Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment laws

Options
  • 27-08-2020 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Im employed as a contractor for the last 8 years with a company, Im also a named director. I have been listed as a director for longer, 15 years plus and was previously an employee of the same company for 12 years before I was made a contractor. If the business I work for is sold do I have any rights at all? Appreciate any opinions or maybe someone can point me where I can go to ask, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

You have the right to act in the interest of the company and its members..... Hang on, that's a responsibility.

What does the contract between you and the company say?

The only argument i can think of is you're actually an employee and not a contractor.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

sanjose1 wrote: »
    Im employed as a contractor for the last 8 years with a company, Im also a named director.

Assuming that the company has taken all the standard precautions, I would say you are not "employed" as a contractor and don't have rights under the employment laws...

If that is not the case, then you may well be covered by employment law, it is not something that you'll a reliable answer to on here. Seek proper legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Rights to what exactly?

Bit of a funny situation to be a director and a contractor.

Director has all the responsibilities, and a contractor has no benefits, other than probably being paid a bit more.

A buyout would generally mean employees are kept, or possibly a reshuffle with some redundancies, using time are original company.

They are required to honour any existing employees conditions, years of service, pay level, holidays etc.

Contractors, if useful will be kept around, other wise can be let go without penalty.

Likely the directorship may be gone too if it is a proper buyout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I would talk to a solicitor.

Some of the answers you get here will be from 14 year olds. Don't take a chance on that advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Are you a contractor who is a director of an "umbrella" company who is providing services to a second company.

Or are you contracting directly to the company and you are also listed as a director

• Advertisement
Advertisement