Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes OP [17/10/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Yep. And isn't that a good thing? Really? We were the better side and it's the first time we can say that this seas.

I do get your point mate but in the grand scheme of things it’s not really a good thing. How have we come from being this unbeatable side during lockdown to a team celebrating a late victory away to Newcastle who didn’t even seem to want the ball tonight. Short term, a good thing perhaps. In the reality, it’s not majorly reassuring. I guess it’s positive in the sense that we can hopefully get better from here but the opponents on the way are much much better than Newcastle and there is a massive chance that we will struggle to pick up points unless we perform better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Lord TSC wrote: »
    There’s a certain section who only ever want to focus on one game at a time, and try to ignore the overall picture. Take one game out of context, and use it to shape a narrative.

When we lose, “it’s only one game, remember twelve months ago? Stop overreacting to this one game”.

When we win, “hey everyone, let’s all focus on this one win, anyone who want to talk about the larger scheme of things should focus on this win!”

Tonight’s result was great, and positive. It also should be expected. Newcastle were awful and played into our hands, especially in the last quarter. That doesn’t take away from a very good performance from a lot of players, or that we managed to do a little rotation of the squad ahead of the CL match.

In the context of the season, in the context of Oles entire tenure, it doesn’t change much. A win vs a very poor Newcastle was never going to change the minds of people who think Ole isn’t long destined for the job. Weirdly, the same people crying about people being negative are the same ones who’d also be trying to point out people not posting after a positive result too, as if it’s some gotcha moment.

In isolation, tonight was a very good preformance. In the larger picture, it doesn’t change much. Trying to hold up a win against a relegation level team as some crowning achievement, rather than something that should be the norm, sums up the level United as a club has fallen too.

Maintain that level of preformance against PSG, and we can talk....

So we shouldn’t look at it one game at a time? We should look over a longer period? Let’s say, a full season... we finished 3rd last year, that’s pretty good and better than 99% of us would have thought.

We’ve only played 4 games this season and if we win our game in hand we are 1 point off 2nd..

Look I’m not arguing we are brilliant, I’m well aware of how poor we can be but what exactly are we supposed to look at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Rock77 wrote: »
    So we shouldn’t look at it one game at a time? We should look over a longer period? Let’s say, a full season... we finished 3rd last year, that’s pretty good and better than 99% of us would have thought.

We’ve only played 4 games this season and if we win our game in hand we are 1 point off 2nd..

Look I’m not arguing we are brilliant, I’m well aware of how poor we can be but what exactly are we supposed to look at?

We're supposed to look at whatever we're prompted to by the most vocal people in this thread. You know the ones, they are always right and sneer at other opinions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: please respect other people's right to have an opinion, please keep the topic about Manchester United.

Moaning anout the thread and that other people have contrary opinions to your own is not welcome.

If you want to put forward counter points about the views of another poster then make an actual point. See OP for previous note

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It was a freak season last year we had our joint ever lowest points total and got 3rd

We were a shambles and wont get away with it again

We have 6 points after 4 games we have played 3 teams who will be fighting for relegation and a decent team who battered us and on any other day Brighton could have hammered us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

We have lost two games at home, lucky to beat Brighton.

God help us against City, Pool etc if we turn up to play with the same attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Thread is a strange one tonight. Good performance by the lads albeit from what turned out to be a bad night for newcastle.

We are knowhere near good enough though, id be on the ole out camp as i just dont see him taking us to any silverware, never did.
    Cant give praise to last year finishing where we did as lets be honest, bruno got us there the first few months.

I'll give credit to the man where he somewhat stablised in what i see around the club with regards to the young players.

Tactically ole is pretty woeful in the bigger picture.

And what the **** is going on with DVB?

Was actually delighted for Mata to have a MOTM performance. Still has quality even though he wont get a game for weeks/months at a time. Just shows how techically gifted he is with a ball.

Also Maguire needed that goal, lad gets some dogs abuse more than anyone in the league which a lot isnt warrented, slabhead etc. Hopefully its a turn for the man, with Greece and the red card during the week, if it was me i'd be like **** that attention and grieveance you'd get off people.

PSG will be a massive battle though, Cavani to score the 89th minute winner would be class though

Wasn’t trying to be a d*ck but the point of the post was lost on me.

We shouldn’t look at individual games.

We finished 3rd last year but some of the individual games were poor performances..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Wasn’t trying to be a d*ck but the point of the post was lost on me.

We shouldn’t look at individual games.

We finished 3rd last year but some of the individual games were poor performances..

The Southampton game sticks in my mind. So poor when stakes were so high.

Our own destiny was in our hands and we nearly blew it.
    We could have finished 5th depending on our last game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

AidoEirE wrote: »
    And what the **** is going on with DVB?

I'm a fan of DVB but the reaction to him not starting is way OTT in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him starting but it's not like he's getting some rough deal.

I've seen people on here calling for him to start who I'm fairly sure were saying that he was a squad player when signed.

I'm fairly sure we'll be seeing more and more of him as the weeks go on.

We might need time to adjust as fans to having some decent options in midfield for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

PARlance wrote: »
    I'm a fan of DVB but the reaction to him not starting is way OTT in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him starting but it's not like he's getting some rough deal.

I've seen people on here calling for him to start who I'm fairly sure were saying that he was a squad player when signed.

I'm fairly sure we'll be seeing more and more of him as the weeks go on.

We might need time to adjust as fans to having some decent options in midfield for a change.

Personally never seen him as a squad option more of a rotation player as in first team.
    Beofore the game i was thinking perfect, time to see aome dvb but mata was a great call. As a lot of lads of said here there's definately a chemistry there with bruno to unlock teams.

Honestly it's probably more to see what DVB is all about for 90 minutes. Your dead right though, long season ahead and im sure we'll see more. Just hope when he does play he turns in to a pivotal player like bruno was when he first came (and still is).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Maybe keeping Van Beek for big one Tuesday.

I'm looking forward to Tuesday as this game in my opinion gives us better indication of where we are.

Tonight was very pleasing and 4-1 was in no way unfair on Newcastle shoild have been more.

Delighted for Maguire too. A much needed confidence boost and he need it for few days. Rashford needed that goal too. A fit and 100% Rashford is badly needed for next 6 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Regardless of who actually wears the armband we all know who the leader of this squad is.

bangkok wrote: »
    Oleball where we went on an 18 game unbeaten run and finished against all odds in 3rd last season

explain ole ball tactically to me please

Also why getting third against all the odds is a good thing, with a squad who finished 2nd 2 years previous with an added talent of 200 odd mil or so added to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

This, this is what the team has been missing. A couple more players in with that mentality would do wonders for the squad imo. Get rid of the me feiners and have players that are proud to wear the jersey and fight til the death for the team. Even though he wasn't great for much of the game yesterday he still managed

80% pass accuracy
    6 chances created
    5 ball recoveries
    5 shots (3 on target)
    4 tackles won
    3 interceptions
    1 assist
    1 goal

The most important player in the team by some margin currently. Would love to see him and Mata get a proper run of games together to really build a relationship, they work so well together and MOTD identified how clever their interplay was.

Could be our most Important signing for more than a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Can we all agree and hope and pray we see more VDB as the season goes on? Better team with him on the pitch. I nearly tore my hair out going 1 nil down but finishing strong today was so crucial.

MASSIVE game on Tuesday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

As has been noted before, we finished last season with the same number of points that Moyes got (and was sacked for) and one less than LVG got when he was sacked. 3rd was a great finish for United but much the same as it's naive to look at one result and claim a corner has been turned (again), using the 3rd place finish out of context is also going to be misleading.

The four games we've played this season....

A 1-3 loss to Palace
    A 2-3 win to Brighton (which needed a freak penalty after the final whistle to get 3 points)
    A 1-6 loss to Spurs
    A 1-4 win to Newcastle.

Its hardly some massively inspiring list there, is it. One game we won comfortably last night, two thrashings, and a forth game where the result massively flatters us (Brighton, on a better day, would have put 5 or 6 past us. It was a dreadful performance).

Our next few games will give a way better indicator of where we are; PSG, Chelsea, Leipzig, Arsenal.

Listen, I'm not being negative for the sake of being negative. I think it's possible to be happy with a result like last nights while also saying it doesn't really change much in the grander scheme of things.

Dominating Newcastle should be the absolute bare minimum we should be aiming for. And it will take more than one game against a negative opposition to change anyone's mind about what level the team is at, and what level the coaching staff is at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

explain ole ball tactically to me please

Also why getting third against all the odds is a good thing, with a squad who finished 2nd 2 years previous with an added talent of 200 odd mil or so added to it?

Different tactics depending on the opposition. Not afraid to drop players either or play different formations. Fairly obvious watching each game what our tactics are depending on who we play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

When Van de Beek can on, what was the formation? Just curious how they lined up with Bruno, VDB and Mata all on the pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

I don't get this fascination with the points total. The reason we got third is that we were the third best team over the course of the season. The points total being that low just means that the league was more competitive and I really feel that it should not be used as a stick to beat Ole with.

When Van de Beek can on, what was the formation? Just curious how they lined up with Bruno, VDB and Mata all on the pitch?

4-2-3-1 still. Mata bruno and vdb all roaming

'Mata helps ease pressure on Solskjaer'

http://www.skysports.com/share/12107153

Mata brilliant again yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

VDB has twice come on and took that wide forward position on the left. Not sure it's ideal for him but he has still managed to affect the game from that area of the pitch.

Will be curious to see if we have another look at a diamond formation over the course of the next few months.

BKtje wrote: »
    I don't get this fascination with the points total. The reason we got third is that we were the third best team over the course of the season. The points total being that low just means that the league was more competitive and I really feel that it should not be used as a stick to beat Ole with.

The league wasn't competitive though :confused:

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’m with you in this, I don’t think we could of asked for anymore then third spot last season in the league. Maybe getting more points on the board would of been nice but we would of still finished 3rd in anybody’s realistic expectations.

I understand the counter arguments but they are irrelevant in the scheme of things. Some people want Ole out at all costs, which I understand, but I don’t think the league finish is the area to try to attack to prove your point. It reminds me of those trying to downplay Jose getting us second for the very same reason that they didn’t fancy the manager. There is plenty of counters to this, including us going on a savage run near the end of the season and the players still not downing tools which has happened to other managers.

I’d understand if Ole was replaced with a new manager but like yesterday there are still glimpses of really good play. As somebody said the next 4 games might tell us a lot. If he comes away good out of those games then he deserves more time to keep up the work. If he comes away badly he may very well pay for it.m, I’m ok with that but I’m rooting for at least 3 wins there, feels like some would be happy for a disaster just to force Woodward to sack him.

I’m glad I didn’t come onto this thread last night as it’s clear some people won’t be happy until Ole is gone. I enjoyed that game. I think some of the most enjoyable football I’ve seen since 2013 has been under Oles management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Saying United got third and patting ourselves on the back on a job well done is lazy and unambitious IMO and doesn't tell the bigger picture.

It was great to get third don't get me wrong but without the signing of Bruno, I've no doubt in my mind, United don't get top 4.

Certainly not using as a stick to beat Ole with but if you take everything at face value like that without question, it's naive.

We were the 3rd best team overall last season yet still 33 points behind 1st place and 15 points behind 2nd place. Getting 3rd and securing top 4 was a good result but that's not the ambition of United. United are a club who should be competing to be champions each year but we're miles away from it.

I like Ole, certainly not anti-Ole by any stretch but United had 66 points last season and deemed a successful season. Previous season United get 66 points and come 6th, a disaster. Context is everything.

Hopefully last nights results kicks United on now. Huge game Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Drumpot wrote: »

I’m glad I didn’t come onto this thread last night as it’s clear some people won’t be happy until Ole is gone. I enjoyed that game. I think some of the most enjoyable football I’ve seen since 2013 has been under Oles management.

I don't get this Drumpot.

Is it possible to not be too excited about a "clunky" away performance to a very average Newcastle side and also not want Ole shot at first sight?

We've seen some great games under Ole. We've also seen some really woeful stuff. But I think if my mother was managing the "potential" of that squad she'd occasionally get some good football out of them.

Every time someone points out something negative != Ole out.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    As has been noted before, we finished last season with the same number of points that Moyes got (and was sacked for) and one less than LVG got when he was sacked. 3rd was a great finish for United but much the same as it's naive to look at one result and claim a corner has been turned (again), using the 3rd place finish out of context is also going to be misleading.

The four games we've played this season....

A 1-3 loss to Palace
    A 2-3 win to Brighton (which needed a freak penalty after the final whistle to get 3 points)
    A 1-6 loss to Spurs
    A 1-4 win to Newcastle.

Its hardly some massively inspiring list there, is it. One game we won comfortably last night, two thrashings, and a forth game where the result massively flatters us (Brighton, on a better day, would have put 5 or 6 past us. It was a dreadful performance).

Our next few games will give a way better indicator of where we are; PSG, Chelsea, Leipzig, Arsenal.

Listen, I'm not being negative for the sake of being negative. I think it's possible to be happy with a result like last nights while also saying it doesn't really change much in the grander scheme of things.

Dominating Newcastle should be the absolute bare minimum we should be aiming for. And it will take more than one game against a negative opposition to change anyone's mind about what level the team is at, and what level the coaching staff is at.

I agree with a lot of that and once again I will say, I know exactly how far we have fallen and how poor we can be.

I’m not with you on the points total thing though... we finished 3rd, same points total as Moyes got sacked for, where did he finish though? 7th? The points total couldn’t be more irrelevant in my opinion. So if City win the league this year with less points than they got 5 years ago it matters? Come on, the points total from years ago is of no relevance whatsoever.

Somebody in here said after the Palace game we’ll struggle to finish in the top ten, we won’t. Newcastle scores an extremely lucky goal in the 1st minute yesterday and people in here were saying ‘Ole out’ and ‘this could be embarrassing’

In your original post you said we shouldn’t look at individual games like this, we should look at the overall picture. The overall picture is only City and Liverpool finished above us last year and if we win our game in hand we’re 1 point behind Liverpool who are in second.

I’m not trying to be positive for the sake of it, I know yesterday’s score line flattered us.

The reality is we are way off a title challenge but we are way ahead of what some people in here think.

Psg tuesday is a free hit for me, chelsea on saturday evening is a must win and i fancy us to beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Psg tuesday is a free hit for me, chelsea on saturday evening is a must win and i fancy us to beat them.

Free hit me Bollocks

Go out and win.

We are not Norwich

This is such a sad post, (not in the mocking way, like genuinely sad to see that kind of sentiment when it comes to Manchester United and a big European night of football) shows you how low the bar has fallen for some fans of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

That second goal I could never tire of watching. The run from Bruno from in to out, along with the blind pass from Rashford was an absolute thing of beauty. The finish was just sublime. The most exciting goal Utd have scored in a long time.

I really like the cut if VDB. I don’t think he is a squad player ultimately. His awareness is second to none at the club. High percentage of his stuff is one touch. He has a brilliant picture of the game in his head. He knows the pass he’s going to play before he receives the ball.

I’m no fan of Maguire but was delighted for him last night when he scored. How could you not feel sorry for him during the week when he was sent off? He looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Also delighted for AWB. Great to see him contribute a goal. He gets a lot of stick for the quality of his offencive play, some warranted but at the same time we constantly moan about other players not stopping crosses coming in when we concede, or close players down etc. He is the best at the club at this by a country mile and ultimately an integral part of the future of the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

This is such a sad post, (not in the mocking way, like genuinely sad to see that kind of sentiment when it comes to Manchester United and a big European night of football) shows you how low the bar has fallen for some fans of the club.

Its a preemptive defence of the manager / team should we end up getting hockied.

It’s where we are right now though... if, against all odds we do get a win on Tuesday it will be a smash and grab. They will have way more possession, more shots, way more passes and more chances. They are a far, far superior side than us. So to me, the fans that haven’t lowered their expectations are kidding themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Away to Psg is a group game. Sir Alex would set up for a draw.

If Ole sets up for a draw there will be a meltdown because an attacking player was left out and thats why we didnt win the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No chance with get out of the UCL imo playing the teams on top in France and Germany.

limnam wrote: »
    I don't get this Drumpot.

Is it possible to not be too excited about a "clunky" away performance to a very average Newcastle side and also not want Ole shot at first sight?

We've seen some great games under Ole. We've also seen some really woeful stuff. But I think if my mother was managing the "potential" of that squad she'd occasionally get some good football out of them.

Every time someone points out something negative != Ole out.

It’s not just every time somebody points out something bad about Ole, it’s that regardless of win or lose some people will always try to drag it back to the negative. Yesterday was very good and yet some people were downplaying it based on other performances. The same thing happened during the long run that ended up in third. Instead of focusing on the positive it was focus on what would of happened has we not gone on that run.

Newcastle got 8 points in their first 4 games which isn’t bad and yet people are talking about them as if they have been canon fodder. They aren’t PSG but a 4-1 win away to most teams in the EPL is a solid result most days.

I’m under no illusions about Ole and as I’ve said I’d understand if he’s let go. I’d like to see how we will be shaping up in 3 weeks and think that could be a make or break period for Ole.

• Advertisement

I agree but it’s actually a reasonable stance to take. Ole or no Ole, when in the last 7 years would you be thinking we would beat PSG?

Seriously, we are a team that mostly finishes between 6th and 3rd in the league. That’s objectively and factually how the club has been doing under all different levels of managers. That’s one decade of mediocrity. We really are like Liverpool fans in the mid/late 90s trying to convince ourselves that the club is still relevant in footballing terms when it’s not.

No club challanging for the CL sees us as a threat. No club challanging for the league sees us as a threat and this has been the case since SAF. That is the sad but unfiltered truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

The league wasn't competitive though :confused:
    I think we are talking about different things here. I'm saying it was competitive in that a lot of the lower and mid table teams took points of a off of the top teams. The winners ran away with it but that just shows how good they were (unfortunately).
    Saying United got third and patting ourselves on the back on a job well done is lazy and unambitious IMO and doesn't tell the bigger picture.
    I never claimed that they should get a pat on the back and overall I was disappointed with a lot of the performances last season but the reality remains that we came third even though we didn't play well over the entire season.
    It was great to get third don't get me wrong but without the signing of Bruno, I've no doubt in my mind, United don't get top 4.
    Agreed but they did buy him and they did get top 4. They made the decision to buy him and it paid off. Credit where credit is due.

Fair point.

So apply that logic to when we finished 2nd under Jose

Oh wait no, it wasn't then so why should it apply now
    Sorry I don't follow.

Its a preemptive defence of the manager / team should we end up getting hockied.

Oh I'm well aware of that alright but its still such a sad thing to see from a fan perspective.

Away to Psg is a group game. Sir Alex would set up for a draw.

If Ole sets up for a draw there will be a meltdown because an attacking player was left out and thats why we didnt win the game.

Fergie would set the team up to be tight, but always carry a threat. If Ole does the same I'll be happy with him.

Fergie would set the team up to be tight, but always carry a threat. If Ole does the same I'll be happy with him.

I’m not so sure about that, one big question for SAF would be the confidence and form of the team. He could very easily set us up as mostly defensive if he thought it was in our interest.

One game that always sticks with me was when we played Man City away (the season they won their first league). We were still on top and in pole position to win but let a 4-2 home lead to Everton slip to 4-4. I will always remember because I f**ked the remote control against the wall and broke it.

Against City away the next week we sat back really defensively because We got such a fright the Everton game, we offered nothing going forward.

I think PSG away is not a game I would be expecting much from most seasons, even with a SAF team so it’s not reasonable to expect much now. It’s gonna be our hardest game on paper, possibly for the whole season.

Ps. I’m also worried they want to make us pay for that last minute winner 2 years ago, so they will be well up for the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The narrative that the league was more competitive last season doesn’t fly with me, because I watched all of those games and we weren’t dropping points because the standard of the opposition, it was because we had a clueless manager and mediocre players before Bruno arrived.

I don’t know what else can be brought to the discussion about Ole, there is enough games behind us to see that he is clueless more often than not. The “good run” of 6/7 league games when he became manager, the short lived “good run” near the end of last season that was very fortunate to have us in 3rd place IMO, Newcastle yesterday, almost every other league game under him has ranged from awful to well below average, and the points per game back that up, a man that has been given over 250 million in additions and we are 6 points from 4 games.

I see us around relegation in 5 games time and Ole will be sacked, the writing has been on the wall for over a year now. Hopefully we get a competent manager in, I’ll check back in then.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’m not so sure about that, one big question for SAF would be the confidence and form of the team. He could very easily set us up as mostly defensive if he thought it was in our interest.

It was his philosophy. You must always carry a threat or you will be overwhelmed because your not making the opposition account for you at all.

You seem to be arguing a different point than I make. He would set us up to be tight, to give nothing away, that is by definition mostly defensive.

Edit: and just to top that all off, I criticised Fergie at times too with his tactics, some of the away European ties in general were just turgid to watch.

Difference is, Fergie got things right more than he got wrong, he won leagues, he won trophies, he got every ounce out of squads and rebuilt winning ones time and again. Easier to swallow the ****e when it's accompanying success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

deisedevil wrote: »
    That's grand though.

Yeah I'll be honest I wasn't sure that's why I worded it the way I did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Will be curious to see if we have another look at a diamond formation over the course of the next few months.

With the form Mata is in he deserves to be starting games more often. I'd be interested to see how a lineup like this could perform:

lineup-1.png

I know the main argument against the diamond is what's required from the fullbacks to cover the wings. But any 2 from Greenwood, Rashford and Martial could be played as split strikers to help cover the wide areas up top. Also Fernandes and Van de Beek have the pace and ability to cover the space on the right and left.

In midfield Fernandes and Mata could interchange and Van de Beek would be capable of dropping back to support Matic/McTominay when required.

Nice formation and team tbf

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement