Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Was watching the coverage last night.
    The Sky commentary is beyond awful.
    Why can’t they just use the CBS commentators? Coltart, Rob Lee etc are unfunny, uninteresting and unintelligent!

Coltard is shocking, but it bets listening to Mark Roe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Was watching the coverage last night.
    The Sky commentary is beyond awful.
    Why can’t they just use the CBS commentators? Coltart, Rob Lee etc are unfunny, uninteresting and unintelligent!

I don't mind them, better than listening to the yanks and Faldo anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

That Patrick reed ruling looked fine to me. All the volunteers fault. He should have said it bounced. Reed had no choice but to assume what he was told and the referee gave him the ruling, so hes crystal clear imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Rikand wrote: »
    That Patrick reed ruling looked fine to me. All the volunteers fault. He should have said it bounced. Reed had no choice but to assume what he was told and the referee gave him the ruling, so hes crystal clear imo

If it was anyone else it would be a non issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Onus isn't on a volunteer though. He shouldn't have picked it up first, just wait for official to come over and then there's no controversy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Reed actually lifted his ball and put it down again before the referee arrived, and apparently without consulting his playing partners. It was not clear whether the referee knew that or not.

Didn’t the new rules of golf change and you no longer have to inform anyone when you mark & pick up your ball ? I’m fairly sure they did, but not 100% tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Not sure I agree, look at the bounce of the ball. There's no way it could have been embedded

https://twitter.com/KylePorterCBS/status/1355632629148770304

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

McIlroy did exactly the same as Reed yesterday!
    Except McIlroy didn’t even call for a referee.

Reed did nothing wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Reed did nothing wrong

Looks like the PGA tour came under a lot of pressure to release the video of Rory’s drop and then defend the actions of both and their rules officials.

To me it looks like Rory’s popped up and dropped back into the original pitch mark which is not the case in the Reed plugged lie. Rory is clearly very sure it is plugged as he states it to his playing partners and they tell him the rule. He has no history of trying to gain an advantage. In fact the opposite happened at the pga last year.

Reed’s incident is not only the fact that it clearly bounces before landing in the supposed plug mark but also the fact he lifts the ball up without marking, puts it in his palm and then moves it a few feet away before then asking for a ruling.

Reed did nothing wrong

Mcillroy doesn't move the ball before declaring anything, that'd be my biggest issue with it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Mushy wrote: »
    Mcillroy doesn't move the ball before declaring anything, that'd be my biggest issue with it all

The attempts to equate McIllroy's behaviour with Reed's are a disgrace. One is a cheat, one isn't.

Surely we get a playoff between Rory and Reed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Looks like the PGA tour came under a lot of pressure to release the video of Rory’s drop and then defend the actions of both and their rules officials.

To me it looks like Rory’s popped up and dropped back into the original pitch mark which is not the case in the Reed plugged lie. Rory is clearly very sure it is plugged as he states it to his playing partners and they tell him the rule. He has no history of trying to gain an advantage. In fact the opposite happened at the pga last year.

Reed’s incident is not only the fact that it clearly bounces before landing in the supposed plug mark but also the fact he lifts the ball up without marking, puts it in his palm and then moves it a few feet away before then asking for a ruling.
    The problem with Reed’s actions is that the ball could not possibly have been embedded given the way it landed.
    If he genuinely believed that it was embedded but wanted a rules official to verify that, he would not have touched it before calling the rules official.
    If he genuinely believed he was not breaking the rules in lifting his ball, why did he then call for the rules official after doing it.

I believe that Reed saw that he had a horrendous lie and engaged in a bit of dodgy stuff in order to gain an advantage.

Nail in the chasing pack coffin there by Reed with that eagle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Nail in the chasing pack coffin there by Reed with that eagle.

It’s some leaderboard though isn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

As long as he doesn't have too many chip shots I think Hovland could do it, hope so anyway!

Nice to see Molinari back playing well. Good finish last week and looks like a top 10 this week too.

Hopefully one of the Europeans wins this anyway. Hovland and Rahm Right in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Is a rules official the only person who can declare a ball plugged/embedded? If not, could someone explain what exactly Reed did wrong? Considering neither he, nor anyone in his party saw the ball bounce...

Is a rules official the only person who can declare a ball plugged/embedded? If not, could someone explain what exactly Reed did wrong? Considering neither he, nor anyone in his party saw the ball bounce...

No, just need to tell playing partners, but he picked up his ball too, he should have waited for the official if he was insistingon calling one. No idea why he called over the official tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

He declared a ball plugged when clearly it wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Just watching the Reed incident now. He says in interview that he marked it and then lifted it. Did he? Not that I can see. Sure he marked where he said it was when the ref gave him the drop...... to late Pat.

Unless I’m missing something, people are unhappy with his actions because he’s Patrick Reed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Unless I’m missing something, people are unhappy with his actions because he’s Patrick Reed.

Yes, that’s true. But it’s not just because of that. What he did was wrong. The fact that he has a history in this regard makes it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Cmon hovland

abff wrote: »
    Yes, that’s true. But it’s not just because of that. What he did was wrong. The fact that he has a history in this regard makes it worse.

I don’t think it was wrong. He marked, lifted and dropped a ball, without penalty, which he believed to have been plugged. He informed his playing partners that he was doing this. I didn’t see any replay footage which disproves this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

I don’t think it was wrong. He marked, lifted and dropped a ball, without penalty, which he believed to have been plugged. He informed his playing partners that he was doing this. I didn’t see any replay footage which disproves this.

In fairness, I didn’t see the incident, so maybe I’m guilty of rushing to judgement. I don’t like the guy - there’s something off about him. But I guess I shouldn’t let my prejudices influence me.

abff wrote: »
    In fairness, I didn’t see the incident, so maybe I’m guilty of rushing to judgement. I don’t like the guy - there’s something off about him. But I guess I shouldn’t let my prejudices influence me.

I’m not 100% clear on what happened myself.

Hovland the only man who can stop Reed the villain now.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

I’m not 100% clear on what happened myself.

Hovland the only man who can stop Reed the villain now.

looking unlikely now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Ball won't plug after a small hop. Think about it.

Rory's may have hopped back into his plug mark but Reed's clearly hopped forward. Couldn't have been embedded. He called for a ruling AFTER he moved his ball out of the alleged plug point. WTF. The judge can't rule on anything at this point because the ball is no longer embedded. No players or judges, other than Rory or Reed, confirmed the balls were embedded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

JFC.. Viktor...twice..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Advertisement