Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Mushy wrote: »
    The standards are high eh?

Journeyman is a horrible enough term and I probably shouldn't use it, but it is used in sporting parlance.

In golf I'd use it for a guy who's never going to win a major or crack the top 20 in the world, but is good enough to hang around on tour maybe even win a tournament or two.

Na has five, so I know what you're saying, I'm probably a little biased against him as I've always viewed him as a little weak under pressure. But fair play to him he's come back from nearly not being able to take the club away to be better than ever and win some tournaments. maybe he can prove me completely wrong and sneak a PGA or something before he's done :o

Yeah and as mentioned above, the comms were completely clueless to what was going on too, like my initial reaction was to check shot tracker to see who played that shot but nothing from them, even when Long was on the green they had no clue Macintyre was there in 1, it's abysmal tbh.

Exactly, I was like who's ball is that, did Na's caddy drop it to put DJ off?! :pac: :D

But they were oblivious chatting away to each other, while a Brit no less hits the shot of a lifetime to go through!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

fullstop wrote: »
    Some achievement for him.

Wouldnt be shocked to see him at the Ryder Cup anyway, Harrington does think highly of him

Mushy wrote: »
    Wouldnt be shocked to see him at the Ryder Cup anyway, Harrington does think highly of him

He'll have to qualify though, he won't be picking any rookies not called Shane ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Rahm is such a big baby. Come on Palmer.

• Advertisement

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    Rahm is such a big baby. Come on Palmer.

He is, isn't he!

Himself, Hatton, Garcia, Byrson there's more than a couple of ass hats out there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Why is there no criticism of the format by the commentators?

ClutchIt wrote: »

Those on the gravy train rarely complain about the service!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

He is, isn't he!

Himself, Hatton, Garcia, Byrson there's more than a couple of ass hats out there at the moment.

Ah they show a bit of emotion, act the idiot a bit, childish in ways but I'd watch that ahead of the boring old farts

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

McGinley did earlier..he said he preferred straight knockout format but the players
    didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

McGinley did earlier..he said he preferred straight knockout format but the players
    didn't.

Can't blame then, imagine flying over from Asia, playing 13 holes, losing 6n5 and back on the plane. Viewing wise straight knock out definitely better though.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Ah they show a bit of emotion, act the idiot a bit, childish in ways but I'd watch that ahead of the boring old farts

Yeah, I agree and I kind of like Bryson, but it's the spoilt entitled behaviour that I cringe at.

Emotion; anger, sadness, frustration and the like I quite like to see as it's normal and dare I say it healthy.

Acting like a spoilt baby because there was a grain of sand or blade of grass out of place, not so much.

More like spoiled brats who don't realise how lucky they are..

didn't.

Poulter was saying this format is nonsense.
    Boo hoo if the players don't like it. It's sports entertainment. Win your match and stop cribbing.

Can't blame then, imagine flying over from Asia, playing 13 holes, losing 6n5 and back on the plane. Viewing wise straight knock out definitely better though.

Until you get Kevin Na v Adam Long in the 36 hole final and nobody watches it.

Remember the first edition? Everyone expected a showdown between Tiger and Els/Duval or another of the top dogs. Ended up with Andrew Magee v Jeff Maggert.

Remember the first edition? Everyone expected a showdown between Tiger and Els/Duval or another of the top dogs. Ended up with Andrew Magee v Jeff Maggert.

Yes this is the reason for for format change, not players feelings. This format guarantees big names for 3 days.

Yeah, there's been some crackers alright, I remember Kevin Sutherland vs Scott McCarron. But that's the beauty of the format in my view, just doesn't work for sponsors and TV companies, too unpredictable.

Yeah, there's been some crackers alright, I remember Kevin Sutherland vs Scott McCarron. But that's the beauty of the format in my view, just doesn't work for sponsors and TV companies, too unpredictable.

Yes, I'd prefer the straight knockout too. And it wouldn't kill them to do it for one event in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I think a better format would be to have the top 32 in the world rather than 64. Split them into 8 groups of 4 with the top two from each group going through to the last 16, similar to the format of the champion's league. I believe it'd be an improvement on the current format for three reasons:

1. With two going through from each group there'd be a lot less dead rubbers on Friday.

2. You've got the cream of the crop in the world's top 32 so you're a lot less likely to have a Dylan Fritelli in the latter stages.

3. They'd still get the big players entering as they know they won't be knocked out on Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

A lot of the big players going out . Not sure if the sponsors be happy about this.

• Advertisement

1. You'd have more dead rubbers. Players who won first 2, and players who lost first 2 have nothing to play for.

2. You're cancelling 32 players straight off so players would revolt and not accept.

3. Big name players will already play in any WGC no matter ther format. Prize is 1.8m.

Just do knockout.

1. You'd have more dead rubbers. Players who won first 2, and players who lost first 2 have nothing to play for.

2. You're cancelling 32 players straight off so players would revolt and not accept.

3. Big name players will already play in any WGC no matter ther format. Prize is 1.8m.

Just do knockout.

Knockout would be my preference too, it was way more exciting, but I think the top 32 would be preferable to top 64. If nothing else there'd be a more appealing last 16, on paper at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

They still get 30 or 40k for turning up, so if they don’t like it, don’t come!

The crowd are such knobs, shouting random ****e all the time. Frat boys showing off to their friends vibe off it.

fullstop wrote: »
    They still get 30 or 40k for turning up, so if they don’t like it, don’t come!

The crowd are such knobs, shouting random ****e all the time. Frat boys showing off to their friends vibe off it.

The PGA tour is one of the few sporting events that is better without fans imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The PGA tour is one of the few sporting events that is better without fans imo.

I think if golf drew the same kind of people here that it does in the US, I’d hate the sport!

I'd like to see a Rahm/Poulter quarter final.

I reckon Scheffler will put it up to Poulter tomorrow though. I'd expect Rahm to get through against Van Rooyen.

Would also like to see Spieth go far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

If your company is putting money into an event you want the top players around as long as possible.

It’s like when woods play. No matter what’s his score is he’s in coverage as he pulls in viewers. I don’t agree with it but that’s what it is.

Interesting of players in knockout phase is a lot of them around that top 50 spot in world rankings. Makes it a bit interesting in that way.

Good to see all the Irish players making cut on smaller event this week

Jon Rahm (3) is the only one of the top 20 seeds to make it out of the groups. I think this format makes it even less likely than straight knockout for the higher seeds to advance.

More than likely going to be a very unappealing final this year, might watch the football Sunday night or maybe even something even more constructive!

Kuchar versus Streelman or Mackensie Hughes would be a no for me. Kuchar versus anyone would nearly be a no for me but I'd probably watch one of the Europeans hopefully beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Anyone know what happened between Na and Johnson on 11 there? Na giving DJ a bit of a telling off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'm obviously in the minority but I love the format. Guaranteed you get to see the big names for 3 days and great to see a few further down the rankings settle their hash now and again. The playoffs yesterday were brilliant TV especially with a few matches going the extra holes. I would hope they keep this format long term

Advertisement