Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Grand way to pass the weekend but the only things I'll really remember are Sergio's hole in one and Horschel's duff from the middle of the fairway.

Roll on the Masters.

And Fleetwoods hole in one where fritelli called it from 25 feet out

• Registered Users Posts: 38,510 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rikand wrote:
    Ah sure you might as well pick names out of a hat so in that case
    Or maybe pick the best golfers and only consider previous Ryder Cup performances as enhancing somebody's chances of getting picked.

I really don't care about the Ryder Cup anymore and I won't be watching it. It's just a bunch of neighbours representing geographical regions.
    Still it's obvious that many do care, how including players, so best players and maybe pick a guy within five spots of making it if his record in the Ryder Cup is outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

eagle eye wrote: »
    I really don't care about the Ryder Cup anymore and I won't be watching it. It's just a bunch of neighbours representing geographical regions.

Well you're in the minority there.

I think the Ryder cup is the best tournament in golf.

I imagine most would agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I think the Ryder cup is the best tournament in golf.

I imagine most would agree.

Probably Masters, Open, US Open then Ryder Cup, then PGA for me

• Registered Users Posts: 52,005 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ryder, Masters, Open, US Open and PGA.

• Advertisement

I'm well aware of that. Most people I know love it. I used to but just look at the Americans, it's less important to them than the President's Cup.
    It's really lost a lot too with so many of the Europeans living full time in the US.

Just look at the Americans, it's less important to them than the President's Cup.

Now that's just not true

I'm well aware of that. Most people I know love it. I used to but just look at the Americans, it's less important to them than the President's Cup.
    It's really lost a lot too with so many of the Europeans living full time in the US.

The President's Cup is a poor man's Ryder Cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Are you American? Can't be easy watching the Europeans dominate in recent times.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

You must be joking?? There is not one top golfer who rates the Presidents cup over the Ryder Cup???

• Advertisement

The only reason they might like the presidents cup is because they have a chance of winning that one. Have they ever lost ?
    I can imagine the Ryder cup is a chore for them to be beaten time and time again by vastly inferior players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

+1

Rikand wrote:
    The only reason they might like the presidents cup is because they have a chance of winning that one. Have they ever lost ? I can imagine the Ryder cup is a chore for them to be beaten time and time again by vastly inferior players
    I'd imagine for any American under 30 that playing the rest of the world is a much bigger deal than playing just Europe.
    I'm no a fan of it either. A tournament between the US and the rest of the world including Europe is probably the way to go now. That'd be made up of all golfers in the top 30 in the world right now.
    People want to talk about history, Ryder Cup in it's present format is only about 15 years older than the President's Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I'd imagine for any American under 30 that playing the rest of the world is a much bigger deal than playing just Europe.
    I'm no a fan of it either. A tournament between the US and the rest of the world including Europe is probably the way to go now. That'd be made up of all golfers in the top 30 in the world right now.
    People want to talk about history, Ryder Cup in it's present format is only about 15 years older than the President's Cup.

I will disagree with you on that, you ask any american professional golfer what team he would rather make and its the Ryder Cup every time. Justin Thomas said it was his biggest honor in golf making the last Ryder Cup team in 2018....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I will disagree with you on that, you ask any american professional golfer what team he would rather make and its the Ryder Cup every time. Justin Thomas said it was his biggest honor in golf making the last Ryder Cup team in 2018....

There was a time, before the Europeans became involved, when the Ryder Cup was not regarded with much importance and was dying on its feet. The Americans, in particular, regarded it as a bit of a nuisance which interfered with their off season activities such as fishing and shooting.
    The Americans used to win practically every time with whatever team they put out and didn’t regard it as much of an achievement to do so.
    I think there it’s much more importance attached to the Ryder Cup in Europe than in America because of the preeminence of the PGA. Many European tour players regard the Ryder Cup as their only chance to play against the ‘big boys’ .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Many European tour players regard the Ryder Cup as their only chance to play against the ‘big boys’ .

Like who?

The majority if not all of the European Ryder Cup team will be playing on the USPGA tour or at the very minimum all the majors and WGC events. In fact Viktor Perez is the only one in with a chance that doesn't play regularly on the US tour and that will most likely change next year

There was a time, before the Europeans became involved, when the Ryder Cup was not regarded with much importance and was dying on its feet. The Americans, in particular, regarded it as a bit of a nuisance which interfered with their off season activities such as fishing and shooting.
    The Americans used to win practically every time with whatever team they put out and didn’t regard it as much of an achievement to do so.
    I think there it’s much more importance attached to the Ryder Cup in Europe than in America because of the preeminence of the PGA. Many European tour players regard the Ryder Cup as their only chance to play against the ‘big boys’ .

That's not really it though. The pre-eminence of the Ryder Cup is down to human psychology and the fact it's a team event.

Professional golfers rarely have the opportunity to play as part of a team and to enjoy the associated camaraderie. To be representing something bigger than yourself - country or continent - is a big deal for them too.

Playing for pride instead of money when you're already fabulously wealthy is pretty cool too. The players love it as exemplified by Rory's about turn after playing in his first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Playing for pride instead of money when you're already fabulously wealthy is pretty cool too. The players love it as exemplified by Rory's about turn after playing in his first one.

Agreed.

I also feel the Americans get a bit of a raw deal in talking about their "love" of the Ryder cup. I listen to No laying up podcast & the number of top players who have a focus on qualifying for Ryder cup surprised me. Maybe in some cases giving the response they are expected to give - but not all of them. The recent Hunter Mahan was interesting in that regard too...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Very poor field, relatively speaking, for the Texas Open. I think Tony Fineau is the highest ranked player in the field with nobody from the top 10 and only a handful of the top 50. They must be all saving their energy for the Masters.
    I don’t think that the sponsors will be amused.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Very poor field, relatively speaking, for the Texas Open. I think Tony Fineau is the highest ranked player in the field with nobody from the top 10 and only a handful of the top 50. They must be all saving their energy for the Masters.

And Spieth only playing cos it’s in Texas !

• Advertisement

Thats what happens to any event sandwiched in between a WGC and a major.

The Honda was in between The Players and the Matchplay and Jack Nicklaus made no secret in announcing his disappointment that the field wasnt as strong as it normally would be.

The strength of field for the Valero (206) is better than it was for the Honda (179)

I’d rather watch the first woman’s major than this Texas open.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yep, Majors, WGCs, RC and the ole Olympics this year. Sandwich heaven

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I’d rather watch the first woman’s major than this Texas open.

I think I’ll take this one back after watching it last night. They follow the same few players and show far to much of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

It’s been a few years since I had a bet on anything, but I’ve got a sneaking feeling that having a few bob on Rory to win the Masters next week might not be the worst idea ever. Not sure why, but it just seems to resonate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

It’s around the strength it normally is. High 30’s to 40 for winner. Great chance for the lower ranked players to win one or get good points

abff wrote: »
    It’s been a few years since I had a bet on anything, but I’ve got a sneaking feeling that having a few bob on Rory to win the Masters next week might not be the worst idea ever. Not sure why, but it just seems to resonate.

Judging by how he's been playing recently plus the coaching change I'd consider that to be a poor enough bet, particularly given his odds (14/1 last time I checked).

I'd put your money on Spieth instead at similar odds.

2 shot lead for Spieth with one hole to play. He's been brilliant today. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

2 shot lead for Spieth with one hole to play. He's been brilliant today. Great to see.

Really well deserved. He has been brilliant all weekend when it really mattered. He has to be in the mix for the masters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Delighted for him. Some performance under pressure. That pitch he played on 15 was so ballsy.

Advertisement