Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Is George Gibney?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

Does anyone else feels that John Mullins and Peter Banks know more than they let on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Menelaun wrote: »
    Does anyone else feels that John Mullins and Peter Banks know more than they let on?

100%

Banks’ “I don’t remember but I may have writen the letter” is horse****!

what are the requirements for the gardai pursuing a new file - cases that weren't involved in the previous court cases?

what are the chances of getting an extradition if they went ahead I wonder?

glasso wrote: »
    what are the requirements for the gardai pursuing a new file - cases that weren't involved in the previous court cases?

what are the chances of getting an extradition if they went ahead I wonder?

Yeah I think they just need to be new cases not previously involved in the failed previous case.

If charged in his absence they’d have an excellent case for extradition; the fear would be if he flees the USA before that time and disappears into South America or the Far East

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I just finished listening to all ten episodes together. It was an interesting listen and I am delighted that the podcast has encouraged new victims to come forward, making it an important podcast. However I must say that it had a huge amount of flaws. The title is nonsense, they knew where he was from the get go.

The stuff in America where they are following Gibney is pointless, it should have been left out and instead the podcast should have purely been based on the story behind Gibney and interviews with survivors etc. The producers tried to promote it as something it wasn't and so it ended up being a frustrating listen.

Fingers crossed that legally something can be done with all the new victims coming forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

punchdrunk wrote: »
    100%

Banks’ “I don’t remember but I may have writen the letter” is horse****!

His story of him turning up at the pool and never seen no him again is so fishy.

I bet he knows John Gibney quite well.

Mullins was a tool, got thrown off the board of swim Ireland over what he said on the podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I just finished listening to all ten episodes together. It was an interesting listen and I am delighted that the podcast has encouraged new victims to come forward, making it an important podcast. However I must say that it had a huge amount of flaws. The title is nonsense, they knew where he was from the get go.

The stuff in America where they are following Gibney is pointless, it should have been left out and instead the podcast should have purely been based on the story behind Gibney and interviews with survivors etc. The producers tried to promote it as something it wasn't and so it ended up being a frustrating listen.

Fingers crossed that legally something can be done with all the new victims coming forward.

I'm up to Episode 8 now. There's certainly a lot of padding in there. I'm guessing they were contracted to provide the 5 or 6 hours of material and had to fill it out with all the dramatic car chase stuff, which doesn't really work in audio only.

Susan's case broke my heart - an Olympic class swimmer whose life was literally destroyed by that fúcker having his jollies to the extent that she is permanently in an institution - a whole-of-life sentence for her.

You'd have to wonder about Gibney's financial situation. If he's been mostly volunteering in recent years, what the hell does he actually live off? USA is no place for the destitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,054 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wondering what he put down on his green card application form.

Don't you have to disclose to US immigration if you've been charged with a serious offence?

If he lied to US immigration and they can be arsed, then his feet won't touch the ground on his way back here

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Don't you have to disclose to US immigration if you've been charged with a serious offence?

If he lied to US immigration and they can be arsed, then his feet won't touch the ground on his way back here

Charged or convicted?

https://www.otbsports.com/other-sports/olympian-gary-otoole-on-george-gibney-he-snuck-into-my-bedroom-242040

Irvin Muchnik had some limited success checking the paperwork around the Green Card application

• Advertisement

Did anyone listen to the bonus Q&A episode? Looks like you have to download the BBC app to access this. Is it worth it?

Menelaun wrote: »
    His story of him turning up at the pool and never seen no him again is so fishy.

I bet he knows John Gibney quite well.

Mullins was a tool, got thrown off the board of swim Ireland over what he said on the podcast

Yes, sounded like a pack of lies to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

100% Banks’ “I don’t remember but I may have writen the letter” is horse****!

I did find that odd as well. Surely at the time, if he had written the letter vouching for Gibney, a cold pulse would have gone through his body when he heard of the allegations against Gibney. The sort of thing that would keep you sleepless at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

If he's been mostly volunteering in recent years, what the hell does he actually live off? USA is no place for the destitute.

And certainly not Florida.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I’ve read 18 new victims have come forward, you have to give them the credit for that.

I was very critical of the podcast at the start for the whole Miami Vica car chase nonsense that they went on with. But at the end of the day, they did the State some service. And hopefully the podcast will lead to some sort of action being taken against George Gibney.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Creol1 wrote: »
    And certainly not Florida.

Wondered exact same thing all way through, where is his money coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Larsso30 wrote: »
    Wondered exact same thing all way through, where is his money coming from?

Not really sure where the above confusion about his money is coming from.

They were saying throughout he was working in all the places he lived and they followed him to some place in florida where they suspected he worked too.

Mentioned many times he lives with another man. Most likely some sort of sexual partner relationship and that person could be loaded. They didn't explore that much.

Beersmith wrote: »
    Not really sure where the above confusion about his money is coming from.

They were saying throughout he was working in all the places he lived and they followed him to some place in florida where they suspected he worked too.

Mentioned many times he lives with another man. Most likely some sort of sexual partner relationship and that person could be loaded. They didn't explore that much.

They said he was volunteering at the last workplace, the hospice.

It could indeed be living off the partner, but even that would e a bit unusual in itself.

Anyway, just in case you run into the bloke out and about;

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/where-is-george-gibney-podcast-releases-new-photograph-1.4469271

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

The production and approach taken re Florida is not to everyone s liking but I'm not sure how else you go about making a project like this.

It seems that the first thing they did was go find/follow gibney around before interviewing the victims.

Which I guess makes sense??

They seem to use the Florida audio chase material as audiobeds to break up each episode to go from victim to victim or to interviewee.

I think they have done a good service just to highlight how fcuked up the state and gibneys friends were to help him. It's a harrowing podcast and as a parent makes me to just want to hug my kids.

Hopefully it will lead to some closure (as much as possible) for the victims - their bravery is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deekster

I'd say the news today* concerning Trent Reznor is going down well over at SC Towers.

*(innocent until proven guilty, etc)...

deekster wrote: »
    I'd say the news today* concerning Trent Reznor is going down well over at SC Towers.

*(innocent until proven guilty, etc)

what's the relevance?

what's the relevance?

Do you mean Aaron Dessner? Not Trent Reznor?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What was the reason actually reason he got away with it on trail ?

Was it just to much time had passed ?

Was there someone in the judicial system who had his back ? if so that person who made that call needs to be named and questioned ,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

What was the reason actually reason he got away with it on trail ?

Was it just to much time had passed ?

Was there someone in the judicial system who had his back ? if so that person who made that call needs to be named and questioned ,

Am it was detailed in the early episodes of the podcast if you listened?

Theres a link from another post dated 12/09/2020 earlier in this thread if you don't want to bother listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

BPKS wrote: »
    Am it was detailed in the early episodes of the podcast if you listened?

Theres a link from another post dated 12/09/2020 earlier in this thread if you don't want to bother listening.

Cheers mate,
    I listened its just that episode was so long ago now ,

it was alleged that too long of a time had passed (not sure we actually had official statute of limitations guidelines in law at the time)
    the judge agreed with the defense in this regard and dismissed the case

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

it was alleged that too long of a time had passed (not sure we actually had official statute of limitations guidelines in law at the time)
    the judge agreed with the defense in this regard and dismissed the case

That's right. The complaints weren't excluded by any statute of limitations. The argument was that the lapse of time combined with the allegedly imprecise nature of the allegations meant Gibney wouldn't be able to mount a proper defence. The DPP could have appealed the judgment but didn't.

The courts changed their attitude to historic offending once they were forced to deal with all the historic sex abuse allegations that came to light later in the 1990s and there have been many convictions where the time lapse has actually been significantly greater than was the case for Gibney. He wouldn't have got off today so that's why it's interesting that the Gardaí are looking at new allegations which could potentially be prosecuted afresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Creol1 wrote: »
    That's right. The complaints weren't excluded by any statute of limitations. The argument was that the lapse of time combined with the allegedly imprecise nature of the allegations meant Gibney wouldn't be able to mount a proper defence. The DPP could have appealed the judgment but didn't.

The courts changed their attitude to historic offending once they were forced to deal with all the historic sex abuse allegations that came to light later in the 1990s and there have been many convictions where the time lapse has actually been significantly greater than was the case for Gibney. He wouldn't have got off today so that's why it's interesting that the Gardaí are looking at new allegations which could potentially be prosecuted afresh.

Yes, it was just slightly before a rush of similar historic abuse cases coming before the courts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,054 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Love to know how those who got Gibney off can sleep at night

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement