Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting staircase : ideas and costs

Options
  • 26-08-2020 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭

Hello,

What's the approximate price to paint a wooden staircase in a semi-D house? It's in a new built house and therefore staircase was never painted earlier.

I will also appreciate ideas around what kind of paint to be used? Varnish? Etc. Looking for a wooden finish and long lasting.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

You're doing a great job on that house by the sounds of it.

Varnish, paint. Maybe €100 and it will last for ages. Only catch is you'll be doing it yourself.

For a painter.. Im not sure. It won't be the most expensive job but you'll see how quickly the little costs all add up. You'll also need to agree how many coats. They might quote for 1 when 2 or even 3 might be preferable.

I did a lot of painting in my house, incl 3 coats on the stairs and it's such a joyless task. Can be quite messy too. If it's only the stairs, get a quote. If you bring a photo of the stairs to a paint shop they can advise on the type of paint and number of coats but remember some painters prefer to supply their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks a million.

After getting feedback from different Boards members I ended up hiring a painter who will charge 500€ inclusive everything and it will be 2 coats, sanding, etc. Got a nice paint from colourtrend also.
    antix80 wrote: »
    You're doing a great job on that house by the sounds of it.

Varnish, paint. Maybe €100 and it will last for ages. Only catch is you'll be doing it yourself.

For a painter.. Im not sure. It won't be the most expensive job but you'll see how quickly the little costs all add up. You'll also need to agree how many coats. They might quote for 1 when 2 or even 3 might be preferable.

I did a lot of painting in my house, incl 3 coats on the stairs and it's such a joyless task. Can be quite messy too. If it's only the stairs, get a quote. If you bring a photo of the stairs to a paint shop they can advise on the type of paint and number of coats but remember some painters prefer to supply their own.

Advertisement