Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes OP [17/10/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

bangkok wrote: »
    Why would they do that when pogba is a better player?

Subjective and debateable. Arguments could be made for a stonger lineup with De Jong and VDB over Pogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Fenix wrote: »
    Subjective and debateable. Arguments could be made for a stonger lineup with De Jong and VDB over Pogba.

I'd say he's be more consistently good too. Pogba will veer from anonymous to great. Maybe this is the year of consistency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Arsenal 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Fenix wrote: »

Ive seen plenty of de jong this season. He has been average at best.

Both Stone and Peach have used the word “monitoring”, but if it’s true there’s a release clause, the bid will be the very last step.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Much better deal than Grealish. This would be a fantastic piece of business if we pull it off

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1299803202272079872?s=20

So he's a poor player? Why the interest in him from some high level clubs do you think?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

So he's a poor player? Why the interest in him from some high level clubs do you think?

Im talking about de jong at barca. Never said he was poor but he had a poor season. Think you talking about van de beek..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

That's fair, I can't say I seen a lot of him in his first season at Barca, I did however think he looked an outstanding prospect in that great young Ajax team a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Why would they do that when pogba is a better player?

In your opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

FFS how is there another Pogba debate starting out of nowhere. That man attracts opinions like shíte attracts flies.

Anyway.... VDB for €40 million is ridiculously cheap. I’m sure we’ll manage to bid €22 million and this will drag on for weeks before someone else gets him. Still no sign yet that we are actually going to sign him but with multiple journalists now saying we are “interested” it leaves the door open.

This €120 million price tag has been known for weeks now. Wonder if we've pulled out since it's been so long now since the "personal terms agreed" stories broke.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1299823018802376707?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

This €120 million price tag has been known for weeks now. Wonder if we've pulled out since it's been so long now since the "personal terms agreed" stories broke.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1299823018802376707?s=20

I'd sooner not pay it at this stage

Hococop wrote: »
    I'd sooner not pay it at this stage

i would like to see it spent if it means sitting in the glaziers bank account

Sancho is worth €120 million. VDB is a bargain at €40 million. Badiashile would be a great investment if he could be got for around €40 million.

€200 (£180) million is not a lot of money for a top club trying to improve a squad.

Sell Smalling. Sell Lingard, Sell Rojo, Sell Perreira, Sell Dalot, Please Sell Jones. Recoup €90 million.

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »

Sell Smalling. Sell Lingard, Sell Rojo, Sell Perreira, Sell Dalot, Please Sell Jones. Recoup €90 million.

Realistically, we're probably only going to sell Smalling, Rojo, Dalot and maybe Romero this summer which would be good business imo.

Lingard and Pereira will probably stay and play cup games but if we bring in Sancho & VDB, maybe Ole will have a word with them about them not getting much game time this season and they'll ask for the exit.

And God knows what's the story with Phil bloody Jones. That mans contract should have been terminated let alone extended till 2023 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Realistically, we're probably only going to sell Smalling, Rojo, Dalot and maybe Romero this summer which would be good business imo.

Lingard and Pereira will probably stay and play cup games but if we bring in Sancho & VDB, maybe Ole will have a word with them about them not getting much game time this season and they'll ask for the exit.

And God knows what's the story with Phil bloody Jones. That mans contract should have been terminated let alone extended till 2023 :o

Agreed, when I saw Smalling extension I was fine as I assumed that was Phil gone, then next day bam he is signed to an extension and I was pissed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

I can't see us splashing out 120 mil for Sancho if we get DVDB. I would say we will get another defender and that will be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Sancho is 1m percent needed. RWer, perfect fit, great price. Just pay it ffs.

Im talking about de jong at barca. Never said he was poor but he had a poor season. Think you talking about van de beek..

Ah apologies

MattS1 wrote: »
    Sancho is 1m percent needed. RWer, perfect fit, great price. Just pay it ffs.

