Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need a drill that can handle drilling Ceramic tile.

• 26-08-2020 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭

I’m looking to buy a good drill that can handle drilling bathroom tiles or concrete.

I have Bosch PSB 18 li2 which is in no way up to the job . I’m using expert ceramic drillbits and it takes 20min for 1 hole.

Any recommendations for something that would make Swiss cheese out of ceramic tile or concrete?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I’m looking to buy a good drill that can handle drilling bathroom tiles or concrete.

I have Bosch PSB 18 li2 which is in no way up to the job . I’m using expert ceramic drillbits and it takes 20min for 1 hole.

Any recommendations for something that would make Swiss cheese out of ceramic tile or concrete?

If that won’t do the job I think your best bet is to go with some with a plug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Seve OB wrote: »
    If that won’t do the job I think your best bet is to go with some with a plug

I was thinking the same but not sure which to get. I was thinking something with over 1000w but I don’t know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Throw the Carbide bits in the bin.
    The absolute best drill bits for tiles are the Diamond core bits, yes even the cheap chinese ones will outcut a carbide bit by a huge margin.
    Just make sure that they are kept lubed with water, if they get hot the brazing fails and the diamonds fall out.
    Use a water bottle, sprayer or a sponge if its vertical or overhead and a plasticine wall around one in the floor works well.
    These can be got in various sizes, I got a pack of 3mm-20mm for less than 20 euro on ebay.
    image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭mick121

Drill should be fine,spend your money on good tile drill bits also find out if the tiles are porcelain or marble as ceramic is soft enough

It’s a new build and theses are the tiles, maybe not ceramic?

They are very thick

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=524405&stc=1&d=1598469409

• Advertisement

Found out they are porcelain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Found out they are porcelain.

Do yourself a favour and get the core drills. Porcelain is hard to drill, I have wasted a lot of time and money trying to drill them with carbide bits.
    When I discovered Diamond core drills it was a revelation.
    Start them on an angle to make a C shaped cut and then bring the drill up to vertical for the hole.
    Keep it watered well, and go slow they cut fast enough without excess pressure and speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Borrowed time

Bees wax or even candle wax in the core bit makes it easier as well.Last time is was drilling holes for 1/2 inch pipes I just broke a bit of candle and placed it in the head of the drill bit.Worked great.

Thanks, I ordered diamond coated core drill bits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I drill dozens of holes in tiles every day with a rechargeable screw gun. It's not your drill that is letting you down, it's your drill bits. As posted already, you need diamond edge dry drill bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Love those bits. Have a set a year now. Theyre excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd say one of the drill guides like this one

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/erbauer-diamond-tile-drill-guide/84524?gclid=Cj0KCQjws536BRDTARIsANeUZ59cVPVAb0B02vFF5MawJKXL6bkONOobFFGgDdkp-uGbrnEvv-Bw1rIaAkoxEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

would be a good idea. They look pretty tricky to start without slipping otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Alun wrote: »

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/erbauer-diamond-tile-drill-guide/84524?gclid=Cj0KCQjws536BRDTARIsANeUZ59cVPVAb0B02vFF5MawJKXL6bkONOobFFGgDdkp-uGbrnEvv-Bw1rIaAkoxEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

would be a good idea. They look pretty tricky to start without slipping otherwise.

Gotta start them at an angle, slowly and carefully. I've drilled hundreds of holes without a guide. Just takes a bit of practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Alun wrote: »

Very easy to use without guide, only speaking about a 6mm.
    The diamond bit when used at a angle cut right into the tile, no slipping. Try on a scrap bit of tile first.

I got two in chadwicks for €24ish each, I find after the seventh hole they become blunt but can still be used but take much longer, so dont be tempted to force them in as the heat will crack the tile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

I doubt Charlie haughey is doing much drilling with his expensive shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Xtrail14 wrote: »
    I doubt Charlie haughey is doing much drilling with his expensive shirts.
    You wha?

(he may have done more drilling than in his time than you suspect though with his power, charm and influence)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Any decent masonry bit will drill cleanly into tiles... Very important to put masking tape on, mark your hole and drill. NO hammer action setting.

Update

The Diamond coated Drill bits I ordered from Amazon cut through the tiles like butter.

Thanks for the hint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Hello all,
    Checking if somebody could assist in advising how to cut porcelain tiles to shape for around a toilet bowl? I know the very obvious answer will be to lift the toilet bowl but this thing ain't going anywhere. The floor was raised approx 25mm with a sand and cement screed years back for a previous tiling job to bring it up to the same level as the higher hall floor at that stage. The screws heads are buried at the bottom of that sand and cement screed. I fear any attempt to chip back that sand and cement screed with my hammer drill would result in me cracking the toilet bowl.

There is a separate toilet bowl and waste attached to the ground. The toilet bowl is curved at its sides as it touches the ground but is also has a curved profile vertically tapering inwards as it rises at floor level. I'm laying the porcelain tiles diagonally. They are 150mm by 150mm and 8mm thick. It is proving very difficult to cut them to shape around the bowl. I have 2 cut roughly and when I say roughly I mean roughly using an angle grinder with a 115mm cutting blade. Main problem is cutting to account for the curve going up the toiled bowl. To do a vertical cut would mean a notable gap at the top of the tile due to the sharp enough upward curve on the toilet. Ideally I think I'm looking for something that will file the tile efficiently at that curved angle and also on the curve around the tile. Working with a hand file I reckon I would be there for a few days bringing one tile to shape. I'm thinking a filing blade for the angle grinder but not sure if there is such a thing available. B&Q, Heiton Buckley's and few big tiling shops don't have them anyway, only cutting blades which don't seem ideal for shaping in my scenario. I'm wondering if hiring out a wet saw would do the job for me? Any assistance on how the tilers tackle such a scenario greatly appreciated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I have 2 cut roughly and when I say roughly I mean roughly using an angle grinder with a 115mm cutting blade. Main problem is cutting to account for the curve going up the toiled bowl. To do a vertical cut would mean a notable gap at the top of the tile due to the sharp enough upward curve on the toilet.

Since lifting the bowl isn't an option sounds like you're on the right track. Angle grinder with 115mm cutting blade the only way to go, you'll have to allow for the upward curve grinding more of the underside of the tile than on the surface, cut from both sides if needed, will give an easier cut and also reduce the risk of cracking the tile. A toilet bowl has a nice big circumference so plenty of room for the cutting blade to maneuver.

You should be able to cut vitually everything with a 115mm blade, here's a couple of awkward cuts I did some time back around an extractor fan and bench seat.

HD5d5Ntm.jpg

HOTQgzpm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Hello all,
    Checking if somebody could assist in advising how to cut porcelain tiles to shape for around a toilet bowl? I know the very obvious answer will be to lift the toilet bowl but this thing ain't going anywhere. The floor was raised approx 25mm with a sand and cement screed years back for a previous tiling job to bring it up to the same level as the higher hall floor at that stage. The screws heads are buried at the bottom of that sand and cement screed. I fear any attempt to chip back that sand and cement screed with my hammer drill would result in me cracking the toilet bowl.

There is a separate toilet bowl and waste attached to the ground. The toilet bowl is curved at its sides as it touches the ground but is also has a curved profile vertically tapering inwards as it rises at floor level. I'm laying the porcelain tiles diagonally. They are 150mm by 150mm and 8mm thick. It is proving very difficult to cut them to shape around the bowl. I have 2 cut roughly and when I say roughly I mean roughly using an angle grinder with a 115mm cutting blade. Main problem is cutting to account for the curve going up the toiled bowl. To do a vertical cut would mean a notable gap at the top of the tile due to the sharp enough upward curve on the toilet. Ideally I think I'm looking for something that will file the tile efficiently at that curved angle and also on the curve around the tile. Working with a hand file I reckon I would be there for a few days bringing one tile to shape. I'm thinking a filing blade for the angle grinder but not sure if there is such a thing available. B&Q, Heiton Buckley's and few big tiling shops don't have them anyway, only cutting blades which don't seem ideal for shaping in my scenario. I'm wondering if hiring out a wet saw would do the job for me? Any assistance on how the tilers tackle such a scenario greatly appreciated?

You could cut around the floor first just outside the base of the toilet with an angle grinder so you don't have to do much if any hammering on the porcelain.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement