with covid appears to be there can be no certainty and small chance of universal agreement on the best way forward.

Bulsh1t
    There are many schools at the moment with 100s of 5th 6th and transition year students out awaiting tests
    Ask a teacher if you know one
    Its no coincidence that the latest surges coincided with schools and colleges opening
    If you want to talk to panderer's go look at the Dublin government and specifically FF who think not closing schools for an extra week is more important than a circuit break
    Basically they are putting their own ego ahead of health
    Its going to be an even more embarrassing u turn later if they've to close them longer
    Martin should cop on

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1014/1171411-coronavirus-northern-ireland/

"She said she supported moves to close schools for two weeks and did so with a heavy heart given the "unfortunate situation"."

The chief medical officer has, it's just that SF listened to him unlike Leo The Liar....

grayzer75 wrote: »
    The chief medical officer has, it's just that SF listened to him unlike Leo The Liar....

Another lad that thinks it's all Leo's fault!
    And given your comment ré how the assembly works, apparently you know damn all yourself on how govt works.

Another lad that thinks it's all Leo's fault!
    And given your comment ré how the assembly works, apparently you know damn all yourself on how govt works.

I know how the assembly in the north works thanks.

Bulsh1t
    There are many schools at the moment with 100s of 5th 6th and transition year students out awaiting tests
    Ask a teacher if you know one
    Its no coincidence that the latest surges coincided with schools and colleges opening
    If you want to talk to panderer's go look at the Dublin government and specifically FF who think not closing schools for an extra week is more important than a circuit break
    Basically they are putting their own ego ahead of health
    Its going to be an even more embarrassing u turn later if they've to close them longer
    Martin should cop on

Ask a teacher? I am on a Board of Management dealing with it.

I have two family members who are principals of schools.

I have one child in school.

Read the article I posted, schools are not the source of transmission. We have had cases in the school I am involved with. Every single one of them was contracted outside the school environment and none of them resulted in onward transmission in the school. Once the school does things right, both teachers and pupils are safe.

As for the colleges, students would be better off sitting in lecture theatres one or two metres apart than spending their days having house parties.

Read the article I posted, schools are not the source of transmission. We have had cases in the school I am involved with. Every single one of them was contracted outside the school environment and none of them resulted in onward transmission in the school. Once the school does things right, both teachers and pupils are safe.

As for the colleges, students would be better off sitting in lecture theatres one or two metres apart than spending their days having house parties.

It seems now there could be a rethink on that.
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/education/localised-school-lockdowns-and-extended-mid-term-break-back-on-the-agenda-for-problematic-covid-areas-39623404.html

You have no idea how the cases spread because the virus can't talk
    Unless the classes are tested,you've no idea who is asymptomatic at this stage either
    A person contact traced might be the original spreader or the person its spread to
    The categorisation of the person first found as having c19 in a setting as the spreader IS nonsense
    The fact the NI cmo requested the schools closure speaks volumes

College students are prone to the same levels of slip ups as the general public in their work social and school environment
    One of the case studies the other week presented at the department news conference proved exactly that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

And even if they did, it is the right approach, younger people appear to be asymptomatic.

So I will ask you this:
    - How many of them actually go for a test if they feel sick? (Remember the rate of no shows for tests(Then think what are the age brackets for the no shows))
    - How many of them Limit contacts as advised? (I'll answer this for you to save time, they cant as they are rammed into already overcrowded schools)
    - When a case is confirmed in a school or class what does the HSE do? (again I will answer this, they are told to go on as normal, nobody gets tested)

While Professor Nolan is 100% correct on his cohort breakdown of age to virus ratios it is not the true data picture. We have no idea how many people actually have this virus right now in Ireland and we never will.

This chat is better suited to the covid thread but I just wanted to address your claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Your obviously blinkered then.

Best leave this to the medical experts and in relation to your role as a member of a BOM I think its best not pass your personal opinions as medical fact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement