Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

This doesn't surprise me, sure I've seen multiple people on the forum over the years claim they have swing speeds and driving distances higher than pga tour average.

Not to mention the lads in the McIlroy thread who are better putters/wedge players/short irons than Rory. Belong over on the GolfWRX forums with the rest of the amateurs who should be on tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

This doesn't surprise me, sure I've seen multiple people on the forum over the years claim they have swing speeds and driving distances higher than pga tour average.

It's actually very common for that to be true. Speed is one thing, controlling it at high speeds is what separates tour players from good amateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Monster249 wrote: »
    It's actually very common for that to be true. Speed is one thing, controlling it at high speeds is what separates tour players from good amateurs.

I'm not sure that's true

Average swing speed of a scratch handicapper is 106 mph

PGA tour players would be 4-8 mph higher

I assume there are good amateurs with higher than average swing speeds, but I'd imagine them having higher swing speeds than an average PGA tour player is very rare indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

fullstop wrote: »
    Zalatoris seems to be there or there abouts every tournament he plays. On one of the NLU podcasts about a year ago they had one of the stats guys on (might have been the guy who does strokes gained) who said that their ranking system had him in the top 50 in the world at the time even though he was down around 250 because he was on the Korn Ferry. He’s now into the top 50 OWGR.

He's the Golden Goose of Top 20 bets. Have bet on him to place T20 or above every tournament since the US Open and think he has only let me down three times. And his odds are always great, don't know how they haven't shortened them at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

It’s really not very common. You’ll get the odd outlier for sure, but nowhere near the level people claim on those speed & distance threads. The funny thing is I think a lot of them believe it themselves.
    Then you’ve the lads every time McIlroy misses a green saying an 18 handicap wouldn’t miss a green from 100 yards. Sure thing :pac:

• Advertisement

A sad reality of the current state of the game with regard to pace of play that despite there being no delays they didn't get the first round finished. I know conditions were tough but it is unacceptable.

Either reduce the field or speed the players up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Exactly wrote: »
    A sad reality of the current state of the game with regard to pace of play that despite there being no delays they didn't get the first round finished. I know conditions were tough but it is unacceptable.

The biggest delays seem to be on the greens. Some players, (DJ is one of the worst), seem to think that they can take as long as they like when it is their turn to putt. I know it is difficult to determine what constitutes undue delay over a particular shot ‘through the green’ but I think that the officials should start to hand out penalties for players spending any more than 30 seconds when it is their turn to putt.
    The whole business of groups of players being ‘on the clock’ is just a joke. They should home in on the particular players who are causing undue delay and penalise them, starting with causing delay on the greens.

I can't see why they don't bring in golf carts for all players, it'd surely reduce round times by 30-40% at least?

It’s really not very common. You’ll get the odd outlier for sure, but nowhere near the level people claim on those speed & distance threads. The funny thing is I think a lot of them believe it themselves.
    Then you’ve the lads every time McIlroy misses a green saying an 18 handicap wouldn’t miss a green from 100 yards. Sure thing :pac:

Why do you have reason to doubt people? Anyone can go and do a trackman/GC4 session & that will tell them out straight what their speed is. There's definitely a lot of spoofing about the distance but someone can have PGA tour speed just from being athletic but their efficiency is way down, meaning they're hitting it 270 when they think they're bombing it 320 :pac:

Why do you have reason to doubt people? Anyone can go and do a trackman/GC4 session & that will tell them out straight what their speed is. There's definitely a lot of spoofing about the distance but someone can have PGA tour speed just from being athletic but their efficiency is way down, meaning they're hitting it 270 when they think they're bombing it 320 :pac:
    Well yeah they can jump out of their shoes to get swing speed up, but they’ll barely find the club face never mind the sweet spot, so that would be completely pointless.

• Advertisement

Well yeah they can jump out of their shoes to get swing speed up, but they’ll barely find the club face never mind the sweet spot, so that would be completely pointless.

Absolutely, that's what I'm saying! A lot of people can hit PGA swing speeds on the regular but actually keeping it in play for more than one or two holes at that speed is what separates professionals.

DeChambeau looks like he’s hit a few off the planet in his first 6 holes this morning, but only +1 for them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Always makes me feel better seeing these :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Ace for McCarthy, on3rd(his 12th)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Amazing how good Westwood has been since he got rid of his pro caddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Great to see him in such form. Wpuld love it if he got a major

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Some shot from Sergio into 11, unlucky for an albatross.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

A roll away from Albatross for Garcia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Sergio 6 ins from albatross

I know they're both top of the leaderboard, but I just can't see Westwood or Fitzpatrick winning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Dont think Westwood will be an assistant Captain for Ryder Cup, he's nailed on to make the team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

There is only so much a pro caddy would do for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,510 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Im really seems to like the Florida swing. Twice third at Bay Hill, defending champion next week at the Honda and here he is right in the thick of it at the Players. He's my fancy at this stage.
    It'll be interesting to see if Westwood can do it this week. He didn't really fall apart last weekend, just beaten by a better performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Maybe Rory needs to start riding harry ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Rikand wrote: »
    Maybe Rory needs to start riding harry ? :)

Or, ask his wife to caddy, anyone who works with their wife will tell you, slacking is not tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Thomas starts with 4 birdies in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

One of the most glorious videos of golf content ever produced. Just so good.

https://twitter.com/joechambers/status/1370799908651995137?s=21

Just came in to post the same. It’s brilliant. “I couldn’t have picked a worse person to hit into. Just as well I’m one of the few people he likes”

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Why did he drive off? Couldn't quite make it out but seems stupid.

Poor by Westwood not to get at least something from second hole, hopefully not a sign of things to come

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Why did he drive off? Couldn't quite make it out but seems stupid.

Poor by Westwood not to get at least something from second hole, hopefully not a sign of things to come

Said to Morikawa’s caddy he thought it was him forecaddying.

Love the bit about Morikawa’s gf!

Advertisement