Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staircase painting - Limerick

• 26-08-2020 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Could anyone recommend a painter who could paint our wooden staircase?

Also what's the expected price for this job?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

CF Property Services, should be able to find their contact information on Facebook even if not registered on it.

I ended up doing it myself 2 months ago, horrible job needing BIN Seal, undercoat, top coats, sanding and because I wanted my posts and rails to be stained mahogany then it added way more time. I couldn't justify the quotes of between 400-500 from two companies so did it myself but in hindsight, if I ever had another house I'd pay somebody.

I also carpeted afterwards so didn't paint the steps themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Similar to Berty I did mine myself. It's a horrible job. To do it right it takes nearly a day per coat in a standard semi detached house. A lot of painter want to stay away from them just to forewarn you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks guys. I will contact a professional now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

I thought about doing it myself, treads and handrail are walnut so just wanted those varnished up, and then I wanted the rest painted in white/cream. Decided to get a painter as the other posters said, it's a time consuming project. I used http://www.sebastian-painter.com/

He did a fantastic job, and it's still perfect 5 years later. I can't remember what I paid but I'm sure it was in the 500 euro amount, but honestly worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Berty wrote: »
    I ended up doing it myself 2 months ago, horrible job needing BIN Seal, undercoat, top coats, sanding and because I wanted my posts and rails to be stained mahogany then it added way more time. I couldn't justify the quotes of between 400-500 from two companies so did it myself but in hindsight, if I ever had another house I'd pay somebody.
    +1 on this.

I done the same a few months ago and never again.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

h3000 wrote: »
    +1 on this.

I done the same a few months ago and never again.

Thankfully we don't have to ever again, just touch ups. I needed it done before the carpet went down, missus forgot to get him to measure an entire room so cost went up 500 quid so had to cancel a painter costing 500 quid.

Horrible job as my staircase has two sides to the landing so way more wood and the underside is also open so that's more again. It needed to be extremely neat because it's fairly obvious to look at. Took me 5 days or so.

Advertisement