Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

We really need to get to the point where it is an automatic 2 shot penalty if a player doesn't shout fore left/right with a wayward swing. Sometimes I think players are happy to get a nice bounce from an arm/torso/leg/head that they might not have got if a spectator was forewarned about a ball coming for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭GillLebowski

Frisbee wrote: »
    I don't think they were saying people were intentionally doing it today. The point was over the next few days there's a good chance players will see it as a handy bailout spot. Big target, no fear of suffering a penalty and a nice flat lie as the grass has already been well trampled down. I mean if you are leading by 2 shots coming down 18 on Sunday it's a no brainer to hit it in there really.

I take you point on moving the pin to the short side to make it a harder second shot, and they surely will as it gives you no bailout but they won't do that all three days. It's absolutely a strategy used by players, look at Pebble a few months ago where they were peppering the hospitality tent.

Fair, I wasn't even thinking about the Sunday. Top left corner and Sunday could be Middle left...
    bren2001 wrote: »
    NLU reported Keegan Bradley saying "I hope the fans over there have helmets on because theres plenty more of this coming" - (or something to that effect).

I don't think anybody is suggesting people are aiming to hit fans but choosing that as your starting point and try and hit a fade off them seems the sensible play. If it goes well, you're in a great spot. If not, you get a free drop in a great area. It's still not easy to make par from there but very hard to make double.

It'll be a joke on Sunday if someone is leading by 2 going into 18.

Sorry, clearly I was tired after 12+ hours of golf yesterday :pac:

That's what I meant, players will aim to hit a fade but if it doesn't come off, they're safe enough up beside the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Must be 5 and a half hour rounds? Pace of play must be brutal.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭Xander10

Nice start by Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Must be 5 and a half hour rounds? Pace of play must be brutal.
    I have it on the other screen and seen kopeka was only on 3 an hour after teeing off :confused:

• Advertisement

Tringale having a ropey few holes!!

Just lost 12 shots in 4 holes.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Tringale having a ropey few holes!!

Just lost 12 shots in 4 holes.

on 16-17-18

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

3 of the top 4 are safrican

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Rory off to his usual start...........straight into the water off the 10th tee!

Nice start from Phil but he'll surely blow up at some stage..

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Was there any feedback on if using measuring devices made a difference to pace of play last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Was there any feedback on if using measuring devices made a difference to pace of play last week?

Well Phil was using one and he was a nightmare. Slowness wise.

But a bit of gamesmanship going on there.

Probably need to see outside majors . As the pace of majors are almost dictated by the scale of the event.

Was it a once of experiment?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Spieth starts well in Texas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

where is Seamus Power....did he not get a guarantee based on his last finish?

gypsy79 wrote: »
    where is Seamus Power....did he not get a guarantee based on his last finish?

The tournament this week is an invitational, so the only way that Seamus could have gotten into both this weeks Charles Schwab Challenge and Memorial tournament events is if he won that Byron Nelson Championship. Top 10's from the Byron Nelson not otherwise qualified with have to wait for the new tournament in South Carolina two weeks from today on the PGA Tour to make their next start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

A classic Spieth round today, hits it all over the shop off the tee but brilliant with the irons and shoots 66. You'd have to fancy him to beat Kokrak tomorrow. Everyone else is too far back I think.

Kokrak wins in the end. He was solid enough in fairness to him, it can't have been easy with the massively pro Spieth crowd. Spieth was awful and did very well to get round in 73. Could've easily shot 80. Still moves to second in the FedEx standings.

Looking forward to the memorial next week

Not PGA Tour per se but I see Alex Cejka has won his first two senior major starts after only turning 50 a few months back. Good for him, not exactly a name you'd have expected to take the champions tour by storm. He beat Stricker down the stretch on both occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not PGA Tour per se but I see Alex Cejka has won his first two senior major starts after only turning 50 a few months back. Good for him, not exactly a name you'd have expected to take the champions tour by storm. He beat Stricker down the stretch on both occasions.

Stricker pretty much beat himself this time around, shot +7 for his final round. It was a very comfortable win for Cejka, great start to his senior career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Glad the local lad didn't win.

The groans from the crowd when Kokrak bridied 13 was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Glad the local lad didn't win.

The groans from the crowd when Kokrak bridied 13 was brilliant.

It’s fairly natural for fans to support a local player. Why would you take pleasure in seeing their disappointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

I only saw the last 6 holes of the whole tournament, it was a great watch..

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Delighted Kokrak won.

I admire Spieth's battling qualities and his ability to turn potentially bad rounds into good ones.

However, his incessant on course commentary does my head in and must be really annoying for his playing partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    However, his incessant on course commentary does my head in and must be really annoying for his playing partners.

I completely disagree. He wears his heart on his sleeve and it's one of the reasons he's compelling to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    Delighted Kokrak won.

I admire Spieth's battling qualities and his ability to turn potentially bad rounds into good ones.

Probably the reason I love to watch him. Outside of Rory/Lowry/Harrington, he's easily my favorite player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

He certainly divides opinions, FWIW I am with Mac on this one, find him incredibly annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Chalk me down to the Spieth fan club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

The Non-Spieth club here as well.

No issue over talent or anything (in fact I like that he isn't a huge hitter and has made is way back), but the incessant chatter drives me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

boccy23 wrote: »
    The Non-Spieth club here as well.

No issue over talent or anything (in fact I like that he isn't a huge hitter and has made is way back), but the incessant chatter drives me mad.

Non speith fan club as well, bit of a spoilt child, and genuinely thinks he's unlucky, even though it's the complete opposite. The amount of lucky breaks he gets is ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I love the incessant chatter. He reminds me of me.

Which means there's 4 guys above me here who would be in non-rikand fan club by association :D

Advertisement