Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpet fit gone wrong

Options
  • 27-08-2020 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi all,

So got a new carpet last week, store provided me with the fitter and set up the fitter for me,

So the carpet fitter heavily damaged my newly painted and fitted wood panels, my damaged I mean all the paint needs to be redone and he also damaged the paint on new spindles and also the border under the panels again all newly painted.

Also the carpet had countless amounts of lose threads, and it’s very badly fitted basicky I can pull it up with one hand

So I contacted the store on Facebook and they won’t Notting to do with it as it’s not there problem as they only sold me the carpet and the fitter is who I have to deal with, basically I told them I have to get it all repainted and I won’t it done again by my painter

So they sent the fitter back up to me to have a look at the damage and he blamed me on it all saying the staircase is to small, my panels are done wrong, the paint was like that, every reason under the sun they said. He then said I send a painter up to you to fix it I said no problem have to be early or late as I be In mettings, he then lied said he went a painter up and I did not ans the door, I told him look I will get you a quote off my own painter

So got him a quote and my painter emailed it to me, I said to the fitter what’s your email or do you have what’s app as I will send on the quote to you he refused and told me drop it into the store I went no they told me to deal with you and I am and he did not reply

So he showed up today at the door with a painter, and went to walk into my house with my mask, I said to him you better put on a mask and he refused to and he didn’t have one but the painter he had with him had a mask for him,

So he said my painter was a rip off and that I refused to give him. A quote however I have in black and white asking for him to send me a email address so I can send a quote to him, he said I don’t deal that way it’s only paper I deal with and not anything to do with tech, I said this is 2020 all my trades man deal with tech,

Anyway his painter said he will only paint where it’s damgied and that’s it, I said it needs to he all done again and I reather have my painter do it, he went off on a huff then, as said your painter is a rip off and I went he has painted everything in my house and won’t him to do the fix up as I can trust him

So where do I stand on this ? Who do I go after to get my walls repainted form the damgie ? Who’s to Valencia the shop or the fitter ? And do you think I should start the small claim court

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Loose carpet threads on a new carpet? I'll guess you've never had new carpet before.

Totally normal.

Also do not vacuum the carpet for a week or two and then do it lightly. Allow the carpet settle.

As for the painting, they brought a painter to touch up the paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Darc19 wrote: »
    Loose carpet threads on a new carpet? I'll guess you've never had new carpet before.

Totally normal.

Also do not vacuum the carpet for a week or two and then do it lightly. Allow the carpet settle.

As for the painting, they brought a painter to touch up the paint.

Yes I had plenty of new carpets They just didn’t clean up the threads after, told me I am being ott expecting a clean job,

Turns out the painter they brought up was the other fitter not a proper painter, they will only paint the panels they damaged and the spindles they damaged they won’t do the full job they will only provide a patch job so different tones of paint, as white fades or is a diff tone even after a few weeks

Then the panels are painted with a high gloss wood paint, he will only paint over the damage parts and not the full panels again you will notice that it was patched you need to prime all panels and paint over them again to make it look like they have never been touched,

I just won’t to use my own painter who has painted all now house then some random guy who comes in to paint the stairs who is also a carpet fitter

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You want then to paint your entire hall and landing.

Sorry op but you are off the wall. Excuse the pun .

As for threads. Every fitted carpet will have pile left over probably for a month sometimes more.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Gota agree with comment already made, looking for them to repaint an entire hallway or an entire room is over the top,

You keep mentioning the kept saying your painter is a ripp off (maybe they are), what is your painter quoting and for what size of a room?

Just because you've used them for years doesn't mean they are not overcharging, I've seen plenty of people pay over the odds for painting.,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Did you pay the store directly for the fitter or pay them separately? One bill or two?
    If you paid the store as part of payment for the carpet then they are responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If the panels were only painted recently then you should be able to repaint just the damaged bits without them being obviously different, no?

The panels are badly damaged, the carpet fitter should have watched what he was doing when he was fitting the carpet, I expected a few marks at the bottom of the panels but not 3 foot high and on the hand rail, I am not looking for the full room to be painted only the wood panels, boards, hand rail and spindales, the boards only come up around 3 foot at most on the walls

In regards to my painter price any time I use him I get two or three quotes and my painter always cheapest, for the panels, board, handrail and spindles with the supply of paint and incudeing vat it’s 400, again way way cheaper if it was cash in hand, the same painter is due to do another job for me one bedroom and 3 ceilings for 300 With paint cash in hand.

I should not have to repaint my own panels after someone who I paid damaged them and pay for another tin of paint,

I paid the store for the carpet, on my dec it listed the price for the carpet and how much I have to pay my fitter on the day for the fitting

I am only looking for what was damgied to he fixed and I should not have to fix it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

so you want all wood basically to be painted.

Not reasonable. Yes he should touch up (or just simply clean) the areas that got marked. If they were simply painted recently and not dry well then im not sure its his issue at all.

But asking for all the woods to be done, no.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Any chance you could post pics of the damage? It's hard to know if repainting all the woodwork is a reasonable request without seeing how bad it is.

Some updates on this, carpet fitter has agreed to use my painter and for my painter to paint and fix the problem

My painter agreed to provide him a cash in hand price but on a quote

So case is closed now and my painter is starting in 3 weeks time

• Advertisement
Advertisement