Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

The US Open have managed to create a website even more terrible than the PGA Tour mess. The shot tracker is about 10 minutes behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Crazy the amount of qualifiers towards the top of the leaderboard!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Who is the leader MJ Daffue ! Surprised no thread for the US open

• Registered Users Posts: 38,523 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Michael Thorbjorsen looks like another potential American golf superstar. The young US amateur currently in second place in the Travelers Championship heading towards the back nine. Wonder will LIV golf and Greg Norman tempt him away from the PGA tour is the big question? Looks a star in the making for sure whatever the future holds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

I was watching the seniors open, so I didn’t see much of tonight’s PGA tour event. But WTF happened to Patrick Cantlay today? 6 over with only 3 pars in 18 holes!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

On one of the par 3s he chucked the tee shot and barely made the water. Still only made bogey there in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Harding making the most of his exemption!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

That was a complete melt down from Willet,3 putt from inside 4ft hands Homa,who chipped in on 18,the title, unbelievable finish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Mad stuff but Willet shut himself down after Homa duffed his bunker shot and thought he was home and dry. You could see his face when Homa pitched in he had to force a smile but you could see how rattled he was. He had to wait another 2 mins then to actually hit his putt. I’m not a Willet fan but he played some lovely golf this evening and holed some serious putts too but it’s no good to him now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

He must be absolutely sick, such a way to lose it. Homa’s chip was flying, was very lucky it dropped and for Willett to 3 put from 3’6”…

Cost himself a 3 year exemption on PGA Tour as well 😬

Oh this will absolutely haunt him for a while. That tournament was one of the weakest full events on the tour all season, he won’t get many easier opportunities to win a tournament. Especially from the position he was in as well. Those kind of meltdowns are very hard to recover from at that level because the players know how hard it is to get themselves in that kind of position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I was gutted for Willett. He seemed to hammer that first putt. Was he trying to take the break out of it or just pure adrenaline? I like Homa too but very tough on Danny.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Unreal, long recovery from that, won't sleep for a few weeks I'd bet

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Mentally he was out of it. You could see by his reaction that he was totally shocked by what Homa did. The tournament was over. A fraction of an inch either side of the pin and Homa’s ball would have ended up 60 feet away. The angle that Willet would have been watching the shot from was shown last night afterwards and the ball was absolutely motoring.

In Willet’s eyes, when he stuck his wedge to 3 feet the tournament was over. He lost focus and couldn’t get it back in time. Waiting around for the other chap in the group to finish out didn’t help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Might haunt him but he can throw on the green jacket and remember that sometimes you're the one benefitting from the meltdown.

I can't agree with this. It was a compete meltdown. It doesn't matter what other people do. If you are not feeling it you go up and mark the ball again, go back and read it again and take a couple of breadths. They all know that and you have to remember it in those spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Jaysus it was far from a complete meltdown, that’s pretty harsh.

he got kicked in the teeth when that chip went in the hole. It made his putt so so so much harder.

It didn't make his put more difficult. Anybody who would think like that will never win anything.

What it meant was he had to make sure to hole it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Spieth at the Masters was a meltdown. I'd see Willett's as a mere brain fart compared to that.

I could have sworn I said he had a meltdown. Homa’s chip in fried his brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭coillcam

Didn't see much of the golf over the weekend tbh. Just caught up on last night's result.

Tom Kim with his 2nd win on pga tour before turning 21. Tiger being the only other member of this club.

Had some great performances in the President's cup also. Now jumped to 21 in owgr ranking and just behind Lowry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Only 3rd golfer to win a tournament without a bogey either I think I saw. Fairly impressive stuff

Didn't see it but Cantlay supposedly blew it with a triple bogey on 18, and that included sinking a 36 ft putt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I posted about this in the LIV thread too but has any of you noticed a change in how much golf you are watching since LIV came on the scene? I don’t watch LIV and I noticed I have been watching less PGA Tour but slightly more DP World Tour. Overall I’m watching less golf.

I’ll probably watch the bigger PGA and DP tournaments and definitely all the majors.

I think it has a lot to do with the stage of the season, distance from next Major etc... I would generally watch less around this time of the year. (That changed somewhat when Seamus was making his move but he was the only reason really.)

It's just not a very exciting time of the season in general I find.

Personally the a feeling that there'll be "no real winners" from the LIV/PGA scenario has sunk in for me leaving me a bit deflated about the whole thing in general and interest levels are at a low.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Needed a par for a playoff and hit his tee shot into the cabbage. Instead of taking a drop and opting for second place, decided to try take on the hero shot and it didn't pay off. Admire him for going for the shot

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Yes he did go all or nothing, but I think his first shot out of the cabbage - the drop option was almost a case of the devil you know, I don't think there was any drop that even gave him a chance of getting close to green/up and down. I guess his thinking was without the drop, advance to fairway/rough somewhere & get up and down from 120 yards for par. If he took a drop he'd have to get up and down from ~ 170/180y for par, with no gurantee the drop wouldn't be as bad a lie as the waste area was bad.

Also I admire him for it as well. He's now in a situation where it was win or nothing for him (because he was tied for the lead on the tee). If he was 1 or 2 shots back and after drive knew he couldn't win - I think we'd have seen a different approach

• Advertisement

Certainly has a lot to do with the time of the season. This used to be the off-season.

I check scores early on a Sunday and if it looks like there could be a good battle I might tune in.

The season starts for me at the Farmer's. Everybody is looking to hit form then.

Advertisement