Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes OP [17/10/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Our back 4 owed us a performance and they gave us one. Bar Lindelof getting too tight for their goal, the entire back 4 were pretty much flawless. Delighted for Harry. He is a much better player than he’s shown recently. He needed that. He was back to doing what he does best. Crisp passing, bullying his opponents and reading the game well.

Players have to set that as the standard now. They were aggressive and worked hard. None of this run to a player and stop 2 yards away. Makes all the difference. Newcastle were poor but we didn’t let them get going.

Subs made a difference. Pogba on forced Newcastle to drop a man off Bruno and onto Paul which allowed Bruno more space. Mata was causing them huge problems too. I like the look of VDB but I’m having a real problem seeing how you get him and Bruno into the same starting 11 without switching to a back 3.

There is a weird atmosphere in this thread. You get the sense some are smiling through gritted teeth after that result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

limnam wrote: »
    Oh right.

I thought you meant some coaching/Tactical decisions etc were given.

You're not interested in the mistakes that were made.

The poor finishing etc.

You're happy we got shots on target against newcastle.

Sound, thought I missed something.

Up to 14th! onwards and upwards.

Win 4-1 away from home. Still reason to be negative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

There is a weird atmosphere in this thread. You get the sense some are smiling through gritted teeth after that result.

I thought I was imagining it. Its been going on the last few years I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Subs made a difference.

VDB did, Matic should be in the first 11.

So the subs cleared up some mistakes in the starting 11.

It's great that it was realized all be it a bit late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Firstly, watching the VAR replays it was a penalty all day long, there was no way the ref was going to look at those replays and not give a pen..

The peno save was never a retake, the keeper just needs to be touching the line when the ball is struck and he clearly was.

4-1 is such a flattering score line though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

sky88 wrote: »
    So the posters who don’t like to blame ole at all when we lose want to give ole the credit when we win these things don’t work

Bang on. Weird behaviour. Would they have been boasting about the amount of shots we had if it stayed 1-1? Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

limnam wrote: »
    Oh right.

I thought you meant some coaching/Tactical decisions etc were given.

You're not interested in the mistakes that were made.

The poor finishing etc.

You're happy we got shots on target against newcastle.

Sound, thought I missed something.

Up to 14th! onwards and upwards.

Jesus Christ we've won 4-1 and you're still trying to find a reason to moan about. Couldn't give a toss about "poor finishing" when we've scored 4 goals. Plus I didn't say anything about coaching or tactical decisions. I said people calling Ole tactically clueless need to watch that game again.

Cheer up will ya :P

bangkok wrote: »

Oh, you used to be all about the performance. Now it's the results. :)

Make up your mind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I thought I was imagining it. Its been going on the last few years I think.

Nah some people can just be happy with a win while also accepting that certain aspects of a performance weren't good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You can say it was a good game whilst not ignoring the massive elephant that is 6 points from 4 games (worse PPG than last season)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Second goal really was unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Nalz wrote: »
    pen should have been retaken. Newcastle player in the box before Bruno hit it. Also keeper had one foot off the line.

Don't want so sound rude but you need to review the rules.

One foot on the line is okay.

If the Newcastle player had cleared the ball after a save it should/would have been reviewed by VAR.

Goals so far this season

Aaron Wan Bissaka - 1

Trent Alexander Arnold - 0

You can say it was a good game whilst not ignoring the massive elephant that is 6 points from 4 games (worse PPG than last season)

It wasn't that good though.

It's Newcastle. Newcastle are happy to give the ball up to us. So you already know you're going to have the ball.

At 86 minutes it's 1-1. If you look up at our actual penetration,creativity etc. It was fairly poor. Add to that our mistakes and frailties in the mid/def.

Yeah we can cheer a win away to newcastle the fact we're up to 14th.

hoorah!

NITRO95 wrote: »
    Goals so far this season

Aaron Wan Bissaka - 1

redefining what it means to be a right-back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Nah some people can just be happy with a win while also accepting that certain aspects of a performance weren't good enough

I had the mad notion that it was a few people who supported different teams and liked to pretend to support united to cause trouble.

Other times I thought it was lads who got a bit of stick in work and hadnt got the ability to laugh it off.

But anyway, after a nightmare start, where we were a week behind all the other teams we smashed newcastle, 4-1. Most shots on target in any game in the prem this season, the boss dropped the fella we all wanted dropped. Maguire has boosted confidence and actually scored a header , Bissaka got a goal, Bruno has woken up, Im on my 4th can and loving it.

And the other teams apart from city dropped points.

Goals so far this season

Aaron Wan Bissaka - 1

Thanks.

I think everyone is quite happy with today but one result against a average Newcastle won't erase the previous 18 months of Oléball or the overall quagmire the club is in.

I had the mad notion that it was a few people who supported different teams and liked to pretend to support united to cause trouble.

Other times I thought it was lads who got a bit of stick in work and hadnt got the ability to laugh it off.

But anyway, after a nightmare start, where we were a week behind all the other teams we smashed newcastle, 4-1. Most shots on target in any game in the prem this season, the boss dropped the fella we all wanted dropped. Maguire has boosted confidence and actually scored a header , Bissaka got a goal, Bruno has woken up, Im on my 4th can and loving it.

And the other teams apart from city dropped points.

That's how good Bruno is.

When he's putting in about 25% he's "woken up"

Love this guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

beno619 wrote: »
    I think everyone is quite happy with today but one result against a average Newcastle won't erase the previous 18 months of Oléball or the overall quagmire the club is in.

You would think things like this wouldn't need explaining yet here we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

We won 4 1, the result did not flatter us. Very happy with Pogba and Matic dropped.

Maguire gave a great account of himself. Shaw and AWB were much better going forward.

Mata was excellent. Rashford wasnt far behind.

But lets not be aware it was against a poor Newcastle side.

Fred worked hard but ultimatly hes below average. Bruno struggled. James, similar to Fred, is below avergae. But all 3 worked hard and put in plenty of effort.

VDB not starting is worrying me. Makes no logical sense after last week.

But Im happy with the result. Hopefully we can build on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Oleball where we went on an 18 game unbeaten run and finished against all odds in 3rd last season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

That’s not what I’m talking about and I’m well aware of the problems at the club. I’ve stated my thoughts on Ole multiple times. He won’t lead us to any titles. I’m not the only one who senses the atmosphere either. There are a few players who some people on this thread are hoping don’t have good games.

Oleball where we went on an 18 game unbeaten run and finished against all odds in 3rd last season

You're like a ****ing broken record

We struggled in a lot of those games,lets not pretend we were super domiante in that period. Plenty of lucky results. Dropped points when we should have won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Great performance and result tonight. Thought Shaw was very good after the early setback, solid performance from Maguire too after a tough few weeks. Dan James looked lively but end product was disappointing as usual. Mata, Rashford and Fernandes all excellent. Decent line up from Ole too, made the right call dropping Pogba.

Weird, when we won the europa league, 2nd in the league etc

You had no interest in these stats

Whats changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Carrying on from one of my previous rants about international form having feck all relevance to club form, just seen the Liverpool highlights - Firminhos goals for Brazil haven't done much to improve his club form, played poorly again and actually looks to be carrying a few extra pounds.

Now to steer this post back on topic, anyone see any other line up bar Matic and Pogba in the middle for Tuesday? I'd like to see Matic back alright but keep McTominay or Fred, probably McTominay if pushed in the team ahead of Pogba? He can be brought on like, but I would worry if its just the two of them (Matic and Pogba) against better opposition and the defence getting run at again and torn asunder.

Is there any way Pogba doesn't start Tuesday?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

4-1, much improved performance. Thread of whinging. Night all.

Dan James looked lively but end product was disappointing as usual.

It's like a F1 driver who always crashes on the final lap

It shouldn't be a compliment.

• Advertisement

The thread is absolutely redundant at this point. Can't critique Ole without hearing about an 18 game unbeaten run and finishing third.
    Can't critique Pogba without being told he's world class and he won a World Cup and he nearly signed for Real/Juve.
    Can't in anyway ask for improvement in a match we win because that's being negative

Honestly what is the point

That, and the other games that had us finish on our lowest (?) joint lowest? second lowest? whatever points total. That we somehow managed to end up 3rd is as much an indictment of the teams around us as it is ourselves. That Oleball. Its better not to be selective because both sides of the argument can do it and it just goes round in circles time and again.

Still though, shame we didn't build on it in the summer and take advantage of the good fortune.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

The thread is absolutely redundant at this point. Can't critique Ole without hearing about an 18 game unbeaten run and finishing third.
    Can't critique Pogba without being told he's world class and he won a World Cup and he nearly signed for Real/Juve.
    Can't in anyway ask for improvement in a match we win because that's being negative

Honestly what is the point

Same is true other way.

Can't praise ole, or Pogba for anything without people harping on it for days.

Firminhos goals for Brazil haven't done much to improve his club form, played poorly again and actually looks to be carrying a few extra pounds.
    y?

Was thinking the same tonight about hargreves. He's putting on some puddin'

Hasn't really been mentioned but hats off to DDG today, he was excellent. Hopefully his form will continue to improve back to previous levels.

I'm sure you also remember how awful the end of this 18/19 season was and the end of the 19/20 season and lots of bits in between.

Oléball were we struggled or failed to muster a single shot on target in a number of games.

Anyway I'm happy with today so won't ruin it anymore with reality.

Same is true other way.

Welcome back Ted

Hasn't really been mentioned but hats off to DDG today, he was excellent. Hopefully his form will continue to improve back to previous levels.

Hopefully having a genuine rival for the number 1 spot, at least on paper spurs him on and Shaw the same with the Telles arrival. Competition for places is an absolute necessity for clubs that want to push on to the next level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Could have been 8-1. Very pleasing performances although Tuesday will be far bigger test

Love Mata

That’s not what I’m talking about and I’m well aware of the problems at the club. I’ve stated my thoughts on Ole multiple times. He won’t lead us to any titles. I’m not the only one who senses the atmosphere either. There are a few players who some people on this thread are hoping don’t have good games.

Fair enough, missed that point.

I mean I honestly don't think there's any United fan who wouldn't love Pogba for example to suddenly perform like the top player he supposedly is. I disagree.

• Advertisement

4-1, much improved performance. Thread of whinging. Night all.

Ignorance is bliss. Enjoy it.

Same is true other way.

Maybe after say a good run of performances in the next few games will turn the tide.

Dont expect us to win 5 on the bounce, but 5 good games with the same performance levels as tonight will satisfy me.

Ian Wrights glasses look fluckin ridiculous.

Ian Wrights glasses look fluckin ridiculous.

Whats new. Hes always been an attention seeker.

I always wished Andrew Maxwell would dig him around in Im a Celeb last year.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Ignorance is bliss. Enjoy it.

And some people love to wallow in misery.

Hopefully having a genuine rival for the number 1 spot, at least on paper spurs him on and Shaw the same with the Telles arrival. Competition for places is an absolute necessity for clubs that want to push on to the next level.

He started quite well against Spurs as well before that went to ****e, definitely a player that needs competition or pressure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

There’s a certain section who only ever want to focus on one game at a time, and try to ignore the overall picture. Take one game out of context, and use it to shape a narrative.

When we lose, “it’s only one game, remember twelve months ago? Stop overreacting to this one game”.

When we win, “hey everyone, let’s all focus on this one win, anyone who want to talk about the larger scheme of things should focus on this win!”

Tonight’s result was great, and positive. It also should be expected. Newcastle were awful and played into our hands, especially in the last quarter. That doesn’t take away from a very good performance from a lot of players, or that we managed to do a little rotation of the squad ahead of the CL match.

In the context of the season, in the context of Oles entire tenure, it doesn’t change much. A win vs a very poor Newcastle was never going to change the minds of people who think Ole isn’t long destined for the job. Weirdly, the same people crying about people being negative are the same ones who’d also be trying to point out people not posting after a positive result too, as if it’s some gotcha moment.

In isolation, tonight was a very good preformance. In the larger picture, it doesn’t change much. Trying to hold up a win against a relegation level team as some crowning achievement, rather than something that should be the norm, sums up the level United as a club has fallen too.

Maintain that level of preformance against PSG, and we can talk....

And some people love to wallow in misery.

Not wallowing at all. Just being realistic. We should have put this game to bed before 86 mins. That’s all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Entering the United thread after a game...

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Not wallowing at all. Just being realistic. We should have put this game to bed before 86 mins. That’s all.

Yep. And isn't that a good thing? Really? We were the better side and it's the first time we can say that this season. We still need to play better but at least that's a performance that can be built on, none of the others could.

We needed 3 points and got them, while p on saying decent enough too. I feared this game on the back of the humiliation last time out, and the poor end to the transfer window. Going 1 down in 2 minutes could have resulted in utter capitulation imo. The players responded well and we more than deserved to be level at ht.

With Martial, Cavani and Greenwood to come in, that bodes well too.

I'm worried about Greenwood though. No report of injury so I worry there is a much worse reason he wasn't involved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement