Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Recommend a book on Family Finance.

• 27-08-2020 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a book on Family Finance. Colm Rapple used to do one but he passed away a few years ago.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

I was a big fan of Colm Rapple's book every year, he saved me a fortune at one stage!

Anyway John Lowe The Money Doctor does something similar but Colm's was more down to earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

phormium wrote: »
    I was a big fan of Colm Rapple's book every year, he saved me a fortune at one stage!

Anyway John Lowe The Money Doctor does something similar but Colm's was more down to earth.

Great stuff. Does he do one every year or is it a one off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

Fairly sure he does one every year.

phormium wrote: »
    Fairly sure he does one every year.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,136 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes both those books are good, I think they usually release them shortly after the budget in October when tax changes come in to play.

Edit, sadly Colm passed away in 2015, RIP
    https://www.superannrte.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4540:death-of-colm-rapple-economist-journalist-and-author&catid=18&Itemid=103

John Lowe book came out in December 2019, assume another will be out in December 2020 to take in budget changes.
    https://www.easons.com/money-doctors-2020-john-lowe-9781788491631

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

The total money makeover by Rave Ramsey - No nonsense, a bit preachy and Americanized but it works .

niallers1 wrote: »
    The total money makeover by Rave Ramsey - No nonsense, a bit preachy and Americanized but it works .

Not sure how this would be relevant for people in Ireland but I'll check it out Thanks

Yes both those books are good, I think they usually release them shortly after the budget in October when tax changes come in to play.

Edit, sadly Colm passed away in 2015, RIP
    https://www.superannrte.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4540:death-of-colm-rapple-economist-journalist-and-author&catid=18&Itemid=103

John Lowe book came out in December 2019, assume another will be out in December 2020 to take in budget changes.
    https://www.easons.com/money-doctors-2020-john-lowe-9781788491631

Thanks for the Links

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

It's relevant to people anywhere in the world.
    It's the best book out there for anybody who carries consumer debt and for anybody who wants to get out of consumer debt and become financially secure.

The 401k bit is the Americanized part of it but most people know that this is a U.S. version of Contributory pension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

Not sure how this would be relevant for people in Ireland but I'll check it out Thanks

Dave has a lot of stuff on youtube if you want to check out his general style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

niallers1 wrote: »
    It's relevant to people anywhere in the world.
    It's the best book out there for anybody who carries consumer debt and for anybody who wants to get out of consumer debt and become financially secure.

The 401k bit is the Americanized part of it but most people know that this is a U.S. version of Contributory pension.

Once you use his advice to get out of debt, Dave Ramsey is not worth following at all. Advice is not great and would be pointless to read in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I'll recommend this book. I've already paid for it but I have not it yet, finishing a different book first

You Need a Budget: The Proven System for Breaking the Paycheck-to-Paycheck Cycle, Getting Out of Debt, and Living the Life You Want

Experience a life free of financial stress and transform your relationship to money with this indispensable guide—the first book based on You Need A Budget’s proven method that has helped hundreds of thousands of people break the paycheck to paycheck cycle, get out of debt, and live the life they want to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I'd agree with the John Lowe suggestion. It kind of covers most areas lightly but its a decent overview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Have look also at Eoin McGee's book. Very sensible and down to earth advice in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I'd agree with the John Lowe suggestion. It kind of covers most areas lightly but its a decent overview.

A well put together book. No need to buy the book every year aside from changes to income tax rates, bands very little changes in the world of budgeting/family finance year to year. Changes usually get plenty of coverage in the media or on consumer websites in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I have to say I find that Eoin McGee guy a bit annoying. With his salt and pepper.......
    His show is often interesting in that he often doesn't manage to convince people to be better with their finance. I suppose that is not his fault either though. I remember 1 show where the woman was saving for something and blew it all on a weekend in New York or somewhere! I think he basically admitted defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I have to say I find that Eoin McGee guy a bit annoying. With his salt and pepper.......
    His show is often interesting in that he often doesn't manage to convince people to be better with their finance. I suppose that is not his fault either though. I remember 1 show where the woman was saving for something and blew it all on a weekend in New York or somewhere! I think he basically admitted defeat.

Show is too much about light entertainment and coaxing lazy 20 somethings to get up off their arses and stop leeching off their parents. The subject of long term college savings came up in one episode and with little or no discussion he handed over a plan.

Advertisement