Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes OP [17/10/20]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Pogba put in a fantastic shift tonight thats what we need to see every week.

Can't really complain about any performance tonight ole has a history of delivering in champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

This time last year we were starting games with Young, Pereira, Gomes, Dalot, Lingard (...and Dan James).

What a difference a year makes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Great result. It was a bit concerning that we struggled for so long with the Leipzig press but Ole made good subs in the 2nd half to take control of the game.

Great to see Martial get off the mark, hopefully he’ll kick on now. Fernandes was excellent when he came on and Rashford looks back on form. Van de Beek was a bit disappointing I thought.

Leipzig seem like a horrible team.

Very selfless from Rashford and delighted he got his third anyway.

Is there anything he cant do. Hes our own inanimate carbon rod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

When was the last time we scored 5 in the CL ?

Against a solid team that was very recently champions league semi finalist after beating the beaten finalists away... This was not canon fodder...

I mean there’s gonna be setbacks but this is what the team can do with confidence. It’s only the groups but we have seen but a taste of the terror this team can unleash.

More then anything they really do look like a team that plays as a team and even rashford giving the peno to Martial and Bruno trying hard to put Cavani through when he might of had an easier chance of scoring suggest to me this could be a solid unit. And Pogba appears to be settling into the squad culture... I feel more confident because of these things as much as how much stronger our squad now looks.

Igahlo - Cavani
    jones/rojo/Bailly - Tuanzave
    Pareira/Lingaard- Pogba/VDB
    Fred/mct- Fred/mct

Rashford and Greenwood looking like they are continuing their progression (always worried they might struggle).

Dodgy Dave - Determined Dave

I think our options on the bench have really helped.

It’s amazing how a few weeks can change how things look. Maybe pre season fitness was an issue and the August games caused us problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I think we can put that Upamecano talk to bed. lounge lizard springs to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Upamecano getting torn apart by Quinn and Andrews in the analysis. They have a point, he was shocking on a few occasions.

jayo26 wrote: »

Can't really complain about any performance tonight ole has a history of delivering in champions league.

He worked very hard. Most disciplined perdormance Ive seen from him in ages if not ever.

He wasnt perfect, but like against Paris he was solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

On another note - why is Gary Lineker wearing safety glasses - was it that he expected Man Utd to score so many goals. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

nullzero wrote: »
    This.

The penny seems to have finally dropped.

Van Der Beek 66mins vs Palace
    Van Der Beek 75mins vs Newcastle
    Pogba at 66 mins vs PSG
    Cavani & Pogba 57 mins vs Chelsea

All very good penny dropping subs no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

kerplun k wrote: »
    I think we can put that Upamecano talk to bed. lounge lizard springs to mind.

Hopefully Liverpool sign him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

OT would have been bouncing tonight after that performance, makes me sad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

That's what's most annoying, he's capable of great things but just doesn't care. He's a lot to do before I start to let myself be fooled by him again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Niall Quinn doesn’t rate Upmecano on tonight’s performance....when Leipzig were only one down he lost the ball in midfield and didn’t bother his arse getting back....kinda like the way the bould William Prunier used to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Liam O wrote: »
    That's what's most annoying, he's capable of great things but just doesn't care. He's a lot to do before I start to let myself be fooled by him again.

Hes hoing the right way about it. When hes bpoor I will say as much.

But credit where credit is due. Solid tonight, but I agree constantly performing like this is what we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

kerplun k wrote: »
    The jacket was a bold move. The quality of the jacket all hinged on the result, if RBL get the win, Nagelsmann looks like a genus, but they get hammered and he looks like a jester. It didn’t come off. I wonder will the manager be so bold in the return leg.

He can't be, it would clash with our jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Anyone Ole out is wrong. Simple as that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Upamencao didn’t have a great game but I think it’s funny how people watch one bad game and utterly dismiss him. Bad games happen. It doesn’t negate the potential. You get big moves based on your entire form, not one preformance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

A fabulous performance all round.

He might get overlooked in favour of a few others, but I thought Fred had a great game. He deserves to be starting imo.

Delighted for Ole.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Upamencao didn’t have a great game but I think it’s funny how people watch one bad game and utterly dismiss him. Bad games happen. It doesn’t negate the potential. You get big moves based on your entire form, not one preformance.

Spot on. Imagine we didnt buy Bruno after a bad performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cant actually find any faults tonight and it feels bloody good.

Well done team. Even the big P did well

The weird thing is that the champions league may actually suit us more then the league. Bigger teams in the later stages will attack us which may suit our strengths.

If we can crack the games where teams are sitting deep against us ,teams we should beat, this could be a very sexy season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Not only that, it happened in February 1999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Drumpot wrote: »
    The weird thing is that the champions league may actually suit us more then the league. Bigger teams in the later stages will attack us which may suit our strengths.

If we can crack the games where teams are sitting deep against us ,teams we should beat, this could be a very sexy season.

Teams are more open in the CL. Complete contrast to the PL.

MattS1 wrote: »

Too early to call yet, this season is make or break for him. The 18 game unbeaten run was a ray of hope for what we hope he can achieve. He's no master tactician but seems to set teams up well to be able to break well.

A couple of weird team selections could have us scratching our heads and frustrated again. Lets hope that doesn't happen and we get some momentum going which we seem to be in the early stages of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

paulbok wrote: »
    I
    The icing on the cake has to be Ole has maybe learned to use the bench properly.

Or he trusts the players he has on the bench?? Big difference in having bruno, cavani, mctominay on the bench in comparison to jessie lingard, periera, chong, jones...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

With all the goings on and sad depressing news stories... that was a welcome watch, pure unadulterated joy.
    RIP to all those people.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Indeed, they were a goal down and brought on attackers then got battered when space opened up as they pushed to get a goal.

Maguire and Lindelof would suffer in same scenario imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Main thing which disappointed them was how he didn’t seem to give a ****e whenever he made a mistake......for me the other CB Konte looked like a better CB.

The reality is there is a serious lack of proper Centrebacks in World Soccer at the mo.....so any fella that is anyway decent gets touted as the new Baresi or Cannavaro.

• Advertisement

Why?

Two excellent performances against quality opposition, one excellent performance against poor opposition, one languid performance against decent opposition.

That's what we have had following a dismal start to the league and an absolute spanking against Spurs.

He has a long long way to go before he proves that he can cut the mustard.

Performances like tonight and last week need to be the rule rather than the exception.

What's the point in bringing up an Ole out / Ole in debate after such a pleasing result?

Or he trusts the players he has on the bench?? Big difference in having bruno, cavani, mctominay on the bench in comparison to jessie lingard, periera, chong, jones...

I think this is a huge thing, the options on the bench are so much better and we actually have some space to make changes to the starting 11.

That jacket .....

tenor.gif?itemid=9465637

Main thing which disappointed them was how he didn’t seem to give a ****e whenever he made a mistake......for me the other CB Konte looked like a better CB.

The reality is there is a serious lack of proper Centrebacks in World Soccer at the mo.....so any fella that is anyway decent gets touted as the new Baresi or Cannavaro.

This. He gave the ball away in crucial areas and then strolled back, and when he got back didn't mark his man. It looked like he switched off or didn't give a toss. Its something Pogba gets pilloried for on here but it was much more casual than anything I've seen Pogba do.

Its was more about attitude than ability. Having said that its about the 5th game I've seen him play in full and he wasn't this bad, although he had some casual moments in those games too but like mentioned its one game and hopefully the exception not the norm.

Why?

Two excellent performances against quality opposition, one excellent performance against poor opposition, one languid performance against decent opposition.

That's what we have had following a dismal start to the league and an absolute spanking against Spurs.

Performances like tonight and last week need to be the rule rather than the exception.

What's the point in bringing up an Ole out / Ole in debate after such a pleasing result?

Because what's to say any other manager could do as well? He's proven time and time again against top teams. We can keep chopping managers every year or two.

Why?

This is what annoys me the most. When we win, its always "HA look at you idiots who thought he was ****!" and when we lose, it's people going "HA I told you he was a **** manager", just like everything else these days, its black or white.

Can people not be happy after a very impressive performance against a very decent team without trying to score points?

• Advertisement

This is what annoys me the most. When we win, its always "HA look at you idiots who thought he was ****!" and when we lose, it's people going "HA I told you he was a **** manager", just like everything else these days, its black or white.

Can people not be happy after a very impressive performance against a very decent team without trying to score points?

We can enjoy it and we can also say Ole did a brilliant job tonight. Simple enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

DM_7 wrote: »
    Indeed, they were a goal down and brought on attackers then got battered when space opened up as they pushed to get a goal.

Maguire and Lindelof would suffer in same scenario imo.

I think his attitude is what concerned people. More than the individual errors. Which of course can happen.

He seemed to loose interest, lost possession a couple of times when the game was still in the balance and didn't seem to care.
    I think we have enough of that in our side already.

Maybe was just a bad night for him. On this evidence I really wasn't impressed.
    But probably would need to see more of him in the CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

100%

Excellent night, plenty of positive.

Thread could do without a Ole in/Ole out conversation.

Enjoy it for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Because what's to say any other manager could do as well? He's proven time and time again against top teams. We can keep chopping managers every year or two.

Look, im not going to go over my thoughts on OGS again, I've given them enough airtime and I'm too buzzed after the game to worry about what comes next but the reality is that we only play "top teams" a handful of times a year. Winning those games alone are not reason enough to keep any manager in a job, there has to be consistency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Thought so. Hopefully it doesn’t spread but I worry once it’s in the squad, we’ll have other absences soon.

We can enjoy it and we can also say Ole did a brilliant job tonight. Simple enough.

Yup, I completely agree with you. Tonight and against PSG he's impressed me massively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Delighted. Not only with the result but the performance.

Subs mostly good although I would have hooked Martial instead of Greenwood. Moot now anyway.

Rashford motm of course but Fred would have got it for me only for the hattrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Didn't get to see the game but delighted to hear the result and that the performance that went with it was up to scratch, we are such a momentum heavy team that its good to see the team seemingly getting wound up to go on a run again and continue to build. Great news!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

100%

Excellent night, plenty of positive.

Thread could do without a Ole in/Ole out conversation.

Enjoy it for what it is.
    Don't disagree with you but in fairness if in the next game ole draws against arsenal you have posts from the usual suspects looking for ole out.

Didn't get to see the game but delighted to hear the result and that the performance that went with it was up to scratch, we are such a momentum heavy team that its good to see the team seemingly getting wound up to go on a run again and continue to build. Great news!

Highlights starting soon on virgin ... Gonna watch it again. Hopefully Ole starts with the same team.

Watch Lindelof against Palace - "No thanks, we may as well put me in the team."

Watch Lindelof against PSG and Leipzig - "Shut up and take my money."

Some people saw Upamecano play for the first time tonight, and that's alright, but by his standards he had a very poor game. An exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Why didn't you say that then? Its simple enough?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

adox wrote: »
    Delighted. Not only with the result but the performance.

Subs mostly good although I would have hooked Martial instead of Greenwood. Moot now anyway.

Rashford motm of course but Fred would have got it for me only for the hattrick.

Fred involved in the 4 of the goals as well.

I still think he struggles with passing out of a press, but did well tonight when had the time to spot a pass. I think he isn't good enough to play the deep role on his own. Needs the freedom to run and press.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement