Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

jm08 wrote: »
    How are they giving the two fingers to CT payers? Are they all going to move to Hungary, whose CT rate is 9%? Why have they not moved there already?

Look up their unbelievable stupidity around the Apple tax, an arm of the state agrees that their approach was compliant for Irish tax, yet SF and their fans tell them to get lost, that the Irish government shouldn't have appealed the flawed EU ruling.

Who knows where they would move to if SF got implement their nonsensical ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

How are they giving the two fingers to CT payers? Are they all going to move to Hungary, whose CT rate is 9%? Why have they not moved there already?

Because it's not just about the CT rate. What's the infrastructure like in Hungary? Have they the workers with the required skills etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

christy c wrote: »
    Look up their unbelievable stupidity around the Apple tax, an arm of the state agrees that their approach was compliant for Irish tax, yet SF and their fans tell them to get lost, that the Irish government shouldn't have appealed the flawed EU ruling.

They know uneducated people buy into that ****e and post it all over Social media. But that is SF ploy , they don’t encourage them people to educate themselves, because if they were they wouldn’t vote for them . Every party has a mixed bag of voters but around election time and when Mary Lou is out canvassing go up to Finbars that evening and see who she associates with . obviously there is respectable people who vote for SF because they are republican minded but the other element out weighs them massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

blanch152 wrote: »
    Why should it be a perk for either individual TDs or parties?

Regular income to either financially benefit individual TDs or investment to fund party activities.

Either way, if the system is as you say it is, it allows TDs and/or political parties to build up property portfolios.

Yes.

In the case of a political party such as Sinn Fein, it is even worse as they are supporting the corporatisation of landlords, something they claim to oppose. Hypocritical all round, not a normal party.

Wouldn't political parties be not-for-profit organisations?

Thats not over yet. Sinn Fein is on the same pages as the EU Commission.

• Advertisement

jh79 wrote: »
    Because it's not just about the CT rate. What's the infrastructure like in Hungary? Have they the workers with the required skills etc.

Isn't your argument that it is all about the corporate tax rate, that if the CT rate was increased, all that FDI would leave?

Thats not over yet. Sinn Fein is on the same pages as the EU Commission.

Its under appeal, quite unlikely to succeed IMO. Sinn Fein is away with the fairies.

But no matter which side you are on, the stupidity of wanting to spend money held in escrow had to be seen to be believed.

Isn't your argument that it is all about the corporate tax rate, that if the CT rate was increased, all that FDI would leave?

No, not the CT rate in isolation. If Tax structures in general increases the cost of investing in Ireland then i believe there will be a negative effect on the levels of FDI.

Its under appeal, quite unlikely to succeed IMO. Sinn Fein is away with the fairies.

But no matter which side you are on, the stupidity of wanting to spend money held in escrow had to be seen to be believed.

So, now the issue is with the Apple money, not with increasing the CT rate. If the CT rate was increased to 15% say, do you think many FDI companies would leave?

No, not the CT rate in isolation. If Tax structures in general increases the cost of investing in Ireland then i believe there will be a negative effect on the levels of FDI.

At 15%, Ireland would still have one of the lowest rates in the EU (bar Hungary, Cyprus and a few other smaller countries).

• Advertisement

So, now the issue is with the Apple money, not with increasing the CT rate. If the CT rate was increased to 15% say, do you think many FDI companies would leave?

What are you on about when you say "now the issue"? I did not mention rates. There are issues with the stupid approach to Apple's money, and also rates if they are crazy enough to go near them. Plus demographics looking after themselves, tax the rich, etc.

But anyway I have made my point, any party "very economically literate" would be putting forward slightly better ideas that that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What are you on about when you say "now the issue"? I did not mention rates. There are issues with the stupid approach to Apple's money, and also rates if they are crazy enough to go near them. Plus demographics looking after themselves, tax the rich, etc.

But anyway I have made my point, any party "very economically literate" would be putting forward slightly better ideas that that.

Didn't the twitter row between Doherty and Varadkar erupt because Varadkar was criticising Doherty for wanting to bring in something which was "a Key Recommendation of the Expert Review of Corporation Tax commissioned by Minister Noonan & carried out by the former chair of the Irish Fiscal Advisory Council Seamus Coffey"? As per below?

https://twitter.com/PearseDoherty/status/1315320889081319425?s=19

Leo got absolutely torn to shreds on twitter on Sunday over that one Christy :D

McMurphy wrote: »
    Didn't the twitter row between Doherty and Varadkar erupt because Varadkar was criticising Doherty for wanting to bring in something which was "a Key Recommendation of the Expert Review of Corporation Tax commissioned by Minister Noonan & carried out by the former chair of the Irish Fiscal Advisory Council Seamus Coffey"? As per below?

That tweet was already addressed by me.

But anyway what has that got to do with the mind numbingly stupid things I have mentioned above? Just because Leo left an open door for Pearse to walk through, does that make the demographics looking after themselves, giving two fingers to our corporate tax payers any less stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

By a load of mouth-breathing Shinnerbots. What else would you expect from a pig but a grunt? The online army have gone rogue on SF tbh. Polite society is getting sick of them.

By a load of mouth-breathing Shinnerbots. What else would you expect from a pig but a grunt? The online army have gone rogue on SF tbh. Polite society is getting sick of them.

I couldn't give a furry flute who tore him to shreds John, the man is a fool, trying to mock something his own party recommended, Doherty made a right bollox out of him Sunday.

There's no getting away from it, every time he leaves D15 the place is a Bell End short. :D

At 15%, Ireland would still have one of the lowest rates in the EU (bar Hungary, Cyprus and a few other smaller countries).

Not sure what point you are making? A number of factors at play when it comes to FDI.

Whatever our system is seems to be working and if a party is suggesting it's too soft i'd like to see some evidence that it wouldn't impact FDI.

And what is your understanding of what SF's policy is on taxation?

Not sure what point you are making? A number of factors at play when it comes to FDI.

Whatever our system is seems to be working and if a party is suggesting it's too soft i'd like to see some evidence that it wouldn't impact FDI.

You and a couple of your buddies seemed to be making it all about the 12.5%. You backtracking now?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I couldn't give a furry flute who tore him to shreds John, the man is a fool, trying to mock something his own party recommended, Doherty made a right bollox out of him Sunday.

There's no getting away from it, every time he leaves D15 the place is a Bell End short. :D

All that post does is show up your ignorance of the workings of Government.

Government commissions Report. Report makes recommendations.

That does not mean that one of the parties of that Government recommended the recommendations. You would need to produce an extract from the Fine Gael election manifesto that references the particular recommendation to be able to suggest that Fine Gael recommended it.

Don't worry, I wouldn't expect Pearse to understand it either.

Don't understand your reference to D15 nightspots. While the Bell pub is still going, the End Nightclub is long gone.

You and a couple of your buddies seemed to be making it all about the 12.5%. You backtracking now?

How am i back tracking. It rather the simple. The more expensive it is to locate a business here the more difficult it will be to attract FDI.

If SF claim multi nationals can pay more without affecting FDI they should provide evidence to support the claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Oh Matt.

You just hung your leader out to dry.

Oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Rinsed again.

Not a good night for Matt.

blanch152 wrote: »
    All that post does is show up your ignorance of the workings of Government.

Government commissions Report. Report makes recommendations.

That does not mean that one of the parties of that Government recommended the recommendations. You would need to produce an extract from the Fine Gael election manifesto that references the particular recommendation to be able to suggest that Fine Gael recommended it.

Don't worry, I wouldn't expect Pearse to understand it either.

Don't understand your reference to D15 nightspots. While the Bell pub is still going, the End Nightclub is long gone.

You are talking though your hoop on this part in bold blanch, I suspect hoping no one will call you out tbh.

By this logic, no govt party can take credit for, nor be blamed for anything ever, unless one of the party's had it in their manifestos. "In government, we were responsible for the success of X,Y or Z" - was it in your manifesto? No, up the yard so. :D
    Oh Matt.

You just hung your leader out to dry.

Oops.
    Rinsed again.

Not a good night for Matt.

Who or what are you referring to here jingle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

"torn to shreds on twitter" Ooh Mummy

Truthvader wrote: »
    "torn to shreds on twitter" Ooh Mummy

Lol, the relevance of that point spectacularly lost on the likes of yourself.

Leo is a self obsessed monomaniac, he literally spent millions of tax payers money on a spin unit that was used to stoke and promote his ego and online image/persona.

The fact that he made a complete and utter tit of himself on his preferred self promotion platform - Twitter, and was completely torn asunder on it by lots of tweets from the general public will have put a severe dent in his ego, and I would bet good money he was absolutely fcuking fuming that Doherty was gifted the material to make a right plonker of Varadkar on it, of a Sunday afternoon.

If Leo had next to no presence on twitter your post might have a bit of substance or relevance, that's the point. :D

How am i back tracking. It rather the simple. The more expensive it is to locate a business here the more difficult it will be to attract FDI.

You don't seem to have taken into account that on corporate tax at 15%, Ireland would still be cheaper than most of our competitors for the mainly US investment. eg
    France 34.4%

Germany 29.8

Denmark 22%

The Netherlands 25%
    Portugal 31.5%
    Poland 19%

GB 19%
    If SF claim multi nationals can pay more without affecting FDI they should provide evidence to support the claim.

At this stage it doesn't matter when it comes to CT because when they repatriate their profits back to the US, they have to pay the difference between Irish CT and US CT (which is 21%).

You don't seem to have taken into account that on corporate tax at 15%, Ireland would still be cheaper than most of our competitors for the mainly US investment. eg
    France 34.4%

Germany 29.8

Denmark 22%

The Netherlands 25%
    Portugal 31.5%
    Poland 19%

GB 19%

At this stage it doesn't matter when it comes to CT because when they repatriate their profits back to the US, they have to pay the difference between Irish CT and US CT (which is 21%).

Are SF proposing to increase the rate? We all know they don't know their backside from their elbow economically, but I thought they did not want to increase it (for now at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Lol, the relevance of that point spectacularly lost on the likes of yourself.

Leo is a self obsessed monomaniac, he literally spent millions of tax payers money on a spin unit that was used to stoke and promote his ego and online image/persona.

The fact that he made a complete and utter tit of himself on his preferred self promotion platform - Twitter, and was completely torn asunder on it by lots of tweets from the general public will have put a severe dent in his ego, and I would bet good money he was absolutely fcuking fuming that Doherty was gifted the material to make a right plonker of Varadkar on it, of a Sunday afternoon.

If Leo had next to no presence on twitter your post might have a bit of substance or relevance, that's the point. :D

Enjoy your fantasy. It will be a cold day in hell when load mouth thicko Pearse Doherty manages to equal Leo on any topic - regardless of the sneering on twitter of the Sinn Fein trolls

Are SF proposing to increase the rate? We all know they don't know their backside from their elbow economically, but I thought they did not want to increase it (for now at least).

No, they are not proposing a change. There are a couple of people here who seem to think that they are. I just want to know what the reasoning is that if the CT was increased to say 15%, why they think that FDI would all leave bearing in mind CT would still be way below Ireland's competitors for FDI.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

You are talking though your hoop on this part in bold blanch, I suspect hoping no one will call you out tbh.

By this logic, no govt party can take credit for, nor be blamed for anything ever, unless one of the party's had it in their manifestos. "In government, we were responsible for the success of X,Y or Z" - was it in your manifesto? No, up the yard so. :D

Who or what are you referring to here jingle?

I don't even think Jingle knows what he is talking about

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement