Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid works PC

Options
  • 27-08-2020 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm grand picking parts for desktop pcs and gaming pc's but when it comes to solid works in out of my depths.

Anyways looking for a pc for solid works mainly and a bit of gaming on the side.

Budget is around 1,000 euro and I've the peripherals just need components and a case.

If there's any solid works experts out there that know what cpu/gpu Combo it works best on then any help would be appreciated.

Looking to try stay AMD for the gaming and general pc use side but was told Intel seems better for solid works?

Any help appreciated guys thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Raw clock speed is all that matters for Solidworks which is why more people go with Intel. The extra cores that Ryzen offers are of no real use to you.

You can use a gaming card but it might let you down once you get into larger assemblies/rendering. A Quadro will definitely stand to you here. No contest. But of course that won't be great for games. It's not really possible to have your cake and eat it I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Rob2D wrote: »
    Raw clock speed is all that matters for Solidworks which is why more people go with Intel. The extra cores that Ryzen offers are of no real use to you.

You can use a gaming card but it might let you down once you get into larger assemblies/rendering. A Quadro will definitely stand to you here. No contest. But of course that won't be great for games. It's not really possible to have your cake and eat it I'm afraid.

I would say that Solidworks isn't the most demanding software.

You can easily run it on a gaming PC. Wont be optimised, but you may never even notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I would say that Solidworks isn't the most demanding software.

You can easily run it on a gaming PC. Wont be optimised, but you may never even notice.

If he's doing any serious designing, he'll notice. But if it's just single parts and smaller assemblies then sure it'll be fine.

A Titan may be a good middle of the road. I remember my Titan xp (while obviously scoring quite high for gaming) did exceptionally well in CAD applications. Unusually so even. I'm not sure if all Titans perform this way but may be worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice, apologies the computer will be for college. Cant imagine we will be doing astronomical stuff with it.

Was thinking the RX580 8GB for now with a 3600, 32GB Ram as well, or any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice, apologies the computer will be for college. Cant imagine we will be doing astronomical stuff with it.

Was thinking the RX580 8GB for now with a 3600, 32GB Ram as well, or any suggestions?

Then you definitely won't need too much power.
    That spec alone is probably miles better than whatever PCs your college uses for Solidworks.

If you're into gaming then go for a gaming build. No point building a crazy Solidworks Pc and never maxxing it, while gaming performance suffers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement