Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Try the three letter abbreviation ending in A.
    No, not the IRA, go again.

I suspect you're right bishop, a few weeks back at the end of county championship time, I had several WhatsApp videos of a hurling senior team celebrations, a junior football team celebrations, a minor football and senior football celebrations, all rival clubs from about an 8 like radius of each other going mad, partying in a few houses - jammed to the rafters with lads and ladies drinking and singing in unison.

From what I'm hearing, students are also doing their fair bit too, with house party's in student areas in lieu of the nightclubs and bars being open. A majority of students in the north tend to be of a nationalist background from memory too

I don't know how they tackle that tbh, curfews/fines? I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Truthvader wrote: »
    Not sure what this reply means. Genuinely wondering if the allegation is actually true or not and if so what the reason could possibly be. Catholics are not any more vulnerable to the virus than protestants

Depends on whose prayers are answered maybe:).

I honestly don't know myself just seen it there now, I had a bit of a joke about it yesterday ré Nationalists.
    But it would be disturbing to see if one side of the community were infected by such a higher percentage rate than the other, that would need studying and reasons for that anomaly found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Kowerski

Nobotty wrote: »
    Yes GAA club championships have been super spreader events around my area anyway and obviously after pub celebrations with the age profile mix of young and old its wildfires in the community then

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/1085927/

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2020/10/09/ratoath-highest-infection-rate-in-meath/

Replicated all over Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

McMurphy wrote: »

I don't know how they tackle that tbh, curfews/fines? I dunno.

They send in 27 stone Stephen Nolan with a microphone to give out to them and say they're killing him

They send in 27 stone Stephen Nolan with a microphone to give out to them and say they're killing him

He's an awful gowl tbh, I don't know how he's so popular up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Dealing with what?

If cannot hear the 'will there won't there be a level 5' discussion and that people in business and a personal capacity are worried about what that means (It has literally been the days conversation in the media) then you are deaf.
    Seems it is more important to get a snide dig in.

Media is dealing with what is current/topical.
    That is what they do.

Businesses are naturally worried.

Is everyone in society worried. Personally I don't think so.

We should not infantilise people.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,946 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Was he though?

When elected in 2011 he received 5,783 first preference votes in the now abolished Dublin South-East constituency. A turnout of 35,000.

In 2020 he received 6,346 votes in the new, very crowded Dublin Bay south constituency with a turnout of 40,000. This time up against heavy hitters like Jim O'Callaghan and Eamon Ryan. He also carried a strong running mate in Kate O'Connell who split the FG vote.

Chris Andrews pipped him to the second seat in this 4 seater thanks to transfers, resulting in Murphy taking the third seat. He was not at risk of losing his seat.

Considering the drop off in FG support around the country, i think he did quite well for himself all things considered.

Quite a few of the Sinn Fein supporters on here don't understand the vagaries of the PR system, running multiple candidates etc.

Perhaps some of them are refugees from another jurisdiction with a first-past-the-post electoral system but it seems others didn't pay enough attention to Civics/CSPE at school.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

blanch152 wrote: »
    Quite a few of the Sinn Fein supporters on here don't understand the vagaries of the PR system, running multiple candidates etc.

Perhaps some of them are refugees from another jurisdiction with a first-past-the-post electoral system but it seems others didn't pay enough attention to Civics/CSPE at school.

Refugees from another jurisdiction. The bitterness and racism knows no levels with you

What does it matter where a human is from?

Refugees from another jurisdiction. The bitterness and racism knows no levels with you

Say what?

You are inventing things again.

Tell me something, as we are on the Sinn Fein thread, is Mary-Lou right to want to close the schools and keep the pubs and bookies open? Was Michelle right to close the schools in the North when all the medical evidence suggests that transmission is not taking place in schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It matters quite a lot.

"We declare the right of the people of Ireland to the ownership of Ireland and to the unfettered control of Irish destinies, to be sovereign and indefeasible. The long usurpation of that right by a foreign people and government has not extinguished the right, nor can it ever be extinguished except by the destruction of the Irish people"

Such racism, eh? :o

• Advertisement

Say what?

You are inventing things again.

Tell me something, as we are on the Sinn Fein thread, is Mary-Lou right to want to close the schools and keep the pubs and bookies open? Was Michelle right to close the schools in the North when all the medical evidence suggests that transmission is not taking place in schools?

Lying about Mary Lou and the pubs again, Leo wanted them open too.
    Yes she was correct to close the schools in the North, cases have risen in schools over the past few weeks. The stats are there to show that. The Govt up North have took the responsibilty to shut down and try get a grip of this virus

Our Govt are now 2 weeks ignoring what the medical experts tell us.

Your a racist, refugees. Anyone born on the island of Ireland is Irish if they want to be. Your ignorance won't change that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Thats a disgraceful post about fellow Irish People, even racist

votecounts wrote: »

Let's hope the mods do their job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

votecounts wrote: »

Calm your ass down. It is another jurisdiction. Most of them want to be British and they do not operate a PR system. Facts are not rascist just because they dont suit you

Calm your ass down. It is another jurisdiction. Most of them want to be British and they do not operate a PR system. Facts are not rascist just because they dont suit you

Have a read of the Good Friday Agreement

The GFA Recognised that it was the right of all persons born in Northern Ireland to identify as Irish or British, or both, and to hold both Irish and British citizenship if they so choose. This right is to continue regardless of any change in the status of Northern Ireland.

As Irish as me and you. Your racist mate Blanch won't change that fact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

A sizeable portion of them are Irish some of which are relatives, so sorry I don't like being referred to a refugees. Disgraceful post and gets defended.

Considering racism about fellow Irish people from a Green member who's party have members in the 6 counties, I'd expect better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

The GFA Recognised that it was the right of all persons born in Northern Ireland to identify as Irish or British, or both, and to hold both Irish and British citizenship if they so choose. This right is to continue regardless of any change in the status of Northern Ireland.

Again facts are

It is another jurisdiction.
    Most of them want to be British
    and they do not operate a PR system

Facts cannot be racist so read what you like, them's still the facts. Also true that you can identify as what ever you like. Still does not alter fact; THE DO NOT HAVE PR

Yes she was correct to close the schools in the North, cases have risen in schools over the past few weeks. The stats are there to show that. The Govt up North have took the responsibilty to shut down and try get a grip of this virus

Our Govt are now 2 weeks ignoring what the medical experts tell us.

From the WHO:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/question-and-answers-hub/q-a-detail/q-a-schools-and-covid-19?gclid=CjwKCAjwrKr8BRB_EiwA7eFapoEzOWhOyu4U99VQDGakkdtfKvBCf1GPSJ7LbXrv_A9jOZbGAYUSmBoC12kQAvD_BwE

"However, the small number of outbreaks reported among teaching or associated staff to date suggests that spread of COVID-19 within educational settings may be limited."

From the European Centre for Disease Control:

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/children-and-school-settings-covid-19-transmission

"Investigations of cases identified in school settings suggest that child to child transmission in schools is uncommon and not the primary cause of SARS-CoV-2 infection in children whose onset of infection coincides with the period during which they are attending school, particularly in preschools and primary schools."

"Available evidence also indicates that closures of childcare and educational institutions are unlikely to be an effective single control measure for community transmission of COVID-19 and such closures would be unlikely to provide significant additional protection of children’s health, since most develop a very mild form of COVID-19, if any."

From the Department of Education:

https://www.thejournal.ie/schools-open-2-5233372-Oct2020/

"Minister for Education Norma Foley said that schools are “safe places to be” and that they would continue to operate in the Republic.

Foley said her department received updated public health advice from the HSE only today and it showed that “all the available evidence” shows that schools “are not amplification settings” for the transmission of Covid-19. "

From published research:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7268273/

"As many countries begin to lift some of the restrictions to contain COVID-19 spread, lack of evidence of transmission in the school setting remains. We examined Irish notifications of SARS-CoV2 in the school setting before school closures on 12 March 2020 and identified no paediatric transmission. This adds to current evidence that children do not appear to be drivers of transmission, and we argue that reopening schools should be considered safe accompanied by certain measures."

This is just but a sample of the comprehensive medical evidence that schools are not playing a role in the transmission of the virus. It is baffling that Michelle O'Neill has closed the schools in the North and that Mary-Lou is calling for the schools to be closed in the South when all of the evidence suggests this is not necessary.

The only thing I can conclude is that they are playing to some gallery. I suspect the teacher unions are the intended audience as Sinn Fein have been infiltrating them for some time. Let us see how things play out but hopefully the pressure to close the schools will be resisted, but Sinn Fein will keep banging that populist drum against the medical evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Racism ? Where ?

Get a dictionary ! Seriously !

What bitterness ? What he said , is true and completely supported by comments made by pro Sinn Fein Supporters ,and their leaders on all platforms , since last March

Instead of knocking out words that you patently do not understand , perhaps rebut what he said ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Citizenship is mere paper ! Meaningless , especially when you never lived a day in the 26 counties - which is called Ireland

There’s a load of Yanks who by their parent or grandparent can lawfully call themselves Irish but never have set foot inside the island nor intend to

Your a racist, refugees. Anyone born on the island of Ireland is Irish if they want to be. Your ignorance won't change that

I have been astonished by your reaction to my post.

Firstly, I do not consider the word "refugee" to be either derogatory or racist. I welcome refugees to Ireland, I consider them equal human beings. That it might be considered an insulting term never even entered my mind - I don't understand your mindset in this regard.

Secondly, if I am talking about fellow Irish people as you state, then, by definition, the statement cannot be racist. The definition of racism is contained in the Equal Status Acts:

http://revisedacts.lawreform.ie/eli/2000/act/8/revised/en/html

"that they are of different race, colour, nationality or ethnic or national origins (the “ground of race”),"

Drew Harris won't be too impressed when he hears partitionist's in the 26 counties are referring to him as a "refugee from another jurisdiction" :pac:

I could have sworn blanch was telling us all he "was as Irish as the rest of us" or something similar a few days ago.

I have been astonished by your reaction to my post.

Firstly, I do not consider the word "refugee" to be either derogatory or racist. I welcome refugees to Ireland, I consider them equal human beings. That it might be considered an insulting term never even entered my mind - I don't understand your mindset in this regard.

Secondly, if I am talking about fellow Irish people as you state, then, by definition, the statement cannot be racist. The definition of racism is contained in the Equal Status Acts:

http://revisedacts.lawreform.ie/eli/2000/act/8/revised/en/html

"that they are of different race, colour, nationality or ethnic or national origins (the “ground of race”),"

Did you not try and insinuate it was racist and xenophobic tendencies alone that questioned the commissioners suitability for his role? Lol. :D

You're losing it blanch, and you're forgetting what you have been previously espousing too.

Felipe Fillop strikes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Yes GAA club championships have been super spreader events around my area anyway and obviously after pub celebrations with the age profile mix of young and old its wildfires in the community then
    McMurphy wrote: »
    I suspect you're right bishop, a few weeks back at the end of county championship time, I had several WhatsApp videos of a hurling senior team celebrations, a junior football team celebrations, a minor football and senior football celebrations, all rival clubs from about an 8 like radius of each other going mad, partying in a few houses - jammed to the rafters with lads and ladies drinking and singing in unison.

Matt Carthy asked on Radio 1 at lunchtime if he thought GAA games should be cancelled. He claimed not to be aware of evidence that GAA matches were causing a problem. SF again refusing to say what action they think should be taken.

A health official (I missed her name) asked the same question had a more honest and nuanced answer: matches aren't problem but afters are.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,948 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

rdwight wrote: »
    Matt Carthy asked on Radio 1 at lunchtime if he thought GAA games should be cancelled. He claimed not to be aware of evidence that GAA matches were causing a problem. SF again refusing to say what action they think should be taken.

A health official (I missed her name) asked the same question had a more honest and nuanced answer: matches aren't problem but afters are.

So Carthy was right about matches then. There is nothng to suggest they are the problem.

The 'afters' are the same as any social gathering.

rdwight wrote: »

To be fair to Carthy, t's not the GAA matches, it's the people who go to others homes to celebrate afterwards, Rangers beat Celtic earlier, you can bet your mortgage that there will be rangers fans congregating and partying tonight in each others homes. Should we ban Scottish football too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I have moved fron the North to the South and i would love to have a racist scumbag call me a "Refugee" to my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Kowerski

So Carthy was right about matches then. There is nothng to suggest they are the problem.

The 'afters' are the same as any social gathering.

Was he? the people of cavan seem to disagree

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/gaa-activity-seen-as-a-major-reason-for-cavan-covid-surge-1.4381130

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Reading the last couple of pages, one certain poster made a disgraceful comment and yet is allowed stand by the mods. Another keyboard warrior who would not have the backbone to go into any nationalist area and call them "refugees".
    I'll leave it at that because if I say anything, I'll get a ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

tipptom wrote: »
    I have moved fron the North to the South and i would love to have a racist scumbag call me a "Refugee" to my face.
    wouldn't dare, safe behind his keyboard

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement