Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes OP [17/10/20]

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

BenK wrote: »
    With regard to City's 'ambition' and 'vision' etc., all of that is relatively easy to implement when money is not even a slight consideration. They didn't build their club brick by brick; they spent **** loads of money! That's not to say they didn't have a plan of course but they're not a club I'd be looking at as an example of how to do things the right way.

They bought the bricks with oil money.

But just throwing money at things doesn't just grant success.

You'd think United fans would realize that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Think this is like the Ramos saga myself, he stays i think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Think this is like the Ramos saga myself, he stays i think

Barca are in big financial trouble so I cant imagine he is doing this for a contract

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Seems Rashford never fully recovered from his injury and it shows in his performances. Bad news after bad news for United

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1299024160790847489?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Think Messi is serious this time. His wages are crazy though. Currently gets 980k a week a barca PLUS 13m a year image rights PLUS 9m a year bonus. Mental

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Messi will cost city a fortune, but he will bring in a sh!t tonne in sponsorship , merchandise sales and just general clicks and exposure

Now, if he does I can see us being linked to Ronaldo for shots and giggles

With regard to City's 'ambition' and 'vision' etc., all of that is relatively easy to implement when money is not even a slight consideration. They didn't build their club brick by brick; they spent **** loads of money! That's not to say they didn't have a plan of course but they're not a club I'd be looking at as an example of how to do things the right way.

Not a club that did it the right way but definetly a club who have loads of money making the right moves to stay that way in the future in terms of how they are setting up the club and mini clubs they are making around the world.

Again this is easier with all the money in the world but United are just so poor with the money they have had to spend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Usually something like this with Messi I would have put down to him just wanting Bartomeu out, but when you consider how poor Barca’s squad is now, how he’s 33 and coming into his final years, it makes sense for him to go to a club that can afford him, has a manager who he’s played under before and look closer to winning the CL than Barca do. City’s DOF is also Barca’s old one and Aguero is apparently one of his best friends. If ever there’s a club that’s the easiest for Messi to transition to, it’s City unfortunately.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Messi will cost city a fortune, but he will bring in a sh!t tonne in sponsorship , merchandise sales and just general clicks and exposure

Now, if he does I can see us being linked to Ronaldo for shots and giggles

No idea what the future will bring in terms of fans in stadiums but he is a player who will put bums on seats and a player who would build a fan base for them also

• Advertisement

Marca - Manchester United, Spurs, Inter and Juventus have all shown interest in Sergio Reguilon; Real Madrid want up to €25m for him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Seems Rashford never fully recovered from his injury and it shows in his performances. Bad news after bad news for United

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1299024160790847489?s=21

That was a back injury which he recovered from This is a ankle injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

bangkok wrote: »
    Think Messi is serious this time. His wages are crazy though. Currently gets 980k a week a barca PLUS 13m a year image rights PLUS 9m a year bonus. Mental

Saw someone on reddit say

“He’ll get 300k a week and a bonus for designing a new Etihad plane”

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Marca - Manchester United, Spurs, Inter and Juventus have all shown interest in Sergio Reguilon; Real Madrid want up to €25m for him

I'd get behind that.

Anything that moves Brandon Williams further away from starting 20-25 games because Luke Shaw can't stay fit is worth exploring.

Reguilon is actually decent on the ball and isn't afraid to pass the ball forwards, so that's an instant and immeasurable upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Even less than I thought. Him and attempting Upemacano is such a no brainer. For instant improvement in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Am I the only one who’d run a mile from signing Messi. We’ve just got incredibly lucky in offloading a talented but past-his-best player, granted this is Messi, but still a 33yo that would cost a small fortune. I think the ideal move for him is PSG. I don’t think the premier league in general would suit him.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    Even less than I thought. Him and attempting Upemacano is such a no brainer. For instant improvement in defence.

Upemancano just signed a new contract, and it reportedly negates the buyout clause till next summer.

Mod Snip

It was claimed in football leaks and only der Spiegel ever seemed to see the claims. Every other source just quoted see Spiegel.

Hrmc would have been right on top of them too.

So it's alleged, and maybe true, but there is actually not a massive amount of proof going around

Man Utd has had some form of registration as a subsidiary in the Cayman islands since 2011. So I can't say with confidence that there is not some less than ethical practices going on there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The really worrying thing about this is the unknown - regardless of his currently situation, what could the lasting repercussions be? Any sort of breathing difficulty or scarring long term could seriously f*ck him up.

Yes career could be over if after side effects, hoping a full speedy recovery

Were MU selling him?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes career could be over if after side effects, hoping a full speedy recovery

Were MU selling him?

Nah, he is reportedly about to sign a new contract.

Although he's spent time batting eye-lids at Real Madrid, they always seemed to have a reluctant to go for him due to his price, and now with Covid, it seems no one wants to pony up enough to lure him away from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

They bought the bricks with oil money.

But just throwing money at things doesn't just grant success.

You'd think United fans would realize that.

Don't get me wrong, United certainly aren't an example of how to run a club either. They've been so wasteful with the considerable money they have spent in recent years.

But it's a bit disingenious to compare United to City, City do not have to really carefully consider money in any decisions they make. United do (moreso than they should have to with the Glazer's of course and that's another issue).

City are similar to PSG and a lesser extent Chelsea in recent years. Chelsea have been getting massive credit for their transfer business to date but that wouldn't be happening without Roman bankrolling them.

Obviously United should be doing better than they are but they don't have limitless money like those other teams.

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong, United certainly aren't an example of how to run a club either. They've been so wasteful with the considerable money they have spent in recent years.

But it's a bit disingenious to compare United to City, City do not have to really carefully consider money in any decisions they make. United do (moreso than they should have to with the Glazer's of course and that's another issue).

City are similar to PSG and a lesser extent Chelsea in recent years. Chelsea have been getting massive credit for their transfer business to date but that wouldn't be happening without Roman bankrolling them.

Obviously United should be doing better than they are but they don't have limitless money like those other teams.

Roman got the ball rolling, but Chelsea have been incredibly good at generating money from player sales in the last number of years.

There loan army is a means of making money. They hoover up talent, subsidise wages, get loan fees and then sell them at a profit. Sometimes big, but not always. either way, they've made a small fortune from doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

Roman got the ball rolling, but Chelsea have been incredibly good at generating money from player sales in the last number of years.

There loan army is a means of making money. They hoover up talent, subsidise wages, get loan fees and then sell them at a profit. Sometimes big, but not always. either way, they've made a small fortune from doing it.

Yeah in fairness they have taken advantage of the artificial boost Roman initially gave them. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd be confident they'd slowly start to slide back to their pre-Roman levels if he ever leaves though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It was claimed in football leaks and only der Spiegel ever seemed to see the claims. Every other source just quoted see Spiegel.

Hrmc would have been right on top of them too.

So it's alleged, and maybe true, but there is actually not a massive amount of proof going around

Man Utd has had some form of registration as a subsidiary in the Cayman islands since 2011. So I can't say with confidence that there is not some less than ethical practices going on there

MOD info
    Thanks for adding that clarification. I have removed original post though.

When making claims like unethical or illegal practices they need to be be based on established facts or at least have the source of the alleged item included.

The above is not to be taken as a mod note, just updating thread on change made and why.

Manchester United defender Harry Maguire said he feared for his life when Greek police arrested him last week as he thought he was being kidnapped.

The England international told BBC sport editor Dan Roan that plain-clothed police officers, who did not identify themselves, pulled over his group's minibus in Mykonos, threw him off the bus, hit him in his legs and told him his career was over.

The 27-year-old said he tried to run away - with one handcuff on - because he had no idea who the men were.

On Tuesday, Maguire was given a suspended sentence of 21 months and 10 days in prison after his trial on the Greek island of Syros.

He was found guilty of repeated bodily harm, attempted bribery, violence against public employees and insult after arrest on Mykonos.

On Wednesday, his legal team lodged an appeal against the verdict. In accordance with Greek law, the appeal nullifies Maguire's conviction and there will be a full retrial in a more senior court.

An emotional Maguire, who broke down during the interview, said hearing the guilty verdict was "horrible" and that he "couldn't quite believe it".

The centre-back, who said his "conscience is so clear" and denies throwing any punches or trying to bribe the police, added: "I don't feel I owe an apology to anybody.

"An apology is something when you have done something wrong."

He said: "I don't wish it on anybody. Obviously the situation has made it difficult for one of the biggest clubs in the world, so I regret putting the fans and the club through this, but I did nothing wrong.

"I found myself in a situation where it could have happened to anybody and anywhere."

Asked how badly he was hurt, Maguire said: "They hit me a lot on the legs. It wasn't on my mind. I was in that much of a panic. Fear. Scared for my life."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Christ sake, an interview pleading his innocence. It could be a goldmine of meme material for rival fans. Maguire would be much better off saying nothing about this and just putting his head down and getting on with the football rather then dragging this story on and giving it more exposure. All anybodies been taking about the last 24hrs is Messi and now hes brought the spotlight back onto himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Christ sake, an interview pleading his innocence. It could be a goldmine of meme material for rival fans. Maguire would be much better off saying nothing about this and just putting his head down and getting on with the football rather then dragging this story on and giving it more exposure. All anybodies been taking about the last 24hrs is Messi and now hes brought the spotlight back onto himself.

You can be absolute certain that Neil Ashton is behind it. Silly carry on.

If he is 100% sure he is correct in what he was saying he is dead right for doing the interview.. a lot of crap been written the last few days and he probably wants to set the record straight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

This is veering from a daft story to the utterly ridiculous.

If what the Greek police say is true is reality, then Maguire is a moron, but we'd have gotten passed it. Possibly stripped of captaincy, stupid move buddy, etc., but sure we'd move on.

If what Maguire says is true is reality, doing that interview is moronic. Pursue this version of truth via the court systems, not the f**king media, ffs. IF what he says is the truth then this is a scandal of obscene levels. The Greek poloce targeted him with the goal of ending his career?! That's an incredibly serious allegation to make and raises questions over why they did this, who wanted this to happen and orchestrated it and how was this so well organised.

Because of that interview, Maguire has placed himself now at the centre of an international case of police brutality with the goal of ending a specific athlete's career. He's shifted this from him being the accused (with the presumption of innocence) to the accuser (with the burden of proof). If he can't prove these sensational claims in a court of law, he's made a fool of himself with that interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Absolute madness allowing that interview.

• Advertisement

I hope he asked the club if it was okay to do the interview too. Whiff of Beckham media circus (but half the talent) about it now and that didn't end well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

If anything the more I hear from Harry’s side I don’t believe them but also police side sounds dubious

It’s a fricken mess

sky88 wrote: »
    If anything the more I hear from Harry’s side I don’t believe them but also police side sounds dubious

It’s a fricken mess

Hes an innocent man as it stands and to be honest i would be much more inclined to believe him that i would be plain clothes police officers from mkyonas

If he is 100% sure he is correct in what he was saying he is dead right for doing the interview.. a lot of crap been written the last few days and he probably wants to set the record straight

So IF he's right, then a lot of crap's been written.

Have you entertained Occam's Razor on this?

If he is "100% sure he is correct in what he was saying", this is astonishing levels of police criminality.

EDIT: Also, if he IS right, telling Dan f**king Roan is not the right approach. The right approach is to tell your solicitor and go after the criminals and refuse to speak to the media until MUCH further along. Speaking to the media is so, so stupid at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

The interview was idiocy of the highest order.

Just keep your fcuking head down and let the legal team sort it out.

AFTER you've come out of it smeliing like roses, by all means give the BBC your side of the story.

The England international told BBC sport editor Dan Roan that plain-clothed police officers, who did not identify themselves, pulled over his group's minibus in Mykonos, threw him off the bus, hit him in his legs and told him his career was over.

"

Last week this part happened inside the station. So besides the 2 sides being different, and we don't really know the other side, the details of this side have changed after a few days. They'd want a bit if consistency

I'd wager, if he was fairly pissed, which he may have been, he has a vague idea of what happened, and that's about it. Maybe he want though. The stuff about his sister should have been somewhat verifiable too you'd think. Maybe she hasn't chimed.up because she actually can't remember a thing. Maybe she hasn't because it's bs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'm surprised Maguire didnt say it wasnt him due to him unable to sweat

BBC News (UK) (@BBCNews) Tweeted:
    “I feared for my life”

Manchester United captain Harry Maguire tells the BBC he thought he was being kidnapped when he was arrested in Greece last week

https://t.co/S3rZorWbMe https://t.co/UcNHLMTQwa https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1299092877662920704?s=20

Video footage of maguire interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I’m delighted he’s spoken about it. Don’t see the problem at all. I believe him. If he doubted himself one bit I don’t think he’d make the decision to go on tv to tell his side of the story. Still a stupidly annoying course of events that will distract everyone for months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It’s something a person with low intelligence and a high opinion of themselves would do though (I find it hard to believe the club were behind that interview), and the same type of person would be attempting to bribe police and acting obnoxiously.

We’ll give him the benefit of the doubt until the second court case is finished. Hopefully he was just really really unlucky to have all of that happen to him without bringing it on himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Wouldn't his legs be pretty bruised up if a few lads were kicking him trying to "end" his career, surely they'd have photos etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

xtal191 wrote: »
    Wouldn't his legs be pretty bruised up if a few lads were kicking him trying to "end" his career, surely they'd have photos etc

Outright denying the “I’m the captain of Manchester United” statement is weird also. I’d be inclined to believe he did say that.

The whole thing is just bonkers and not needed for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

What a clusterfcuk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭irishchris

Storm in a teacup but bet Woodward is delighted to have fans distracted from what actually matters which is bringing some talent in with only weeks to the start of the new season!

irishchris wrote: »
    Storm in a teacup but bet Woodward is delighted to have fans distracted from what actually matters which is bringing some talent in with only weeks to the start of the new season!

Whatever it is, its not a storm in a teacup.

A united captain had been convicted and given a conviction with suspended jail time.

And then he in turn is going national in his home country saying its all lies.

Even as I said a few days ago its going to weigh on his mind innocent or not.

So its going to effect him and the club until we get a outright conclusion.

Its a complete mess not world ending, nothing people will take into there daily lives but in footballing terms it is 100%,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Heard on the Guardian football weekly podcast that all the teams playing in Europe won't have midweek off until late December.

This squad is going to be pushed to the max and broken.

beno619 wrote: »
    Heard on the Guardian football weekly podcast that all the teams playing in Europe won't have midweek off until late December.

This squad is going to be pushed to the max and broken.

JLingz
    Pereira
    Dalot
    James

Plenty of strength in depth. No need to worry.

GSPfan wrote: »
    I’m delighted he’s spoken about it. Don’t see the problem at all. I believe him. If he doubted himself one bit I don’t think he’d make the decision to go on tv to tell his side of the story. Still a stupidly annoying course of events that will distract everyone for months.

Pretty much in this camp.

Like, I can well believe there’s police corruption involved. Reading Greek people talking over on Reddit, they say the local police in the area aren’t exactly the greatest.

I wouldn’t be at all shocked if there was a whole lot of confusion, fueled by alcohol and a fear for his sister. And that Maguire made some stupid decisions the process. I can also believe that the police roughed him up a bit, even if it was just through sheer annoyance with another English lout.

I also can’t really blame the guy for wanting to defend himself publicly. It’s easy to be cynical, but when you’re being called criminal scum in the press and online, and you genuinely feel innocent in the situation, maybe he felt he wanted his side of the story out.

It’s easy to sit here and call him an idiot, and say he should accept the charge and ignore it. But we aren’t the ones who would have a criminal record as a result, walking round with the problems that can cause on different levels for the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Like, I can well believe there’s police corruption involved. Reading Greek people talking over on Reddit, they say the local police in the area aren’t exactly the greatest.

I wouldn’t be at all shocked if there was a whole lot of confusion, fueled by alcohol and a fear for his sister. And that Maguire made some stupid decisions the process. I can also believe that the police roughed him up a bit, even if it was just through sheer annoyance with another English lout.

I also can’t really blame the guy for wanting to defend himself publicly. It’s easy to be cynical, but when you’re being called criminal scum in the press and online, and you genuinely feel innocent in the situation, maybe he felt he wanted his side of the story out.

It’s easy to sit here and call him an idiot, and say he should accept the charge and ignore it. But we aren’t the ones who would have a criminal record as a result, walking round with the problems that can cause on different levels for the next few years.

Police corruption is a form of misconduct in which law enforcement officers abuse their power for personal gain.

What was or could have been the personal gain? If the police were indeed performing a corrupt act why didn't they close the deal when Harry offered them cash to make it go away? Why would corrupt police prefer to prosecute instead of taking the cash?

Don't get me wrong: if what he claims has happened is the truth he absolutely should pursue this vehemently. Police corruption wouldn't surprise me, so if he's a victim in this, then he needs to defend himself fully.

I just think defending himself through this interview is the worst way of going about it. I understand the Greek appeals system is different to our appeals system so believe he can't counter-claim at this point (open to correction, but I believe that's the case) but this needs to be pursued via legal channels, not by doing an interview on the tv. This is sensationalising it and feeding the tabloids. It is, in my view, a naieve approach.

I have no idea what to believe is the truth, but I fully believe he has the right to be presumed innocent of what he has been charged with until evidence to the contrary is in place. I hope Man Utd stand by him and support him fully as this evolves. It might be best for everyone if he is moved out of the captaincy for the time being given the level of scrutiny this is going to attract.

However, I also believe the Greek police force have the same right to the presumption of innocence - Harry has levelled some incredible claims of their abuse of power and targeting of an individual for a criminal assault for reasons as yet unknown. I hope he has the concrete evidence to substantiate that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement