Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Surprised considering the way Covid 19 is sweeping through America, that spectators are allowed at this week's PGA
    Tour event in Houston.

They all seem to be wearing masks but there is no social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Surprised considering the way Covid 19 is sweeping through America, that spectators are allowed at this week's PGA
    Tour event in Houston.

They all seem to be wearing masks but there is no social distancing.

Am I missing something or is this not on telly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Remind me wrote: »
    Am I missing something or is this not on telly?

Coverage was from 6 to 9, then they went to the desert to watch the girls play. Featured groups were on the red button at 12:50.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Slight side track but Sky Sports have been streaming a lot of Ladies golf the past few weeks free on YouTube, yesterday the Dubai feed was free on YT

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Slight side track but Sky Sports have been streaming a lot of Ladies golf the past few weeks free on YouTube, yesterday the Dubai feed was free on YT

It's on the red button a lot as well. This tournament is finished today, 3 rounds Wednesday to Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Coverage was from 6 to 9, then they went to the desert to watch the girls play. Featured groups were on the red button at 12:50.

Why are they only showing 3 hours a night? Its finished at 9 tonight and Spieths group are only on their 10th with plenty of others still out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Why are they only showing 3 hours a night? Its finished at 9 tonight and Spieths group are only on their 10th with plenty of others still out there.

An attempt at being more PC I would guess. Silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

It's on the red button a lot as well. This tournament is finished today, 3 rounds Wednesday to Friday.

The caddy on eventual winner's bag, Minjee Lee, a member of Charleville GC in Cork seemingly.

The caddy on eventual winner's bag, Minjee Lee, a member of Charleville GC in Cork seemingly.

Just saw the end, she sank a nice putt in the playoff, was right in the middle, Celine Boutier should have won but messed up the par 5 17th, losing the ball with her second, when 2 irons would have left her a birdie putt. All the trouble to the right, but she took on the pin, may not have known a 5 would be sufficient. Its a nice way to make a living when it is going well, travelling the world, but sometimes it's just like a normal job, lots of time away from home. As to the questions surrounding the Houston Open coverage, perhaps its because Tiger is not playing. They showed every one of Mickelsons 149 shots, missed the cut by lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Nice to see all 3 Irish golfers make the cut in Houston.

I see that the round was suspended due to darkness with just one player, Charl Schwartzel, still to complete his round. Given that he is right on the cut mark and needs to get up and down from just off the green at his last hole in order to make the cut, he can hardly be blamed for deciding he didn’t want to finish out. But I’m sure his playing partners are not too pleased with having to return to the course at 7:15 this morning to watch him finish out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

abff wrote: »
    Nice to see all 3 Irish golfers make the cut in Houston.

I see that the round was suspended due to darkness with just one player, Charl Schwartzel, still to complete his round. Given that he is right on the cut mark and needs to get up and down from just off the green at his last hole in order to make the cut, he can hardly be blamed for deciding he didn’t want to finish out. But I’m sure his playing partners are not too pleased with having to return to the course at 7:15 this morning to watch him finish out.

Who are his playing partners? I presume they finished out already? Does protocol dictate they would actually have to be there in that scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,497 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Who are his playing partners? I presume they finished out already? Does protocol dictate they would actually have to be there in that scenario?
    Wondering about that myself, haven't they changed things where you mark your own card now due to covid-19?
    I presume nobody else signs your card so he'd only need to have an official with him.

His playing partners were Scottie Scheffler, who made the cut with a shot to spare and Tim Hope, who missed the cut by 2. Unfortunately for Charl, he bogeyed his final hole and missed the cut by 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

abff wrote: »
    His playing partners were Scottie Scheffler, who made the cut with a shot to spare and Tim Hope, who missed the cut by 2. Unfortunately for Charl, he bogeyed his final hole and missed the cut by 1.

Tim Hope must be an autocorrect from Tom Hoge! But any idea if they had to witness Charl finishing out? Still though, round 3 started early enough anyway, I doubt Hoge had to hang about considering he missed the cut.

Tim Hope must be an autocorrect from Tom Hoge! But any idea if they had to witness Charl finishing out? Still though, round 3 started early enough anyway, I doubt Hoge had to hang about considering he missed the cut.

Yes, that’s right. I didn’t notice the autocorrect.

No idea regarding the other issue. It would seem particularly harsh to force someone who’s missed the cut to stay over until the following morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Dustin Lowry koepka all in contention at Houston

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Golf is back on the TV tonight thankfully although not on until 11pm on sky. I see Finau is in the Field, i thought this tournament was for 2020 winners only?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

etxp wrote:
    Golf is back on the TV tonight thankfully although not on until 11pm on sky. I see Finau is in the Field, i thought this tournament was for 2020 winners only?

Anyone who got to East lake in 2020 qualifies,trying to get as big a field as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Positiveways

Looks like there will be a big emphasis on the pace of play this year on the PGA Tour (at long last), with shot penalties for offenders who are given two bad times in a round. The big question is what happens if Bryson deChambeau and Patrick Cantlay, notorious for deliberate and very slow play, continues to play this way?

Have the PGA Tour got it in them to go after Bryson and Patrick as much as Ben Crane, will the tour play hardball regardless of reputation? If this new policy is going to work it must be fair and go after EVERY player who offends on slow play. Not just the journeyman pro but the players among the higher echelons of the game.

On a separate note Bryson it seems has been hitting the gym again, averaging over 210 mph ball speed! He holds the current record for the fastest ball speed at 199.55 mph on the PGA Tour, so expect that figure to be obliterated if not this week, then certainly over the course of the early part of the year for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

https://twitter.com/PGA/status/1348464912729780231

I assume we won't see the Open at Turnberry for the foreseeable either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

It's meant to be an unreal course though which is a pity we wont get to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Rikand wrote: »
    It's meant to be an unreal course though which is a pity we wont get to see it

Which one?? The new Tirnberey is supposed to be great in fairness. He has been a big help for golf in some aspects but ultimately it’s going all in a negative direction now and has been for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Which one?? The new Tirnberey is supposed to be great in fairness. He has been a big help for golf in some aspects but ultimately it’s going all in a negative direction now and has been for a long time

No, I meant the american one. But all his courses are pretty savage to be fair.

As odious as trump is I'm not sure I agree with that move. 75 million Americans voted for him. Sport should stay out of politics until someone is actually convicted of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

As odious as trump is I'm not sure I agree with that move. 75 million Americans voted for him. Sport should stay out of politics until someone is actually convicted of something.

Have you switched on your TV since Wednesday?

It is/was expected that Ivanka would run in the 2022 primaries, it would have been hard for Trump to resist that type of exposure to further his own agenda. I think it was the right decision by the PGA, the Trump brand is now toxic, it would be controversy they don’t need.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Any word on what happened with Justin Thomas? I see he had to issue a public apology for something in his round?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Has it not been all over the place? Used a homophobic word beginning with 'F'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Since the golfing media seem to fawn over JT every chance they get it must've been a tough story to report on. Imagine if Bryson or Reed had said it

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lip Out

El Sueño wrote: »
    Since the golfing media seem to fawn over JT every chance they get it must've been a tough story to report on. Imagine if Bryson or Reed had said it

Imagine a world where snowflakes were not champing at the bit ready to be offended by the slightest thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

El Sueño wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/PGA/status/1348464912729780231

I assume we won't see the Open at Turnberry for the foreseeable either

Fake News ? :D

Advertisement