Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes OP [17/10/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Can't agree with that.

Werner is a very good addition to their forward line. Abraham shows a lot of promise and had an impressive scoring record in the first 3/4 months of the season, but as with most young players his season was dogged by inconsistency. And Giroud doesn't score enough.
    So Werner absolutely addresses a problem area for them.

Chilwell is a really good signing. Its obvious Lampard wasn't happy with Alonso or Emerson. And to negotiate the price down to below 50M was good business by Chelsea. I only wish we could do similar!
    Thiago Silva may be a stop-gap signing nearing the end of his career but to be honest, even at that he's still an improvement on what they have at CB.

And Havertz probably on the way too. They're having a brilliant window imo.

Further to this, They have signed 3 players for what are 2 problem positions for us and one where an improvement would be nice in Centre forward and all for roughly what a Sancho would be for 1 position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Discodog wrote: »
    The Greek lawyer who led the prosecution against Harry Maguire has picked several holes in the Manchester United star’s “ridiculous” account of his arrest.

Maguire – in an interview with the BBC – claimed he was “in fear for his life” as assailants hit him in the legs and told him he “he won’t play again”.

It was the United captain’s first interview since he was convicted of assaulting police officers and bribery and handed a 21-month suspended sentence – a decision Maguire’s lawyers will appeal.

Prosecution lawyer Ioannis Paradissis has now taken apart Maguire’s account of the events, and has criticising the 27-year-old for his failure to apologise.

He told MailOnline: “I’ve seen and read what Maguire said and it’s ridiculous and only adds further insult to the harm he caused the policemen he attacked and the Greek justice system as a whole.

“Maguire claims that he feared he was being kidnapped yet his response is to run away and call his agent, leaving behind his fiancé, brothers and sister and childhood friends. Even if you accepted this as true, which I don’t, these are not the actions of an honourable man.

“If I was his fiancé or any of the others in the group, I would be very angry with him for leaving them behind and would want him to do some explaining.”

He added: “Maguire claims that when the minibus stopped, he did not know that it was outside a police station. I would urge all people to have a look at Mykonos police station. It is clearly obvious what this place is either during the day or night.

“There are many police cars parked outside it at night, there is a sign stating that it is a police station and there are officers coming in and outside of the building. The only way you would not be able tell if it was not a police station is if you are very drunk.

“But clearly, he was not that drunk, because according to him he was able to fight off a group of men who he thought were kidnappers and try and escape. If he had the clarity of mind to do that then obviously, he would have also been able to see that the minibus had pulled up outside a police station.”

The football star’s friend Ashden Morley claimed during the trial in Syros that they knew the nationality of the men because ‘they had an Albanian nature.’

He added: “Why didn’t the BBC press him further on this. How did Maguire and his group know that these men were Albanian? Is the Manchester United captain and those with him experts on Albanian culture and people? And do they speak Albanian?

“And in his interview, Maguire makes no reference to Albanians, as his friend did in court and others did in his group? Why is this? Why is thier story now that it was simply two men and noting about Albanians? Why did the journalist not question him further about this?”

Mr Paradissis fumed: “And where is our apology for his behaviour? Three policemen were injured and had to be treated at hospital. A rich man came to Mykonos and thought that he could behave how he wants. He then goes on an international television channel to justify his actions and there is not a single sorry to us in anything he says.”

https://www.football365.com/news/greek-lawyer-tears-apart-man-utd-maguire-ridiculous-mykonos-claims

Don't know about Maguire's guilt or innocence, but if the Greek prosecutor pulls the rest of his story apart as easily as he has this section, Harry's in for a tough time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Maguire sent 3 of them to hospital and he hasn’t a scratch on him. Who says footballers are soft.

Says a lot about police restraint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

So when is our first league game?

Is it 19th Sept v palace or will it be our rearranged game agaisnt burnley midweek around the 15/16?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Drumpot wrote: »
    So when is our first league game?

Is it 19th Sept v palace or will it be our rearranged game agaisnt burnley midweek around the 15/16?

It's the 19th v Palace.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,707 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,707 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Well that was the best 10 mins of something related to utd this summer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

c8b374d1b1776373969af4d6066907fa.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Sounds like the board is also on holidays in Mykonos as well as the players

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1299429321996722180?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

billyhead wrote: »
    It's the 19th v Palace.

I thought they were gonna try and squeeze In the burnley game into a league cup slot?

• Advertisement

With my lack of knowledge on the subject I don’t think there is many billionaires out there who could convince the Glazers to sell without them all wanting it. One day they may all want to sell but I can see them staying for a long long time unless something forces them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,348 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

GSPfan wrote: »
    With my lack of knowledge on the subject I don’t think there is many billionaires out there who could convince the Glazers to sell without them all wanting it. One day they may all want to sell but I can see them staying for a long long time unless something forces them out.

according to google the ortega family is ~14x more wealthy than the glazers. its like anything you own (with the exception of pets or something with huge sentimental value), if the price is right you'd be willing to sell.

i cant imagine the glazers have too much sentimentality for utd. it seems to be just media rubbish though?

on another note re sancho. any offer received has to be made public as dortmund are a publicly traded company and have to release such info due to insider trading laws. well any info that could materially alter share price:

'the publication and notification of inside information pursuant to section 15 of the Securities Trading Act'.

(https://www.bafin.de/SharedDocs/Veroeffentlichungen/EN/Aufsichtsrecht/Verordnung/WpAIV_en.html?nn=8379960#doc7863662bodyText2)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

on another note re sancho. any offer received has to be made public as dortmund are a publicly traded company and have to release such info due to insider trading laws. well any info that could materially alter share price:

'the publication and notification of inside information pursuant to section 15 of the Securities Trading Act'.

(https://www.bafin.de/SharedDocs/Veroeffentlichungen/EN/Aufsichtsrecht/Verordnung/WpAIV_en.html?nn=8379960#doc7863662bodyText2)

I think this may be a case of too much internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,348 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

PARlance wrote: »
    I think this may be a case of too much internet.

maybe so.

they did cancel their dividend a few weeks ago, while utd pressed ahead with paying out theirs. one has the money to spare (or greedy executives), while the other doesn't (or has prudent executives).

i dont much care once utd sign sancho + a few others.

Just to add to this.

here is the disclosure of a rejected offer from barce for dembele:
    https://aktie.bvb.de/eng/IR-News/Ad-Hoc-News/Transfer-rumors-about-the-BVB-player-Ousmane-Dembele

here is the announcement of the accepted offer:
    https://aktie.bvb.de/eng/IR-News/Ad-Hoc-News/Ousmane-Dembele-is-close-to-move-to-FC-Barcelona

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I’d really like a signing next week, just to ease the concerns.

We’ll be mauled in the champions league if we don’t get some depth on the bench, we might take a beating anyway given how our Europa challenge ended and playing tougher teams.

The club “being relaxed” about the situation is the equivalent of the “nothing to see here” Iraqi military meme. When the injuries start, and they always do, and we are playing Lingard instead of Bruno and James instead of Rashford we’ll be nowhere near top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Matic has retired from International football.

Every little helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Matic has retired from International football.

Every little helps

Great decision, I know he's not our player anymore but Sanchez shortens his career by not hanging up the boots for Chile soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I'd say with the NFL starting with no fan attendance, they will probably lose a fortune with lack of fans at the stadium, Jersey sales etc, same with us, they might sell, please god sell us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Hococop wrote: »
    I'd say with the NFL starting with no fan attendance, they will probably lose a fortune with lack of fans at the stadium, Jersey sales etc, same with us, they might sell, please god sell us
    The problem is they won't sell unless they get £3bn +.
    That limits the number of potential buyers. State sponsored wealth funds looking for a vanity/pr venture and maybe tech/online giants. Not many individuals with that kind of cash to spare. Even that Zara owner while extremely rich, would be too cautious getting into football.
    Would the likes of Apple, Facebook or Amazon be bothered with the running of a club? Unless for a foothold into the game for acquiring TV rights.

The Glazers will just take more cash out of United if they have financial pressures in the NFL.

I wish that Jim Ratcliffe fella would sort his shít out and buy the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I wish that Jim Ratcliffe fella would sort his shít out and buy the club.

Pretty sure he bought Nice last year so he can’t own another club in Europe I think. Shame as he’s a United fan.

Pretty sure he bought Nice last year so he can’t own another club in Europe I think. Shame as he’s a United fan.

He does own them and he says he has no interest in buying United right now.

I wish that Jim Ratcliffe fella would sort his shít out, sell Nice, and buy the club.

Van De Beek left out of the Ajax squad today.

Tier One journos for them saying he's off, either to us or Barca.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Van De Beek left out of the Ajax squad today.

Tier One journos for them saying he's off, either to us or Barca.

Barca probably. United are too busy relaxing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Can anyone Pm the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

We are waiting to sign him in 8 years when Barca need to offload him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Any deal that puts an extra body between Lingard/Pereira and a first team football creative role for United can only be welcomed.

Yes, there are glaring improvements needed in the first team, but don't lose sight of the above either.

If united could sign VDB and that young centre back Badiashile they could probably do that for around 80 million. No confidence in them being able to do either deal even though both players seem to have clubs willing to sell them at a reasonable price.

We really are awful at the transfer side of football.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

As said on here already, fixture list is going to require significant rotation. For the season ahead quality added to rotation may actually be of more benefit than a Sancho in its own right.

Van de Beek would be the perfect player who adds quality but also options. So yeah noy getting my hopes up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Can see spurs gettin him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

DM_7 wrote: »
    As said on here already, fixture list is going to require significant rotation. For the season ahead quality added to rotation may actually be of more benefit than a Sancho in its own right.

Van de Beek would be the perfect player who adds quality but also options. So yeah noy getting my hopes up!

Sometimes Rashford and Greenwood switch sides you mean?

• Advertisement

Ajax coach has confirmed in an interview that VDB not being in the squad is due to developments of a transfer. So not long to go until we find out which club has beaten us to the punch.

Even though I’ve no reason to believe we sign him, I think speculation about signing someone like VDB means we can in theory play 2 strong midfields consisting of a DM, a regular CM, and an AM.

DM’s - Matic, Fred
    CM’s - Pogba, McTominay
    AM’s - Bruno, VDB

In all honesty I would be happy going into the season with that 6. Rotation has to happen so I’d be an advocate for regular rotation and that includes Bruno.

Sign Badiashile and Sancho as well and I’m happy we’ve improved the squad enough. I’m not sure United will be happy that 66% of those signings don’t have a British passport! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

Isn’t VDB more of an all round midfielder/box to box type player?

From what I’ve seen of him he’d be a very good signing and be an option in a number of positions.

adox wrote: »
    Isn’t VDB more of an all round midfielder/box to box type player?

From what I’ve seen of him he’d be a very good signing and be an option in a number of positions.

I’m only going off of what I’ve seen in CL games but he leans more toward being an AM in my opinion but yeah you could throw him in to the midfield instead of Pogba. He’s just a good solid midfielder for around 40 million. No brainer for most clubs i think.

One of the priorities of Ronaldo Koeman for Barcelona, Donny Van de Beek is about to sign for Manchester United. Wijnaldum has become the big goal. [Oriol Domenech]

Guy is apparently really great for Barca news.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    One of the priorities of Ronaldo Koeman for Barcelona, Donny Van de Beek is about to sign for Manchester United. Wijnaldum has become the big goal. [Oriol Domenech]

Guy is apparently really great for Barca news.

Even if he knows VDB isn’t going to Barca, he’s just throwing Man United into the tweet to get reposted. How would he know more about Utd than journalists who cover United. I’d say it’s just a high percentage guess. No real credible source/information is linking Utd yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,455 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

United should see if Barca would swap De Jong for Pogba.

• Advertisement

Even if he knows VDB isn’t going to Barca, he’s just throwing Man United into the tweet to get reposted. How would he know more about Utd than journalists who cover United. I’d say it’s just a high percentage guess. No real credible source/information is linking Utd yet.

Apparently he's got sources inside Ajax as well. So its basically double sourced from both sides.

I know none of our lads are saying it yet, but this isn't a rag journalist reporting it.

Guess we will know soon tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Paddy has him at very short odds to join Utd (2/9) so it looks like there’s something there

ParkRunner wrote: »
    Paddy has him at very short odds to join Utd (2/9) so it looks like there’s something there

That’s not how bookies work. They know nothing about transfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Liam O wrote: »
    United should see if Barca would swap De Jong for Pogba.

Why would they do that when pogba is a better player?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭KH25

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement