Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfords bicycyle carrier

Options
  • 27-08-2020 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

I bought their Advanced 3 Bike Towbar Mounted Bike Rack & fitted it for a journey on to hitch for a journey to dingle with 3 bikes. while it originally fitted tightly to hitch & stayed in place, by the time we were halfway there it was beginning to get loose on the hitch & needed to be strapped to the boot to keep it in place. luckily enough we were able to get the bikes onto someone else car for the return as it is as so loose it can barely stand up on its own even though its supposed be a universal hitch. (Mondeo car which should be fairly universal & have used similar style racks before with no issue)

has anyone else ever encountered similar issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

bluestone wrote: »
    I bought their Advanced 3 Bike Towbar Mounted Bike Rack & fitted it for a journey on to hitch for a journey to dingle with 3 bikes. while it originally fitted tightly to hitch & stayed in place, by the time we were halfway there it was beginning to get loose on the hitch & needed to be strapped to the boot to keep it in place. luckily enough we were able to get the bikes onto someone else car for the return as it is as so loose it can barely stand up on its own even though its supposed be a universal hitch. (Mondeo car which should be fairly universal & have used similar style racks before with no issue)

has anyone else ever encountered similar issues?

Not familiar with the particular rack, but if you've used hitch racks before with no issue, and given that it fitted fine at the outset, sounds like you've got a faulty sample. Back to Halfords with it I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

I've the 4 bike version, and it never moves, even when fully loaded. Same as above, back to the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

JMcL wrote: »
    Not familiar with the particular rack, but if you've used hitch racks before with no issue, and given that it fitted fine at the outset, sounds like you've got a faulty sample. Back to Halfords with it I'd say

Agreed. Towbar (well the ball part) shapes and sizes are consistent, regardless of make of car etc. Sounds like the rack is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've the 4 bike towbar rack, it bounces about a bit while driving but I've never had it actually shift on the towball itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

I would have thought hitches would be a standard size alright. Thanks for replies

• Advertisement
Advertisement