120m is a lot of money for one player, no matter how much we need it. Especially up front in a lump sum.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    120m is a lot of money for one player, no matter how much we need it. Especially up front in a lump sum.

Not at his age and profile. More importantly, he is more important to us than many other teams who have RW talent. We haven't for years and years.

MattS1 wrote: »
    Not at his age and profile. More importantly, he is more important to us than many other teams who have RW talent. We haven't for years and years.

I’m not saying he’s not worth 120m.

My point is, it’s a lot of cash for a business to put into a single asset.

If the club only has a transfer budget of 150m this summer, is putting 80% of it into one player the right move? Does it impact our financial ability to make other deals, not just this summer but next (since it’s a lump sum instead of a payment spread out).

It’s easy to say “just pay it”. And as a fan whose money it isn’t, I’d love to see it done.

But I can also see why a business deal involving 120m will drag. I wish it didn’t. And I hate seeing how freely Chelsea and City spead.

But 120m...I think cause it’s just a number to us, we don’t appreciate how much money it is, and how we need to make sure it’s 100% the right move.

I’m not saying he’s not worth 120m.

My point is, it’s a lot of cash for a business to put into a single asset.

If the club only has a transfer budget of 150m this summer, is putting 80% of it into one player the right move? Does it impact our financial ability to make other deals, not just this summer but next (since it’s a lump sum instead of a payment spread out).

It’s easy to say “just pay it”. And as a fan whose money it isn’t, I’d love to see it done.

But I can also see why a business deal involving 120m will drag. I wish it didn’t. And I hate seeing how freely Chelsea and City spead.

But 120m...I think cause it’s just a number to us, we don’t appreciate how much money it is, and how we need to make sure it’s 100% the right move.

We have the finance for it. It's just how much the Glazers are willing to invest. It really isn't that much.

That's a mind boggling claim you know, that 120 million is really not that much. It just is, there's football manager reality and then there's actual reality.

120m before getting into the contract outlay is a massive sum of money and an investment that nobody in their right mind would sign off on without a lot of serious consideration.

There is also the very real fact of life that goes, just because you can do something doesn't always mean that you should. 120m is a hell of an investment in a largely unknown quantity. Looks the business? Absolutely, serious potential there without question, there are pros and there are cons to weigh up. For 120m I'd be quite happy to see the club walk away, I'd applaud it if that's the stance. I would not applaud the club however for failing to have any alternative scouted and in place in case the Sancho deal did not come through.

That's a mind boggling claim you know, that 120 million is really not that much. It just is, there's football manager reality and then there's actual reality.

120m before getting into the contract outlay is a massive sum of money and an investment that nobody in their right mind would sign off on without a lot of serious consideration.

There is also the very real fact of life that goes, just because you can do something doesn't always mean that you should. 120m is a hell of an investment in a largely unknown quantity. Looks the business? Absolutely, serious potential there without question, there are pros and there are cons to weigh up. For 120m I'd be quite happy to see the club walk away, I'd applaud it if that's the stance. I would not applaud the club however for failing to have any alternative scouted and in place in case the Sancho deal did not come through.

Obviously the club and scouts should have done their homework in meticulous detail but every box is literally ticked for us. The club would probably go for an Igalho type solution for RW if we don't get him which is absolutely not acceptable when we need to be taking our team to the next level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭patmac

Ok I’m old and have had a few, but really enjoying Eir Sport 2 ATM, United vs Southampton, we are 3-1 up as I type. Sammy McIlroy and Bestie having a stormer. Must be early 70’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

For 120m I'd be quite happy to see the club walk away, I'd applaud it if that's the stance. I would not applaud the club however for failing to have any alternative scouted and in place in case the Sancho deal did not come through.

The two problems seem to be related. United scouts cant seem to identify alternative targets. In an ideal world, United would have 3-4 targets identified and do business with the club that is the most reasonable in their demands. But United seem to have no alternatives, and the selling clubs (like Dortmund) know it so they can demand whatever they want.

Paying 120m up front for a single player when there is huge gaps across the squad would be insanity. And it would send a message to every other club that United are there to be exploited. The club needs to identify alternatives and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭KH25

Given the price I was surprised united weren’t linked to Thiago. 30m is a steal these days. Still expect Liverpool to sign him though.

I'd say it's just invoking our name to get Liverpool to pay up.

Thiago wont want to be a rotational player, and I don't know if he works with Pogba and Bruno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

Sand wrote: »
    United scouts cant seem to identify alternative targets. In an ideal world, United would have 3-4 targets identified and do business with the club that is the most reasonable in their demands.

I'd love to know how you know this.

Hmm, I dismissed the Thiago stuff initially because I thought it was Fjortoft reporting it, and he (ahem) is not a United fan.

But it seems to be a Norweigan source reporting it. Maybe.

Still doubtful, but some Bayern and Barca fans on Reddit think he'd work great in a double pivot with Pogba, with Bruno at #10 then. That Thiago can work wonders as a hard working DM.

Maybe.

It would be hilarious to swoop in for the only player Pool have been linked with all summer too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

BKtje wrote: »
    I'd love to know how you know this.

I think that. It's why I said cant seem to rather than saying I know they cant. Its my perception, my opinion.

But I'm open to alternative opinions as to why United hasn't moved on to another target for the RW position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

It looks as if united are going down the road of buying available players rather than players for specific positions. Talking about van de beek and thiago rather than an out and out right sided player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I'd say it's just invoking our name to get Liverpool to pay up.

Thiago wont want to be a rotational player, and I don't know if he works with Pogba and Bruno.

Thiago would be first choice on a different level to Pogba

Cant see him joining United to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

Sand wrote: »
    I think that. It's why I said cant seem to rather than saying I know they cant. Its my perception, my opinion.

But I'm open to alternative opinions as to why United hasn't moved on to another target for the RW position.

Ok fair enough. I think scouting is fine, there are plenty of articles claiming that certain targets were identified and never gone after.

It looks as if united are going down the road of buying available players rather than players or specific positions. Talking about van de beek and thiago rather than an out and out right sided player

I think there would have been universal agreement before the window opened that although a RW was the #1 priority, midfield (specifically cover for Bruno) would have been #2. And likely a new CDM was #3.

So, if we got VDB and Thiago (even if the latter link is tenuous), I'd be considering that good because it's #2 and #3 dealt with. I'd also have feared that such was our focus on #1, we'd utterly neglect #2 and #3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Hmm, I dismissed the Thiago stuff initially because I thought it was Fjortoft reporting it, and he (ahem) is not a United fan.

But it seems to be a Norweigan source reporting it. Maybe.

Still doubtful, but some Bayern and Barca fans on Reddit think he'd work great in a double pivot with Pogba, with Bruno at #10 then. That Thiago can work wonders as a hard working DM.

Maybe.

It would be hilarious to swoop in for the only player Pool have been linked with all summer too.

He played in a double pivot with Goretska as the deeper player. Goretska played box to box which Pogba could easily replicate. A midfield of Thiago, Pogba and Bruno would be incredible.

Oh well.

I’ve set myself up to be heartbroken by Thiago once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭KH25

I’m just happy to have some transfer news to talk about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

double pivot

Haven't heard that term in quite some time.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Thiago would be first choice on a different level to Pogba

Cant see him joining United to be honest

In your opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

Thiago + VDM or Grealish + Badashile + Sarr for RW would probably be much better for us in the long run than wasting the whole summer on Sancho.
    At the end of the day you need a starting point of good squad. Those 4 could all be starters where if we only sign Sancho we will still struggle with burn out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Robson99 wrote: »
    Thiago + VDM

Andy Van Der Meyde would indeed be an upgrade on our current depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Haven't heard that term in quite some time.

I think I’ve subconsciously picked it up somewhere and now I feel disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

Andy Van Der Meyde would indeed be an upgrade on our current depth.
    Meant VDB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement