Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,958 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Seriously? Is that the best you can do? :)

Any chance you would tell that Palestinian he is Israeli because he was born in Jerusalem?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,955 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Any chance you would tell that Palestinian he is Israeli because he was born in Jerusalem?

Palestinians don't recognise Israel blanch they would get upset to be called Israeli not to mention what Israel has done.
    Try and understand this stuff on your own island.

Stop trying to search out exceptions...makes you look desperate.

I have never seen a Palestinian react to someone saying that...I'd imagine it would be similar to a Southern partitionist telling somebody born in Fermanagh that they were British?

Yeh?

No, Francie,

it is similar to you telling Unionists they are Irish.

Palestinians don't recognise Israel blanch they would get upset to be called Israeli not to mention what Israel has done.
    Try and understand this stuff on your own island.

Stop trying to search out exceptions...makes you look desperate.

Well, you could also try telling a Muslim in Kashmir that he is Indian.

No, Francie,

it is similar to you telling Unionists they are Irish.

I've never told a Unionist they are Irish. Like I keep saying, if you meet two people born on the island of Ireland you assume they are Irish (and most of the world does this) they HAVE to tell you what they identify as.

• Advertisement

I've never told a Unionist they are Irish. Like I keep saying, if you meet two people born on the island of Ireland you assume they are Irish (and most of the world does this) they HAVE to tell you what they identify as.

I don't. If I hear someone with a Northern accent, I assume they are Northern Irish, as do most people I know.

Getting back on topic, seeing as Sinn Fein appear to disagree with the Stormont government over the Covid-19 measures in the North, are they going to bring down Stormont over this crisis, or do they save that for really important issues like the Irish language act?

I don't. If I hear someone with a Northern accent, I assume they are Northern Irish, as do most people I know.

Getting back on topic, seeing as Sinn Fein appear to disagree with the Stormont government over the Covid-19 measures in the North, are they going to bring down Stormont over this crisis, or do they save that for really important issues like the Irish language act?

You're nearly there..Northern IRISH.

Don't know the answer to your other question.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

So you assume they are from the northern part of the island of Ireland.......

Think that one through for a while chief. :D

McMurphy wrote: »

Like most Irish people we are all able to be area/region specific. I'd know a Southern Irish man or woman too.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

Seriously? Is that the best you can do? :)

Man down! Man down!
    Tango Echo Lima Alpha, I repeat, Man down!
    Send backup!
    Send backup!

Francie, you are not Irish simply because you were born on the island of Ireland.

You can post it here as many times as you like, it won’t make it true.

• Advertisement

atticu wrote: »
    Man down! Man down!
    Tango Echo Lima Alpha, I repeat, Man down!
    Send backup!
    Send backup!

Francie, you are not Irish simply because you were born on the island of Ireland.

Like the other guy who walked into his own haymaker on this... there are exceptions to everything, you found ONE. Well done, medal is in the post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

What is the problem people have with folk in the 6 counties identifying as Irish or British as per the GFA? Some even identify themselves as Northern Irish if you ask them.

It's 2020 not the 1980s

What is the problem people have with folk in the 6 counties identifying as Irish or British as per the GFA? Some even identify themselves as Northern Irish if you ask them.

It's 2020 not the 1980s

Unionism in the 90's and 00's developed a hate of being called Irish or anything Irish and our partitionists and Unionist sympathisers in the south feel duty bound to support them. Ian Paisley's generation or even David Trimble's had no problems been seen as Irish, indeed they were fully aware that they were seen that way, off the island.

I see backup arrived.

I don’t know what point you are trying to make here.

Are you trying to imply that if someone is from the northern part of the island of Ireland that this automatically makes them Irish?

Like the other guy who walked into his own haymaker on this... there are exceptions to everything, you found ONE. Well done, medal is in the post.

Aaahhhh, Francie...

You have had to admit that you are wrong.
    That is so sad. 😞

Bless!

Aaahhhh, Francie...

That is so sad. 😞

Bless!

Yes...I wasn't talking about the 'exceptions'.

Try again.

I see backup arrived.

Are you trying to imply that if someone is from the northern part of the island of Ireland that this automatically makes them Irish?

Did you read back that sentence? :)

Did you read back that sentence? :)

Francie, you are like a dog with a bone that it can’t leave.

Just because you are born somewhere does NOT entitle you to citizenship.

We covered this a few minutes ago, yet here you are again trying to argue that it does.

We covered this a few minutes ago, yet here you are again trying to argue that it does.

I never said anything about citizenship...citizenship is a legal issue.

There were Irish people before there were legal clauses about citizenship.

Go again there atticu, tis you who is searching around trying to find a bone, but can't.

I see backup arrived.

Once again reading comprehension issues come to the fore.....

No not at all, but you need to reread what was posted, and how I replied to it.

Blanch assumed (not me) when he heard someone with a northern accent that they "were northern Irish" - they could be Ethnic Albanians for all I care - but they're still from a specific area of Ireland, accents and all to prove it.

Hence why I said he assumed they where from the northern part of the island of Ireland, that's not difficult to follow tbh, but let me know what part you're struggling with and I'll run over it with you.

• Advertisement

I never said anything about citizenship...citizenship is a legal issue.

There were Irish people before there were legal clauses about citizenship.

Go again there atticu, tis you who is searching around trying to find a bone, but can't.

Aaahhhh, Francie...

That is so sad. 😞

Bless!
    Yes...I wasn't talking about the 'exceptions'.

Try again.

Francie, you need to read what you post.

Just because you are born on the island of Ireland, don’t mean you are Irish, does not matter what accent you have.

Next you are going to try and tell me that if someone is born with male genitalia that this makes them a man.

Next you are going to try and tell me that if someone is born with male genitalia that this makes them a man.

When he is born, before he can identify otherwise, what does a doctor call the baby, 'male or female'?

Try again atticu.

Once again reading comprehension issues come to the fore.....

No not at all, but you need to reread what was posted, and how I replied to it.

Blanch assumed (not me) when he heard someone with a northern accent that they "were northern Irish" - they could be Ethnic Albanians for all I care - but they're still from a specific area of Ireland, accents and all to prove it.

Hence why I said he assumed they where from the northern part of the island of Ireland, that's not difficult to follow tbh, but let me know what part you're struggling with and I'll run over it with you.

The good thing is that you have clarified that just because someone is born on the island of Ireland, and has an accent from the island of Ireland that this does not make them Irish.

It seems that we actually agree on something.

Strange that you are disagreeing with Francie, but there you go.

The good thing is that you have clarified that just because someone is born on the island of Ireland, and has an accent from the island of Ireland that this does not make them Irish.

It seems that we actually agree on something.

Strange that you are disagreeing with Francie, but there you go.

Alas wrong again.

This part.

No-one said it did, you're arguing agsinst an argument no-one made and looking all the sillier for doing so.

Alas wrong again.

This part.

No-one said it did, you're arguing agsinst an argument no-one made and looking all the sillier for doing so.

So, you are saying that if you are born in England, you are English, and if you are born in China, you are Chinese, and if you are born in Fiji you are Fijian, and if you are born in Ireland you are Irish.
    It does not matter what the circumstances, it does not matter who your parents are, nothing else matters, just if you are born in a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

New hymn sheet has been delivered out to the foot soldiers

Sinn Fein are now the 'leaders of the opposition'

So, you are saying that if you are born in England, you are English, and if you are born in China, you are Chinese, and if you are born in Fiji you are Fijian, and if you are born in Ireland you are Irish.
    It does not matter what the circumstances, it does not matter who your parents are, nothing else matters, just if you are born in a country.

Where am I saying that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Cant muster much interest in this debate. For what it is worth, the Duke of Wellington on being told he was Irish because he was born in Dublin retorted that if you are born in a stable it does not make you a horse. Hope this clears it all up for whatever this discussion is about.i

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭maccored

New hymn sheet has been delivered out to the foot soldiers

Sinn Fein are now the 'leaders of the opposition'

They have been for years now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Truthvader wrote: »
    Cant muster much interest in this debate. For what it is worth, the Duke of Wellington on being told he was Irish because he was born in Dublin retorted that if you are born in a stable it does not make you a horse. Hope this clears it all up for whatever this discussion is about.i

totally agree - but is anyone arguing that people aren't allowed the option to choose? I think it has been bent out of shape - focusing on the idea that you are irish if you are born in ireland, rather than what it was about in the first place. Its a form of defence thats used alot on here, though which I find terribly boring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement