Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes OP [17/10/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Surprised we are actually getting Donny van de Beek, he was being linked to Barcelona a while back and even more recently with the managerial change.

For 40mill we are getting a decent deal in today’s market too.

Hopefully not getting my hopes up but reports saying he is doing/did his medical now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Well its been reported again today in Spain that talks are still ongoing. Dont know weather to believe it or not

It's bollox unfortunately. It's a Twitter page in Spanish saying it's a radio station. Save yourself the heart break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

RasTa wrote: »
    Zero chance he was 11/10 in June

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/news/soccer/manchester-united-given-110-odds-sign-ajaxs-donny-van-de-beek/

Article is dated June 2020

+110 = 11/10 if I'm not mistaken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

RasTa wrote: »
    Zero chance he was 11/10 in June

100% confirmed he was 11/10 in June.

Attached part of the ID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hearing a rumour United to bid for Thiago

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Hearing a rumour United to bid for Thiago
    You don't do twitter do you? The rumour is a few days old at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Aside from anything else, the VDB transfer absolutely hammers home that nobody outside of the club has a scooby doo about the transfers. It came completely out of nowhere and is pretty much signed, sealed and delivered within 24 hours of being first reported. Thats how transfers should be done, no protracted courtship, no public poker game, just sit down, agree a price and get the fcuking thing done.

The club might not have known we were signing him until this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭BenK

The club might not have known we were signing him until this week.

I understand the cynicism but the club do deserve some credit for this transfer if it's completed. It's not fair to knock them for not making transfers and then when they do make one imply that it just fell into their laps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

You don't do twitter do you? The rumour is a few days old at this stage.

It would appear that Twitter is alight with rumour that we're going to submit the 30m bid, and Bayern will accept (as they've already said they will if someone meets the valuation), and leave it to the player to decide.

But I can't see the original source.

• Advertisement

There's also chatter of Galatasary making a loan bid for Fred.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Aside from anything else, the VDB transfer absolutely hammers home that nobody outside of the club has a scooby doo about the transfers. It came completely out of nowhere and is pretty much signed, sealed and delivered within 24 hours of being first reported. Thats how transfers should be done, no protracted courtship, no public poker game, just sit down, agree a price and get the fcuking thing done.

Its the same literally every single window in the Utd thread. It could be week one of the window and a rival team signs a player and the complaining and panic starts from some corners.

I have no doubt Utd have multiple targets they are working on or monitoring, some of these will get to making contact stage, to making a bid to bid being agreed. Some will never make that far and it will be due to a multitude of reasons we are not privy too and never will be.

Its best not to invest to much emotion in it as its so unpredictable but I laugh when I see some of the remarks. Just last week some were certain that Ole wouldn't be backed this window and we would have an emergency signing in January and Ole would be gone by the end of the season because the Glazers are happy with top 4 only and Ole wont put up a fight against the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Seen on Twitter United have been linked with a takeover from the Ortega family in Spain. Richest family in europe and 5th richest in the world with a wealth of 78bn. Probably bullsh!t

The days when we were nailed on for a Batigol/Ortega double ‘swoop’. Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    It would appear that Twitter is alight with rumour that we're going to submit the 30m bid, and Bayern will accept (as they've already said they will if someone meets the valuation), and leave it to the player to decide.

But I can't see the original source.

the club would be asking thiago first would he be interested in a move, if he said yes and they wanted him then they would put the bid in..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

bangkok wrote: »
    the club would be asking thiago first would he be interested in a move, if he said yes and they wanted him then they would put the bid in..

I'd agree, and it would go for any transfer the club would be pursuing. Generally speaking the official bid would be one of the later steps in the process, especially when dealing with clubs who are obliged to report official bids.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Fair play to Rashford for his continual presence of fighting child food poverty. Social media can be a cesspit at the best of times, good to see he's using his profile for the greater good.

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1300689898471591936?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Its the same literally every single window in the Utd thread. It could be week one of the window and a rival team signs a player and the complaining and panic starts from some corners.

I have no doubt Utd have multiple targets they are working on or monitoring, some of these will get to making contact stage, to making a bid to bid being agreed. Some will never make that far and it will be due to a multitude of reasons we are not privy too and never will be.

Its best not to invest to much emotion in it as its so unpredictable but I laugh when I see some of the remarks. Just last week some were certain that Ole wouldn't be backed this window and we would have an emergency signing in January and Ole would be gone by the end of the season because the Glazers are happy with top 4 only and Ole wont put up a fight against the board.

I don’t completely disagree with some of your sentiments. I’m not so much frustrated with this transfer window then I am in the compounded result of 7 years of windows. Apportioning money towards the football side of thing is just one part of an owners responsibility. How that money is then spent and used is also the owners responsibility.

I believe they are terrible owners For fans of both their clubs. I don’t think they have put in place the kind of structure on the football side to help us utilize our financial muscle. There is no reason why we can’t be at least like Chelsea or Liverpool who at least qualify for the CL more then us. Managerial appointment do not explain Uniteds very poor return for the money spent the last 7 seasons.

I don’t think they could of done a worse job with the way they have chosen managers , recruited and sold players if they tried when you look at how much has been invested in these areas. Constantly pulling Squads apart, extending contracts of players who are not good enough, awful wage structure, poor return on sale on resale of players, lots of top players who get unsettled very quickly, mismash of managerial appointments, the list goes on. It’s up to the club to create an environment for a manager to thrive. Like city, Liverpool and even Chelsea appear to be able to do. It’s not just buying players, it’s about having a Vision for the club and supplying the best to make that vision work.

That’s why I have no faith in the owners or Woodward. They have consistently shown a lack of competency at getting the team to a standard that it should be given the financial outlay. I would say Man United has one of the worst returns per spend in the world for the last 7 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Fair play to Rashford for his continual presence of fighting child food poverty. Social media can be a cesspit at the best of times, good to see he's using his profile for the greater good.

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1300689898471591936?s=20

as-much-as-i-respect-what-rashford-is-doing-you-have-to-question-pogbas-attitude-on-all-this.jpg

Drumpot wrote: »
    I don’t completely disagree with some of your sentiments. I’m not so much frustrated with this transfer window then I am in the compounded result of 7 years of windows. Apportioning money towards the football side of thing is just one part of an owners responsibility. How that money is then spent and used is also the owners responsibility.

I believe they are terrible owners For fans of both their clubs. I don’t think they have put in place the kind of structure on the football side to help us utilize our financial muscle. There is no reason why we can’t be at least like Chelsea or Liverpool who at least qualify for the CL more then us. Managerial appointment do not explain Uniteds very poor return for the money spent the last 7 seasons.

I don’t think they could of done a worse job with the way they have chosen managers , recruited and sold players if they tried when you look at how much has been invested in these areas. Constantly pulling Squads apart, extending contracts of players who are not good enough, awful wage structure, poor return on sale on resale of players, lots of top players who get unsettled very quickly, mismash of managerial appointments, the list goes on. It’s up to the club to create an environment for a manager to thrive. Like city, Liverpool and even Chelsea appear to be able to do. It’s not just buying players, it’s about having a Vision for the club and supplying the best to make that vision work.

That’s why I have no faith in the owners or Woodward. They have consistently shown a lack of competency at getting the team to a standard that it should be given the financial outlay. I would say Man United has one of the worst returns per spend in the world for the last 7 years.

I commented on how people get frustrated and and tend to over react in every transfer window when we have no visibility in whats happening with transfers. You've sort of gone through a quick history of the Glazers last 7 years. Different conversation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

If the Smalling deal goes through then it's only a matter of time before Fabrizio gives a 'here we go' for one of Pau Torres, Upamenaco or Badiashile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

If the Smalling deal goes through then it's only a matter of time before Fabrizio gives a 'here we go' for one of Pau Torres, Upamenaco or Badiashile.

Its only a matter of time before Smalling leaves tbh, all parties want the move to go through so its just a case of dotting the I's and crossing the T's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Van de Beek plans on wearing 34 for United in tribute to ex-teammate Abdel Nouri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

https://twitter.com/DailyMailUK/status/1300808162891706369?s=19

Yeah, I can totally see maguire shouting that.

Next week we'll hear he said the acropolis was sh1t.

“Aristotle ain't got sh1t on Jaden Smith.... WHO ARE YA! "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Dave0301

The whole story just gets more odd the more that comes out about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Daily Mail, not like them to try and sell papers...

Rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'd have preferred if they said he screamed I AM SPARTACUS!!!!!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

After putting 40+ hours into Assassins Creed Odyssey I can confirm that is something someone Greek would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The Athletics inside story on the VdB transfer paints both the powers that be at united and ole in very good light.

After putting 40+ hours into Assassins Creed Odyssey I can confirm that is something someone Greek would say.

Malaka!

Loved that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

S.M.B. wrote: »
    The Athletics inside story on the VdB transfer paints both the powers that be at united and ole in very good light.

Judge and Ole in particular come out with a huge amount of credit from that

What does it say?

What does it say?
    His agency met with a few major English clubs at the time Ajax were playing Spurs just to develop relationships with key decision makers and apparently they got on very well with Judge.

After the breakdown of the move to Madrid earlier in the summer VdB wanted to discuss the potential move with Ole and the article says that by the end of the conversation he was convinced that United was the right move.

The above two combined with the few other United / Ajax connections we are all aware of made it an easy transfer to wrap up quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The funny thing is people actually believe it:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Socrates the little **** couldn’t handle his hemlock

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

The proviso was made though that they got very lucky, perversely, with the COVID19 pandemic making a mess of VDB's move to Madrid.

This could be their Mark Robins goal moment.

His agency met with a few major English clubs at the time Ajax were playing Spurs just to develop relationships with key decision makers and apparently they got on very well with Judge.

After the breakdown of the move to Madrid earlier in the summer VdB wanted to discuss the potential move with Ole and the article says that by the end of the conversation he was convinced that United was the right move.

The above two combined with the few other United / Ajax connections we are all aware of made it an easy transfer to wrap up quickly.

the article does say all of that.

It also says Judge is making an excellent rep for himself with agents. And the guy that insures transfers go smoothly.

So i'm taking that article with massive helping of Salt, to be honest. Doesn't jive, at all, with what we have seen on Maguire, AWB, Bruno or indeed Sancho transfers - which have all made the club look rather stupid.

Feels like that article was more PR puff piece than a recounting of reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

duffman13 wrote: »
    Judge and Ole in particular come out with a huge amount of credit from that

Sounds like good club PR , one transfer in the last 4 or 5 that has gone smoothly and under the radar,

I think he's a great buy and I reckon by the time the season reaches January he will be in the starting team week in week out in front of a certain Pogba,

Not as talented but will perform to a high level week in week out with no baggage and more of a team player,

I think he will become vital to United's starting 11,

It also says Judge is making an excellent rep for himself with agents. And the guy that insures transfers go smoothly.

So i'm taking that article with massive helping of Salt, to be honest. Doesn't jive, at all, with what we have seen on Maguire, AWB, Bruno or indeed Sancho transfers - which have all made the club look rather stupid.

It is odd and it doesn't really align with what we've seen when it comes to those other transfers.

I'm curious as to what the actual truth is, it wouldn't look good for the athletic if it was all briefed spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Sounds like good club PR , one transfer in the last 4 or 5 that has gone smoothly and under the radar,

I think he's a great buy and I reckon by the time the season reaches January he will be in the starting team week in week out in front of a certain Pogba,

Not as talented but will perform to a high level week in week out with no baggage and more of a team player,

I think he will become vital to United's starting 11,

I dont see any scenario where Ole drops a fit and available Pogba, ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I don't think that's fully accurate, while its mostly true, they left out the bits where he had a go at George Michael, and voiced his disdain for Feta cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

On second reading it very much feels like a puff piece, as someone else mentioned, not a good look for the Athletic and their brand. I like the Athletic and would take a lot of stuff at face value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I don't see how any of them have made the club look stupid? All went through without a hitch. It's probably a case with Sancho that the club feel their valuation is different to Dortmund's and they can play the long game.

Just because they didn't sign the players when you wanted them to doesn't mean they looked stupid when they submitted the bids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

has to be said, Ole since he has come in and signed wisely, players who fit in with his long term vision for the club. great to see

Liam O wrote: »
    I don't see how any of them have made the club look stupid? All went through without a hitch. It's probably a case with Sancho that the club feel their valuation is different to Dortmund's and they can play the long game.

Just because they didn't sign the players when you wanted them to doesn't mean they looked stupid when they submitted the bids.

maguire - took an entire summer to sign our number 1 target, for basically the price asked for at the begining. All up front.

AWB - took an age to agree to pay the price Palace asked for at the beginning. All up front.

Bruno - messed about in the summer. Took all january to sign essentially our only target and he missed a bunch of games he could have had an impact in.

I don't think any of those transfers can be characterised as 'smooth'. And yes, I think Maguire missing all pre-season with United to save essentially no money I think does paint 'when' as being poor from the club.

Sancho has been the clubs primary target for 18 months.... and its at a stalemate.

Nothing of the club in the last 18 months is showing the club as being competent, proactive or smooth when it comes to trasnfers. Every transfer apart from this VDB one has been a saga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭recyclops

maguire - took an entire summer to sign our number 1 target, for basically the price asked for at the begining. All up front.

AWB - took an age to agree to pay the price Palace asked for at the beginning. All up front.

Bruno - messed about in the summer. Took all january to sign essentially our only target and he missed a bunch of games he could have had an impact in.

I don't think any of those transfers can be characterised as 'smooth'. And yes, I think Maguire missing all pre-season with United to save essentially no money I think does paint 'when' as being poor from the club.

Sancho has been the clubs primary target for 18 months.... and its at a stalemate.

Nothing of the club in the last 18 months is showing the club as being competent, proactive or smooth when it comes to trasnfers. Every transfer apart from this VDB one has been a saga.

I remember that time i bought a house, walked in and picked up on the day.

oh no wait, I had to have contracts read reread and signed ( thats without addons or anything else), i have to have the place surveyed, I had to jump through a tonne of hoops to get it over the line and all that was when there was a set asking price and one interested party.

Regardless of peoples believes be that a certain paper, journalist or what the club says the only way you will know how smooth, competent or proactive the club are with transfers is if your in the room when they happen.

Gone are the days of gentlemens agreements and signings on the day, this stuff takes time, its why I tend to get away from football for two months during the summer ( not this year) and let the players land where they land, doing anything else would drive a person demented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

kerplun k wrote: »
    I don't think that's fully accurate, while its mostly true, they left out the bits where he had a go at George Michael, and voiced his disdain for Feta cheese.

And he was singing, "you can stick your Elgin Marbles up you ar$e"
    Allegedly.

recyclops wrote: »
    I remember that time i bought a house, walked in and picked up on the day.

oh no wait, I had to have contracts read reread and signed ( thats without addons or anything else), i have to have the place surveyed, I had to jump through a tonne of hoops to get it over the line and all that was when there was a set asking price and one interested party.

Regardless of peoples believes be that a certain paper, journalist or what the club says the only way you will know how smooth, competent or proactive the club are with transfers is if your in the room when they happen.

Gone are the days of gentlemens agreements and signings on the day, this stuff takes time, its why I tend to get away from football for two months during the summer ( not this year) and let the players land where they land, doing anything else would drive a person demented.

according to the current narrative - United approached VDB and Ajax thursday, and had a deal sorted Saturday/Sunday.

So, eh... yeah.

But that type of timeframe is impossible.

it should always take months to complete a signing.

according to the current narrative - United approached VDB and Ajax thursday, and had a deal sorted Saturday/Sunday.

So, eh... yeah.

But that type of timeframe is impossible.

it should always take months to complete a signing.

That was one deal with a club we have a great relationship with and our ex goal keeper is their chief executive office and the player in question wanted to join Utd. Thats why it went so smoothly.

It was the exception not the norm and yes most transfers are dragged out. You've made a post moaning about how long it took us to sign some players, christ, you just can't please some people.

If you expect a transfer between two clubs, with agents involved and other clubs sniffing around offering better deals, to go quickly and smoothly then your just not in touch with the reality of transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭KH25

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement