Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes OP [17/10/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Surprised at this talk Ajax just accepted the bid without negotiations.

Why? The fee has been widely known, and I think either Van Der Sar or Overmars or someone senior in the club had said there was an agreement with the player that if the price they had set was met then they’d let him leave. They convinced a few players to stick around the season before last and they stuck to their word. Fair play to Ajax. They seem like a decent club to buy from. Fee’s aren’t extortionate (Dortmund take note!) and it’s rarely a drama.

I just can’t get over the price. 35 million for a player of his quality is a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Utd and Ajax have a great relationship in recent history and there is a lot of respect there. I'd imagine this deal was a breeze with the high amount of good regard between the clubs. I'd say a considerable lack of difficult agents, red tape and internal barriers was the order of the day on this deal.

KH25 wrote: »
    Fred was one of our best players this season before lockdown. There’s absolutely no need to move him on.

I know. Can't put my finger on the dislike for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

Have to say I'm very pleasantly surprised by the VDB deal. An exciting player at a great price. I had almost resigned myself to us actually not signing anyone.

Hopefully this is the first of a few more new additions.

Great signing, he's been very impressive the 2 times I've seen him play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If we want to sign Tagliafico off them now, that'd be cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I know. Can't put my finger on the dislike for him.

I don't dislike him at all, i just dont see anything in him that makes him undroppable. He offers very little in the middle i feel. Think myself that Matic and McT could easily fill that role with DVDB also playing that position if needed. I dont see Fred as a player Utd need at this point. He stood out in an awful midfield before xmas, that midfield has improved considerably to a point that he's now possibly the player that offers the least there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

titan18 wrote: »

Is he a pasta dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

titan18 wrote: »

go and get reguilon now imo and if looking for a cb get diego carlos from sevilla a good ****housing cb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭KH25

Régulion would be a good signing and from what I’ve heard he could be brought in for reasonable money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Utd and Ajax have a great relationship in recent history and there is a lot of respect there. I'd imagine this deal was a breeze with the high amount of good regard between the clubs. I'd say a considerable lack of difficult agents, red tape and internal barriers was the order of the day on this deal.

Van Der Saar being there can't hurt either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

Régulion would be a good signing and from what I’ve heard he could be brought in for reasonable money.

my only worry is dealing with real madrid for him, good thing is i cant see him wanting to stay there when they have ferland mendy already+ marcelo as back up. if he can be got for 25-35million euro it would be a great deal, is that possible with real madrid tho ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

You're welcome lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,103 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

11/10 odds nothing amazing, mate sent it on to me

It was 3/1 yesterday with Paddy Power when the news broke that he wasn’t going to be involved with Ajax due to “transfer developments”. An easy few quid for those who took a punt on it.

In other rumours, a private plane (oe-fbd) that flew from London to Amsterdam this evening, (allegedly with Matt Judge on board) later flew on to Cologne. Probably to be taken with a pinch of salt but interesting all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lads, donny van de beek, utd legend in the making. Super signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Oh he's definitely gonna ruffle some feathers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

FourFourFM wrote: »
    It was 3/1 yesterday with Paddy Power when the news broke that he wasn’t going to be involved with Ajax due to “transfer developments”. An easy few quid for those who took a punt on it.

In other rumours, a private plane (oe-fbd) that flew from London to Amsterdam this evening, (allegedly with Matt Judge on board) later flew on to Cologne. Probably to be taken with a pinch of salt but interesting all the same.

Just checked when I placed the bet. 9th of June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Just seen a few of VDB highlight reels and think McTominay, Fred and Lingard reels could look more exciting. Looks like a grafter, not particularly easy on the eye. Nothing wrong with that of course but I don't see huge scope for improvement.

Suppose the retail therapy will make a lot of supporters happy but I don't see the point of this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Just seen a few of VDB highlight reels and think McTominay, Fred and Lingard reels could look more exciting. Looks like a grafter, not particularly easy on the eye. Nothing wrong with that of course but I don't see huge scope for improvement.

Suppose the retail therapy will make a lot of supporters happy but I don't see the point of this one.

Ah, sh*t, really? I do wish our scouting department would cop on and do their due dilligence properly and watch the bloody youtube highlights... what are they like?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Ah, sh*t, really? I do wish our scouting department would cop on and do their due dilligence properly and watch the bloody youtube highlights... what are they like?!

maybe you could tell me what I'm missing?

of course i think recruitment has certainly improved so yes we should be trusting until proven otherwise.

what i meant is that i don't see much from those clips that McTominay (an academy graduate/homegrown player) couldn't do or indeed Fred. I don't like seeing academy players being cast aside unless for a player that is really an outstanding prospect.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

High workrate.
    Can play in multiple positions.
    Incredibly talented with huge potential.

Fantastic squad signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

I’d watch them again. Or watch some more ones. Or watch him play a game if that’s the conclusion you came to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

what i meant is that i don't see much from those clips that McTominay (an academy graduate/homegrown player) couldn't do or indeed Fred. I don't like seeing academy players being cast aside unless for a player that is really an outstanding prospect.

Part of the problem is there is plenty that Fred and McTominay could do, but they dont do it very often. Every time we think theyve turned a corner they regress again, so if someone can do those things more consistently, they'll be a good addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

SomberEvergreenEuropeanpolecat-size_restricted.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

of course i think recruitment has certainly improved so yes we should be trusting until proven otherwise.

Others have covered it mostly but I don't think he's been bought to replace either Fred or McT. He's likely been bought to alleviate the need to rely on Andreas and Lingard. A selection of Matc, Fred, McT, VDB, Bruno, Pogba & Mata offers great versatility.

I also happen to believe VDB's got world class potential, based on the full games I've seen. I'm hugely excited by this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Matic, Fred, McT, VDB, Bruno, Pogba. is that too many now for 3 positions? thats not including mata, jesse and andreas. would like to see the latter 2 move on now. what could you realistically expect - ~35m for both?

last season appearances: 19 AM, 18 CM.

you can find more detailed stats here:
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/donny-van-de-beek/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/288255/plus/0?saison=2018&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

it seems he's equally adept in both positions, giving alot of versatility.

Matic, Fred, McT, VDB, Bruno, Pogba. is that too many now for 3 positions? thats not including mata, jesse and andreas. would like to see the latter 2 move on now. what could you realistically expect - ~35m for both?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/donny-van-de-beek/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/288255/plus/0?saison=2018&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

I don’t think so. One injury and our midfield looks light at the moment (especially if it’s to Bruno, Matic, or Pogba). Also with the amount of games I think it’s good to have another option there and it will hopefully stop Bruno being run into the ground as we saw towards the end of this season.

I don’t think the club consider Mata a central midfielder anymore. He’s pretty much always put on the right wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

love this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

scudzilla wrote: »
    I was thinking more Rovers/Bohs

Don't want him....

Fred was one of our best players this season before lockdown. There’s absolutely no need to move him on.

Says as much about Utd pre lockdown as it does about Fred. Not at the level required imo.

Says as much about Utd pre lockdown as it does about Fred. Not at the level required imo.

Personally I feel he’s judged too harshly by some fans, probably because of his first season and price tag. I think he showed this year that he’s a good player to have in the squad.

Either way I can’t see him going this season. There are other players you’d have ahead of him to leave like Andreas.

Personally I feel he’s judged too harshly by some fans, probably because of his first season and price tag. I think he showed this year that he’s a good player to have in the squad.

Either way I can’t see him going this season. There are other players you’d have ahead of him to leave like Andreas.

100%, and Lingard, but I certainly wouldn't be heartbroken to see Fred leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

VDB coming in will most likely allow Fernandes to get a rest in certain games given he was burnt out towards the tail end of the season. There will be 55/60 odd games all going well so he'll get plenty of minutes/games.

He's offensively minded but his versatility does allow him to come in for Matic or Pogba depending on the opposition too.

Playing in that Fernandes role, we'd have Lingard or Pereira, neither trusted by Solskjaer so certainly a major improvement.

He was in the top 30 nominees for the Ballon d'Or last year at 22, seems to be a bit of a work horse and have a winning mentality.

It's a very smart signing IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Trigger wrote: »

I think I'll go with the guy who watched the YouTube clip analysis over this fake news.... sheeple.

Great signing. Badly needed someone to take the burden of Bruno. Give us a LB and WR and I'll be happy. A CB to top it off Ed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

At best, he’s forth or fifth choice CM now.

What level do you think our fourth or fifth choice CM should be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Very, very happy if we sign VDB. Hopefully this rules out a move for Grealish. VDB is a better player and costs less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Rock77 wrote: »
    Very, very happy if we sign VDB. Hopefully this rules out a move for Grealish. VDB is a better player and costs less.

I think that's the end of any interest for Grealish, half the price for a similar versatile player.
    That 40m difference should be able to get a CB.
    With a CB in, then nothing stopping all of Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Lingard, Pereria and probably Romero now Henderson has re-signed. I'd say Mata will be kept unless a RW is signed.
    Should be getting 60-70m for all those plus 350k+ off the weekly wage bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Absolutely not.

Matic's game time needs to be managed as we know. Pogba has had so many injury issues the last 12 months. He needs to show better consistency too. And of course his agent is liable to start rocking the boat at any time.
    This is great competition for the CM/AM positions.
    It's also an option to rest Bruno, we can't keep running him into the ground like we did 2nd half of last season.

Great start to the week reading this news :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

VDB, to me, is most like Herrera in terms of position. I'm not fully convinced that he'll make the step up. He definitely can, but as you say with so many central players who can't play wide I'd just hope he gets enough time to adapt and games under his belt early on.

Shrewd signing at a great price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

Upmamecano moves about to happen as well.

This is a drastic improvement. These moves should put pressure on Dortmund as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

This is a drastic improvement. These moves should put pressure on Dortmund as well.

Dortmund don't want to sell, hence the price tag and the insistence on a full upfront payment. And he'll still be worth a fortune next season. These possible moves won't be putting any pressure on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Any source on Upmamecano?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Dortmund don't want to sell, hence the price tag and the insistence on a full upfront payment. And he'll still be worth a fortune next season. These possible moves won't be putting any pressure on them.

Looks like Liverpool are close to getting Sarr from Watford.

Shame. He would be a good 2nd choice RW signing (assuming Sancho doesn't happen for us).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He only signed new contract during summer and his release clause of 42m does not come into play till next summer.

Doubt we are close to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,103 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

PARlance wrote: »
    Any source on Upmamecano?

Mark Ogden - https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/4170326/man-united-target-leipzigs-upamecano-after-sealing-van-de-beek-deal-sources

Won’t be getting too excited about this unless others confirm but he would be a fantastic signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would be delighted with VDB personally. I think he could rotate in for Pogba and Bruno quite well. Is a very good user of the ball, smart player. I kind of see him as the player Lingard wishes he was, or the player some (me) thought Pereira could become. hard working, good running, good ball use and extremely intelligent when it comes to off the ball movement. A much better guy coming off the bench to liven up the midfield offensively than Fred, McT, Pereira or Lingard.

I don't think he is a flashy dribbler or will light the league up with skills, but he will be a very intelligent addition to the midfield, and improve the quality of our play. A, potentially, very astute signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Looks like Liverpool are close to getting Sarr from Watford.

No chance. He's too expensive for Liverpool. UK tabloids just filling the inches.

Good player alright, and mates with Sadio Mane. But Liverpool have no need for another attacker that will miss the AFCON

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He only signed new contract during summer and his release clause of 42m does not come into play till next summer.

Doubt we are close to him

He was out of contract next summer without a new contract.

IMO the new contract simply stops him leaving on a free next summer. I think if a club offers either what his release fee was or close to it, he could be got this summer.

I actually thought earlier this summer, when he signed the contract, that there was a high chance of him leaving this summer on loan (for a fee) with an obligation to buy at the release clause next summer - say 5-10m for the loan - meaning 47/52million in total in comparison to what had been 60 and would be 42 next summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement