Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Owls

• 27-08-2020 1:24am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭

I was out in the Burren the other night and I seen a huge owl.
    I don't think it was an escapee from the bird of prey center near ailawee cave.

But this one was huge and almost flew in slow motion, and the funny thing about it was there was a small bird harassing the owl, but it looked like the owl was ignoring it or enjoying the chase.
    It was twilight and in order to enjoy the sight I didn't bother get distracted by getting out my phone and taking a picture.

Can anyone tell me if there's large owls in Ireland ?

It was a dark colour and very fluffy looking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

I don't know, but I was once mistaken for food by an owl as it dived . I just saw the 6foot plus wide shadow in time, and instinctively I dived flat down on my nose on the ground pronto!. Dosn't help you much Bird watch Ireland might, they have groups over most of the country.
    Lovely moonlite night memory, once I recovered!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

That's similar to my story as the owl swooped low near me, I started to read online about them today.

Even some people suggested that they're not of this world lol and associate them with cryptoids and UFO's.

I'm definitely going to get a photo of this owl and not going to give an exact location, because I fear it getting too much attention and I will try to observe it more on my own.

The small bird harassing it looked amazing.

Yes, I would not give a location either, it needs its space to do its own thing. There is a Goddess associated with them ....how unearth has that has been translated into UFO's????
    Otherworldly yes, in the sense they are mainly creatures of the night whereas humans mainly are creatures of the day.
    Enjoy the experience

speckle wrote: »
    Yes, I would not give a location either, it needs its space to do its own thing. There is a Goddess associated with them ....how unearth has that has been translated into UFO's????
    Otherworldly yes, in the sense they are mainly creatures of the night whereas humans mainly are creatures of the day.
    Enjoy the experience

Yes definitely needs to be left alone, I'm a creature of the night myself too.

The sounds in the hazel scrub and valleys in the Burren at night would put the hair's standing on the back of the average person's neck.

I embrace that dark side of night, I've often taken pictures of the wedge tomb's at night and moonlit night sky and cratageus trees in the background.
    I remember one night two detectives got a report of strange light's in a valley full of Hazelwood and it was me.
    We shared a flask of tea and biscuits.
    They were intrigued with someone out hiking in the dark.
    It's common land so I wasn't trespassing.

I'm not afraid of the dark etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Vittu

It may have been a long eared owl.

• Advertisement

Vittu wrote: »
    It may have been a long eared owl.

Thanks, I just got a PM earlier suggesting it was a long eared owl.

I've seen White owl's swooping down in front of the dimmed headlights when I was driving slowly in the winter.

They follow the car and could be looking for prey along the line of trees and shrubs.

Majestic and intriguing birds for sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There was a snowy owl which set up home in the burren about five years ago, but you mention the one you saw looked dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Long Eared Owl would be most likely given their distribution and your description, however, they are a relative small owl (although they may look bigger than what really are).

There was a snowy owl which set up home in the burren about five years ago, but you mention the one you saw looked dark.

Yes it definitely was dark,but the description above of the white owl could following me along the road could be a snowy owl, they're usually in Canada are they, the snowy owls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

speckle wrote: »
    Yes, I would not give a location either, it needs its space to do its own thing. There is a Goddess* associated with them ....how unearth has that has been translated into UFO's????
    Enjoy the experience

UFOs: Perhaps in most recent times the movie: 'The 4th Kind', based on a true story over in Alaska, Mr Owl shows up at the window nightly at 3.15am before Mr Grey (with similar big eyes) takes someone for a poke and probe.

HjSZgY2.png

PG-13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGpbxFusUuw

Likely also a dose of mythical tales or symbology (the watchers, synchronicity, messengers, or wise ones), Owls are of the night what Eagles are of the day.

More modern occult folks such as the Bohemian Grove (pagan) partygoers enjoy gathering around ye olde (30 foot) owl. Architecture (FrostBank Tower in Austin Tx), not to mention rather a few scattered across Yale, Oxford, NYC and Ldn. Other cults such as the Illums, Masons etc also enjoy a dose of wee owl symbology.

For the ancient Egyptians, Celtics, and Hindus owls were connected to guardianship of the underworlds, and protection of the dead. Native Americans thought the Boreal Owl was a summoning to the spirit world. In Magagasgar the dance on the graves of the buried. Greeks lined them to Athena (*Goddess of wisdom), and even featured on coinage of ancient Greece.

For the ancient Egyptians, Celtics, and Hindus owls were connected to guardianship of the underworlds, and protection of the dead. Native Americans thought the Boreal Owl was a summoning to the spirit world. In Magagasgar the dance on the graves of the buried. Greeks lined them to Athena (*Goddess of wisdom), and even featured on coinage of ancient Greece.

Interesting birds in our house are associated with the news of a death within our family... we just take it for granted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

YOLO!

We all know what that means?

You obviously love owls!

Yeaaaaah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Long eared owls are substantial birds and sound like a good bet. I have seen smaller birds (blackbird) go nuts until one flew off.
    Other large possibilities include Grey heron - I've often seen them fly at twilight - or possibly hen harrier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

nthclare wrote: »

I embrace that dark side

That you, Darth nthclare?

:pac:

endacl wrote: »
    That you, Darth nthclare?

:pac:

I must do lol because I'm just up from a snooze and checked out board's ,and up pop's your post lol

Yes I'm a bit dark alright, and love from the twilight until daybreak and then it's like oh no it's daytime lol have to go to work.

I find sunlight drains my energy, even on a hot day I'll recoil and head out to the beach or find a rocky outcrop between Lisdoonvarna and Fanore and fish away and just chill with a flask of tea and something healthy to eat, after 6 in the evening, it's only 15 minutes from my house.

Too many people at the beaches during the day there and I just can't cope with the masses.

I'm a bit odd as you can see from my post history lol bit of a lone wolf.

Although sometimes I can be a bit strident with my posting style, I never mean to hurt anyone's feelings and frequently I'll apologize for my miss read endeavours.

On another note I love owls, have done since I was a kid.
    Always found them intriguing and the Owl and the Pussycat was read to me a lot as a kid.
    My dad must have been blue in the face reading it :)

I was up last night until 1am with a headlight and camera looking for owls and bats in a Hazelwood in a valley in the Burren.

Unfortunately I only seen two bats and no owl.

I'll head out again tomorrow evening, bat **** crazy lol

Long eared owls are substantial birds and sound like a good bet. I have seen smaller birds (blackbird) go nuts until one flew off.
    Other large possibilities include Grey heron - I've often seen them fly at twilight - or possibly hen harrier

Yes you're right about the blackbird going nuts after the owl.

Ironically the black bird has old pagan conotations.

Blackbirds are, for some people, considered a good omen. Others believe that the Blackbird brings the lessons learned in meditation. It is also associated with travel to the Otherworld and the mysteries found there. Blackbird people are good to call upon when spiritual matters are at hand, and often, while rare, they are the best people to have when in a group.

The blackbirds iridescent black plumage holds the energies of mysticism and magic. Druid legends say that the birds of Rhiannan are 3 blackbirds which sit and sing in the World tree of other worlds. Their singing puts the listener into a sleep or a trance which enables him or her to travel to the otherworld. It was said to impart mystic secrets.

Advertisement