Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I am not a fan of this weeks tournament in New Orleans - a team event .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Me neither, but think part of the problem is the coverage, however bad it is in normal tournaments, at least the back 9 on Sunday is usually pretty good. They are just not set up to follow teams, especially in the foursome format, you really need to see every shot on the entire hole, but when do you ever get that?!

How are the teams decided ? Seems a bit unfair that morikawa hovland are together

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

He was the same in the playoff against Dechambeau last Autumn and against Lowry in the Ryder cup, think he's just a cold personality win or lose. Between that and his glacial play he's a hard fella to cheer for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,523 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I like him a lot, he's a very consistent player and when he's on he has a real killer attitude which I love.

He's a pretty ordinary guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I thought it was seeded where the top seeded guys get to choose any partner they want from the unseeded but guess that must be wrong as surely Morikawa and Hovland would be both seeded.

I actually think this tournament is quite fun. It is much better than matchplay tournaments at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

One member of the team needs to be exempt to play in the tournament. They can then choose whoever they want to be their partner as long as that person has some sort of PGA tour status e.g. Bill Haas was exempt and he chose Jay Haas, as Jay has past champions' status.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It's funny you say that because every time Ryder cup rolls around I hear a lot of people saying golf needs more interesting tournaments other than just 4 x stroke play rounds week after week.

Shows the greed, winning mentality, competitiveness (call it what you like) to select the next best guy available like Hovland and Morikawa, Xander and Cantlay etc.

Love Bill picking his Dad, great memories for them. Hovland picked a fellow Norwegian and maybe college mate last year.

If you're a top guy in the sport and you've a chance to change the career trajectory of a friend, wouldn't you take it?

Brooks used to play in this and give his brother a chance to get a Tour card. Matt Wallace is giving Sam Horsefield a PGA Tour start. If they were to win, he'd have a full card and you don't know where he could end up.

There's more to life than money and ranking points, it's one tournament in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

I can never get my head around the mentality of the guys on tour. To think of a specific case recently, I remember hearing about how tough it was for Shane Lowry recently that he was away so much after his baby was born. I did have sympathy for him, but there was a massive cavaet that it was entirely his decision to be away those weeks! They've no need for money and given his status in the game, ranking and the major in his back pocket, he'd have no trouble getting into big events if he did decide to take a couple of months off.

I have zero doubt that if I had the talent of these guys, I would still be a million miles from the tour, because I would never deem the sacrifices they make to be worth it. I can't get my head around guys not taking a couple of months off of essentially paternity leave. If you missed playing in a major or two while at the peak of your career, it would be well worth it. So what if you finish your career without a major win and you thought you were playing really well and the courses were perfect for your game. Looking back, you'd be proud of deciding to help your wife and spend time with your new baby rather than take the chance to be a major winner. But if you've made it on tour, that's just not going to be your mentality.

I do think it's a bit surprising that you don't see more guys take a break from the game though when they get to the later stages of their career. I'm thinking of the guys in their 40s, were at the top of the game but now are top 50/100, might nick a win or some high finishes, but never going to be one of the guys talked about going into a major again. I find it strange that you don't hear more often of them taking 6 months or a year off to do something else, just to try life without traveling around the world for golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

mentality is what makes these people get to where they are.

the rest of your statement is irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Total nonsense. These guys are the elite players in the world. You think they’re going to work as hard as they have to done to get where they are to take a 6 month break in a season? Come off it. The top 20 in the world have plenty money made and are more or less qualified for every tournament so they can pick and choose their events.

You’re conveniently forgetting that most if not all of the players you’re referring to are millionaires ten times over. Most bring their families with them if they’re doing a three or four week run through tournaments and most if not all will have access to private air travel so can be back home with the wife and kids within a couple of hours of walking off the 18th green on a Sunday evening.

The pros are giving a glimpse of how they'd get on playing in Ireland on a regular basis. Cold wet course and they're struggling big time in Washington. Maybe we're not as bad as we think! 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Plenty of talk about "heavy air" ffs that's what we've to deal with every week!

Course looks like it could be in Ireland, small greens, water lots of trees!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

McIlroy one of a handful under par, must've rained in the North sometimes too!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

It's all such a drama when the pros get weather other than blue skies and +20 degrees of heat. Anything less, and a puff of wind, and you see them donning their hats and mittens. Poor old lads like Matt Fitzpatrick.. I mean he must never have known what it was like growing up in a maratime climate.

OK, they got bad luck with the weather at the Wells Fargo, but I've said it before; more events should be played in cool/cold weather to test these guys.

Some round from Munoz ! Course record ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Not sure where to post this...but seeing as it happened on the PGA Tour.

Justin Rose's round on Sunday had 13 3's on his card and that included a bogey on a par 3, surely that must be some sort of record!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I think its the lowest ever score with 3 bogeys on the card or something like that. He could have had a 58 as the last 2 bogeys were avoidable.

59 was mentioned a lot by the commentators, it always annoys me when they get excited about a 59 as they aren't all equal. a 59 on a par72 is far more impressive than a 59 on a par 70.

• Advertisement

I disagree, most par 70's are much tougher than par 72's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Maybe, but -13 is more impressive than -11 in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Allinall

How come big Phil and Bryson are listed as playing in the US open this week?

I thought the PGA banned them after playing in the LIV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭Xander10

I think they are honouring a prior agreement but future bans likely.

USGA runs the US Open. None of the Majors are run by the PGA Tour.

Well many times on a par 70 there's two holes which are normally par fives which are changed to par fours. So they are a birdie in three on a par 70 whereas they are an eagle in three on a par 72.

I wonder what type of reception the LIV players will get

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Champagne

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

They had already qualified before they played in the first LIV event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭Xander10

Phil looked nervous on first tee. A good drive and warm applause from the crowd

Shane in the rough

Advertisement