Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭redarmy

Rory on Bryson: "I think it's brilliant, but I think he's taken advantage of where the game is at the minute. ... With the way he approaches it, arm-lock putting, everything. I'm not saying that's right or wrong. He's just taking advantage of what we have right now."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Denny61 wrote: »
    BRICKING..HORRIFICALLY..F**K DESTROY..Jesus golf really excites you..take a chill pill mate lol.

You need to re-read my post, "destroy" was the only one of those 4 words that I capitalised. You are the one who seems to be getting over-stimulated: bed time maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

byronbay2 wrote: »
    You need to re-read my post, "destroy" was the only one of those 4 words that I capitalised. You are the one who seems to be getting over-stimulated: bed time maybe?
    lol.lol.

Lots of people in the PGA going to be bricking themselves tonight! If he can win (easily!) at Winged Foot, with tight (25 yard wide) fairways, horrifically deep rough, massively undulating, rock-hard greens and terrible pin-placements, he can win ANYWHERE, with his "method"!

Can't believe he was never warned or put on the clock tonight. He seemed to be playing unbelievably slowly, almost "f*ck you" slowly!

If he can take Winged Foot apart, he will DESTROY Augusta! Can the PGA Bryson-proof it in time for The Masters??

Wing foot suits his style tbf augusta wont it'll suit the elite iron players more not to say he cant win there but the fairways are much more generous and bomb and gouge aint a viable option there, his length will always help of course but his irons are muck.

Open parklands with little trees are bread and butter to his game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Lots of people in the PGA going to be bricking themselves tonight! If he can win (easily!) at Winged Foot, with tight (25 yard wide) fairways, horrifically deep rough, massively undulating, rock-hard greens and terrible pin-placements, he can win ANYWHERE, with his "method"!

Can't believe he was never warned or put on the clock tonight. He seemed to be playing unbelievably slowly, almost "f*ck you" slowly!

If he can take Winged Foot apart, he will DESTROY Augusta! Can the PGA Bryson-proof it in time for The Masters??

I've seen the argument made by a few people this week that the thick rough is actually an advantage to the bombers as they can hack out with more lofted clubs.

I tend to agree with this and I think the bomber's advantage will be somewhat negated by the non existent Augusta rough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fair to say he's changed the game of golf. Phenomenal stuff.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭valoren

The Masters committee run that Major. Nothing to do with the PGA tour. They've already made Augusta a US Open-lite course. Watson hitting a wedge for his 2nd into the 13th in 2014 was a harniger for the bomb it type approach BDC has put into play. He's certainly favorite now.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

Think the R&A and PGA will have to do something to change things up. The distances are becoming unsustainable but golf companies wont change as technology drives sales, "get the longest driver", "more spin ball" etc etc

Maybe limit the amount of times a player can hit driver in a round....might bring more players into it then...

Stop these stupid 230 yard par 3's (which only benefit the longer hitters)...means iron play becomes more important if they are shorter, stupid seeing pro's having to hit hybrid to a par 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Not a huge fan of Bryson but fair play to him for sticking to his plan.
    Plenty including paul mcginley said he'd shoot 5 over everyday with his blast and gouge approach.
    Can just see lads thinking the gym and protein shakes will be the way ahead. It's gonna be carnage now with drives sprayed in an attempt to emulate Bryson etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Gym and protein shakes my arse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,117 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Be interesting to see if any players follow his method over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

eagle eye wrote: »
    If you asked me to pick two players that I don't want to win you get an automatic answer, 1. Patrick Reed 2. Bryson DeChambeau.
    If you asked me for three I'd struggle to think of a third.
    Reed is a cheat, DeChambeau is unmannerly, thumps his clubs off the ground with temper on occasion, even on the green, and is so slow.
    When DeChambeau came along I liked him because he was different but not anymore for the reasons mentioned above.

Iam no fan of DeChambeau but a lot of players will bang their clubs and curse (Wolff was cursing non stoo the second nine)
    I just can't stand the pace of play, its too slow and is the last thing I want to see emulated across younger golfers where 5 hour rounds are a thing..
    Grew up and a slow round was 3hr 30 mins and now playing on Sunday and will be 4 hrs plus.

People talk about his length for me his accuracy with the length is the impressive part, DJ, Wolff all hit as long or longer when needs be but this week his short game was the strongest part of his game and yesterday his accuracy when hitting big balls and his putting was on point as was his short game which has not always been the way and this is where the gains are made right now...

I just can't get past the pace of play though, it must be offputting for players also

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Has he though?
    Is he not just doing the same as Nicklaus, Daly, Woods in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Can't wait to see how this 48" driver will work out. When is he next scheduled to play?

Rippeditup wrote: »
    Iam no fan of DeChambeau but a lot of players will bang their clubs and curse (Wolff was cursing non stoo the second nine)
    I just can't stand the pace of play, its too slow and is the last thing I want to see emulated across younger golfers where 5 hour rounds are a thing..
    Grew up and a slow round was 3hr 30 mins and now playing on Sunday and will be 4 hrs plus.

People talk about his length for me his accuracy with the length is the impressive part, DJ, Wolff all hit as long or longer when needs be but this week his short game was the strongest part of his game and yesterday his accuracy when hitting big balls and his putting was on point as was his short game which has not always been the way and this is where the gains are made right now...

I just can't get past the pace of play though, it must be offputting for players also

The need to ban the greens books, so much time take up farting around on the green.

GreeBo wrote: »
    The need to ban the greens books, so much time take up farting around on the green.

and the line on the ball.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

It's no different to what tiger did and jack back in the day, Rory koepka and others have also tried the same.
    Fair play to him, i don't really like watching him as i'm a purist of the sport but you have to admire his commitment

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Yup agree...

Been out for a long time and played most of my golf pre GPS/Laser where we had to walk out yards etc and the game was so so much quicker, I use a watch now and have my yardage right there and for me this kind of info should make the game quicker but if anything people take longer.. I don't get why as think back to us having paper yardage books and having to walk out distances, being offline and you had to guess yardages and again it was quicker.

The green book they study and understand it ahead of time, the "routine" of going over and over it again is a routine intently done rather than needed as a lot of other pro's who have the same info are not taking near as long and are winning.. Wolff, DJ, Rory etc are all fast players with the green book..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭abff

I know that DeChambeau can appear incredibly slow at times, but I didn't get the impression that they were falling significantly behind the group in front of them last night.

etxp wrote: »
    and the line on the ball.

I'm ok with the line on the ball, actually timing them should stop all this nonsense.
    The last group were told to hurry up or they would be put on the clock... Just put them on the bloody clock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Banning the green books is a great idea

I agree the line on the ball needs to go aswell. It's infuriating watching lads taking an extra 20 seconds to readjust the line by a fraction of a degree

El Sueño wrote: »
    Banning the green books is a great idea

I agree the line on the ball needs to go aswell. It's infuriating watching lads taking an extra 20 seconds to readjust the line by a fraction of a degree

To be fair its probably more in the amateur game it needs to go. Watching lads lining it up and then they blast the putt 10 feet past, or 5 feet wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Gym and protein shakes my arse

Yes, this has to be talked about. He literally is the elephant in the room right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Borgo wrote: »
    I dont get at all the hate here and across social media for Bryson tonight. Whats the big deal? Just because hes a big lad and smashes it? So what? He believes in something different and has done well with it tonight. Not many thought he could dont forget. He may be not everyone's cup of tea, but he deserves credit. I like that hes different. Great performance. Fair play to him.

He's a big lad? Well he wasn't six months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Yes, this has to be talked about. He literally is the elephant in the room right now.

I gained 1.5 stone in 4 weeks during lockdown and lost it again in the following 4 weeks. It wasn't some experiment to do with my golf, and I've no doubt I could put on as much weight as Bryson if I was actually trying to put on weight.

There could be something more to it, Golf doesn't hold itself up great when it comes to testing... but I don't look at his weight / muscle gain and think there's something suspect tbh. And I'm normally cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

PARlance wrote: »
    I gained 1.5 stone in 4 weeks during lockdown and lost it again in the following 4 weeks. It wasn't some experiment to do with my golf, and I've no doubt I could put on as much weight as Bryson if I was actually trying to put on weight.

There could be something more to it, Golf doesn't hold itself up great when it comes to testing... but I don't look at his weight / muscle gain and think there's something suspect tbh. And I'm normally cynical.
    You didn't gain 1.5 stone of largely muscle though, its vastly different.

AdamD wrote: »

Did Bryson though?
    Or is he saying he did? He doesnt look like all muscle to me at all, not like Koepka for example and he certainly has a little covid belly!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

AdamD wrote: »

You're telling me!!!!

I'd say Bryson has a couple of handles as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Did Bryson though?
    Or is he saying he did? He doesnt look like all muscle to me at all, not like Koepka for example and he certainly has a little covid belly!

His entire body shape has changed and whilst its not all muscle, he absolutely has added a tonne. Look at his upper body shape, he looks like a bodybuilder. Its certainly suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

AdamD wrote:
    His entire body shape has changed and whilst its not all muscle, he absolutely has added a tonne. Look at his upper body shape, he looks like a bodybuilder. Its certainly suspect.
    Putting on muscle is not suspect. There are plenty of legal supplements to help you do it quickly.

Advertisement